• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And all along it was the HDMI cable???

DosGamer

Been gaming since the days of Atari 2600. I remember being a kid and trying to hook up my NES to the TV and making sure the TV was on Channel 2 or 3....
As systems progressed so did the connection methods for setting them up. It got easier.. or so I thought.

Fast forward and I buy a Samsung TV. I go in and hook up my PS5 and my XBOX Series (whatever the fuck it is now.. X, I think) and cut on the TV for some gaming...
only to see nothing... followed by source not recognized. Hmm... this is odd I think, let me take out the HDMI and put it back in... nothing. I go and switch HDMI cables cuz lord knows after all these years of gaming.. the one thing I have extra of is HDMI cables...
and nothing.

Afet about an hour of trouble shooting online I resort to going out and buying a brand new HDMI cable. Take it home, hook it up and boom... it works... What in the actual hell... I have never had this issue with any consoles before, but this Samsung TV and PS5/ Xbox combo is unlike anything I have witnessed..

I had no idea buying a new HDMI would fix the issue.. all along, I thought it was the TV but it looks as if it was the HDMI.

Matt_Fox

If it's a new model TV, you're also best off checking the specs as sometimes HDMI 2.1 is limited to a specific socket. You defo want the 2.1 for the consoles.

danklord

Gold Member
Typically, if an HDMI cable is rated 8K it will work great with modern hardware, but those can be hit or miss too as there's no standard regulation. Some older high quality HDMI cables (like a Bluejeans cable for example) will have no problem transmitting full bandwidth, but you never truly know until you plug in.

Source: I've gone through a ton on Amazon.

Hudo

Been gaming since the days of Atari 2600. I remember being a kid and trying to hook up my NES to the TV and making sure the TV was on Channel 2 or 3....
As systems progressed so did the connection methods for setting them up. It got easier.. or so I thought.

Fast forward and I buy a Samsung TV. I go in and hook up my PS5 and my XBOX Series (whatever the fuck it is now.. X, I think) and cut on the TV for some gaming...
only to see nothing... followed by source not recognized. Hmm... this is odd I think, let me take out the HDMI and put it back in... nothing. I go and switch HDMI cables cuz lord knows after all these years of gaming.. the one thing I have extra of is HDMI cables...
and nothing.

Afet about an hour of trouble shooting online I resort to going out and buying a brand new HDMI cable. Take it home, hook it up and boom... it works... What in the actual hell... I have never had this issue with any consoles before, but this Samsung TV and PS5/ Xbox combo is unlike anything I have witnessed..

I had no idea buying a new HDMI would fix the issue.. all along, I thought it was the TV but it looks as if it was the HDMI.
Lesson learned, now you know. Tell you family and friends.

lachesis

While I don’t believe in paying super premium on certain brand name cables - but I do believe in quality differences between cheap one and good quality cables. I experienced some occasional signal drop offs and it was because I was using cheap cables too.

So I tend to go with at least “certified” one when it comes down to hdmi cables.

Top Bottom