• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Jeffrey

I really can't be bothered to care about android these days as you can all tell by my severe lack of posting here but figured people might want to know I heard pixel/XL release dates will be separated by like 10 or so days. Not sure if that's worldwide or what. Also no more 32gb. Also for the XL the white version will be panda style. Announcement should be first week of oct, prob oct 4. Launch date prob the same as last year give or take a day. Probably take. For the small one at least.

Anyway....meh. Nothing outrageous or unexpected you guys probably knew all that already. Carry on.

Also the Note 8 price is going to shock people that's all I'm gonna say. I don't remember what the Note 7 debuted at but when I saw the Note 8 price I gasped. I thought iPhone Pro was gonna be craycray expensive. Samsung getting in on it too.

Protip wait for note 8 on after market for half price in a few months.

IPhone 8 wait for used as well to save a few bucks and tax. Good thing about Apple stuff is warranty is ties to device, not original purchaser.

Pixel XL best get new,if supplies are anything like that first gen which was selling over MSRP used for like half a year.

Protip wait for note 8 on after market for half price in a few months.

IPhone 8 wait for used as well to save a few bucks and tax. Good thing about Apple stuff is warranty is ties to device, not original purchaser.

Pixel XL best get new,if supplies are anything like that first gen which was selling over MSRP used for like half a year.

128gb XL gonna be just like last year aka impossible to get, guarantee it.

iPhones retain too much value, I feel like getting a used pro will save you like 50 bucks maybe lol.

Jeffrey

128gb XL gonna be just like last year aka impossible to get, guarantee it.

iPhones retain too much value, I feel like getting a used pro will save you like 50 bucks maybe lol.
+ the sales tax which would be like a $100+ total.

Also tbh first gen iPhone stuff always has little annoyances like the 6 plus had too little ram for smooth operation and touch responsiveness is lost over time due to bending etc.

So maybe best wait for 2018 pro s lol.

Hope ios 11 makes file transfer easier. Was trying to copy media to grandma's iPad and forgotten how much of a hassle it is through a computer. Syncing with iTunes still is confusing as fuck.

I really can't be bothered to care about android these days as you can all tell by my severe lack of posting here but figured people might want to know I heard pixel/XL release dates will be separated by like 10 or so days. Not sure if that's worldwide or what. Also no more 32gb. Also for the XL the white version will be panda style. Announcement should be first week of oct, prob oct 4. Launch date prob the same as last year give or take a day. Probably take. For the small one at least.

Anyway....meh. Nothing outrageous or unexpected you guys probably knew all that already. Carry on.

Also the Note 8 price is going to shock people that's all I'm gonna say. I don't remember what the Note 7 debuted at but when I saw the Note 8 price I gasped. I thought iPhone Pro was gonna be craycray expensive. Samsung getting in on it too.

Note 7 was $850 US Dollars

so where's the 8?

$950?

$1050?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Note 8 is definitely gonna be $1050+ USD. I really don't see why it wouldn't be, since the S8+ was nearly $900 out the gate.

Knowing that, the essential and v30 being $700 and the Pixel XL2 *probably* being ~$850 gives you an idea of how fall is looking for Android.

Oh and the Mate 10 being a solid $1000. Jeez

Android Flagship sales have already been pretty awful with the exception of Samsung's dominance. It is baffling why manufacturers would think charging more is a good idea. I mean, I get that the bezel-less phones no doubt cost more to manufacture, but just take the hit on your margins and hope for the best. The Essential Phone is going to look like a pretty good deal at $700, but really the crazy low S8 prices alongside the LG G6 is really what shines. If I was buying a phone this year I would have probably snagged one that $450 G6 from Amazon earlier in the year.

Jintor

so what's the best wifi file manager? i had a gander at pushbullet and airdroid, their free transfer limits are pretty crazy and i'm not into subscription services... but i'll take it if their service is good i guess?

i'm gonna use 3d touch on the Note 8's invisible home button
I don't get what they added to make the price so high but what I saw must have been final. But again maybe they're just fucking my country with the conversion but I don't know!
they added nothing.

no competition on penabled phones.

almost everyone at my job that doesn't have an iPhone is waiting for the Note 8.

bunch of Note 4s and Note 5s.

Husker86

Has anyone seen a screenshot/video of the Essential phone running a fullscreen app (game would probably be the easiest example)?

I really want to know what happens with the status bar area.

Jeffrey

Sell me on a pen. Like what can you do with it better and or quicker?

Has anyone seen a screenshot/video of the Essential phone running a fullscreen app (game would probably be the easiest example)?

Many of the previews videos have it. Games are 16:9 so just the space around the camera is black so it looks like normal bezel phone.

https://youtu.be/_3JZRxVPuew

Around the 4 min mark.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

It turns black. Android Central's video is a good example

i'm gonna use 3d touch on the Note 8's invisible home button
they added nothing.

no competition on penabled phones.

almost everyone at my job that doesn't have an iPhone is waiting for the Note 8.

bunch of Note 4s and Note 5s.
It's the same at my work. Seems like everyone has an iPhone or a note with some pixel nerds here and there.

I think people will be surprised at the pixel XL price this year. I haven't seen that one at all but I expect a jump too.

Husker86

Sell me on a pen. Like what can you do with it better and or quicker?

Many of the previews videos have it. Games are 16:9 so just the space around the camera is black so it looks like normal bezel phone.

https://youtu.be/_3JZRxVPuew

Around the 4 min mark.

It turns black. Android Central's video is a good example

Thanks.

That's kinda sad. I mean, if it weren't that way, I'd complain about the cutout chopping off portions of the app, but this way it's just like...now my screen isn't really that big.

Wonder what a developer has to do to use that space.

Jeffrey

Thanks.

That's kinda sad. I mean, if it weren't that way, I'd complain about the cutout chopping off portions of the app, but this way it's just like...now my screen isn't really that big.

Wonder what a developer has to do to use that space.

honestly, outta all the 'full screen' displays out there, essential's is the most cosmetic. Pretty much all apps will just put the notification stuff around there, so i can't imagine the phone being too different than any other 16:9 phone in daily use in terms of vertical space.

its not like devs are doing any extra work for s8 or lg either though. 16:9 is still the standard for most android phones and iphone, so don't expect a ton of content that optimizes for this stuff.

Android Flagship sales have already been pretty awful with the exception of Samsung's dominance. It is baffling why manufacturers would think charging more is a good idea. I mean, I get that the bezel-less phones no doubt cost more to manufacture, but just take the hit on your margins and hope for the best. The Essential Phone is going to look like a pretty good deal at $700, but really the crazy low S8 prices alongside the LG G6 is really what shines. If I was buying a phone this year I would have probably snagged one that $450 G6 from Amazon earlier in the year.

I don't hate myself enough to buy LG.

Samsung has the dominance of the Android flagship space because they literally make the only Android flagships which are actually really flagships. This is the reality of Android today.

I don't really know if I'll wait a few months to get my NOTE 8 THE OCHO. If they are going to include the Gear VR again for free right at launch I might just jump in and eat whatever the fuck they'll charge for it. I don't care, I've been on my Note 4 forever and I'm ready for goddamned upgrade at this point.

Husker86

honestly, outta all the 'full screen' displays out there, essential's is the most cosmetic. Pretty much all apps will just put the notification stuff around there, so i can't imagine the phone being too different than any other 16:9 phone in daily use in terms of vertical space.

its not like devs are doing any extra work for s8 or lg either though. 16:9 is still the standard for most android phones and iphone, so don't expect a ton of content that optimizes for this stuff.

Well, for the S8, and other taller aspect ratio screens, devs don't have to do anything to use the full space. Developers have to explicitly disable auto-resizing beyond 16:9 (or it's an app that hasn't targeted Android N, in which case 16:9 is the default).

But yeah, I'm sure it would be something that becomes unnoticeable the longer I used the phone. Still probably going to skip it, but the next 2 months are gonna be a hard wait.

Qvoth

my sister is looking at a new replacement phone, and has it got down to these 3
sony xperia xz, lg g6, oneplus 5
which of these has the best camera overall?

Jeffrey

my sister is looking at a new replacement phone, and has it got down to these 3
sony xperia xz, lg g6, oneplus 5
which of these has the best camera overall?
They all do things kinda differently. Best just tell her to look at reviews to see what she wants.

LeleSocho

Banned
where are your receipts?

Actually you are right in doubting me, because of Sony's genius (aka freaking terrible) marketing philosophy of having confusing nomenclature for their products i confused the XZ with the XZs which has a clearly better sensor than the others and neat functionalities like a super slowmo.

With this out of the way the toss up now is between the Sony and the OnePlus on the camera department but since OnePlus is a super shady company and the OP5 isn't the hottest phone they've made i still recommend the Sony one that aside being a known reliable brand they support their smartphone very well and very quickly.

Jeffrey

Actually you are right in doubting me, because of Sony's genius (aka freaking terrible) marketing philosophy of having confusing nomenclature for their products i confused the XZ with the XZs which has a clearly better sensor than the others and neat functionalities like a super slowmo.

With this out of the way the toss up now is between the Sony and the OnePlus on the camera department but since OnePlus is a super shady company and the OP5 isn't the hottest phone they've made i still recommend the Sony one that aside being a known reliable brand it supports their smartphone very well and very fast.

Agree.

Still Sony will cost at least $200 more and the whole flashing fingerprint sensor for us version is a needless hassle.

It's also got way bigger bezels and weigh more for the same screen size.

Wish Sony would just get their shit together.

OmegaSkittle

Neo Member
Well it looks like my HTC One M8 that I got on launch is dying. The phone turns itself off at ~28% battery when idle and usually turns off at ~35% if I am actively using it. This leads to the battery life lasting about 8-10 hours a day with minimal use.

Also, loading up apps (like Twitter) takes varying times between 5 seconds all the way up to 1 minute, seemingly randomly.

Loved the phone for the most part. Size is a tad bigger than what I'd like in my next phone, which brings me to my question.

Should I wait for the upcoming flagships or should I grab something out now?

On Verizon and have a smaller budget. Max I could do would be ~$20/mo phone.

Thoughts?

Well it looks like my HTC One M8 that I got on launch is dying. The phone turns itself off at ~28% battery when idle and usually turns off at ~35% if I am actively using it. This leads to the battery life lasting about 8-10 hours a day with minimal use.

Also, loading up apps (like Twitter) takes varying times between 5 seconds all the way up to 1 minute, seemingly randomly.

Loved the phone for the most part. Size is a tad bigger than what I'd like in my next phone, which brings me to my question.

Thoughts?

Z2 Play?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Thoughts?

Moto G4 Plus

Jeffrey

Them Essentials still haven't shipped, eh
Reddit says preorder folks shipping possibly tomorrow.

Shame I can't cancel my order... Feel like with oreo out now, getting a nougat phone feels... Not exciting. Oreo doesn't even do anything substantial besides preventing LG pixel 2 xl from bootlooping.

ArchAngel

Google finally fixed double-tap to wake with 8. That feature was shit on the Pixels on Android 7 and the O beta. Finally I can use it!

ZOONAMI

I don't hate myself enough to buy LG.

Samsung has the dominance of the Android flagship space because they literally make the only Android flagships which are actually really flagships. This is the reality of Android today.

I don't really know if I'll wait a few months to get my NOTE 8 THE OCHO. If they are going to include the Gear VR again for free right at launch I might just jump in and eat whatever the fuck they'll charge for it. I don't care, I've been on my Note 4 forever and I'm ready for goddamned upgrade at this point.

Your loss. The G6 is legitimately the best phone I've ever had, came from Note7 and 7 plus prior.

Quixzlizx

A few quick notes about my Samsung S8+, which I actually only started using around a week ago because I was waiting for my trade-in to be accepted before I ported my number (although I finally got fed up and did it early):

1. I finally got the e-mail accepting my trade-in TODAY, when I bought the phone at the end of June lmao

2. I am surprised at all the people who say this phone is slippery. It has the perfect heft and fits perfectly in my hand, and I can't imagine ever dropping it outside of a massive fuckup on my part. A brand new Nexus 4 is like a wet bar of soap compared to this thing.

3. The battery is great so far. I'm a light user, but I've consistently been at 80%+ at the end of the day

4. The fingerprint sensor is so garbage I gave up after a day, since it's easier just to enter my PIN. It's my first phone with a sensor, so maybe I'm just not doing it right. I've already tried erasing my fingerprints and rerecording.

5. The only jank I've noticed so far is when I was browsing through the themes in the Galaxy Apps store. Maybe I should just never use a OP phone so I don't notice that Samsung is an eighth of a second slower.

6. Samsung browser and Samsung Pay are definite value adds. Any other built-in Samsung apps that aren't bloatware?

7. The Bixby button is in a really annoying spot on the phone. I wish I could just disable the button.

8. The vibration motor is really strong. There is no way I'll ever sleep through my alarm with the way the phone rattles on my night table.

9. Nougat notifications are sogood.gif

Damon

I really can't be bothered to care about android these days .

This is how I feel, left for the iPhone 7 last year after having the HTC 10 for a few months, which I did actually like.

But reading about Android theres absolutely nothing that tempts me, the S8 is nice and all but still nah.
Pixel might have interested me, but the smaller ones leaks so far big fat LOL.

Dont really miss Android that much if im honest.

Looks like the iPhone 8/X for me potentially,
Definitely staying iOS for the forseeable future.

Top Bottom