• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Jeffrey

Ehhh x4 is Android one but still 'oreo before end of the year'. So it's just a moto phone without the neat gestures and maybe better release update schedule?

But is it Nexus / Pixel good? I swear Google does some amazing things on their cameras.

I should have mentioned no bezels either :)

Go get a pixel. Think you can get one new for less than 500 these days.

m10l.jpg

https://venturebeat.com/2017/09/20/this-is-the-189-quad-camera-huawei-mate-10-lite/
Looks more iphoney than before. Felt like mate 9 looked better.

http://www.gsmarena.com/moto_x4_and..._official_for_fi_priced_at_399-news-27378.php

Price is $100 too high, but you know that Google update tax looks like its a thing now.

Looking at the dimensions, why are only a few companies understanding the value in it being easier to hold a phone? Not that this one is big, but people's hands didn't grow bigger via evolution within the past few years.

The goal should be to get that screen within smaller dimensions. There use to be more phones where this was acceptable. The Moto X4 is too tall of a phone for wide for its screen size. It's 5 mm wider than an S8.
preachhhh

I love my pixel 😻

2nd. I feared coming back from using an iPhone that I would have to deal with Androids shitty battery issue but I'm so glad I don't have to dread this. I love mine and even though I don't need 2, I feel more compelled to buy it just because I love this phone ❤️

Also leaked beyond Daydream 2.0 is Google's Version of the Echo Do.

Droid Life says it's just gonna be called the Google Home Mini. They have a link to the store page, but nothing comes up. I assume it randomly went live early and Google pulled it.

$50 btw

Google really missed out by not having this out sooner.

As nice as it would be to have Google search (the Echo Dot's search stuff is pretty limited), I've already bought into the original Echo and two Echo Dots and they're a little more advanced in certain functionality (like compatibility with Harmony remotes).

I also like the puck style of the device better than Google's, but it looks like Google's might have a better quality speaker, but I'll need impressions before finding out for sure.

This htc deal doesn't make sense. Google doesn't get exclusive use of their ip, HTC will still be their own company making their own phones as well, and Google doesn't get access to their manufacturing factories. Apparently they get some of the phone department employees and to use the ips, but not exclusively? Seems like a dumb deal all the way around.

How many employees are worth a billion?

Maybe I should work in Taiwan.

Google pays 1 billion for the team that designed the fucking pixel. An iphone clone with an ugly 2 tone back. Not just hiring the employees directly, but paying htc 1 billion for employees that can quit at any time. This seems like a sweet heart deal designed to make htc some money and keep them in business.

axb2013

I've sat down and took a closer look at my plan usage and just parted ways with T-Mobile, after more than a decade. I'm going to project fi. To get around the nexus phone only catch, I bought the cheapest shattered phone yet just functional enough to be barely capable of activating the SIM, I'll save the cost of it over 2 billing cycles and then some. The downside of using a non fi phone is that I lose out on the Sprint and wifi hotspot coverage but I'm technically staying on the same T-Mobile network while paying ~$25 less each billing cycle. I've consistently pulled less than a GB/month via LTE this year. In my usage scenario, my grandfathered T-Mo plan came nowhere close, not even cheapest straight talk plans can compete. And should Google figure out how to make phones great again, I'll have the option of utilizing all of fi benefits.

Quasar

Google really missed out by not having this out sooner.

As nice as it would be to have Google search (the Echo Dot's search stuff is pretty limited), I've already bought into the original Echo and two Echo Dots and they're a little more advanced in certain functionality (like compatibility with Harmony remotes).

I also like the puck style of the device better than Google's, but it looks like Google's might have a better quality speaker, but I'll need impressions before finding out for sure.

Well I’m curious. Never had any in anything Amazon and had been waiting around for third party assistant speakers with better speakers so if minis have outputs like the chrome cast audio I’ll grab a couple.

VoxPop

Google is amazing for throwing money around to keep these crappy companies like HTC and Motorola afloat. Wish they would've done the same for Blackberry/RIM.

emag

Google pays 1 billion for the team that designed the fucking pixel. An iphone clone with an ugly 2 tone back. Not just hiring the employees directly, but paying htc 1 billion for employees that can quit at any time. This seems like a sweet heart deal designed to make htc some money and keep them in business.

I don't know why Google would be paying HTC to "allow" Google to hire people anyway. Does Taiwan have some sort of codified non-complete laws that this gets around? And there's no way that non-exclusive usage rights for HTC patents are worth anywhere near that much.

You're right. This smacks of Google just trying to keep HTC afloat.

So, my headphone jack on my oneplus one is busted.

Need a new phone and i´m deciding between the GalaxyS8 and the Oneplus 5. Price difference would be about 80€.

What should i do.

So, my headphone jack on my oneplus one is busted.

Need a new phone and i´m deciding between the GalaxyS8 and the Oneplus 5. Price difference would be about 80€.

What should i do.

screen, wireless charging, better camera overall, water resistant

better battery life, more ram, dual camera setup, even faster charging

pick your poison

*pours one out for my homie*

or just get wireless headphones and keep your current phone.

Reckoner

big bezels and and still 720p in 2017. Apple has no shame. Most of the reviews gave Apple a pass too. Except WSJ scathing suggestions which actually recommeded OnePlus 5 instead lol

I completely agree that Apple could do better about that, even more so considering the price they ask for their devices.

But come on... It's not really that big of a deal. It has good pixel density and the screens have good IQ. It's still one of the best experiences you get out of a phone. If you have something to complain and that really messes things up, that would be the battery. It's garbage.

And recommending the One Plus 5 while complaining about the iPhone screen. Like, really?

Blackhead

Redarse
I completely agree that Apple could do better about that, even more so considering the price they ask for their devices.

But come on... It's not really that big of a deal. It has good pixel density and the screens have good IQ. It's still one of the best experiences you get out of a phone. If you have something to complain and that really messes things up, that would be the battery. It's garbage.
Yes it is that big of a deal. Even when the iPhone 6 launched, the Galaxy S5 at the time had a 1080p screen. 4 years later it's completely wtf. And I can complain about both the screen and battery thank you very much.
And recommending the One Plus 5 while complaining about the iPhone screen. Like, really?
Yes, really. You think they're implying that One Plus is a premium screen. Instead they're implying that iPhone 8 has dropped to the level of midrange devices at much cheaper prices.

OP5 got dash charging and snappiest performance out there.

S8 got everything else.

screen, wireless charging, better camera overall, water resistant

better battery life, more ram, dual camera setup, even faster charging

pick your poison

*pours one out for my homie*

Thanks. Will decide tomorrow. Still need to wait for my money to be deposited on my debit credit card.

or just get wireless headphones and keep your current phone.

NO!

reKon

Banned
Sometime I forget how great Nova launcher is. This is really the best app I've spent money on. Made some changes to the wipe gestures and I feel like everything is perfect again. Already have my Pixel laucher set up under Nova, but changed up some of the gestures.

Swipe down > Toggles notifications bar

Swipe up > Brings up recent apps

Double tap > Pulls up Google Assistant

The swipe up one is nice especially because the recent apps button is to the bottom left the phone so this is more convenient.

I also have an enhanced dock. I made it swipable so I can access 15+ of my most used apps. I set it up so that if I swipe up on certain icons, it will open another app. For example I set it up so that swiping up on the Google Music icon opens up whatever other music app I have a cheap subscription for. Or swiping up on the Google Maps icon opens up the Chicago transit app.

I don't think there's anything I can do to make this set up better right now other than playing around with that sesame shortcuts add on. Don't think I need that for anything yet.

Nova continues to be the main reason I don't care about stock Android as much.

Reckoner

Yes it is that big of a deal. Even when the iPhone 6 launched, the Galaxy S5 at the time had a 1080p screen. 4 years later it's completely wtf. And I can complain about both the screen and battery thank you very much.

Yes, really. You think they're implying that One Plus is a premium screen. Instead they're implying that iPhone 8 has dropped to the level of midrange devices at much cheaper prices.

If the battery life is the way it is, just imagine how it would be with a 1080p display that would provide a negligible difference to IQ. Honestly, I think 720p is perfectly fine on a screen of this size, as long as it compensates with accurate and vibrant colors, which is something Apple always does.

Also, IIRC, the OLED display on the S5 at that time was too saturated and had sub par brightness levels, which were common negative points of its tech.

Ofc you can complain about both things. I personally value an overall experience more than screen resolution on a display that small.

Ty4on

Wait, iPhone 8 has a 720p screen? I assumed Apple moved passed that years ago. 0_o

Of course it isn't. It's 1334x750 :p

I don't have any issues with it. At least they look like regular pixels instead of whatever pentile pixels are supposed to represent. The scaling probably means they can't just make it 1080p and have to double it to something silly like 1500p. I think iOS 11 animation already lags on the Plus models.

reKon

Banned

I don't have any issues with it. At least they look like regular pixels instead of whatever pentile pixels are supposed to represent. The scaling probably means they can't just make it 1080p and have to double it to something silly like 1500p. I think iOS 11 animation already lags on the Plus models.

I don't get this. Why would something like this lag on old hardware that's still considered to be fast (if you do the whole benchmark comparison thing).

There low spec'd Android phones that run Nougat fine and they only have 2 GB of RAM. Is iOS 11 not well optimized? Or is the issue that the software hasn't been finalized?

emag

The Plus models, from the 6 to the 8, all have 1080p screens. The internal resolution is actually higher (3x: 1242p) and downsampled for display.

(The X is natively higher than 1080p, of course.)

There low spec'd Android phones that run Nougat fine and they only have 2 GB of RAM. Is iOS 11 not well optimized? Or is the issue that the software hasn't been finalized?

1. Those low spec phones don't run Nougat "fine" by iPhone users' standards. Not even high end Android phones are smooth by iPhone standards.
2. iOS 11 is a bit rough, particularly while it performs housekeeping after installation.

Ty4on

I don't get this. Why would something like this lag on old hardware that's still considered to be fast (if you do the whole benchmark comparison thing).

iOS is much graphics intensive. They don't have to optimize for lower end devices because there really aren't any. As for why they wanted to use so much GPU horsepower for animations your guess is as good as mine.
The Plus models, from the 6 to the 8, all have 1080p screens. The internal resolution is actually higher (3x: 1242p) and downsampled for display.

(The X is natively higher than 1080p, of course.)
I don't think that'd work for the regular model as the screen size is different.

NeOak

Received my Jelly Pro. Tempted to give it a try while I'm home.

Can't use it at work due to no wifi calling :(

longdi

Banned
How safe is android fingerprint security?

Because my phone just died, and if i send in for warranty, can they transplant the flash and look into my secrets and smut? I have it on fingerprint security before it died.

NeOak

How safe is android fingerprint security?

Because my phone just died, and if i send in for warranty, can they transplant the flash and look into my secrets and smut? I have it on fingerprint security before it died.
Why do you put your fingerprint on a phone that sends data to Google?

I'm sure they have a digital copy in their servers.

I'm kidding btw

Top Bottom