• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

anddo0

I bought Baldur's Gate 1 EE and I immediately got wrecked the moment I left the first village. Anyone know of any good guide/wiki sites? lol

Play the tutorial, and learn the general rules. It's a difficult game, gets better once you learn the systems. I wouldn't spoil too much with a guide. It's open world RPG done right, discover as much as possible on your own.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/Walkthrough

best PDF form guide
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/

Ghostoflies

Neo Member

autoduelist

Beat Decromancer. So good. A couple minor glitches aside, solid as heck.

Oh fuck yes, I've been hoping for a new fresh-feeling Kairosoft game. They've been making so many "x shop" sort of games lately.

Are there any good 'Dungeon Village' style games that aren't Dungeon Village [I beat that a long time ago]. I definitely prefer the rpg skin, but I don't know if anyone is doing kairosoft style games besides kairosoft.

DS4. Works great on my Xperia with a controller mount.

Hmm.. now I need to figure out if I can sync a ds4 with my samsung mini-tablet.

-----

Tried Templar Assault RPG, which I believe to be a pre-cursor to Templar Battleforce. Templar Assault felt quite dry -- is the sequel a significant improvement?

Beat Decromancer. So good. A couple minor glitches aside, solid as heck.

Are there any good 'Dungeon Village' style games that aren't Dungeon Village [I beat that a long time ago]. I definitely prefer the rpg skin, but I don't know if anyone is doing kairosoft style games besides kairosoft.

Hmm.. now I need to figure out if I can sync a ds4 with my samsung mini-tablet.

-----

Tried Templar Assault RPG, which I believe to be a pre-cursor to Templar Battleforce. Templar Assault felt quite dry -- is the sequel a significant improvement?

Hold PS key and Share button until the led flashes white, then see if wireless controller shows on the available bluetooths on your tablet. I've been using a DS4 + phone mount to play earthbound all weekend. It's great.

What would be a good Android device to pick up for games? It might sound weird, but I would kind of like to have a separate device, other than my phone, that would be used solely for gaming.

I thought about picking up an iPod Touch, but I hate to lose all the games I've already bought on the Android ecosystem. I assume a used phone would be a good bet, but what are some good options for gaming performance and also small form factor (iPod Touch size'ish")?

Lomax

What would be a good Android device to pick up for games? It might sound weird, but I would kind of like to have a separate device, other than my phone, that would be used solely for gaming.

I thought about picking up an iPod Touch, but I hate to lose all the games I've already bought on the Android ecosystem. I assume a used phone would be a good bet, but what are some good options for gaming performance and also small form factor (iPod Touch size'ish")?

Honestly I think the jump to a 7 inch tablet is leaps and bounds above phone screens for gaming if that form factor isn't too big for what you are looking for.

Honestly I think the jump to a 7 inch tablet is leaps and bounds above phone screens for gaming if that form factor isn't too big for what you are looking for.

Yeah, it honestly kind of is unfortunately. I've got an iPad Mini that I sometimes use at home, but I'm really looking for something that could easily slip into a pocket.

I also have relatively small hands, so I'm all about the small form factor.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I recently picked up a Shield TV and have a Shield Portable on it's way as well. I have all but given up running emulators on my phone because touch buttons are gross. I proposed this same question on reddit, but the few responses I got all said "use RetroArch!" Well, I don't like RetroArch. It's clunky and ugly. I'd rather have something that, well, isn't that. So here's the question/post I put out there...

=====

I just picked up a new Shield TV Pro and am looking to load this thing up with emulators. I have had a Nexus 5 and now own a Note 4, so I'm familiar enough with the Android emulation scene. However, things change, apps release off the store, stuff disappears, etc. I was hoping that people with more experience than me could give me their thoughts on what emulators are worth grabbing for my new device.

For the record, I am totally fine spending money on a GOOD emulator. I don't need freebies that "do OK with a few hiccups here and there" or whatever. I appreciate the help!

• MAME - So there are two versions on MAME on the Play store: 0.139u1 and 0.37b5. The first claims to support over 8000 titles, whereas the latter supports over 2000. I don't fully understand how MAME works (with roms, CHD files, bios), so maybe that's why I don't know which to download.
  • GBA- GBA.emu is what I'm currently using on my phone. I bought the full version and have been SUPER happy with it.
  • NES - NES.emu and John NES are the two I see suggested most often. Is there a reason to grab one over the other?
  • SNES - Snes 9x+ brings me back to the old days of emulation. John SNES is, again, one I've heard good things about. Not sure which will serve present the best frame rates and game support, though. I tried a free one last night with Street Fighter Alpha 2, and at the start of the fight (when it says "Fight!"), it would hang for a few seconds. Not sure if that's the game or the emulator...
  • Genesis - I know nothing about Genesis emulation. I've heard MD.emu is worth buying because of the Genesis, MD, and Sega CD support. I don't imagine this plays 32x stuff, does it? I'd love to play Knuckles Chaotix.
  • GB/GBC- No idea. There's a lot of emulators out there for these systems, but whichever has the most universal and easy to use support/setup would be my goal.
  • DS - DraStic is the only one to go for, right?
  • Gamegear - Are there any?
  • Virtual Boy - Same question as above...
  • N64 - So this is where things get funky. There are a few N64 emulators, and they all seem to have varying levels of compatibility. I want to play the classics (Mario 64, Blast Corps, DK64, Conker), but I also want to play weirder stuff like Glover, Quest 64, etc. I am currently using nightly Mupen 64 AE builds with some pretty good success. I never really know which core to use, though. I was playing Mario 64 and was doing the King Bob-om star, and the game was skipping frames and hiccuping on the default core. But one of the "OpenGL w/Android 5.0+" cores seemed to work like a charm.
  • PS1 - ePSXe is the one I've heard thrown around the most, so I imagine it's the one to go with?
  • PSP - PPSSPP looks like the only reputable one out there.
  • Atari- As an almost 30 year old gamer, I'm ashamed to say I've never played anything on the Atari. I want to change that. I don't know much about the systems, so I don't know where to start.
=====

Maybe this isn't the best place for these questions? I'm also having trouble understanding how MAME file structure works. I was trying to play Metal Slug 6, but it requires Atomiswave Bios, and I had no idea what that was or where to put the file. I was also trying to play Gauntlet Legends, but that required a CHD? Not sure what that is or where that goes...

So any thoughts on tips on the above would be rad. While I enjoy playing my retro stuff on it's original hardware, I can't take those with me on a plane...Also, hooking and unhooking these systems is a bear.

Onto other things, since I DO have two new devices solely for Android gaming, any suggestions on games to rock? I have a code for a full copy of Talos Principle courtesy of buying my Shield TV at Best Buy, so I'm going to give that a shot. The Portable will be mostly my portable emulator, but anything that will run well enough on that will be fine.

Also, anyone who has both of these devices (if you exist...), can I hook up the Portable as a controller for the Shield TV? Or is the Portable controller a separate device entirely?

Vorg

Banned
From the stuff I tried:

Epsxe is great but the best/fastest/most accurate is pcsx reARMed on retroarch. It's not even close in my opinion. Same for megadrive/mega CD and 32x emulation with picodrive, also on retroarch. The problem is, retroarch can be a bitch to navigate and configure properly, so if you can't deal with the hassle, go with epsxe and MD.emu.

You can also try the mame and fba cores in retroarch.

For SNES, snes9x ex is pretty great and it's free.

For gba I use myboy and it also works great.

For Nintendo ds there are a few emulators available, but if you want to have a good experience, there is pretty much only drastic. It's worth the money. Trust me.

As for psp, ppsspp is pretty much the only choice.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
From the stuff I tried:

Epsxe is great but the best/fastest/most accurate is pcsx reARMed on retroarch. It's not even close in my opinion. Same for megadrive/mega CD and 32x emulation with picodrive, also on retroarch. The problem is, retroarch can be a bitch to navigate and configure properly, so if you can't deal with the hassle, go with epsxe and MD.emu.

You can also try the mame and fba cores in retroarch.

For SNES, snes9x ex is pretty great and it's free.

For gba I use myboy and it also works great.

For Nintendo ds there are a few emulators available, but if you want to have a good experience, there is pretty much only drastic. It's worth the money. Trust me.

As for psp, ppsspp is pretty much the only choice.

Is there a good front end for Retroarch on Android? I mean, it's got power and people swear by it, but like...I couldn't even figure out how to turn off control overlay or how to remap controls last night. I was banging my head against the wall.

Esti

Neo Member
Well, I was going to jump in here and ask about what Iron Hide games are up to (I was wondering whether there was another Kingdom Rush game in the pipeline) but I just checked their development blog and saw this:

112_ingame.png

Their new game for 2016 is Iron Marines. A sci-fi RTS that is not strictly tower defense but something more evolved than that. Interesting. Loved the Kingdom Rush games so much I think I'll keep an eye on this. Guess they wanted to work on something new.

I'm on the Iron Marines team!
The game is coming out hopefully in March. (When it's ready :) ).

The game is going to be a single player RTS. A lot of tactics, different units and a lot of action.

kmfdmpig

Is there a good front end for Retroarch on Android? I mean, it's got power and people swear by it, but like...I couldn't even figure out how to turn off control overlay or how to remap controls last night. I was banging my head against the wall.
I quickly became frustrated setting up retroarch and just got the .emu series where available.
A nicer frontend for all emulators is this. http://nvidiashieldzone.com/arc-browser-support-site/

There is also dolphin for gc and wii games... only some work on shield tv at this point however.

Pretty good game. I've been playing it a lot on iOS and have transferred it to my Android.

Save up gems for the 10,000G item on the shop. Later on, gold is the issue, not epic cards.

The game is going to be a single player RTS. A lot of tactics, different units and a lot of action.
Absolutely fantastic!

That's way sooner than I was expecting, I'll be day one for sure (probably on both my Android phone and iPad).

Saying pre-register now?
Global release date isn't until sometime in March. Right now it is only soft-launched in a few countries.

With some games you can download the APK from another country and it works perfectly fine... I'm not sure if you can do that with this game though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Looking at the Aralon games...How are they? There's actually a handful of adventure RPG games by Crescent Moon Games. What are some of the better ones? Looking for a good (and relaxing-ish) game to explore and level up in and such. Story isn't super important.

PepperedHam

Clash Royale is extremely frustrating so far. I like the idea of the game but I feel like I'm outclassed in every single match. Playing against people who have baby dragon cards, these little robot cards that are dropping like 250 dps, and just a never ending pool of elixir. Obviously I have some learning to do but getting completely stomped by people with these awesome cards in my first few matches out of the tutorial isn't fun. And HA come on, gotta wait three hours for a card chest to unlock? I guess it's better than waiting to PLAY but God damn, I need these cards to compete so it may as well be the same thing lmao.

EDIT: Holy shit I just got a card chest that doesn't open for another 8 hours.

Clash Royale is extremely frustrating so far. I like the idea of the game but I feel like I'm outclassed in every single match. Playing against people who have baby dragon cards, these little robot cards that are dropping like 250 dps, and just a never ending pool of elixir. Obviously I have some learning to do but getting completely stomped by people with these awesome cards in my first few matches out of the tutorial isn't fun. And HA come on, gotta wait three hours for a card chest to unlock? I guess it's better than waiting to PLAY but God damn, I need these cards to compete so it may as well be the same thing lmao.

EDIT: Holy shit I just got a card chest that doesn't open for another 8 hours.
I just installed this. These chest times are ridiculous. The worst part is that more than one chest cannot count down at the same time. I've got three, 3-hour countdown chests and one 8 hour chest. If I play another match, I won't even get another chest because you can only have four at a time.

That said, the game is fun. I've never played one of these kind of card games before. I've gone 3-2 so far against randoms.

How is it? The ratings for this game is atrocious....
I haven't played it yet, but looking at the reviews, a lot of the negative ones seem to be from people mad that the game isn't an actual souls game. Seriously. Pretty dumb thing to expect when it's not billed as one, as far as I can tell.

Edit: Alright. So now that I've stopped caring about the chests things a bit, I'm finding this to be pretty addicting. There's just something about playing strategy games against real people.

linsivvi

I haven't played it yet, but looking at the reviews, a lot of the negative ones seem to be from people mad that the game isn't an actual souls game. Seriously. Pretty dumb thing to expect when it's not billed as one, as far as I can tell.

Yeah I noticed. I would definitely trust NeoGAF's opinion over those comments.

kennah

How are the Galaxy Tab S2 tablets? Should I get that or a Nexus whatever?

Looking for some thing with a smaller screen and 32gig

reKon

Banned
How are the Galaxy Tab S2 tablets? Should I get that or a Nexus whatever?

Looking for some thing with a smaller screen and 32gig

http://slickdeals.net/f/8540563-samsung-galaxy-s2-8-0-tab-299-99-plus-50-best-buy-gift-card

or

Get the Nvidia Shield if you care more about getting stock android updates, gaming performance and better battery life, and front facing speakers.

The Tab S2 has a much better screen, is much slimmer, has multi window capability, a fingerprint scanner, and strong CPU / decent GPU performance.

kennah

It would be mostly for gaming. Looks like the S2 isn't even really in Canada yet. $400 isn't bad for a shield but I wanted more than 16gig. Boooo. Thanks for the tip.

kmfdmpig

It would be mostly for gaming. Looks like the S2 isn't even really in Canada yet. $400 isn't bad for a shield but I wanted more than 16gig. Boooo. Thanks for the tip.

Pop a fast SD card in there and use Android 6 to make it system memory and you'll be all set.

Okay it's March. Where is it? jk

I keep throwing money at the screen but nothing happens.

Seriously though, will you post here when it's live?

Top Bottom