• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Oral History of 'Spaced' (15 years later)

cj_iwakura

One of my favorite shows, so I enjoyed this article.
vcP3hOD.jpg

(Damn, it's an old article, but that slacker Edgar Wright just RTed it today.)

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/...ynes-katy-carmichael?utm_source=vicetwitteruk

BEGINNINGS

Simon Pegg (Tim): Jess and I were singled out by a producer for a show we had worked on called Asylum. They said to us, 'If you can think of a format we'd like to make a vehicle for you.' Jess and I were a bit wet behind the ears, so we boldly said, 'Oh yeah, we'll do it, but you've got to let us write it' – like we had any leverage at all. But they fell for it.

CHARACTERS

Nick Frost: Mike was an amalgam of two guys I worked with in a Mexican restaurant. One was a cook who was a giant, but also a big baby; he'd get pissed and, at 4AM, he'd call his mum and she'd come out and get him to take him home. He sadly also had a penchant for Nazi memorabilia and hard punk music. He wasn't a Nazi – he was a nice guy – but he just owned things like a fucking Hitler Youth dagger. The other guy would bullshit us about his time in the Territorial Army and all the weird shit he would do to people, and I never believed him for a second. About two years ago I picked up a newspaper and there's a picture of David Cameron in Helmand Province, and standing behind him is this guy, stood there with a M4 carbine and body armour on – so it turns out it wasn't bullshit at all; it was all true.

THE PRODUCTION

Edgar Wright: People had no expectations for it because they didn't know who we were. I think as soon as we started editing it together, I was very excited about it. It felt really different; it felt out there. I think it was such a small budget show that nobody ever really passed too much comment from the network. All I remember is getting notes about language – that we could only say "fuck" twice and we could not say the word "cunt", and that was it. In a weird way I prefer the restriction because it makes your "fucks" count if you only have two of them.

Simon Pegg: In the episode where we watch the three Star Wars films, we could use the ewok celebration music from the end of Return of the Jedi, but we weren't allowed to use the original, so we had to re-record it ourselves and sing it. So if you watch that episode and listen to that music, that's me, Jess and Edgar doing ewok singing.

Nick Frost: I think, for me, it's done. I just don't know how you'd do it; we're all so fucking old and decrepit now. Maybe I could get out of it by saying Mike made it to Afghanistan but he stepped on a mine out there or that he fell out the back of a plane.

Edgar Wright: I don't know. I think, for me, it would be a no. I think with Spaced it would be a bit of a lose-lose; I don't know if people would ever be entirely happy. Maybe if Simon and Jessica came up with a really brilliant script, but I just feel because we're all different people now it would be hard. Would you want to see those characters older, or is the beauty of the show in that the last time we ever saw Tim and Daisy was sitting on that beanbag in front of the TV with Colin, and to leave them there in this beautiful time capsule of that era? I would tend to say don't risk it. It's a beautiful 14 episodes, and maybe we could have done more at the time, but I'm very proud of what we did and I don't really want to spoil it now.

Spaced is one of my favorite TV shows. It's definitely not a lesser product than Wright's films.

I was able to watch it from my local library. I remember being so bummed that the third disk was only bonus features and not a third series. Where is it streaming nowadays?

liquidtmd

Banned
It's heart really truly made it greater than the sum of its parts.

An interesting relic of my youth but a good thing if they let it lie.

bpfd

Spaced is one of my favorite TV shows. It's definitely not a lesser product than Wright's films.

I was able to watch it from my local library. I remember being so bummed that the third disk was only bonus features and not a third series. Where is it streaming nowadays?

Hulu has it. This show was great. Won me over with the paintball episode,

Top Bottom