• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

Zeliard

Are you gonna angle that rock around the corner to try and bait the monster away? But then what, since you presumably still have to go down that hall? I'm curious to see how this turns out. :D

Zeliard said:
Are you gonna angle that rock around the corner to try and bait the monster away? But then what, since you presumably still have to go down that hall? I'm curious to see how this turns out. :D
No, I'm gonna hit him.

Dennis

Banned
GAF, I just bought this game on Steam but now I am afraid to play it.....

I also bought that JRPG loot-store manager game on Steam, at least thats cheerful.

~Kinggi~

Banned
DennisK4 said:
GAF, I just bought this game on Steam but now I am afraid to play it.....

I also bought that JRPG loot-store manager game on Steam, at least thats cheerful.
Wait till night to play the scariness.

Observation: Monsters are scary and bad
Hypothesis: Monsters can be stopped
Experiment:
  • High roadblock, light weight.
  • Light weight door. No support.
  • Low roadblock, heavy weight.
  • Rock, medium weight, distraction.
  • Rock, light weight, attack.
Conclusion:

Note: I turned the game off again after the screenshot was taken from on top of the statue, so it's yet to be seen whether I'll survive the encounter. The beast is no longer in rage mode, is now in depressed, longing, child-missing-it's-mother-and-about-to-cry mode. Chances are, I can hide behind the statue and avoid untimely death. I'll probably log back on again, but I have work in 20 minutes.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I made the mistake of actually running into a monster just to see what they look like, holy FUCK. Whoever was working on the monster designs is a master.

They're deliciously scary/freaky so I'm not ever going to ever try to look at them ever again.

Go Frictional you kick ass :D

Max

I am not Max
Although I'm rushing through it because of my prior knowledge in my second playthrough, the game is still super unnerving and I'm still a bit scared because the enemies aren't showing up exactly where they were before. They did such a good job atmospherically.

Stike

These guys should definitely do the next Silent Hill game. Just saying.

Also, I decided not to play those games in darkness. Hell no, I am getting into an age when heart attacks matter :lol

Majeh

Keep finding reasons not to play/it's daylight and I want to play at night. Been playing in small chunks, slowly (I tend to explore areas fully).

Was in the study
that you get the machine room key
and heard the music come on, had something up against the closed door. So I ran into the closet and closed it quick, monster came in and I though yeah, I'm safe. It broke the closet open and killed me. Nearly gave me a heart attack :lol When the game resumed I took like 5 minutes in that room because I was so convinced the monster would come back, in the end I made it out without it returning. Game does a freaking amazing job making you assume you're going to run into them.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Holy hell this game is nuts. I just played from the beginning to the back hall just passed the flooded cellar in one sitting. I had to turn it off and watch some happy anime or something to regain my nerves. I'm not going to want to go swimming for a long time. I haven't been this freaked out by a game since Silent Hill 1 when I was 12. :(

HOLY SHIT A HUGE COCKROACH IS CRAWLING ACROSS MY SCRE...oh it's the game. Hahaha fuck you game :mad:

~Kinggi~

Banned
Well this game actually gave me some good scares. Like i would think i would see something off in the corner and get startled. I wasnt really expecting the game to scare me but it got me good during the first hour or so. Its a very nerve-racking game.

Really enjoying this now. I'm taking a very stealthy approach -- crouching in new areas and leaning around corners with my lantern off -- and haven't had any major problems with monsters yet, but I've only just made it to the Refinery.

I did have a moment of whimpering in the corner behind some shelves in the Wine Cellar. A monster just stood there for a couple of minutes with me averting my eyes and taking quick peeks to see if it was going away while I slowly went insane in the dark. By the time it walked off in the other direction I was batshit crazy and staggering all over the place.

The thing that's fantastic about it from a design perspective is that it's both the same as every other survival horror game and entirely unique at the same time. Your main resources are light and your eyes, but using either of those when a monster is around will send you bonkers. But if you don't use them, you'll either die or go bonkers anyway. Really clever.

Zeliard

Yeah it has a great light & dark dynamic going. Each of those are both helpful and harmful to you.

Light keeps your character (and at times, you) from losing sanity in the darkness, but it can attract things you don't want to attract, and it's also a limited resource. Darkness can keep the monsters from finding you but it also causes you to lose sanity the longer you stay in it, and it can also impede your progress because you can't see shit. Not only is it a great gameplay and story mechanic but it also makes logical sense, and they don't even need any exposition to explain it.

After the first time I saw one roaming free I've wanted to trap it. It's human nature. But I'll wait until the game is over.

Besides level designer is coming soon, we can build a platform with no stairs and let the fucker run around after us.

More conclusions:
Low heavy barriers seem to stop monsters while they're in search mode. They can climb them in attack mode, however.

Monsters don't seem to be able to attack over low(waist/chest high) barriers, even if they're aiming up.

Monsters don't seem to be able to see you if you're above them while they're in search mode,
even if you're clearly in their sight path

bread + acid = ???

Teknoman

Im not sure what it is about the game...but the unseen monster in the water (demo) and baiting it with...body parts just creeps me out.

Its like a scariness that gradually builds.

Animator

Teknoman said:
Im not sure what it is about the game...but the unseen monster in the water (demo) and baiting it with...body parts just creeps me out.

Its like a scariness that gradually builds.

That level damn near gave me a heart attack :lol

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
This game is pure suffering. It's as interesting as it's DAMN SCARY. I want to know what has happened but the atmosphere just pushes me away. And knowing that you can't fight back doesn't make it easier to progress :lol

A MAN CHOOSES

Q4Bi4.png

A SLAVE OBEYS

Btc4H.png

Draft said:
The fucking dungeon. Jeez.

I'm telling you guys, this game is pac-man.

I think I've realized that I can't play this game. Not on my own at least. I keep trying, but just end up shutting it off after a couple of minutes. Doesn't matter if it's broad daylight or I got no sound on or whatever - the fact that you have no means of defending yourself other than lurking around in shadows while Daniel is turning insane is so goddamn effective. Without a doubt the most nerve-wracking game I have ever played.

It's a great game though and I'm determined to finish it, I just have to find some way to cope.

Yeah, I'm really struggling to play for more than 5 mins at a time as well. I've actually resorted to doing something I find really reprehensible: I'm watching that hamst3r dude's giant bomb walkthrough from a few pages back before I play. It's a really funny, well done walkthrough, but I feel like I'm cheating myself out of a large part of the experience. If I just go in blind though, I'll seriously like go down a hallway and exit the game.

I think where this game really succeeds is it really makes you feel as if you ARE your avatar. Many games try to do this, but this one succeeds, and that's shitty because your guy is in this horrible nightmare. Things like opening doors and drawers, picking up boxes, this stuff could have been wonky and distracting as hell, but it's not. It's really, really tactile.

I'm having trouble even getting this game to start. I'm running it on a laptop with Intel integrated graphics. When I try to run the game an error pops up that says "Fatal Error: RENDERER #0"

I updated my drivers but that didn't do anything. Not sure if anybody else had this problem.

Yasae

Banned
Siebzehn50 said:
I'm having trouble even getting this game to start. I'm running it on a laptop with Intel integrated graphics. When I try to run the game an error pops up that says "Fatal Error: RENDERER #0"

I updated my drivers but that didn't do anything. Not sure if anybody else had this problem.
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3754.html No fix at the moment regarding integrated graphics, but the same error did pop up with a possible solution: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-4135.html

Don't count on it working, though.

I'm procrastinating playing this because earlier I was fucking terrified, out of tinderboxes, and running low on lamp oil in the Wine Cellar, part 2. Fucking holy FUCK.

<3 Frictional.

Zeliard

Baloonatic said:
Just got to the cellar archives and had to just turn the game off almost instantly. Fuck that.

I've noticed that my exiting out of this game is almost always preceded by the words "fuck this shit."

clip

Just finished it.

It was excellent. I hope Frictional make lots of money so they can make another game set in space.

I'm at the cistern, drained the sewers but there's green shit everywhere- what am I supposed to do now, go through that heavy, seemingly one way gate?

Ventrue

Visualante said:
I'm at the cistern, drained the sewers but there's green shit everywhere- what am I supposed to do now, go through that heavy, seemingly one way gate?

You have to become immune to the gas by injecting yourself with the blood of someone who is immune. You need to find the copper pipe somewhere around and then go to the fresh corpse in the morgue. To spoil a bit more if you need it, you'll need to use the hand drill thing and a hollow needle in solving the puzzle.

Read the first part of the spoiler.. I can see where this is going knowing that there is a
morgue
area later on :I thanks

eXistor

Fuck this game. I never, never get remotely scared playing games or watching movies. This game has me screaming like a little girl.

So yeah it's safe to say I love this game. I mentioned earlier that I'd have liked to see more puzzles, but I take it back, the puzzles are simple but logical and don't ever get frustrating.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I finished this game last night.

Endgame spoilers for this AND Penumbra: Black Plague abound, be warned.

Meeting Alexander was quite a letdown, in light of the trippy and utterly overpowering end sequence the Tuurngait has prepared for you at the end of Penumbra. I always find it a bit lame when a game has multiple endings and they can all be obtained by simply reloading that save point and doing something different just before the ending, and I feel all three endings are a bit, well, short, though the bad and "best" (if you can call it that) endings were rather cool.

Other than that, really good game through and through. Though the monsters lost some of their effect on me the general dank atmosphere, sanity effects and the literal dark descent towards the inner sanctum really did a number on me spiritually. I'd never noticed that
the portraits of Alexander morph into nightmarish twisted faces when you're insane enough,
and that in particular really gave me a fright. Another one was
crouching to let a monster walk past me in the middle of a corridor, then when I turn around to see if it spotted me or not it wasn't even in the corridor anymore. Like, it had just disappeared literally the moment it walked out of my line of sight.
It was a decent length, the puzzles were quite good, the story deep and I had a great time. Definitely recommended.

Oh yeah. Fuck you
Iron Maiden
, and fuck you
metal-limb monster

Beaten.

It was pretty good, I got some solid scares in.
Last 3rd of the game wasn't as good, too much talky talky and the ending sucked.
I didn't like that there weren't nearly as many physics puzzles as in the Penumbra series, that was a huge part of the appeal to me. Still, a great spiritual sequel to Pac-Man.

Horror games don't need ratings, they need scare rankings.

1. Fatal Frame
  2. Fatal Frame 2
  3. Amnesia
  4. Silent Hill 2
  5. Penumbra: Black Plague
  6. Silent Hill 3
  7. REmake
  8. System Shock 2
  9. Condemned
  10. Mrs. Pac-Man

shuyin_

Banned
God's Beard said:
Beaten.

It was pretty good, I got some solid scares in.
Last 3rd of the game wasn't as good, too much talky talky and the ending sucked.
I didn't like that there weren't nearly as many physics puzzles as in the Penumbra series, that was a huge part of the appeal to me. Still, a great spiritual sequel to Pac-Man.

Horror games don't need ratings, they need scare rankings.

1. Fatal Frame
  2. Fatal Frame 2
  3. Amnesia
  4. Silent Hill 2
  5. Penumbra: Black Plague
  6. Silent Hill 3
  7. REmake
  8. System Shock 2
  9. Condemned
  10. Mrs. Pac-Man
Silent Hill 2 scared you? :| ...

shuyin_ said:
Silent Hill 2 scared you? :| ...

That ranking is more out of respect for the best story in videogames. I should have just said it was a ranking of the best horror games, with bonus points for scare factor.

Yeah so I'm slowly working my way through this thing. Finally settled on a technique for making progress which involves running around the halls like a maniac to get to the next room so at least if I get chased by something I can hide in the corner and cry before it breaks the door down.

Spoilers for about 4-5 hours in, after the puzzle with the spinning thingy in the water:
just escaped from the dude in the sewers and up the big ladder
, I feel like I'm approaching the end at this point, anyone able to tell me how many more areas (roughly) I have left to do? I feel like knowing that will give me a little bit more motivation to keep going, I totally love this game but I have such a hard time sitting down to get stuck into it because I let my hyperactive imagination get the better of me before I even load the game up.

lorebringer said:
Yeah so I'm slowly working my way through this thing. Finally settled on a technique for making progress which involves running around the halls like a maniac to get to the next room so at least if I get chased by something I can hide in the corner and cry before it breaks the door down.

Spoilers for about 4-5 hours in, after the puzzle with the spinning thingy in the water:
just escaped from the dude in the sewers and up the big ladder
, I feel like I'm approaching the end at this point, anyone able to tell me how many more areas (roughly) I have left to do? I feel like knowing that will give me a little bit more motivation to keep going, I totally love this game but I have such a hard time sitting down to get stuck into it because I let my hyperactive imagination get the better of me before I even load the game up.

You're about 20 minutes from the end. Push it out.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
So System Req lab says my pc can run this game, so I get it, update the drivers and run it.

When I hit start new game it shows me the loading screen the its stuck in a black screen with music, am I screwed?

Near the end now. How many pieces does
the orb
have? I found
3 pieces in the choir
and wanted to make sure I didn't miss any before I move on to the other bit.

Top Bottom