• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

rugioh

Banned
For anyone that has a OnePlus3/T, what carrier do you have? Is T-Mobile/Sprint coverage decent now? I'd get off Verizon if I could but I remember T-Mobile coverage in my area being pretty crappy years ago when I was on it

Jeffrey

For anyone that has a OnePlus3/T, what carrier do you have? Is T-Mobile/Sprint coverage decent now? I'd get off Verizon if I could but I remember T-Mobile coverage in my area being pretty crappy years ago when I was on it

Had it on AT&T. It was fine.

Check opensignal.com for coverage and speeds around you.

JCX

Boot loop? Maybe an update bricked it?

Mr.Shrugglesツ;230025394 said:

Thanks for the tips!

Thankfully it does boot into recovery, but clearing the partition hasn't worked yet. The boot up screen starts, but it keeps freezing when the google logo appears, then turns off. Even a factory reset won't stop it from going into a boot loop.

No Love

Banned
Nougat is such a huge improvement. The notification system alone is so much better for every purpose. Makes life a lot easier dealing with the fuckton of messages I get everyday from so many different people on so many different apps.

Jeffrey

Nougat is such a huge improvement. The notification system alone is so much better for every purpose. Makes life a lot easier dealing with the fuckton of messages I get everyday from so many different people on so many different apps.

On what. Axon 7?

Hearing its buggy and kills battery?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My Nexus 5X suddenly won't turn on. It was working, put it in my pocket, and an hour later it won't fully boot. Sometimes it'll load the google logo, but it always turns off. Any ideas?
Lmao welcome to the club. Go exchange it. There's no way around this hardware issue.

Laekon

On my 5X I thought it was useless. The new Doze doesn't seem to make any difference in battery life. Notifications were fine to me in 6.0.

jambo

Ok so I can either get a Huawei Mate 9 today, or wait and see what the LG G6 and Galaxy S8 Edge are like.

My main thing is battery though, so what are the chances that LG or Samsung will outdo the Mate 9?

Great article on android police. It is almost word for word exactly what I been saying lately:

Until we have an Apple Watch of our own, no one is going to take Android Wear seriously (opinion)

Google pls

Ok so I can either get a Huawei Mate 9 today, or wait and see what the LG G6 and Galaxy S8 Edge are like.

My main thing is battery though, so what are the chances that LG or Samsung will outdo the Mate 9?
well the Mate 9 is fucking huge. So it naturally has a huge ass battery. It likely won't beat it. The S8+ is rumoured to have the same battery capacity as the Note 7. Go read Note 7 reviews for battery life and make the decision. Other than that almost everything has leaked.

I personally would rather get an S8 than a huawei phone but that's just me, I'm not a fan of non-google OEMs so I'm biased in general. And yes I'm ignoring LG on purpose.

Great article on android police. It is almost word for word exactly what I been saying lately:

Until we have an Apple Watch of our own, no one is going to take Android Wear seriously (opinion)

Google pls

well the Mate 9 is fucking huge. So it naturally has a huge ass battery. It likely won't beat it. The S8+ is rumoured to have the same battery capacity as the Note 7. Go read Note 7 reviews for battery life and make the decision. Other than that almost everything has leaked.

I personally would rather get an S8 than a huawei phone but that's just me, I'm not a fan of non-google OEMs so I'm biased in general. And yes I'm ignoring LG on purpose.

The solution: Build a damn watch, Google

Reminds me of how they fixed their tablet problem.

……

Mr.Shrugglesツ;230040248 said:
Reminds me of how they fixed their tablet problem.

but that's apples to oranges imo. Tablets can still be customized by OEMs and relies on devs a lot. Android Wear is completely locked down by google. The tablet problem is the opposite. Hardware was ok from OEMs, it's the software that wasn't delivering whether it was crappy skins, slow updates, or no third party apps.

Watch is the opposite. Google locks down the software because they have a vision for it, but the hardware is failing completely. This is something they can resolve on their own. Pixel hardware is all good from laptop to tablet to phones. Not perfect but they're all good. I'm sure some will disagree as i know some people here dislike the apple watch and own android wear watches but the market hath spoken on this one.

Mate 9 already has an amazing battery. I doubt either phone will be better.

jambo

I'm coming from an LG Nexus 5 that had issues and an LG G4 that had to be replaced twice (bootloop and then touch screen randomly started going off without me touching it) so I was probably never going to get the G6.

The G4 is already pretty big (5.5) and after seeing the Mate 9 (5.9) in-store it's not that much bigger.

Going to read more reviews and have a look at the phones again on my lunch break.

reKon

Banned
Mate 9 already has an amazing battery. I doubt either phone will be better.

The S8 Edge is likely to have a better screen, better camera, look better aesthetically, similar battery life (unless they've pushed screen efficiency past S6 & S7 levels), and a solid software experience.

jambo

The S8 Edge is likely to have a better screen, better camera, look better aesthetically, similar battery life (unless they've pushed screen efficiency past S6 & S7 levels), and a solid software experience.

Only issue with waiting for the S8 Edge are the trade-in value on my LG G4 dropping when the G6 comes out and the S8 Edge probably being on a higher monthly plan.

Currently I would be paying the same amount going to the Mate 9, but the S8 Edge plan will probably be $10-$15 more a month.

Remember the one plus X. I thought that was a slick fucking phone. Make an all metal version of that or something, and go bezeless like everyone else, premium specs, would get.

LeleSocho

Banned
If it were for me 1+4 would have the same body of the 3 just with a good screen this time (either true 1080p or pentile QHD since they are stubborn on using amoled) camera up to the task and up to date SoC all with a sub 400 bucks price

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If it were for me 1+4 would have the same body of the 3 just with a good screen this time (either true 1080p or pentile QHD since they are stubborn on using amoled) camera up to the task and up to date SoC all with a sub 400 bucks price

This though the price can stay in the current ballpark.

Just fix the screen issue.

ElNino

Just fix the screen along with the usual bumps like chipset and slightly better camera and I'm probably in.

Just fix the screen. It's the one downfall.
What's so wrong with the screen? Just that it's 1080p?

Honestly, I use a OP3 now, and even coming from a phone with a much higher screen resolution (950XL) it isn't noticeable to me at all now.

Really, the only thing I wish it had was a more capable camera, but since I'm coming from a series of Lumias (1020 and 950XL) that will be the case with most phones.

Op4 will be like $500 lol.
Wasn't it already? The 3T starts at $599 I think (in Canada at least).

LeleSocho

Banned

Honestly, I use a OP3 now, and even coming from a phone with a much higher screen resolution (950XL) it isn't noticeable to me at all now.

The problem is not that it's 1080p... if it were for me these stupid races for resolution would have stopped there for phones and focused much earlier on accuracy and picture quality way before than when actually happened.
The problem with 1+3 is that it's a pentile screen, that means that stuff like real text resolution is lower than the iPhone's 750p screen.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Any big reason I shouldn't get a Galaxy A5 2017? Seems like a lot of bang for my buck without going to some dodgy Chinese brand.

I was going to get a OP3 a few months back but I heard some talk of the software being buggy and OP not being great with updates, then they dropped it for the 3T that costs £80 more.
A5 2017 is water resistant, 32gb + external, 3gb RAM. No notification LED won't bother me with the always on screen, and everything else is an upgrade from my Z3 Compact.

Saiyan-Rox

Just fix the screen along with the usual bumps like chipset and slightly better camera and I'm probably in.

Just fix the screen. It's the one downfall.

Screen looks great to me I don't see the issues :S

Remember the one plus X. I thought that was a slick fucking phone. Make an all metal version of that or something, and go bezeless like everyone else, premium specs, would get.

The OPX is really premuim it's a shame OP shit on it :(

Personally i'd be all over an updated OP2 I loved that phones design and feel.

LeleSocho

Banned
Any big reason I shouldn't get a Galaxy A5 2017? Seems like a lot of bang for my buck without going to some dodgy Chinese brand.

I was going to get a OP3 a few months back but I heard some talk of the software being buggy and OP not being great with updates, then they dropped it for the 3T that costs £80 more.
A5 2017 is water resistant, 32gb + external, 3gb RAM. No notification LED won't bother me with the always on screen, and everything else is an upgrade from my Z3 Compact.

The SoC is not in the same tier as the 2016 flagship but it's great enough to do everything well.
If i manage to find a nice price this is probably the phone that i will buy for family because aside the price it's really great.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

The problem is not that it's 1080p... if it were for me these stupid races for resolution would have stopped there for phones and focused much earlier on accuracy and picture quality way before than when actually happened.
The problem with 1+3 is that it's a pentile screen, that means that stuff like real text resolution is lower than the iPhone's 750p screen.

Screen looks great to me I don't see the issues :S

As LeleSocho said they just got a cheap old ass Samsung AMOLED straight out of like 2013 with a pentile matrix screen.

That's probably a cost cutting move.

To be fair the Axon 7 is also supposedly Pentile, BUT it's 1440p so it helps minimize the effect.

I don't mind if the screen is 1080p. Just don't let it be Pentile.

Here is an article so I don't have to write the math out.

Medium

On a PenTile display (like the one on the Galaxy S4), it is made of two and the missing subpixel in each individual pixel can be found in the adjacent pixel, which means on a standard 1080p RGB panel, there are 6220800 subpixels (2073600*3 = 6220800), but on a 1080p PenTile display, it’s 4147200. How

Rest of the math at the link.

Jeffrey

Personally still think the mate 9 is the phone to beat for me.

Insane battery. Top performance. Large screen. SD card support. Loud speakers. Headphone jack. Good camera. Rare Chinese phone that doesn't skim on cellular radio (get as good or better coverage and speeds than my iphone 6s).

It does everything that I care about well. Really the only annoyance atm is the typical limited lockscreen. Hope that's addressed someday.

JCX

Lmao welcome to the club. Go exchange it. There's no way around this hardware issue.

Haha yeah after further digging it looks like this is a known hardware issue with the 5X. Thankfully my Pixel XL arrives next week.

Using a prepaid LG phone in the meantime. I have been on pure android since Nexus 4 so I forgot how awful bloatware is.

ElNino

As LeleSocho said they just got a cheap old ass Samsung AMOLED straight out of like 2013 with a pentile matrix screen.

That's probably a cost cutting move.

To be fair the Axon 7 is also supposedly Pentile, BUT it's 1440p so it helps minimize the effect.

I don't mind if the screen is 1080p. Just don't let it be Pentile.
Okay, I was aware it was Pentile... but I don't have the same aversion to it as others. I've had several phones over the years that used it and never saw it as a big deal.

Admodieus

This year is probably the least excited I've been for Google I/O since Android launched. I just feel the overall direction of the platform is aimless and they refuse to learn the lessons that become apparent over the last few years - the lack of focus and cohesion around messaging, the half-baked attempts at releasing new products, and the generally uninspiring hardware. Really hoping they can find a way to wow me again as I really don't want to have to resort to a headphone jack-less iPhone in the future.

ElNino

Is there a new setting in Nougat which clears notifications after a (short) period of time automatically?

On my OP3, before it went to 7.0 I would get notifications (Textra, Weather Timeline, etc) and they would remain on the lock screen or in the notifications drawer until I cleared them. Now, it seems anything other than native Android/Google notifications are cleared automatically, so if I get a text that I don't notice it is cleared and unless I go into the app or if it has a missed notification counter from Nova then I would have no idea. The Weather Timeline notification option which I preferred is also useless now as it disappears well before the next (hourly) notification comes up.

I've looked through setting but I haven't found anything about it.

This year is probably the least excited I've been for Google I/O since Android launched. I just feel the overall direction of the platform is aimless and they refuse to learn the lessons that become apparent over the last few years - the lack of focus and cohesion around messaging, the half-baked attempts at releasing new products, and the generally uninspiring hardware. Really hoping they can find a way to wow me again as I really don't want to have to resort to a headphone jack-less iPhone in the future.
im hoping now that daydream flopped completely they can go back and focus on core android shit and focus on messaging. I fucking hate when they won't shut up about VR and shit.

ty_hot

Is there a new setting in Nougat which clears notifications after a (short) period of time automatically?

On my OP3, before it went to 7.0 I would get notifications (Textra, Weather Timeline, etc) and they would remain on the lock screen or in the notifications drawer until I cleared them. Now, it seems anything other than native Android/Google notifications are cleared automatically, so if I get a text that I don't notice it is cleared and unless I go into the app or if it has a missed notification counter from Nova then I would have no idea. The Weather Timeline notification option which I preferred is also useless now as it disappears well before the next (hourly) notification comes up.

I don't have such problem in OP3T. Notifications remain there until I manually remove them.

Check to see what apps have access to your notifications, maybe one of them is messing with them.

ElNino

I don't have such problem in OP3T. Notifications remain there until I manually remove them.
On 7.0? Not sure if OP3T came with that by default.

Everything was fine until I upgraded to Nougat, and then they stopped working. It's weird because I get notifications no problem and they show in the notification drawer after I get them, but it seems to clear them automatically after 15-30 minutes. Gmail and Googe Maps/traffic show up until I clear them, but others (Textra, WhatsApp, Weather Timeline, etc) do not.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;230080630 said:
Check to see what apps have access to your notifications, maybe one of them is messing with them.
I don't think I have anything special that would be doing that. Nova Launcher is the only other thing that might? Nothing changed on my side when I upgraded to Nougat, other than the notifications not working properly anymore.

Top Bottom