• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'An All-Male Party Makes Final Fantasy XV 'More Approachable', Says Director

Yeah, I know it's just a translation, but not being a Japanese-speaker, it's all I had to go by.

I think you're right, Jarate. I certainly hope so. I'm fine with it being all guys. I just don't want it to be all guys because of some notion that they're more relatable. I know it's Nomura's story, so I don't really know how he is with female characters. I only have KH to go by. And they're not really the most realistic characters.

Mr. RHC

As some other have mentioned, the more that comes to light about the focus of Final Fantasy XV the less I'm finding myself excited for it's release. Having been a Final Fantasy player since I got my first console, I've always been a fan of the optimistic pluralism and inclusiveness that has always been, until now it seems, a pillar of what makes Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy.

Between the over-stereotyping of the "Bro" mentality present in the party, to the over sexulization of Cidney Final Fantasy XV, at least based on whats been revealed, seems to really go out of it's way to cater to bro culture. Which to be completely honest, is not my cup of tea at all.

To Tabata's point about an all male cast making the game more approachable, I myself know absolutely zero guys who behave like the party in Final Fantasy XV. My room mate and best friend, finds them completely annoying and unrelatable and Final Fantasy is the only series of video games she plays outside of iOS games. Between quotes from Tabata like the one in the OP, and the players party, she's feeling that this game isn't meant for her.

I find that alarming when this industry is flooded with games which go out of their way to cater to bro culture.

ayyyy lmaoooo

So...

What is 'bro' culture?

apparently j-pop, backstreet boys and wearing all black /s

Dudebro is becoming one of those terms like SJWs where if I see it used unironically I instantly skip and disregard the entire post

Depends on who you ask. If you ask me, it's Top Gun. Exactly like Top Gun. Yes, every bro has a jet fighter.

Anything with male camaraderie is bro culture you guys. Anything.

Stand by Me? Totally a bunch of bros that leave for a trip, bro.

Sandlot? It's nothing but 12 year old bros playing baseball, being kids, and breaking into an old man's house, bro.

I see that there is some confusion as to what a bro culture/thuglife culture is and I think it's my obligation to spread awareness.

So let me fill you in, what is happening with Final Fantasy and how it is catering to bro culture. So get your dubstep playlist ready, here we go.

oie_oie_overlayvgbav.gif

And now, various findings of mine on the Final Fantasy bro culture matter.

Excessive dubstep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgwsSr8oiZ4

Excessive fistbumping, previously seen on GAF:
NruLKFW.gif

PYSsJeX.gif

Example of KFC bro thug life:
tumblr_ltj0uia6BH1qdo8a7o1_500.gif

tumblr_ltj0uia6BH1qdo8a7o5_r1_500.gif

Example of inappropriate behaviour:
tumblr_nc9ylisAai1r3xflso1_400.gif
Thanks http://hikamitz.tumblr.com/post/98098651254/which-seat-can-i-take

looks like tumblr wasn't as worthless to this discussion as we expected, right? Shout out to ZackThePuppy!

ykgizkfqv0ckgktvggdt.gif

A game about money, cars and paw-paws:
PHgkfxs.jpg

sh6gXZY.jpg

jkudkiqxw5b8xgoj8oxy.gif

It basically is open world, too. It almost is like GTA, people use guns, next Final Fantasy probably is a Call of Duty style game.

Examples in other games, what is happening with this industry?

Mountain Dew everywhere:
zpje2bgisui1.jpg

Rappers are taking over the Legend of Zelda,
zo88ism2xdt56shjfodk.gif

So as you can see, the bro culture is taking over, slowly but surely. There is nothing we can do. We can only listen to people with actual insight on the matter but it's already too late anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKvoAK_ww2Q&feature=youtu.be

Monocle

This is actually going to appeal to straight female/gay male gamers more cuz yaoi
What's the big deal about four photogenic anime boys pitching a tent in the wild and sleeping together? Maybe not together together, but in close proximity. Sometimes bros just have to get their cuddle on. Sometimes when it gets cold they might have to form a pile of heaving abs and chiseled jawlines, and you can't tell where one boy ends and the next begins. It's called camping.

PtM

Banned
Rappers are taking over the Legend of Zelda,
zo88ism2xdt56shjfodk.gif
Is this in reference to Hylian Skinhead? Holy shit, the gif fits the song really nice!
So as you can see, the bro culture is taking over, slowly but surely. There is nothing we can do. We can only listen to people with actual insight on the matter but it's already too late anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKvoAK_ww2Q&feature=youtu.be
Read the title and got disappointed about not watching a "Leave Britney alone" parody.

Verger

Banned
Wow, that post should be replaced with the OP now. There's no way to top that.

Excessive fistbumping, previously seen on GAF:
NruLKFW.gif

PYSsJeX.gif

Seriously though, these characters are so Asian I don't know how you can call them "dudebros". That's not to say Asians cannot be dudebros, but that is certainly not the stereotype of the "roided out" "Bald" "space marine" kind of thing that became synonymous with that word.

abadguy

Banned
As some other have mentioned, the more that comes to light about the focus of Final Fantasy XV the less I'm finding myself excited for it's release. Having been a Final Fantasy player since I got my first console, I've always been a fan of the optimistic pluralism and inclusiveness that has always been, until now it seems, a pillar of what makes Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy.

Between the over-stereotyping of the "Bro" mentality present in the party, to the over sexulization of Cidney Final Fantasy XV, at least based on whats been revealed, seems to really go out of it's way to cater to bro culture. Which to be completely honest, is not my cup of tea at all.

To Tabata's point about an all male cast making the game more approachable, I myself know absolutely zero guys who behave like the party in Final Fantasy XV. My room mate and best friend, finds them completely annoying and unrelatable and Final Fantasy is the only series of video games she plays outside of iOS games. Between quotes from Tabata like the one in the OP, and the players party, she's feeling that this game isn't meant for her.

I find that alarming when this industry is flooded with games which go out of their way to cater to bro culture.

First of all going by the character designs that for the most part look like the effeminate metro style that wouldn't be out of place in the average J/K-Pop boy band, it's pretty clear to me that the so called "bro culture" wasn't what they were looking to cater to here.
More like the group they are catering to are the fucking "Fujoshi" types on both side of the pond who will eat this shit up with a spoon.

Top Bottom