• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Alaska man tried to take his life, but killed his girlfriend in the act

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

An Alaska man tried to take his life. But the bullet passed through him and killed his girlfriend.

imrs.php

Victor Sibson does not remember what happened the night he put a gun to his head, he told police.

Shortly after 2 a.m. April 19, the 21 year-old Anchorage man held a handgun to his left temple as he stood in the apartment he shared with his girlfriend, Brittany-Mae Haag. She attempted to grab the gun and stop him from taking his own life, prosecutors believe.

Police would later find both Sibson and Haag lying on the floor with gunshot wounds, and only one shell casing on the ground, Assistant District Attorney James Fayette told The Washington Post. Prosecutors believe the bullet that struck Sibson in the head — just behind his left eye — then hit Haag in the chest as she reached over to him.

Fayette, who has been a prosecutor in Anchorage since 1993, said he has never seen a “one-shot” case such as this one.

“It’s just compelling and tragic all the way around,” he said.

After the shooting, Haag, 22, managed to walk to a neighbor’s door to ask for help. The neighbor, Gary Hutson, followed her back to her apartment, cracked the door open and saw Sibson lying on the floor as Haag faltered, he told a local television station.
Haag died later that morning as Sibson was treated for life-threatening injuries. He ultimately survived and was released from the hospital within a couple of weeks, the district attorney said.

Sibson was cogent enough to speak to authorities a week after the incident. He told police he remembered buying the gun, but did not remember anything about the shooting itself, the prosecutor said.

Authorities said his blood alcohol level was more than three times the legal limit at the time of the incident.

Last week, Sibson was charged with one count of second-degree murder on the grounds that he showed “extreme indifference to the value of life.”

A grand jury indicted him, and a warrant was issued for his arrest before he turned himself in Friday. If convicted, Sibson could face up to 99 years in prison. Bail has been set at $250,000.

Not much to take from this other than this is fucked up and depressing. Unless we're going to have a deep discussion on his mental health, this seems like a thread destined for being locked.

Jenov

That's an odd one for sure. I would think manslaughter would be a more appropriate charge considering they can prove it was meant as a suicide and only 1 bullet was shot that accidentally passed through and hit her.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The fact that he tried to commit suicide in front of her tells me he is probably an emotionally abusive bastard, if nothing else. Why would anyone commit suicide in front of a loved one?

She attempted to grab the gun and stop him from taking his own life, prosecutors believe.
If so, that was foolish.

That's an odd one for sure. I would think manslaughter would be a more appropriate charge considering they can prove it was meant as a suicide and only 1 bullet was shot that accidentally passed through and hit her.
He aimed a gun in such a way that a bullet would pass through his body into hers, they're probably considering it the same as aiming it at her. The charge is harsh, but not necessarily uncalled for.

LQX

Ugh, I've come around to not being too harsh on those willing to commit suicide but I still cant get behind those willing to do it in front of love ones in this manner. It is not fair.

Dali

99 years for an accidental death? They must have piled on the charges or are calling this murder instead of manslaughter.

He aimed a gun in such a way that a bullet would pass through his body into hers, they're probably considering it the same as aiming it at her. The charge is harsh, but not necessarily uncalled for.

It reads like he aimed the gun directly at his head, and she moved it in an attempt to stop him, unfortunately getting shot in the process.

Jarrod38

99 years for an accidental death? They must have piled on the charges or are calling this murder instead of manslaughter.
That is the maximum but he will not get anywhere near that. If anything he will get 5 years even if that.

Not much point in sending the dude to jail just keep him locked up on suicide watch forever.

The fact that he tried to commit suicide in front of her tells me he is probably an emotionally abusive bastard, if nothing else. Why would anyone commit suicide in front of a loved one?

If so, that was foolish.

if they're genuinely willing to commit suicide, as he more than proved that he indeed was, no standard logical considerations apply.

He also aimed a gun at his own head. No, that is not, nor will it ever be, the same as aiming at her. Yes, if that is what they did, it would be uncalled for. Intent matters.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
He also aimed a gun at his own head. No, that is not, nor will it ever be, the same as aiming at her. Yes, if that is what they did, it would be uncalled for. Intent matters.
I'm trying to think of any way that he could aim the gun at himself, and in the process of deflecting it the bullet would still pass through him but also hit her if she wasn't in the line of fire to start with, and I can't imagine it. Maybe you can describe or diagram something I'm not seeing? But if she was in the line of fire, it doesn't matter if he aimed it at himself, he was still aiming it at her.

YourMaster

Says who? Perhaps his aim was true and it was she that moved in the line of fire in order to try and save his live.
It doesn't sound malicious at all - which I believe is absolutely required for any charge over 5 year imprisonment - and no proof of it being reckless either.
From the information available it seems like his worse offense is actually owning a gun, bu that is legal. (When guns are available everywhere, occasionally a drunk suicidal or homicidal person will kill somebody by accident).

Sounds like a case where a minor punishment and (forced) mental help is the best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom