• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

TheExodu5

Banned
blackmamba707 said:
any cheap scares in Amnesia or Penumbra? I sooo hate them :lol

Penumbra BP is the only game I've played that scares the shit out of me without ever being cheap. No monster closets here.

edit: actually the original Silent Hill was scary as fuck for me when I was a kid.

The M.O.B

Any one else getting this error for the demo?

slGlC.png

I thought I had gotten a virus for a second.

Ricker

I`m stuck in the demo...there`s this hatch on the floor and a mechanism to use to open it,since it says it`s too heavy to lift by hand, but the wheel on the wall is jammed by something,so I can`t turn it...what do I do there?

Zenith

Banned
Ricker said:
I`m stuck in the demo...there`s this hatch on the floor and a mechanism to use to open it,since it says it`s too heavy to lift by hand, but the wheel on the wall is jammed by something,so I can`t turn it...what do I do there?

look at each pulley on the ceiling and notice one of them has a stick wedged in there. use barrels and crates to reach it/

M3d10n

Frictional Games' horror is far too effective on me. I couldn't play much of Penumbra, and after watching the trailer... well, I think I'll pass.

Penumbra was without a doubt the most scary games I ever played. SH is an arcade game compared to it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Zenith said:
I dunno, I got a baaaaaaaaad feeling about this. It looks like Penumbra except with wood panelling. And the videos are so dark it's not scary, it's just irritating trying to squint and see where you're going.
Not being able to see where you are going with eldritch abominations lurking around isnt scary? Yeah sure...

Yasae

Banned
Zenith said:
It was ok. A little crude. Sanity effects could get annoying.

Once you disassociate yourself from the sound and the pressure, the water monsters aren't that scary.
That's a great way to make any media not scary.

Downloading the demo now, will probably get around to it later today or tomorrow.

clip

I'm not sure if I'm into the setting yet. I loved the old bunker/mine/lab setting from Penumbra, but we'll see!

Mr_Zombie

Fabulous demo. Even though not much is happening there (
until the fucking invisible piranhia showed up :(
) throughout the demo I was constantly on the edge of my seat. The atmosphere is great.

clip said:
I'm not sure if I'm into the setting yet. I loved the old bunker/mine/lab setting from Penumbra, but we'll see!
I've never really been into this kind of setting either, but I liked the art and the gameplay seems awesome. I think for this kind of game I can just put it aside and just enjoy the game.
Voice acting doesn't seem to be over the top.

Zenith

Banned
HK-47 said:
Not being able to see where you are going with eldritch abominations lurking around isnt scary? Yeah sure...

no, it's just irritating. I'm not scared, I'm frustrated. like how AvP Requiem was too dark to see anything.

ArjanN

Zenith said:
no, it's just irritating. I'm not scared, I'm frustrated. like how AvP Requiem was too dark to see anything.

Turn up the gamma then, or the brightness settings on your monitor.

Intriguing demo. The
water-monster
, freaked me out pretty bad initially allthough the scariest moment was one which I'm not sure was intentional or not. I opened a door and was met with a siluette of a man which, once I got the lantern up, turned out to be just an ordinary armor. Scared the crap out of me though, and reminded me of when I used to imagine seeing all kinds of shit in the dark as a kid. Pretty cool.

Wednesday can't come soon enough.

Joe Molotov

Can't wait for Wednesday! I just got an email from them, and they mentioned the Director's Commentary feature was in because they got over 2000 preorders on their site back when it was 50% off. That'll be sweet.

eXistor

Yes! The demo was everything I hoped it would be. It looks to be very atmospheric. The whole sanity thing seem to add a lot to the game as well. More proof you don't need impressive technology to make a scary game. In fact, I wish there were more games taking a lo-fi approach to games (Amnesia isn't btw, I'm just saying). King's Field for example is very very rough, but I think it works to its advantage.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is gonna make my top 10 list come GOTY-voting time.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
from the tone of things around here, you'd assume people would be gasping for a survival horror that doesn't just crib from notes handed down by the psone generation. but here we are, three days from release and barely pushing two pages.

M3d10n said:
Frictional Games' horror is far too effective on me. I couldn't play much of Penumbra, and after watching the trailer... well, I think I'll pass.

Penumbra was without a doubt the most scary games I ever played. SH is an arcade game compared to it.
I have yet to finish Penumbra II for the same reasons. The fact that you have to avoid looking at enemies while hoping that they don't find you is a deviously effective mechanic. I remember almost having a heart-attack when a demon-dog I was hiding from attacked me from behind. Quit the game, turned off the computer, haven't played it since.

I do think you should try the Amnesia-demo if you haven't though. The game as a whole seems to be more polished and interesting to me then their previous efforts, and while scary, it wasn't insufferable at all.

Ceebs

ghst said:
from the tone of things around here, you'd assume people would be gasping for a survival horror that doesn't just crib from notes handed down by the psone generation. but here we are, three days from release and barely pushing two pages.
No console exclusivity or giant marketing push that has been telling everyone for months that it is going to be the best game ever made.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
ghst said:

It's a PC game, it's GAF.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Ceebs said:
No console exclusivity or giant marketing push that has been telling everyone for months that it is going to be the best game ever made.

maybe lore can just word filter a hyperlink to the amnesia steam demo every time someone types "survival horror", atleast until the next phoned in, derivative silent hill-alike turns up and everyone can rapid fire "post reply" over the new opportunities for dlc narrative ad-libbing and avatar clothing it could provide.

Glix

Looks pretty cool. I'll grab the demo when I get home. (If I can tear myself away from Mass Effect 2 for a few minutes.)

Yasae

Banned
Uh oh. This game doesn't play nice with X-series ATI cards, apparently. It's definitely not too demanding. Something to do with the inventory screens and intro locking up. Indeed, I get a black screen, egregiously mistimed subtitles, and the frames render at about 1 every ten seconds. There's also a LOT of popping with the sound.

My rig's not up to date, but I'd be shocked if it couldn't run a game like this. I'll try some fixes and see if I can get it going. It sounds like the developers will be testing an X-series card later on. If they can get these issues resolved (they're fairly specific and to some extent, driver-related,) I'll be happy. Otherwise no purchase.

Yet another reason why demos are sometimes EXTREMELY important.

Druz

Wow demo scared the shit out of me. I'm going to buy it but like the penumbra series I own games that I'm too afraid to play. Theres a moment of a chase where I just freaked the fuck out.

Yasae said:
Uh oh. This game doesn't play nice with X-series ATI cards, apparently. It's definitely not too demanding. Something to do with the inventory screens and intro locking up. Indeed, I get a black screen, egregiously mistimed subtitles, and the frames render at about 1 every ten seconds. There's also a LOT of popping with the sound.

My rig's not up to date, but I'd be shocked if it couldn't run a game like this. I'll try some fixes and see if I can get it going. It sounds like the developers will be testing an X-series card later on. If they can get these issues resolved (they're fairly specific and to some extent, driver-related,) I'll be happy. Otherwise no purchase.

I'm ATI and play it fine

cbox

Yasae said:

Damnit I have an x1950 pro and can't play the demo :( Preordered months ago and waiting cause because penumbra was amazing

epmode

ghst said:
I bought this months ago when it was first up for pre-order but I don't want to ruin the surprise by playing the demo. Vary excited for Wednesday though!

Yasae

Banned
Druz said:
I'm ATI and play it fine
X-series; basically x1950 and older. Apparently it has to do with the crummy OpenGL architecture in that range of cards? But the demo is completely unplayable for X-series users at this point in time. It's a really nasty problem.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Yasae said:
X-series; basically x1950 and older. Apparently it has to do with the crummy OpenGL architecture in that range of cards? But the demo is completely unplayable for X-series users at this point in time. It's a really nasty problem.

5770 here and no problem. But the game is pretty demanding if you push parallax to 128 samples.

Looking forward to this a lot. Still upset that I've never been able to finish the Penumbra series due to crash in the second game with certain machines that they never fixed.

jodosutari

Neo Member
Demo was great. Already preordered when it was 50% off so I'm good to go! I didn't even know it before I played the demo but this kind of game is just what I need right now.

Spookie

I can't do the second part of the demo. I freak out and turn it off each time. :lol

I've still not completed their previous games either. :(

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Been wanting this since I played through the Penumbra games last year. Bought it off of their site months ago.

It's been posted but great review by eurogamer. Really happy to see them illuminate the great qualities of this game and Frictionals' design aesthetics. These guys are fucking beasts, and its my hope that they get the chance to work with a larger budget. They REALLY know how how to make horror resonate.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
It's been posted but great review by eurogamer. Really happy to see them illuminate the great qualities of this game and Frictionals' design aesthetics. These guys are fucking beasts, and its my hope that they get the chance to work with a larger budget. They REALLY know how how to make horror resonate.
you say that as if a large budget wouldn't be an albatross of populist homogeneity dragging their studio into administration.

Top Bottom