• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anandtech: The DirectX 12 Performance Preview

Kezen

Banned
Halo being ported to the more powerful PC yet performing worse than the original Xbox comes to mind.

Do you have a source ?

49806.gif

dr_rus

Am I correct in assuming those gains are for intel cpus? Would AMD cpus see a similar gain?

The slower the CPU the more relative gain it will show on average. So those gains are actually the biggest on AMD CPUs as they are the slowest.

E.G.

Banned
The slower the CPU the more relative gain it will show on average. So those gains are actually the biggest on AMD CPUs as they are the slowest.

Thanks. good news. Perhaps my buddy with a FX6200 can put off upgrading for a bit and wont be as CPU bottlenecked w/ his 970.

Journey

Banned
Do you have a source ?

49806.gif

You're joking... right? Dat Geforce 5600 Ultra which is several generations ahead of the Geforce 3 inside the OG Xbox, is clocked at 350Mhz vs 233Mhz for Xbox, and memory bandwidth at 11.2GB/s vs Xbox' 6.4GB/s and despite being 2 full architectural generations ahead and killing it spec wise, it's looking mighty embarrassed at 14fps while running on the best CPU of 2003 lol.

Don't forget that Halo PC launched 2 years after the Xbox version and not only are those GPUs several generations ahead, but those numbers are pretty sad considering, so forget trying to use an equivalent GeForce 3 which is what Xbox was equipped with and a CPU from 2001, because the numbers would be embarrassing, in fact the more popular gaming GPU at the time was the Geforce 4 Ti series, typically on a P4 3.2 Ghz which we can clearly call "A more powerful PC" was the most common setup and people were very vocal about the performance issues.

If you purchased Halo PC when it launched and attempted to run it on a pretty good PC for 2003, you wouldn't be asking for sources, you would just know by experience.

You're joking... right? Dat Geforce 5600 Ultra which is several generations ahead of the Geforce 3 inside the OG Xbox, is clocked at 350Mhz vs 233Mhz for Xbox, and memory bandwidth at 11.2GB/s vs Xbox' 6.4GB/s and despite being 2 full architectural generations ahead and killing it spec wise, it's looking mighty embarrassed at 14fps while running on the best CPU of 2003 lol.

Don't forget that Halo PC launched 2 years after the Xbox version and not only are those GPUs several generations ahead, but those numbers are pretty sad considering, so forget trying to use an equivalent GeForce 3 which is what Xbox was equipped with and a CPU from 2001, because the numbers would be embarrassing, in fact the more popular gaming GPU at the time was the Geforce 4 Ti series, typically on a P4 3.2 Ghz which we can clearly call "A more powerful PC" was the most common setup and people were very vocal about the performance issues.

If you purchased Halo PC when it launched and attempted to run it on a pretty good PC for 2003, you wouldn't be asking for sources, you would just know by experience.

I bought halo pc when it came out, had a 9800pro at the time and an athlon xp 2800+, ran really well for me (though it was a good pc at the time^^)
also 1280x1024 on my pc vs 640*480 on my xbox

geforce 4 ti was 2001 stuff btw, I had one before my 9800pro

The only negative memory I have of halo pc was how pathetic the netcode was, and I believe the game even had peer2peer multiplayer instead of dedicated servers (might be misremembering that one)
The multiplayer was simply not worth playing

Journey

Banned
I bought halo pc when it came out, had a 9800pro at the time and an athlon xp 2800+, ran really well for me (though it was a good pc at the time^^)
also 1280x1024 on my pc vs 640*480 on my xbox

geforce 4 ti was 2001 stuff btw, I had one before my 9800pro

The only negative memory I have of halo pc was how pathetic the netcode was, and I believe the game even had peer2peer multiplayer instead of dedicated servers (might be misremembering that one)
The multiplayer was simply not worth playing

April 2002 to be exact, a generation ahead and clearly more powerful than Xbox, but don't try running Halo. Classic example if you ask me.

I guess they are going to have an x1 dx12 team member on the podcast before GDC and then again after GDC.

It would be nice to hear from an actual DX12 engineer before GDC, but being that there is supposedly a lot of DX12 stuff to be shown and discussed at GDC, I'm not sure how much they would reveal.

Either way, I would like to finally hear the facts about DX12 from the horses mouth.

Kezen

Banned

You could have a better experience on a Geforce 4 and a 3.0ghz P4 still. Halo was not anywhere near the monster you are making it out to be. I did play it on PC at the time and it blew the Xbox version away easily.

Ah, some things don't change hey. ;)

Edit : My memory is a bit fuzzy regarding my father's PC at the time but I remember it being a ABIT KR7A motherboard, AMD XP 1800+ CPU and a Geforce 4 ti 4400.
I was playing at 1024*768.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
Im sort of new into this DX12 hype.

Is its performance boost going to carry over on a equivalent level to the xbox one since its mainly for PC? Or is the xbox one's hardware a limiting factor to the true effectiveness of the Xbox One.

Jesus IDK what to believe with all these 50%, 600%, 200%, 100% increases lines people are saying.

Some guy was saying Xbox one is running direct x 9 so once 12 comes up on it that x3 increase at least.

Another guy said DX12 was demo'd on a xbox one and it allowed some test to go up to 120fps.

I dont know what to believe, nor know what to even counter with in a argument, however what alot people are telling me doesnt add up to me.

My basic sense would say Direct X cannot substitute for performance hardware, and that DX take full advantage of something that has the ability of the initial power. Sort of like putting a turbo in your Mom's mini van versus a sports car. Yeah the mini van may get a boost so far without worrying about blowing the engine, but its not going to fully substitute for the lack for power whilst the sports car you'll see a significant difference/increase cause the engine can handle it.

Dmented

Banned

Is its performance boost going to carry over on a equivalent level to the xbox one since its mainly for PC? Or is the xbox one's hardware a limiting factor to the true effectiveness of the Xbox One.

Jesus IDK what to believe with all these 50%, 600%, 200%, 100% increases lines people are saying.

Some guy was saying Xbox one is running direct x 9 so once 12 comes up on it that x3 increase at least.

Another guy said DX12 was demo'd on a xbox one and it allowed some test to go up to 120fps.

I dont know what to believe, nor know what to even counter with in a argument, however what alot people are telling me doesnt add up to me.

My basic sense would say Direct X cannot substitute for performance hardware, and that DX take full advantage of something that has the ability. Sort of like putting a turbo in your Mom's mini van versus a sports card. Yeah the mini van may get a boost without worrying about blowing the engine, but its not going to fully substitute for the lack for power whilst the sports card you'll see a significant difference/increase.

I'm not 100% sure what DX12 will do for the Xbox but I can tell you what you've been hearing is complete nonsense. Someone else can explain why with better knowledge on it.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
I'm not 100% sure what DX12 will do for the Xbox but I can tell you what you've been hearing is complete nonsense. Someone else can explain why with better knowledge on it.

Thats what im looking for a solid explanation about its cause with xbox one.

Cause it sort of adds up for the PC cause of parts that can fully take advantage of the DX12 and what it has to offer, but when it comes to the Xbox one, sounds like hype of smoke and mirrors that doesnt exist. Although I think most of the hype is derived from fan boys who take a inch and go a mile type deal, they dont understand it fully or at all then just paint a utopia of "what they hope it to be" when its far from it.

That and like I said the MS exec came out and said to expect no dramatic change when all this hype came out and they are like OH OH HES DOWNPLAYING IT THERES A NON DISCLOSURE ACT - where people cant talk about hidden chips on the xbox one etc etc...

dr_rus

Why do you talk to drunk Xbox fans?

XBO doesn't run DX9, it runs a custom feature level of DX11. It is perfectly capable of going up to 1000 fps right now while rendering single unshaded triangle.

DX12 will bring an API unification between XBO and Windows. This means that a game written for Win/DX12 should probably "just work" on XBO and it is very likely that any XBO/DX12 game will "just work" on Win/DX12 PC. That's the extent of what DX12 will bring to XBO because the other parts of DX12 on PC which will allow these performance increases is already a part of Xbox One API/driver.

No, it's going to be mainly for pc.
It isn't going to be for every developer nor every game. Low level programming isn't easy.
For games that aren't cpu-bounded, expect small improvements, like 5%.
For somewhat cpu-bounded games, expect improvements of 25-30%.
For super cpu heavy games, expect improvements of 60%...
...and for mega cpu bounded mosnters (imagine a type of game which directly doesn't exist right now because it would be too much with actual apis, like a space games with thousands of physics driven ships, like the starswarm demo), expect improvements of 250%.

leeh

Thats what im looking for a solid explanation about its cause with xbox one.

Cause it sort of adds up for the PC cause of parts that can fully take advantage of the DX12 and what it has to offer, but when it comes to the Xbox one, sounds like hype of smoke and mirrors that doesnt exist. Although I think most of the hype is derived from fan boys who take a inch and go a mile type deal, they dont understand it fully or at all then just paint a utopia of "what they hope it to be" when its far from it.

That and like I said the MS exec came out and said to expect no dramatic change when all this hype came out and they are like OH OH HES DOWNPLAYING IT THERES A NON DISCLOSURE ACT - where people cant talk about hidden chips on the xbox one etc etc...
Basically, we're going to see good efficiency improvements with DX running across multiple cores. With the CPU's in the X1/PS4 being lower clocked, higher core, this matches their architecture so we'll get improved GPU utilization. Due to it being a console, the latency on it's draw calls will be lower than what's seen on PC, whether this will be improved further, we're not sure. Although the interview with the developers of Metro, point to it being so.

There's also the DX12 hardware level features which have been teased. If these are supported on the X1 (Big IF), then we're going to see some nice advancements based on whatever they announce. Personally, with the architectural design using 8 low clocked cores, and the emphasis on DX12 being in that area, then they must of considered hardware level DX12 features in the GPU. Also take into consideration that MS invested 1Billion USD into AMD for their designing of the X1 APU.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
It isn't going to be for every developer nor every game. Low level programming isn't easy.
...and for mega cpu bounded mosnters (imagine a type of game which directly doesn't exist right now because it would be too much with actual apis, like a space games with thousands of physics driven ships, like the starswarm demo), expect improvements of 250%.

but all these percentages, whats the increase pertaining to? resolution? FPS? general graphics?

Kezen

Banned

We don't have enough data to properly estimate the impact of DX12 with final drivers. Your numbers are taken out of your bumhole.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
We don't have enough data to properly estimate the impact of DX12 with final drivers. Your numbers are taken out of your bumhole.

Lol thats what im saying, AND arent the numbers of increases coming from tech demos or "proof of concept" demos?

Or what have they exactly tested it on.

I got some guy on my group telling me some demo pumped out 120fps on xbox one hardware(didnt say if it was actual xbox one or similar hardware) and i said show me proof/vid/article.

Then another guy says well xbox one is a computer and hardware is similar to that of PC's therefore why wouldnt it take full advantage of the Dx12 situation, and I said because its lower level internals/economical stuff. Make sense?

The basis with Dx12 I didn't read up early on and now im so caught up between hype/lies/propaganda to figure out whats what. Especially with this Brad guy coming out on Inner Circle Podcast or w/e This still sounded like it was directed towards PC but these fanboys take a inch and go a mile with it.

Lol thats what im saying, AND arent the numbers of increases coming from tech demos or "proof of concept" demos?

Or what have they exactly tested it on.

I got some guy on my group telling me some demo pumped out 120fps on xbox one hardware(didnt say if it was actual xbox one or similar hardware) and i said show me proof/vid/article.

Then another guy says well xbox one is a computer and hardware is similar to that of PC's therefore why wouldnt it take full advantage of the Dx12 situation, and I said because its lower level internals/economical stuff. Make sense?

The basis with Dx12 I didn't read up early on and now im so caught up between hype/lies/propaganda to figure out whats what. Especially with this Brad guy coming out on Inner Circle Podcast or w/e This still sounded like it was directed towards PC but these fanboys take a inch and go a mile with it.

Beyond 3d is having a discussion on it and Andrew Lauritzen is chiming in. Check out console technology

So, to sum up:

• The new generation of graphics APIs are more or less converging. DX12, GNM, Mantle, Metal, and GLNext are (or are likely to be) all pretty similar, with similar performance characteristics, +/- some amount due to implementation issues, drivers, etc.
  • The primary performance improvement you get from these new APIs are draw calls that take less CPU time and can be issued from any thread. So, compared to the old APIs (DX11, OpenGL) you can either make more draw calls, or get more CPU time for other tasks.
  • Games that have a DX11 or OpenGL backend as well as a Mantle or DX12 backend are only going to see significant performance improvements on the new API if you have an unusually slow CPU relative to your GPU. That's because games will still be built around the draw call limitations of the old APIs.
  • In the distant future when support for DX11 and OpenGL can be dropped completely, we may start seeing some pretty cool stuff (more draw calls means more unique objects in the world, which is exciting).
  • The performance benefits from moving to DX12 on Xbox One will be less than the performance benefits on PC, because the DX11 version used on Xbox One already has extensions that can make draw calls cheaper.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
So, to sum up:

• The performance benefits from moving to DX12 on Xbox One will be less than the performance benefits on PC, because the DX11 version used on Xbox One already has extensions that can make draw calls cheaper.

So thats it? 300% increase? 60%? 40%

or you cannot comment? it seems its obvious of its benefits for the PC but almost nothing can be said for the xbox one other than itll help somewhat?

IDK how dudes can speculate so hard on dx12 and the effects on xbox one and speak like they are professionals The people I hear locally around me talking about it? when they are merely minimum wage works at a grocery store I guess that makes them a expert. My buddy is the one whos trying to tell me all this stuff and I ask where he hears this from and its from some dudes he works with, and it makes me mad cause he doesnt question them and just repeats this information hook line and sinker....doesnt understand it, but believes it word for word what they say.

I told him about how the MS exec came out and said DX12 cant change clock speeds and will not be that dramatic of a change. And he said really he said that? I said yes bro he came out and clarified it. He seemingly was shocked, cause he doesn't read anything online and as I said just believes "Speculation" to the full extent, speculation that is from a amateur source.

or you cannot comment? it seems its obvious of its benefits for the PC but almost nothing can be said for the xbox one other than itll help somewhat?

IDK how dudes can speculate so hard on dx12 and the effects on xbox one and speak like they are professionals? when they are merely minimum wage works at a grocery store I guess that makes them a expert.

That kind of language get you nowhere but off GAF.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
That kind of language get you nowhere but off GAF.

Im not talking about anyone on this forum but people I hear talking about the this stuff near me, My comment was talking about people I know locally...

Not talking trash about anyone here on the forum, sorry if it came off that way. I went back and clarified.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
IDK how dudes can speculate so hard on dx12 and the effects on xbox one and speak like they are professionals The people I hear locally around me talking about it? when they are merely minimum wage works at a grocery store I guess that makes them a expert. My buddy is the one whos trying to tell me all this stuff and I ask where he hears this from and its from some dudes he works with, and it makes me mad cause he doesnt question them and just repeats this information hook line and sinker....doesnt understand it, but believes it word for word what they say.
If one wants to believe hype, they probably will until bashed over the head with reality.

I have a hard to believing that MS wasn't doing stuff like that already in the XB1, so minimal improvements with DX12 wont' shock me at all.

I told him about how the MS exec came out and said DX12 cant change clock speeds and will not be that dramatic of a change. And he said really he said that? I said yes bro he came out and clarified it. He seemingly was shocked, cause he doesn't read anything online and as I said just believes "Speculation" to the full extent, speculation that is from a amateur source.

So, for more details here's a slide that shows some of the DX12-like features that are already present in the Xbox One SDK:
inside-xbox-one-by-martin-fuller-14-638.jpg

Since these features are already present on the Xbox One, draw calls on Xbox One are already cheaper than they are on PC, so the relative improvement of moving to DX12 (which will introduce these feature on PC) will be reduced. I wouldn't want to speculate on exactly how big the difference might be, because I'd just be making things up.

Some information from AndyL of Intel:

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/directx-12-the-future-of-it-within-the-console-gaming-space-specifically-the-xb1.55487/page-45

psorcerer said: ↑
And only now, in 2015, for some strange reason these features suddenly appear.

There are a lot of reasons why "now" is a good time. For some reason people have gotten the impression that because today we can do a pretty nice, portable low-overhead API, that this was always the case. It absolutely wasn't... GPU hardware itself has only recently gotten to the level of generality required to support something like DX12. It would not have worked nearly as nicely on a ~DX10-era GPU...

Another huge shift in the industry lately is the centralization of rendering technology into a small number of engines, written by a fairly small number of experts. Back when every studio write their own rendering code something like DX12 would have been far less viable. There are still people who do not want these lower-level APIs of course, but most of them have already moved to using Unreal/Unity/etc :)

More than that, I've seen numerous developers trying to persuade MSFT that the change is needed, but it didn't happen up until now.

The notion that it hasn't been blatantly clear to everyone for a long time that this was a problem is silliness. Obviously it has been undesirable from day one and it's something that has been discussed during my entire career in graphics. Like I said, it's a combination of secondary factors that make things like DX12 practical now, not some single industry event.
function said: ↑
yet they still manage to drive forward a much needed initiative like Mantle, and then everyone else kicks them into the shins, takes the project and runs off with it. Up next: Nvidia and Intel take Adaptive sync via display port and run off with it.

That's a twisted view of the world. Frankly it's not terribly difficult to make an API that maps well to one piece of hardware. See basically every console API ever. If you feel bad that the other "modern" APIs are apparently ripping off Mantle (and just trivially adding portability in an afternoon ;)) then you should really feel sorry for Sony and others in the console space who came up with these ideas much earlier still (see libgcm). But the whole notion is stupid - it's a small industry and we all work with each other and build off good ideas from each other constantly.

Ultimately if Mantle turns out to be a waste of engineering time (which is far from clear yet), AMD has no one to blame but themselves in terms of developing and shipping a production version. If their intention was really to drive the entire industry forward they could have spent a couple months on a proof of concept and then been done with it.

The adaptive sync thing is particularly hilarious as that case is a clear reaction to what NVIDIA was doing... but building it on top of DP is precisely because this stuff was already in eDP! It's also highly related to other ideas that have been cooking there for some time (panel self refresh). Don't get fooled by marketing "we did it first" nonsense.

3dilettante said: ↑
So much goes on behind the scenes of API development that I'm not sure we will know the full story, or if given the number of players and viewpoints we can.

Yep, as you say I'm not even sure the notion of a "full story" is well-defined, despite human nature wanting a tidy narrative :) Certainly multiple parties have been working on related problems for quite a long time here, and no one party has perfect information. As folks may or may not remember from the B3D API interview (http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/120/3), these trends were already clearly established in 2011. Even if Mantle was already under development then (and at least it seems like Mike didn't know about it if it was), I certainly didn't know about it :) Yet - strangely enough - we were still considering all of these possibilities then.
3dilettante said: ↑
A lot of things can be done to shift things one way or another, and each party can cite their fraction of the overall story to justify their desired narrative.

Exactly, which is why it's ultimately a useless exercise. All of the statements can even be correct, because that's how the industry actually works: nothing ever comes from a vacuum.

sebbbi said: ↑
Yes. However the GPU is VERY good at viewport culling and occlusion culling. This means that the GPU needs to eventually be able to submit all the draw calls (because it knows the visible set, the CPU does not).

I'm not sure I'm totally bought in to either sentence there :) The GPU is pretty good at the math for culling, but it's not great with the data structures. You can argue that for the number of objects you're talking about you might as well just brute force it, but as I showed a few years ago with light culling, that's actually not as power-efficient. Now certainly GPUs will likely become somewhat better at dealing with less regular data structures, but conversely as you note, CPUs are becoming better at math just as quickly, if not *more* quickly.

For the second part of the statement, maybe for a discrete GPU. I'm not as convinced that latencies absolutely "must be high" because we "must buffer lots of commands to keep the GPU pipeline fed" in the long run. I think there is going to be pressure to support much more direct interaction between CPU/GPU on SoCs for power efficiency reasons and in that world it is not at all clear what makes the most sense. Ex. we're going to be pretty close to a world where even a single ~3Ghz Haswell core can generate commands faster than the ~1Ghz GPU frontend can consume them in DX12 already so looping in the GPU frontend is not really a clear win if we end up in a world with significantly lower submission latencies.

It may go in the direction that you're saying and we certainly should pursue both ways, but I disagree that it's a guaranteed endpoint.

Ethatron said: ↑
Almost all the studios which survived till now still have their own engines! Basically all console newcomers (RAD fe.) still build their own new engines, which have some chance of being ported to PC (see Resident Evil).
I'm talking about PC. On console it's somewhat less relevant as very few developers who are willing to target - say - PS3 are scared of a "low level" API like libgcm. And rightfully so... these APIs aren't really difficult per se, especially when they are only for one piece of pre-determined hardware.

Also note that when I say "engines", I'm talking about technology created by graphics "experts" that are used across multiple titles. Ex. Frostbite is obviously an engine even though it is not sold as middleware.

And a great deal of them are stuck at DX9/OGL2 and will never move forward.

That further supports my point - if they haven't moved forward to even DX10/11 then it has nothing to do with the "ease of use" of the API and continuing to cater to programmers who want "safer, easier" APIs is wasted effort.

It's always possible to move forward, it was always possible to make "cool" APIs. I conjecture the problem ist _not_ the game developers, the problem is that the API providers don't know where something experimental leads to, and because it's business they feel reluctant to throw resources behind a crazy idea, they don't want market segmentation and whatnot business-based concepts.

I don't think the resourcing has ever been a huge concern to be honest... as you yourself point out, to these big companies it's peanuts. I wouldn't be surprised if some misguided notion of "protecting" the advantages of the Xbox platform vs. PC have played a role in the past, but I don't think anyone has really said "we're not doing this because it would take some time".

Ultimately, the reason for DX12 coming 12 years too late, is business, nothing else IMHO.

Obviously DX12 as it is defined would not have worked on hardware 12 years ago, so you can hand wave about a "DX12-like API" but I think it's far from clear that you could do a similarly portable and efficient API more than a few years ago.

Why?

They couldn't support WDDM2.0 for one, which is an important part of the new API semantics. It hasn't been that long that GPUs have had properly secured per-process VA spaces - certainly 12 years ago there were a lot of GPUs still using physical addressing and KMD patching, hence the WDDM1.x design in the first place.

Example: UE is not sold for 7 digit numbers, but is "free-to-play".

Ha, don't be fooled by their re-positioning - do the math and it's about the same cost as it was before for a AAA studio. The only difference is it's somewhat more accessible to indy devs now too, a la. Unity.

Yes, that could happen, that's why we remove the frontend. And program GPU directly.

Meh, you can already do that with "compute", and the notion isn't even well-defined with the fixed function hardware. There are sort/serialization points in the very definition of the graphics pipeline - you can't just hand wave those away and "we'll just talk *directly* to the hardware this time guys!". Talking directly to the hardware *is* talking to the units that spawn threads, create rasterizer work, etc.
CP, which is a totally standard CPU, but we cannot program directly even that, because it's managed by the byte-code generated by driver.
By all means expose the CP directly and make it better at what it does! But that's arguing my point: you're effectively just putting a (currently kinda crappy) CPU on the front of the GPU. That's totally fine, but the notion that the "GPU is a better CPU" is kind of silly if your idea of a GPU includes a CPU. And you're going to start to ask why you need a separate CPU-like core just to drive graphics on an SoC that already has very capable ones nearby...

function said: ↑
How would you like to see CPU/GPU integration progress to support a DX12 like API on a next gen console?

That's kind of a big topic for another thread I think, but at a minimum you need a tighter integration of caches between CPU/GPU (at least something like Haswell's LLC) with some basic controls for coherency (even if explicit), shared virtual memory (consoles can get away with shared physical I guess) and efficient, low-latency atomics and signaling mechanisms between the two. The multiple compute queue's stuff in current gen is a good start but ultimately I'd like to see that a bit finer grained - i.e. warp-level work stealing on the execution units themselves rather than everything having to go through the frontend.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
So direct x 12 like feature are already present in the xbox one now?

My whole thing is its not going to be as dramatic as the fanboys hope for. They are always defending the xbox one and justifying their purchase and its like WHY? And the devs/execs/PR guys arent even really hyping this for the xbox one, thats what gets me, its all the fans over hyping DX 12.

When I heard the guy say there was non disclosure agreements with the xbox one and thats why they cant comment on the effects of DX 12 I knew these guys were insane. Its not even hoping for the best they just hear the information then add 300% more into it then what is said.

It reminds me of some kids in grade school hyping stuff they dont understand " Well my dad told me X X and X so its the TRUTH!" type a deal.

A new DirectX 12 Star Swarm performance preview has been posted. This time looking at AMD APUs: How they perform compared Intel, and how the iGPU benefits from DX12.

When comparing i3 with AMD A8 and A10 and 770 GPU
To get right down to business then, are AMD’s APUs able to shift the performance bottleneck on to the GPU under DirectX 12? The short answer is yes. Highlighting just how bad the single-threaded performance disparity between Intel and AMD can be under DirectX 11, what is a clear 50%+ lead for the Core i3 with Extreme and Mid qualities becomes a dead heat as all 3 CPUs are able to keep the GPU fully fed. DirectX 12 provides just the kick that the AMD APU setups need to overcome DirectX 11’s CPU submission bottleneck and push it on to the GPU. Consequently at Extreme quality we see a 64% performance increase for the Core i3, but a 170%+ performance increase for the AMD APUs.

More at the link:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8968/star-swarm-directx-12-amd-apu-performance

Raistlin

Just imagine how amazing XBone and PS4's performance would be if they weren't already optimized for draw calls

lol

Top Bottom