• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDMI cables are weird. Need question answered please

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but HDMI cables are weird...

A year ago, the sound from my receiver would cut out for 3 seconds like every 20 minutes or so. I wasn't sure why, so I just swapped which end plugged into the TV and which end plugged into the receiver and the sound dropouts stopped.

Yesterday, I plugged a new 2.1 cable from my 4070Ti to my 2.1 HDMI TV and every 10 minutes or so, the screen would go black and come back to the game a few seconds later. Remembering what I did for the sound a year ago, I just swapped which end plugged into the TV and which end plugged into the video card and the screen going black stopped.

Am I missing something? Is there a clear indication which end of an HDMI cable plugs into a device?

it shouldn't matter which end you use. it's probably a fault with the connectors. i don't think i've ever had this issue.

some cables might be cheap crap or not the right spec. they should be backwards compatible but some devices might have problems.

Last edited:
Do you know if your cables are 'active' HDMI cables? I know on those they are usually directional so one end specifically goes into the TV/monitor and the other into the device. (See below)

big_HDMIFOREST15MACTIVE.jpg

The end of the cable should only matter for active cables, regular ones are interchangeable; if it's not an active cable then the connectors might be busted.

Time to go 8K HDMI 2.1 optical fiber.

61buqTkTaSL._SX522_.jpg

I tried that when I first got my PS5 back in 2020 and had issues with the screen dropping out every 20 minutes or so like the OP, I had to switch to a conventional (Certified) HDMI 2.1 cable to fix the issue. Below are the cables I ended up going with in my system and now everything has been working flawlessly for well over 2 years now:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42682

Last edited:

Fake

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I tried that when I first got my PS5 back in 2020 and had issues with the screen dropping out every 20 minutes or so like the OP, I had to switch to a conventional (Certified) HDMI 2.1 cable to fix the issue.
Strange, I use these with an HDMI 2.1 switch with no drop outs on PS5, XSX and PC. :lollipop_confounded:

Though with that setup I did have to use a certified cable for the TV to switch connection or I'd get drop outs every 30 min or so but direct to the TV with optical fiber never had drop outs.

Strange, I use these with an HDMI 2.1 switch with no drop outs on PS5, XSX and PC. :lollipop_confounded:

Though with that setup I did have to use a certified cable for the TV to switch connection or I'd get drop outs every 30 min or so but direct to the TV with optical fiber never had drop outs.

In the optical cables defense, the one I was using in 2020 was a non-certified one since they didn't have any certified ones available yet, but it claimed to be 48Gbps bandwidth, but did not like when I played games in 4K/120Hz mode.

Avoid this one for the PS5 for sure:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38631

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I had some flickering issues with my TV when dual-screen with my PC, but I think that was a driver issue.
“When using multiple monitors which support adaptive sync, users may see random flicker on certain displays when G-SYNC is enabled after updating to driver 535.98 [4138119]”
Are your GPU drivers up to date?

Puscifer

I had similar problem. I suggest really getting certified HDMI cables. There is an app that check if the cables got tested, model and serial number. Search for the seal in the cable box and use QR.
Premium_Cable_Identification_Sample.png

This is the best solution. And honestly they're not much more expensive than regular HDMI cables, paying 5 bucks more for certified cables to avoid headaches is just worth it

Last edited:
I had some flickering issues with my TV when dual-screen with my PC, but I think that was a driver issue.
“When using multiple monitors which support adaptive sync, users may see random flicker on certain displays when G-SYNC is enabled after updating to driver 535.98 [4138119]”
yes up to date

can you link to the exact new cable you bought? what length did you buy?
15ft

and

6ft

PaintTinJr

15ft

and

6ft
I gather from this thread, the internet standing joke about ironing hdmi cables never reached gaf, or has been lost to time?

At those type of lengths even the slightest twisting/bending in the cable can cause sporadic errors given the highspeed bandwidth.

Always ring out the cables before use and if you have to have a cable bend/twist, have it do it over as large length as possible, so the plugs at source and destination are straight/flat and the bending twisting is after the first 9-12" away from each device, and consider using special right angled hdmi plugs in situations where a sharp right angle turn is needed.

I would also say that cable quality ratings can mean very little in my experience, and cable construction is more important at the correct spec - good firm girth that holds its shape is a good sign, whereas skinny cables that have a shielding that doesn't hold its shape are less reliable. Higher quality AV kit usually ship with higher grade hdmi chips too, so reliable handshaking over less reliable cabling can vary from device pairings too, just because a cable worked between good kit doesn't mean it will work with lesser kit reliably.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Oh wow, I had that issue with only one monitor earlier this year. I thought it had something to do with HDR.

Justin9mm

I can't remember what I bought but I remember buying a very expensive 8K cable with some ridiculous lifetime warranty because it is the cable that goes from my 85-inch wall mounted TV through my wall to my eARC HDMI 2.1 Receiver. So if anything goes wrong with that cable, it will be an absolute bitch to pull that TV off the wall and run a new one! It's been almost 2 years and haven't had any issues yet, fingers crossed!

Obligatory:

But seriously an HDMI cable runs an electrical signal + and - to create I’s and O’s.. . If something is wrong in the connection it’s either a broken cable, or a broken grounding and a signal that‘s getting hammered by something high powered near to it…or it simply doesn’t have the bandwidth (but it’s seriously old cables you’re talking about in this case).

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Obligatory:

But seriously an HDMI cable runs an electrical signal + and - to create I’s and O’s.. . If something is wrong in the connection it’s either a broken cable, or a broken grounding and a signal that‘s getting hammered by something high powered near to it…or it simply doesn’t have the bandwidth (but it’s seriously old cables you’re talking about in this case).
That just isn't how error correcting rate adaptive transmission protocols like hdmi are designed to work.

Cable specifications are intended for use in ideal conditions at the stated specification but may perform better than spec, or worse than spec in less than ideal conditions.

It only takes the slightest bend in a hdmi cable or warm vented air from a device conducting in the cable to impair the characteristics of the cable, resulting in the received data needing error corrected by the protocol mechanisms and working at close to specification limits. Many hdmi setups in the wild appear to be working normally but are doing constant error correcting on the signals, with ones at that edge having barely perceivable colour degradation in the picture but having too many errors resulting in an intermittent loss of connection or failing to sync output to input device completely, yet might work fine between lower hdmi spec devices needing less bandwidth that results in lower error correction rates..

Last edited:

nkarafo

Same issue a friend of mine had. He used some cheap 2.1 HDMI cable and had tons of issues on a PC + 4K 120hz TV.

Then he bought another one that cost 20$ and the issues went away but the image still drops from time to time.

15ft

and

6ft

I would seriously give these Monoprice cables a go, I have them in my setup now and they have been working great with zero dropouts even when I am gaming at 4K/120Hz, I have a 15ft going from my TV to my Denon receiver and then a 3ft going from the receiver to my PS5. Are you using a receiver or just a HDMI switch? If so, which brand/model? That could also be the culprit, maybe hook it up direct to the TV to see if you are still getting the issues you are having. But if you decide on new cables give the Monoprice ones a try, they are great cables and they don't break the bank.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42682

th4tguy

It probably has more to do with you unplugging them and plugging them back in. They probably weren’t plugged in all the way/ loose.

Boss Man

I’ve had flickering since PS4 Pro. People always recommend different cables but I’ve never seen that work for anyone. I ended up using limited bandwidth settings from the console. I think it’s something to do with Sony’s HDR + certain TVs (Samsung KS8000 in my case).

Last edited:
Top Bottom