• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysts were blind to one of the biggest upsets in primary history. What went wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It shouldn't have been a surprise at all

Hillary Clinton has taken many positions which are anathema to progressive voters throughout her career and is seen as personally dislikable and dishonest by quite a few voters across political lines

Of course she isn't a shoe in

No, I had it right. That article is also hyperbolic, and doesn't even try to rate Michigan as "one of the biggest upsets in primary history".

It's a nice night for Bernie, but let's not get carried away. The press needs a narrative to talk about the race, and this delivers, but the math is still the math. Delegates are still the priority, and Bernie lost ground in delegates last night.

What the fuck are you on about, mate? Did you even read the article?!!

538 said:
Sanders’s win in Michigan was one of the greatest upsets in modern political history.

That's pretty much exactly what he said!

This isn't about anything other than the upset, so you can keep your strawmen; I don't want 'em.

The head of the DNC already cleared this up:

I still can't believe she admitted to this.

We're talking about Michigan specifically, not the general primary process. Outperforming the polls that drastically is absolutely a major upset and newsworthy, even if it doesn't mean Sanders is going to win or make it a tight race.

Actually, it does refer to the primary in general. Hart upsetting Mondale, which was the last big upset (in 1984), was in New Hampshire.

Even ignoring superdelegates Bernie needs to get 53% of the vote in every remaining contest to win, which I don't see happening. They aren't going to be some great upset in the democratic process.

"Biggest upset" describing a 2 percentage point win doesn't seem to me like it should qualify, expected polls or no.

And the guy's predictions seem wildly off in terms of actual numbers so it just seems like successful dart boards at this point.

Upsets are inherently associated with defying expectations, so no, you can't qualify with 'expected polls or no'. The expectations from polls being so off is the whole reason that this is a major upset. NOT that he won by 2 percentage points.

Also, Tyler is a statistician. He has an actual statistical model and refined it with each primary/caucus result. Those margins will get more and more accurate with each prediction.

Yeah nobody has made this about the win. Not CNN, not NYT, not CBS.

lol

But I'M not making it about that. This is MY thread and I'VE been talking about the statistics since the beginning, not his win.

One of the biggest upsets? Lol.... no.

It was a fairly generic upset considering how uneven primary polling is.

Still, it has some major implications though it doesn't really change the math much.

Chariot

Primary polls were never that wrong before. So yeah, this is not only one of the biggest, it's the biggest upset so far. How much it changes is on another paper, but you can't just ignore that this is a major deviation from what people predicted.

Brakke

Banned
What do you expect? The victory being so unlikely is the story, did you want to see "very improbable thing happened" as a title on CNN?

Take it from this angle: the real story is the statistics failure, right? Even if the vote had gone 50-48 in favor of Hillary, we'd still have a big polling story on our hands. The polls would still have been wildly off and Nate Silver calling it a stunning result would still fit. Since that's the part of the story that matters today and tomorrow and going forward, we should lead with that.

But I'M not making it about that. This is MY thread and I'VE been talking about the statistics since the beginning, not his win.

Well yeah that's fine. There's no question that newsrooms and polling firms all over America are buzzing and hand-wringing over this result today. You don't own the threads you make though. This is a story that's popping off all over the place and I'M interested in the developing narrative more than I'm interested in the statistics, at least until some other Great Lakes states vote and we see if this is a real thing or just a fluke.

Primary polls were never that wrong before. So yeah, this is not only one of the biggest, it's the biggest upset so far. How much it changes is on another paper, but you can't just ignore that this is a major deviation from what people predicted.

I am not saying the polling wasn't way off, but imo biggest upset has to take into account the effect it has on the race, which I don't foresee being that much.

Hillary winning New Hampshire in 2008 was far more significant imo. Kept her in the race far longer than she would have otherwise.

Brakke

Banned
How about just drop delegates in general and go with direct vote counts? Delegates are a holdover from a bygone era, where counting actual votes was impractical.

The one practical thing delegates accomplish is they give us a built-in runoff mechanism. If the Republicans get to convention without a majority candidate, then they'll need the delegates to vote for perhaps several rounds until they find a majority. It probably isn't practical from a turnout standpoint to do a national runoff election (or series of elections) for the primary. Primary turnout is already so low, who's going to show up for the third runoff vote?

Kickz

I know this has partially been discussed already, but no one has pointed out this part of the issue with superdelegates: the fact that the news has been adding them to Hillary's delegate count for pretty much the entire primary season. Are you really going to tell me straight-faced that images like this:
kDTzBRx.png

Have no effect on the primary elections?

I'm not arguing that Clinton is winning in pledged delegates as well, but let's not pretend that the superdelegates haven't influenced voters in any way.

Yeap, pure propaganda.

DarkKyo

The one practical thing delegates accomplish is they give us a built-in runoff mechanism. If the Republicans get to convention without a majority candidate, then they'll need the delegates to vote for perhaps several rounds until they find a majority. It probably isn't practical from a turnout standpoint to do a national runoff election (or series of elections) for the primary. Primary turnout is already so low, who's going to show up for the third runoff vote?

My guess would be the most informed voters which are usually the most passionate about showing up to vote.

The best thing about this election season is that it is exposing how shady the two party system is.

Also it does not surprise me that the wife of the President who signed NAFTA lost the most rusty of rust belt states to someone who is a complete protectionist.

Precisely.

Still, it has some major implications though it doesn't really change the math much.

When talking about the scale of an upset, you have to factor in the percentage point deficit that was anticipated by the polls. In this case, we're talking about 20 to 30 percentage points. That's well beyond the margin of error and is FACTUALLY the biggest upset in primary history.

It's fine if you don't think that it's a big deal, but that doesn't change the facts.

What was a bigger upset in primary polling in terms of predictions versus results?

The OP clearly details we're talking about the polling and analytical process and yet there are still these shitposts from devoted Hillary fans.

I am not saying the polling wasn't way off, but imo biggest upset has to take into account the effect it has on the race, which I don't foresee being that much.

Hillary winning New Hampshire in 2008 was far more significant imo. Kept her in the race far longer than she would have otherwise.

This is something else entirely. What you're talking about is a matter of 'significance' or 'importance', and I'm talking about the literal definition of the word 'big', that refers to the size/scale by which the polls were off.

What was a bigger upset in primary polling in terms of predictions versus results?

The OP clearly details we're talking about the polling and analytical process and yet there are still these shitposts from devoted Hillary fans.

Yeah, the strawmen are getting ridiculous.

Actually, it does refer to the primary in general. Hart upsetting Mondale, which was the last big upset (in 1984), was in New Hampshire.

What I meant was, the upset isn't "Sanders is going to beat Hillary for the nomination!", it's Sanders beat Hillary in this one state where she was expected to clean up.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
It seems like black folk never make their own decisions according to some people.

Why are people acting like this is some new thing? Liberals have already been loudly claiming that poor whites are ignorantly voting against their interests for decades - it's part of why we're seen as condescending elitists.

Look at his Minnesota prediction and reality.

62 sanders -38 clinton <- reality
47 sanders -52 clinton <- model

Dart board.

I'll follow the blog. I'm interesting in his approach. I think you shouldn't cherry pick though.

Yeah, saying he got every Super Tuesday state right but Minnesota, while true, is pretty misleading when he missed the margin Minnesota by 29. For all we know his model got Michigan right for the wrong reasons. I'm certainly going to want to see more before I anoint him a genius.

Yeah, saying he got every Super Tuesday state right but Minnesota, while true, is pretty misleading when he missed the margin Minnesota by 29. For all we know his model got Michigan right for the wrong reasons. I'm certainly going to want to see more before I anoint him a genius.

Fair point, but it's not like Tyler doesn't revise his model after seeing how off his margins are.

His model isn't about getting it right the first time, but becoming less wrong over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom