• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Amiibo made it to Losers Finals in a Smash Bros tournament

entremet

Level 9 CPUs are pretty damn fierce in this game. Especially the Wii U version.

I know they cheat, by reading your inputs and getting perfect dodges, but still pretty decent.

Gsnap

Man I don't know what the deal is, but my Amiibo is kinda stupid. It dances around too much and rarely goes for the kill. It can barely beat level 9s and even though it's so strong that it can break your shield easily, it never goes for a kill move on a stunned character.

I think maybe putting a bunch of stats in speed isn't so good...

massoluk

Banned
Siliconera followed up the story

The Story Of How A Fox Amiibo Nearly Won A Super Smash Bros. Tournament

According to tournament attendee Daze Tioseco, who often speedruns Super Mario 64 and plays Smash Bros. on his Twitch channel, Waveshine—the Fox Amiibo—was “just there.” It’s a mystery to him and everyone else at the tournament who WaveShine’s owner and trainer actually is. Rather than have it sitting around doing nothing, another Smash player at the event called TGDHamster came up with the idea of entering WaveShine into the bracket, saying that “it’d be really funny,” so he and a few others chipped in $5 each to make it happen...

...It turns out that WaveShine is a level 50 Amiibo, which is the current level cap, that constantly adapts its playing style to outwit its opponent. If a player held back defensively, WaveShine would notice this and start firing lasers from a distance and would reflect any returning projectiles with frame perfect timing. On the other hand, if a competitor played aggressively, WaveShine would perform frame perfect rolls and spot-dodges, and would also run back in to punish any end lag from an attack you committed to with a grab or an up smash.

“It also started punishing unsafe landings and whiffed aerials with up smash, as well as unsafe hits on shield (powershield -> upsmash out of shield) which was devastating,” Daze told Siliconera. “It even learned how to wall-tech off of the stage if it was ever hit into it, in order to avoid stage-spikes and recover. It was a pretty impressive AI.”

I think this has some killer potential.
However, through this, I think that Amiibo-only side brackets and dedicated Amiibo trainers could very well develop into a popular thing. I feel like it really gives players who aren’t all about competing directly against others a new opportunity to become involved with the ever-growing Smash Bros. tournament scene, and I’m all for it. If there is enough interest, I’ll definitely do my best make an Amiibo-only side-event happen on stream at the next tournament. It’s all up to the community to decide!”

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/11/26/story-fox-amiibo-nearly-won-super-smash-bros-tournament/#lxXbjy21OsTCuWXr.99

WillyFive

Siliconera followed up the story

According to tournament attendee Daze Tioseco, who often speedruns Super Mario 64 and plays Smash Bros. on his Twitch channel, Waveshine—the Fox Amiibo—was “just there.” It’s a mystery to him and everyone else at the tournament who WaveShine’s owner and trainer actually is.

It obviously showed up because it wanted to play.

El Sabroso

this is what motivates me to purchase amiibos, i haven't yet but if amiibos are good training partners then are worth more at least for me

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
According to tournament attendee Daze Tioseco, who often speedruns Super Mario 64 and plays Smash Bros. on his Twitch channel, Waveshine—the Fox Amiibo—was “just there.” It’s a mystery to him and everyone else at the tournament who WaveShine’s owner and trainer actually is.
oh piss off, does every news story about Smash need some staged mystery behind it?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Get that NFC adapter for 3DS on the market already, Nintendo!

But don't they get a 1.5x boost in attack power? I remember reading that, so I'm sure that helped. And beyond that, it's reading inputs and deciding through different lines of coding. And fighting against the CPU is the opposite of what fighting game players do.

That being said, good on a CPU to even get that high.

Top Bottom