• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent and A Machine for Pigs: Let us (Re)Play to prepare for SOMA

Dark Decent is amazing.
Machine for Pigs was not good. It felt so disjointed and never had the atmosphere of DD. Plus
pig rape....Seriously?

bender

What time is it?
Dark Descent is one of the few survival horror games I've ever been able to make it through but I'm not sure I have the heart for a second play through. I've wanted to try a Machine for Pigs but I'm not a huge fan of the The Chinese Room. I'll probably give SOMA a shot and quit after the first 10 minutes. /chicken

Verger

Banned
Huh, I thought AMFP had tremendous atmosphere. The environment and sound design was incredible and you heard every scrape and screech of the machinery around you in addition to the squeals. And the incredible music of Jessica Curry cannot be overstated.

I could see though many finding the writing becoming pretentious and ponderous at points. But then again considering the time period it fits, that's kind of how people wrote their musings back then. That said I think the musings and journals became way too overdone. I don't know if Everybody's Gone to the Rapture has the same amount of writing but I think TheChineseRoom did start to go overboard with the amount of reading you had to do to get the plot and understand character of Mandus.

It also didn't have the benefit for whatever reason not having Mandus' VA voice the journal entries as Daniel did in The Dark Descent. Wonder if it was a cost or creative choice.

Verger

Banned
From what TheChineseRoom said, it is up to Frictional to port the games. Unfortunately given that Frictional is only 14 people they simply have no time to do such things.

And after SOMA releases they will no doubt be busy supporting that game post-launch, and depending on its success may move forward with an Xbox One version and/or VR support, the things they couldn't do for launch with such limited manpower.

The other issue with Machine for Pigs was lack of any mods. Because TheChineseRoom used an updated/modified version of the HPL2 Engine that they didn't add mod support for. Fortunately SOMA on the new HPL3 engine will be mod-able at launch.

I wonder if anyone's asked Frictional whether they could get another outside developer to help porting their old games to console?

Dear Esther was a beautiful game/interactive visual story. Amnesia MFP? That was Dear Esther trying way too hard to be a survivor-horror game, with no survivor-horror aspect.

Lucael

I'm not sure if this is the right topic where to post this, but it looks like the more recent one on A Machine for Pigs...

I've started the game from a couple of hours and I'm getting huge framerate drops like from 60 to 30 in some areas. I've tried a couple of settings, and disabling v-sync seems results in a more stable fps but I get really bad tearing and it's unplayable.

Game settings are:
- Texture and Shadow Quality: High
- Texture Filter: Trilinear
- Anisotropy: 16x
- SSAO: disabled
- Edge Smooth and World Reflection: active
- Adaptive V-Sync is disabled, for V-Sync see above.

Here you can see my NVIDIA Inspector settings for the game.

My system settings:
GPU: GeForce GTX 970
CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P @3.10 GHZ
RAM: 8,00 GB
Actually I use a HDD and not a SSD.

Thanks for your help.

I didn't really enjoy AMFP. It looked great and the atmosphere was mostly there, but it didn't really resonate with me like the first Ammesia.

Hopefully SOMA is awesome though.

I thought Outlast was a better Amnesia game than AMFP.

Melchiah

Bought A Machine for Pigs, and downloaded The Dark Descent for free. The first games I've bought/downloaded from Steam.

hypotc

PSA: Amnesia: The Dark Descent is free on Steam now, just press "Install" on it to add it to your library.

Melchiah

Welcome to the wonderful world of Steam. Somehow I've ended up with 400+ games in two years

Heh. I won't be hoarding games from there, no matter the sales, as having a backlog distresses me. I may buy Dear Esther and Gone Home at some point though.

Melchiah

It all comes back to me why I left PC gaming in the first place. I tried to play the Amnesia sequel last night, but I couldn't save the Nvidia 3D settings on my laptop, and I sure as hell won't be playing the game with jaggies and screen tearing. I ended up fiddling with the settings more than I played the game.

I'm also already fed up with the Steam client, as it asks me to sign in every time I turn on the system, eventhough I've set it to not run on startup.

Am i the only one that liked Machine for Pigs more than Dark Descent?

I mean the Story in AMFP is brilliant. Might not be as much horror as Dark Descent but better in all the other ways.

Melchiah

I don't know what the fuck is wrong with Steam, but I can't set it to not run on startup, and as a result it asks me to sign in every day. Had to delete it altogether, which removed the games as well. I wish I could have these games on my system without Steam.

Persona7

Banned
Am i the only one that liked Machine for Pigs more than Dark Descent?

I mean the Story in AMFP is brilliant. Might not be as much horror as Dark Descent but better in all the other ways.

I did as well but I guess I lean towards that type of narrative. The first amnesia wasn't really effective for me because I was constantly looking away when something scary happened, I guess? It felt that way to me at least.

I don't know what the fuck is wrong with Steam, but I can't set it to not run on startup, and as a result it asks me to sign in every day. Had to delete it altogether, which removed the games as well. I wish I could have these games on my system without Steam.

I have the DRM free versions from GOG, maybe you can look into that.

Melchiah

I have the DRM free versions from GOG, maybe you can look into that.

I dunno if there's something wrong with my system, as neither Nvidia or Steam settings can be saved. They always go back to default settings, which goes for Steam client's homepage as well. It's odd, as the system is relatively new, and installed with factory drivers. Well, the GPU drivers have been updated automatically since I bought it. At first I thought the additional Intel GPU was messing with the Nvidia settings, as its drivers have been crashing occasionally, but the same happening with Steam makes me think the problem lies somewhere else.

Top Bottom