• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Jeffrey

If you were to pick the better phone, which would it be for 600-650 bucks? The U11 or the S8+? What is better for the money and what battery lasts longer?
U11 is a bit snappier but s8+ destroys in features and bigger and longer lasting battery. Also headphone jack.

U11 is a bit snappier but s8+ destroys in features and bigger and longer lasting battery. Also headphone jack.

seconding this

Thank you both. Just trying to help make a decision for a friend on Verizon. Basically his 6P is dying faster and faster. I told him to do the Pixel XL thing that someone did a few posts back but yeah, he'd rather have a new phone first before he even calls...

ana

Im thinking I should wait til the v30 now 😂😂

My G4 is on it's last legs.. I'm also waiting for V30.. mainly because it's dual camera implementation (wide and normal).. otherwise it also seems like pretty good phone.. still waiting for price and final reviews...

Aiii

So not worth it
I know ppl don't care about tablets but man would a minimum bezel one be dope shit.

Not unless Android finally gets the thumb recognition that iOS has. I am even moving icons around on my homescreen when I carry it around with the bezels they have now on the Tab S2, I can’t imagine the nightmare no bezels would be.

Jeffrey

Not unless Android finally gets the thumb recognition that iOS has. I am even moving icons around on my homescreen when I carry it around with the bezels they have now on the Tab S2, I can’t imagine the nightmare no bezels would be.

True. Heck I'm also ready for a iPad with minimum bezel Ala iPhone x.

My 10.5 iPad Pro that I bought is like my fave new thing in forever. Glad they made smaller bezels on it. iOS 11 shall complete that shit. Honestly if you're waiting I'd jump in on this one then upgrade again in 2-3 years when they're all OLED (at a reasonable price).

Also S8 > U11.

Aiii

So not worth it
My 10.5 iPad Pro that I bought is like my fave new thing in forever. Glad they made smaller bezels on it. iOS 11 shall complete that shit. Honestly if you're waiting I'd jump in on this one then upgrade again in 2-3 years when they're all OLED (at a reasonable price).

Also S8 > U11.

Yeah same, love using it, been running iOS 11 since day one. Good stuff, especially woth the Pencil. Loved tablets since the first one came out, but this one is above and beyond.

Yeah same, love using it, been running iOS 11 since day one. Good stuff, especially woth the Pencil. Loved tablets since the first one came out, but this one is above and beyond.

not to mention the 120hz true tone display. This is sounding like a commercial but it's really that damn good.

Also are you guys aware that after the Pixel 2s are announced and iPhone we go back into the most boring part of the year of no juicy rumours at least until jan/feb ish. Even then the S9 is likely to be the same as the Note 8, or close to it. So maybe even March/April for good rumours.

Jeffrey

Sad that no rumors of 120hz iphone screen this year.

Oh well.

Not really feeling the lost of headphone jack on pixel.

Was just on a plane. Forgot to bring my wired headphone jack and the Bluetooth headphones died. Had to awkwardly connect my headphones to the USB port on the seat lol.

Somehow maybe gonna stick with oneplus maybe until sd845 phones.

We still haven't seen some notable pixel XL 2 leaks yet besides android police renders. Hopefully soon?

not to mention the 120hz true tone display. This is sounding like a commercial but it's really that damn good.

Also are you guys aware that after the Pixel 2s are announced and iPhone we go back into the most boring part of the year of no juicy rumours at least until jan/feb ish. Even then the S9 is likely to be the same as the Note 8, or close to it. So maybe even March/April for good rumours.

Nah Mate 10. Unless it won't release in the US.

I'm not seeing what kind of rumors could be interesting anyway.

"Rumor: Latest flagship could have better specs than the predecessor"

"Rumor: new flagship could have a new gimmick"

"Rumor: new Sony phone might not launch with a fingerprint sensor in the US"

Amazing. I cannot wait to see how it all pans out.

NeOak

I'm not seeing what kind of rumors could be interesting anyway.

"Rumor: Latest flagship could have better specs than the predecessor"

"Rumor: new flagship could have a new gimmick"

"Rumor: new Sony phone might not launch with a fingerprint sensor in the US"

Amazing. I cannot wait to see how it all pans out.

Rumor: Surface Phone is running Ore...oh wait...

dcll

Banned
Does anyone here have the Z Play 2 or Zenfone 3 Zoom? I am curious as too how much less battery life the 2 gets since it has a smaller battery and I would like to get the Zoom and was wondering what impressions are like of it

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Mi Mix 2 bares all!

Xiaomi-Mi-MIX-2.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------

Also, Clove has the V30 up for pre-order in blue, if that's your thing: https://www.clove.co.uk/lg-v30

Ty4on

It's like they forgot about the front facing camera lol

I wouldn't mind Xiaomi making Android One versions of all their phones and adding Euro bands.

Don't really get why you would get a mi mix now when Samsung also went bezeless. They aren't really offering anything new and it's an ugly skin.

Ty4on

Looks like it's on the bottom
Should have phrases it better, but I meant it like they designed the phone and then realized it needed one and just put it where they could fit it. It's pretty easy to cover it up with your palm.
Don't really get why you would get a mi mix now when Samsung also went bezeless. They aren't really offering anything new and it's an ugly skin.
They make prettier phones IMO

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Should have phrases it better, but I meant it like they designed the phone and then realized it needed one and just put it where they could fit it. It's pretty easy to cover it up with your palm.

They make prettier phones IMO
Can't wait for the up your nose selfies

Nah some bezel on bottom help with usability.
Honestly, I'd rather have a tiny amount of bezel on both the top and bottom like LG and Samsung are doing, but if we're gonna move toward designs like the mi mix, I'd prefer to keep the camera and whatnot up top and not have any cutout.

Jeffrey

Honestly, I'd rather have a tiny amount of bezel on both the top and bottom like LG and Samsung are doing, but if we're gonna move toward designs like the mi mix, I'd prefer to keep the camera and whatnot up top and not have any cutout.
I'm not sure why but less bezel on top is more sexy than the bottom. Hmmm.

Piano

Banned
Did Google Play Services get some sort of massive memory eating update recently? I'm still rocking a Droid Turbo with 2GB of RAM and it works fine...

...except in the last few days it's suddenly running out of RAM constantly. Any app I switch out of has to be refreshed / restarted each time I open it again. The home screen has to repopulate nearly every time I go back to it. Chrome crashes when I open up an intensive webpage (with just one tab open), the keyboard disappears and has to reload as I'm using it, and the entire UI has crashed twice, necessitating a reboot.

I've uninstalled a load of apps and it hasn't made it any better. The only new app I've loaded this week is a local emergency messaging app, which I'll uninstall once the hurricane passes, but it would surprise me if that's it.

When I go to the running processes screen it shows that all RAM is in use, but no listed program seems to be using much - the vast majority is just "System." Meanwhile I can see the apps constantly closing and restarting.

Anyone have a clue what's going on? I'm going to get a new phone soon but want to wait for the new Pixel.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'll wait until the iPhone event, but it's looking pretty likely I'll take Samsung up on their note 8 offer. Less than 6 hondos plus 360 cam is hard to beat. I already got a memory card and wireless charger.

I was really ready to pay full price for the Note 8 and then they were like 'wait a minute, hold that $425 and call us even'

Cut the check.

This flagship mobile handset is gorgeous.

keuja

The mi mix 2 design is beautiful... I don't know how practical it is with the speaker sound going through the screen or the front camera at the bottom but the design sure is eye catching.

Edit: no water protection, wireless charging, or 3.5 mm jack though.

Qvoth

Well I'm still using oneplus one and after googling it says the battery is 3100mah, so this is an upgrade in all ways for me :3

Definitely getting it the next time I visit hongkong

I've just sat down and realized that I haven't used normal headphones in about 2 years? I've been using bt speakers, headsetot headphones. Funny I never noticed it until now

With that said, instill understand why people want a headphone jack.

When am I gonna get to see the pixel 2 XL? October 5 is too far away. I don't want to use this galaxy s8 anymore. I want Android 8.1. I mean it has to launch with 8.1

reKon

Banned
I've just sat down and realized that I haven't used normal headphones in about 2 years? I've been using bt speakers, headsetot headphones. Funny I never noticed it until now

With that said, instill understand why people want a headphone jack.

When am I gonna get to see the pixel 2 XL? October 5 is too far away. I don't want to use this galaxy s8 anymore. I want Android 8.1. I mean it has to launch with 8.1

What's the must have feature in Android Oreo that had you wanting it immediately?

reKon

Banned
I've been using pure Android for the past 5-6 years. I just enjoy it more than TouchWiz. It's a personal thing

I set up my homescreen to use Nova Launcher which is where I spend most of my time on the phone (I use the Exynos powered S7 Edge). It's setup like the Pixel launcher so that's half of the experience except it's enhanced with things like a swipeable dock. I applied a material theme from the theme store (it was free) to make the Samsung skin appear more material like.

Touchwiz has useful feature not yet put into stock Android. I've found the one handed mode useful when I'm taking public transit in the city. The only thing that sucks is that Samsung runs too many services that people don't need, which is why the extra ram on the Note 8 seems to make a noticeable impact on multitasking.

Top Bottom