• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AnandTech reviews the Intel Core i7 11700K, so how HOT is it?

121878.png
Power-11700K-AVX512-T_575px.png

Single Thread:

121898.png

117496.png

More interesting are the multi-threaded SPEC results. Here, the new generation from Intel is showcasing a +7.3% and +19.5% performance improvement over its direct predecessor. Given the power draw increases we’ve seen this generation, those are rather unimpressive results, and actually represent a perf/W regression. AMD’s current 6-core 5600X actually is very near to the 10700K, consuming a fraction of the power. (OUCH)

A Comment on Gaming: Core Latency​

Users looking at our gaming results will undoubtedly be disappointed. The improvements Intel has made to its processor seem to do very little in our gaming tests, and in a lot of cases, we see performance regressions rather than improvements.

Latency-cycles_575px.png

Full review: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16535/intel-core-i7-11700k-review-blasting-off-with-rocket-lake/19

Goddamn that's highly disappointing. Even gaming... no crown taken. Ouch.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Embarrassing?

Gentlemen, this is what they've been doing since 7th gen

My 7700k is rated up to 110c before bop kicks in and turns off my rig; average of like 66c

Sure I could throw water cooling on it; but we don't rate that in reviews because it's dangerous, wink wink nudge nudge

SantaC

Jesus christ. Intel is done.

This cpu cant even beat zen 3 even though it comes out 6 months later.

prag16

Banned
Yikes. Was wondering if I'd regret getting the 10600k for $194 recently instead of waiting for the 11600k, but doubt I'll be missing anything.

longdi

Banned
surprise drop by AT of all site

Seems a good ipc leap, just need to wait for the next series at 10nm+++

11 series is a skip, unless Intel sells them for cheap so we use the XE igpu for sff task.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I hope for Intel’s sake they’re playing 4D chess and they’re close to dropping a world breaking quantum chaos magic processor, because to us regular mortals this looks like they’re struggling to compete or they’re either trying to establish a user base of volcano-base computing or actively trying to increase the global temperature in their own small way.

llien

There might be a trend that we missed.
Consuming more power = good, perhaps?
1000W edition of 3090: (actually achieves 630W)

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I hope for Intel’s sake they’re playing 4D chess and they’re close to dropping a world breaking quantum chaos magic processor, because to us regular mortals this looks like they’re struggling to compete or they’re either trying to establish a user base of volcano-base computing or actively trying to increase the global temperature in their own small way.

They've been fortunate that AMD's reputation had long been tarnished and people tend to hold onto their biases. I've still only one one customer make the switch for their environment and that after massive shortages and security vulnerabilities the past few years. The last year and probably next couple of years might not have much of an impact either as people are just buying what they can get their hands on thanks to industry shortages of just about everything. I'd say it's more luck than 4D chess.

Anyone who buys this chip should have their right to vote revoked.
Many people won't have a choice considering the ongoing shortage on the AMD side. Intel being on 14nm+++++++++++++++ in 2021 is shit but at least yields are infinite for them. If you can't find an AMD Zen 3 anywhere but Intel stuff is everywhere and you want to build now then it will probably end up being Intel or nothing.

horkrux

So, What is that "125W" next to i7 11700k that apprenently goes to 290W indicating?

Normal usage. Not balls-to-the-wall-hyper-crazy-AVX usage.
Not sure why they're even supporting AVX-512. It just makes them look really bad in benchmarks with this absurd level of power draw lol

x@3f*oo_e!

AVX-512 bashing intensifies

lVinYat.png

..mmmh

The danger is that during our testing, the power peaked at an eye-catching 292 W. This was during an all-core AVX-512 workload, automatically set at 4.6 GHz, and the CPU hit 104ºC momentarily. There’s no indication that the frequency reduced when hitting this temperature
Mmh, beating a dead horse here, .. but they turn off the CPU 50% of the time :

6CLHKVS.png

AVX-2 is/was a huge mistake. It can't even run.

Ok that's it. I'm not going to wait for intel to release a decent CPU anymore. I'm switching to AMD, emulators and IPC be damned.

But if you really want intel, the 10000 series is best buy right now. Much cheaper than ryzen and the same gaming performance. In my corner of europe, equivalent ryzens are 60% more expensive. i5 10600 is 60% cheaper than a 5600. A 10850 is cheaper than a 5800, nevermind a 5900 or 5950. If gaming if what you''re after, intel is best buy. This rocket lake was always going to be a temporary patch, until Comet Lake comes out later in the year

Bo_Hazem

Banned

121878.png
Power-11700K-AVX512-T_575px.png

Single Thread:

121898.png

117496.png

More interesting are the multi-threaded SPEC results. Here, the new generation from Intel is showcasing a +7.3% and +19.5% performance improvement over its direct predecessor. Given the power draw increases we’ve seen this generation, those are rather unimpressive results, and actually represent a perf/W regression. AMD’s current 6-core 5600X actually is very near to the 10700K, consuming a fraction of the power. (OUCH)

A Comment on Gaming: Core Latency​

Users looking at our gaming results will undoubtedly be disappointed. The improvements Intel has made to its processor seem to do very little in our gaming tests, and in a lot of cases, we see performance regressions rather than improvements.

Latency-cycles_575px.png

Full review: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16535/intel-core-i7-11700k-review-blasting-off-with-rocket-lake/19

Goddamn that's highly disappointing. Even gaming... no crown taken. Ouch.

50ml6e.jpg

nkarafo

But if you really want intel, the 10000 series is best buy right now. Much cheaper than ryzen and the same gaming performance. In my corner of europe, equivalent ryzens are 60% more expensive. i5 10600 is 60% cheaper than a 5600. A 10850 is cheaper than a 5800, nevermind a 5900 or 5950. If gaming if what you''re after, intel is best buy. This rocket lake was always going to be a temporary patch, until Comet Lake comes out later in the year
Im not comfortable getting a 6 core CPU now. Whatever i get now will have to last me at least 5 years

Im not comfortable getting a 6 core CPU now. Whatever i get now will have to last me at least 5 years

Then a 10700 or 19850/900 are also much cheaper than ryzen. And same gaming performance. You know, contrary to whats going on online, ryzen 5000 cpu's arent faster than intel. They nearly matched it. In real life gaming scenarios, not in 720p, low detail benchmarks done with a RTX 3090. So when you can get a 10700 for 150 bucks cheaper than a 5800, thats the way to go

Last edited:

Elog

Then a 10700 or 19850/900 are also much cheaper than ryzen. And same gaming performance. You know, contrary to whats going on online, ryzen 5000 cpu's arent faster than intel. They nearly matched it. In real life gaming scenarios, not in 720p, low detail benchmarks done with a RTX 3090. So when you can get a 10700 for 150 bucks cheaper than a 5800, thats the way to go
I would argue though that there is a minor price difference as you say but with a decent motherboard the difference goes down a little with slightly better power consumption on the AMD chip under load. I agree that it is close but if you have a choice and are not adamant to get an Intel CPU, I do not really see the reason to get one right now.

Marlenus

You have to look at CPU + Mobo cost but the 10700 range is good and the 10850 is a great all around CPU.

If mobo + 5800X is cheaper for the features someone wants that is a good but but mobo + 10700/10850 are also good buys if platform cost is cheaper.

I would argue though that there is a minor price difference as you say but with a decent motherboard the difference goes down a little with slightly better power consumption on the AMD chip under load. I agree that it is close but if you have a choice and are not adamant to get an Intel CPU, I do not really see the reason to get one right now.

Its not a minor price difference where im at. Brand new 10600 cpu costs 240 bucks. Ryzen 5600 costs 400. A 10700 costs 340 and a 5800 costs 535 bucks. Ryzens are 60-70% more expensive and games run pretty much the same between them and intel equivalents.

dave_d

Its not a minor price difference where im at. Brand new 10600 cpu costs 240 bucks. Ryzen 5600 costs 400. A 10700 costs 340 and a 5800 costs 535 bucks. Ryzens are 60-70% more expensive and games run pretty much the same between them and intel equivalents.
Apparently Amazon is selling the 10850k for $400. Of course if you have a microcenter you can get an even better deal. Wow, $350? Damn.

Top Bottom