• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have iMessage and Photo Stream turned off on my iPhone. I don't want any lock in. Photo Stream is dumb in that it takes up cloud space, unlike Google Photos. Google Photos is amazing. Thankfully, it works on iOS. Just not as well. Doesn't sync automatically when you plug in the phone. You have to open the app.

I kept iMessage off because I don't want any lock in. But Allo is really annoying with their one device only limit. Hangouts is really the best choice for users who need the messenger everywhere.

Drifters

I have iMessage and Photo Stream turned off on my iPhone. I don't want any lock in. Photo Stream is dumb in that it takes up cloud space, unlike Google Photos. Google Photos is amazing. Thankfully, it works on iOS. Just not as well. Doesn't sync automatically when you plug in the phone. You have to open the app.

I kept iMessage off because I don't want any lock in. But Allo is really annoying with their one device only limit. Hangouts is really the best choice for users who need the messenger everywhere.

Allo is shit, Duo is ok and Hangouts is a poop filled diaper on a humid July day in New Orleans. Until Google gets it into their head that they build something across Google services and Windows, they might as well get rid of their messaging programs altogether.

agreed about google photos. I use it over photostream on mine too.

Also I was bored and just got around to seeing this. Good lawd samsung needs to step it up. Pixel too. 3T DESTROYED:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otwED6s3rCQ

It's a fact that it cheapens the product? Now you're just pulling shit out your ass. You say it's a fact and then go on to say it's how you feel. Please stop.
may your next phone be blessed with the greatest of logos. And yes I consider it objective that a logo plastered on the front is worse than no logo from a design perspective. Find me the person that prefers it. It would be baffling.

clav

Non-removable battery phone died. Can't pull the battery and see if it still powers on.

That ends my non-removable battery phone experiment. Next phone needs one.

Drifters

Non-removable battery phone died. Can't pull the battery and see if it still powers on.

You do know that most non-removable batteries have a hold it for 10 seconds to hard reset it right? Also, does it not take any charge?

agreed about google photos. I use it over photostream on mine too.

Also I was bored and just got around to seeing this. Good lawd samsung needs to step it up. Pixel too. 3T DESTROYED:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otwED6s3rCQ

may your next phone be blessed with the greatest of logos. And yes I consider it objective that a logo plastered on the front is worse than no logo from a design perspective. Find me the person that prefers it. It would be baffling.

Cool so you think it's objective then it must be.

Man do normal 5.5inch phones feel tiny now after using a mate 9 for a month.

How do people live with such small phones?
I like phones that dont poke out my pockets and make it awkward to sit and that I can't use with one hand with out some crappy one handed mode.

I think the biggest phone I ever owned and used regularly was the moto X play but that was pretty small for a 5.5 inch phone.

Jeffrey

Yeah don't think I've really one handed a phone since iPhone 5.

Although for browsing stuff I can one hand the mate 9 fine. Just balance the phone on my left pinky when holding it offers enough stability.

So few phones have that anymore that I just had to give up on that feature with my S7 Edge (which is still going strong, thankfully).

I'd love it if Samsung went back to removable batteries for the Note this year. It might even make sense for them to do it from a marketing standpoint to make people feel better about being able to take out the thing that exploded in the last phone. I wouldn't want to lose waterproofing, but I think there are phones that have done waterproofing AND removable batteries before, the LG V34 that only came out in Japan I think did that.

But I'm not giving up on SD cards until 128GB becomes the standard storage option for devices, and even that's less than I'd like. It's just unreasonably expensive to upgrade storage space on phones that don't have SD card support (for the most part).

clav

You do know that most non-removable batteries have a hold it for 10 seconds to hard reset it right? Also, does it not take any charge?

Tried multiple times with multiple combinations.

Plugged in a charger gives a red charging light. Risked it overnight.

Never turns green.

Unplugging phone turns off red light.

Jeffrey

oh man.

forgotten about android has google play lock screens.

Installed the microsoft one, so now my lockscreen is usable again.

Don't get why chinese companies completely lock down on what the lockscreen can do.

Jeffrey

I don't mind them. But I've not been convinced with what they offer that a normal display doesn't.

Doesn't seem to be worth the trade off of no good screen protector.

really can't decide if I should cancel my 1+3t order or not. Won't ship out till the 22nd but I have time to cancel.

Main reasons being that

1. Tempered glass for the 3/3t seems to be good only from oneplus and they are too damn expensive if I fuck up not to mention time to take to get here.

2. The camera seems iffy. Some reviews and photos I see seem to make it look great other times it looks like absolute trash.

3. Software support is the biggest thing for me. I'm pretty much done with apple, I'm tired of being locked into eco systems, proprietary cables and other non-sense. I don't even use Macs so any real benefit of it being "interconnected" is basically irrelevant to me.

But damn google doesn't even seem keen on keeping the Nexus/Pixel line in sync and their non-sense of "18 months" of support is borderline offensive. It's just enough time for 2 major OS releases then your dropped.

3. Moto Play looks like another option but I can't find a real review on the camera side of things.

Pixel XL seems like another option and I found a third party verizon carrier that has all the colors and sizes in stock but I cannot mentally drop 900 bucks for an android phone when the 3t exist.

No Love

Banned
really can't decide if I should cancel my 1+3t order or not. Won't ship out till the 22nd but I have time to cancel.

Main reasons being that

1. Tempered glass for the 3/3t seems to be good only from oneplus and they are too damn expensive if I fuck up not to mention time to take to get here.

2. The camera seems iffy. Some reviews and photos I see seem to make it look great other times it looks like absolute trash.

3. Software support is the biggest thing for me. I'm pretty much done with apple, I'm tired of being locked into eco systems, proprietary cables and other non-sense. I don't even use Macs so any real benefit of it being "interconnected" is basically irrelevant to me.

But damn google doesn't even seem keen on keeping the Nexus/Pixel line in sync and their non-sense of "18 months" of support is borderline offensive. It's just enough time for 2 major OS releases then your dropped.

3. Moto Play looks like another option but I can't find a real review on the camera side of things.

Pixel XL seems like another option and I found a third party verizon carrier that has all the colors and sizes in stock but I cannot mentally drop 900 bucks for an android phone when the 3t exist.

I think you should look at the Mate 9. Seems like a complete package and that battery life is very appealing.

I think cars are a good analogy for where phones are at right now. Their is really no difference between a Audi A4, BMW 3 series, and a Mercedes C class beyond small design details and their ability to effect peoples emotions (about quality, durability etc) through marketing. The only issue for phones are the physical design details are lost in cases.

we really pretending it doesn't say B M W on the hood?

Jeffrey

Main reasons being that

Moto z play camera is average. If you are fine with shelling out big cash why not see what s8 brings in a few weeks?

MWC in a week. What's everyone most excited for? I am looking forward to the Huawei P10 and its variants and surprisingly I really want info dropped from the Tab S3.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah don't think I've really one handed a phone since iPhone 5.

Even back with my first smartphone that was 4" I always just used two hands when I pulled it out. I fully admit though I'm not a person who needs one handed use very much. Like I don't ride public transit and need one hand to hold on.

*Shrugs*

ty_hot

Main reasons being that

I have a 3T and yes, the camera is not on par with the rest of the hardware. You can take good or at least decent shots, but other phones have much better cameras (we have a 6P at home that is considerably better).

As of software support, I think its a shame that they released the 7.0 update when there is the 7.1 already, this is unbeliveable for me. I was also having a hard time deciding wheather to buy or not the 3T, in the end I got it because I saw that it would have LineageOS support - if you dont mind using custom roms, you wil be fine with it.

The original 3T rom is smooth as hell, you wont be missing much comparing the features from 7.1, but I believe in a few months the custom roms will be running perfectly on it.

I dont use any screen protection, only a plastic case to protect the back/sides of the phone. I read that: 1- screen protectors only cover the center of the screen (the curved part is not protected), 2- the screen protector covers all the screnn, but then you cant use any case to protect the back/sides. I prefered to use a case than a screen protector.

RuGalz

Asus has a dialer in the Play Store. They're at least a reputable company so I wouldn't think they would do something unscrupulous with your contacts. If it was me I would at least give that a shot. I haven't done custom roms in years and don't think that's necessary any more.

Btw, it's simply broken. Asus dialer does the exact same thing so it's the underlying problem in their modifications to the OS especially it's not just Honor 8 having issues.

this_guy

Btw, it's simply broken. Asus dialer does the exact same thing so it's the underlying problem in their modifications to the OS especially it's not just Honor 8 having issues.

Good to know. I use Google Voice so that's definitely something I'd have to consider. I guess in the mean time you can download the Hangouts Dialer app and make calls using that. It's voip though so if you're in an area data is congested it could affect your calls.

RuGalz

Good to know. I use Google Voice so that's definitely something I'd have to consider. I guess in the mean time you can download the Hangouts Dialer app and make calls using that. It's voip though so if you're in an area data is congested it could affect your calls.

Na I reverted back to marshmallow again, it got updated accidentally this time... I need my hands free calling in car.

Talon

Fuck iMessage and it's garbage system. I hope people realize how shitty iOS has become over the years and that the pixel 2 has a cheaper entry price and wider carrier adoption. Really, if they want to tell Apple to fuck off, they have no excuse but to embrace the Pixel 2 at this point.
Did Apple touch you as a child?

Jeffrey

Man. After watching swappa for a week for pixel.

Just had a thought. Why not just get a OP3T?

Kinda weird going from op3 to mate 9 to op3t.

But im weird.

Also found a fatal flaw with the mate 9. Normal ass car adapter can't keep up with my mate 9 using Google maps.

Yeah... No thanks. Maybe get back to Huawei in a year once they get their US accessories in check.

Laekon

Also found a fatal flaw with the mate 9. Normal ass car adapter can't keep up with my mate 9 using Google maps.

Yeah... No thanks. Maybe get back to Huawei in a year once they get their US accessories in check.
I don't get what you are saying here. Is the battery still draining why it's on the charger?

Man. After watching swappa for a week for pixel.

Just had a thought. Why not just get a OP3T?

Kinda weird going from op3 to mate 9 to op3t.

But im weird.

only downside of 3T is that the 4 is probably 4-5 months away. But yeah it's a pretty good phone. Better than the pixel in some ways. Worse on others.

Jeffrey

I don't get what you are saying here. Is the battery still draining why it's on the charger?

i'm saying a normal 5v2A charger can't charge the phone quicker than its draining battery. Which is odd now that I think about it... wonder why the battery drain was this bad on the mate 9 with google maps... could have been another thing.

but yeah no way to get supercharge car charger in the US. I see some for $50 on ebay from china but... yeah im good.

only downside of 3T is that the 4 is probably 4-5 months away. But yeah it's a pretty good phone. Better than the pixel in some ways. Worse on others.

Man I moved from a moto x pure to a slightly bigger moto x pure to an axon 7 to a iphone 6s plus to a op3 to a mate 9 since july 2016.

also all signs kinda point to being some delays with sd835 with samsung hording them.

i'm saying a normal 5v2A charger can't charge the phone quicker than its draining battery. Which is odd now that I think about it... wonder why the battery drain was this bad on the mate 9 with google maps... could have been another thing.

but yeah no way to get supercharge car charger in the US. I see some for $50 on ebay from china but... yeah im good.

Man I moved from a moto x pure to a slightly bigger moto x pure to an axon 7 to a iphone 6s plus to a op3 to a mate 9 since july 2016.

also all signs kinda point to being some delays with sd835 with samsung hording them.

I'll buy your Mate 9 for 100 bucks.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Biggest thing about that comparison video is it shows even Google can't fix the fact that so many apps rely on doing better on higher clock speeds.

That seems like a no brainier, but it's back to the old issue that Android apps scale better on a higher clock speed vs more cores. Ramping up clock speeds means heat and battery issues though.

Even basically a decade or so later since the OG Core2Duo on PC becoming standard devs still have a hard time effectively using multiple cores vs higher clocks and single threaded apps.

Top Bottom