• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

GS3 was even worse. I was so happy to dump it for a Nexus 4. Didn't even care that the Nexus 4 didn't have LTE. The S3 was that bad. It was height of shit tier Samsung design on all fronts. Nasty, glossy plastic look. Hideous TouchWiz with bloop sounds and water drops.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GS3 was responsible for turning millions of people onto the iPhone.

And I here I am still using an S4 as my main phone. Use a 2014 Moto x as well, but the phone is constantly reporting the wrong battery percentage so it has to stay on the charger most of the time. Was using a G3 running a Nougat ROM (and running it well at that) as my main, but the phone died, so back to my S4 I went.

Ty4on

GS3 was even worse. I was so happy to dump it for a Nexus 4. Didn't even care that the Nexus 4 didn't have LTE. The S3 was that bad. It was height of shit tier Samsung design on all fronts. Nasty, glossy plastic look. Hideous TouchWiz with bloop sounds and water drops.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GS3 was responsible for turning millions of people onto the iPhone.

And that screen. First time I saw one close up I couldn't believe how obvious the subpixels where. It looked like a tiny PixelFlex.

I know I shit a lot on AMOLEDs, but that was something else. Modern displays are fine, my biggest issue is they IMO don't look better than LCDs and possible burn in.

And I here I am still using an S4 as my main phone. Use a 2014 Moto x as well, but the phone is constantly reporting the wrong battery percentage so it has to stay on the charger most of the time. Was using a G3 running a Nougat ROM (and running it well at that) as my main, but the phone died, so back to my S4 I went.
...Why?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Powerbeats 3 are now down to $130 on Amazon depending upon color.

I like these better than the Jaybird X3s for the same price as you don't have that stupid charging dongle the X3s have. Plus I think the over the ear clips make them stay in better.

X3s were better when the Beats were overpriced at $200. For the same price I'd just get the Beats.

Oh and they both are Sweat proof, but the beats are supposed to be fully waterproof.

IronRaven

Powerbeats 3 are now down to $130 on Amazon depending upon color.

I like these better than the Jaybird X3s for the same price as you don't have that stupid charging dongle the X3s have. Plus I think the over the ear clips make them stay in better.

X3s were better when the Beats were overpriced at $200. For the same price I'd just get the Beats.

Oh and they both are Sweat proof, but the beats are supposed to be fully waterproof.

Are they base heavy like their regular headphones are?

Jeffrey

I'm not saying it's perfect, but man if you guys think the S8 is touchwiz lag idk wtf you thought of phones like the GS4.
I can't think that behind.

Just saying it's lag city vs the last few phones I owned.

Axon7 op3 mate 9 pixel.

It's generally fine at 1080p, but definitely freaks out if you try to do stuff quickly.

Also terrible memory management.

IronRaven

Axon7 op3 mate 9 pixel.

It's generally fine at 1080p, but definitely freaks out if you try to do stuff quickly.

Is it super aggressive about killing apps?

Jeffrey

Is it super aggressive about killing apps?

yep. maybe keep 2-3 apps at most. Its the main reason galaxy phones get recked in 'speed tests' lol.

The trade off is great battery life for their battery sizes, but with how much you can customize with these phones, i do wish you could sacrifice some battery for better multittasking.

Gimme an actual 'high performance' mode.

Axon7 op3 mate 9 pixel.

I'm gonna sell my 2 s8s on the BOGO to finance a free OnePlus 5 for me. Camera and screen are nice but it's a pain in the ass to keep stretching YouTube videos out so I don't have to see bars. Watching YouTube is one of the main things I do on my phone.

IronRaven

I'm gonna sell my 2 s8s on the BOGO to finance a free OnePlus 5 for me. Camera and screen are nice but it's a pain in the ass to keep stretching YouTube videos out so I don't have to see bars. Watching YouTube is one of the main things I do on my phone.

No physical bezels, but it's got virtual ones.

Jeffrey

Yep at some point the lack of bezels isn't really a big deal. Phone is slippery so you slap a case on, and most videos are 16:9 so black bars.

Also what selling 2 s8 for op5? Are you selling them for $200?

*bloop* *bloop*

Yep at some point the lack of bezels isn't really a big deal. Phone is slippery so you slap a case on, and most videos are 16:9 so black bars.

Nah 1600 after tax-750 from Samsung = 850. Sale each for 650 and that gives me $450 for OnePlus 5:)

Jeffrey

my memory of android in the past is hazy. Felt like it was HTC running the place for the longest time. motorola brought the budget phone game. and samsung changed everything with their 'phablet'.

my memory of android in the past is hazy. Felt like it was HTC running the place for the longest time. motorola brought the budget phone game. and samsung changed everything with their 'phablet'.
And just like the current times nobody knows or cares where LG fits in the picture.

it was HTC busting out after being the secret OEM of many many many Windows Mobile devices, then DROID, then Samsung released the 4 Galaxy S variants on the 4 major carriers including the GOAT sliding Qwerty device the Epic 4G. and IIRC, the Apple vs Samsung lawsuit revealed that Samsung's best selling phones at the time were the Epic 4G and the budget Galaxy Prevail. too bad about the HWKB costing so much to add... then they had the GS2 variants andthen they did something no other Android OEM had at the time... release the Galaxy S3 largely unchanged among carriers. and after that it was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzP_NF06vpg

Vanillalite

I tried to say that shit prerelease and y'all acted like I was fucking off my rocker.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I tried to say that shit prerelease and y'all acted like I was fucking off my rocker.
For us who usually browse or read email instead of video watching, narrower is better. Just like how I hated the move of desktop monitors moved to 16:9. That said, I'm trying to buy a 21:9 monitor now haha

Vanillalite

For us who usually browse or read email instead of video watching, narrower is better. Just like how I hated the move of desktop monitors moved to 16:9. That said, I'm trying to buy a 21:9 monitor now haha

Honestly the black bars don't really bother me when I do watch YT, and the extra vert is nice for Chrome.

Phone is slippery as shit doe.

I'd never use the screen fill feature if I had an S8 for anything other than games and non-video apps. I want to see all of the video, not just a cropped portion of it, and the black bars don't bother me anyway.

Groof

!!!

I think he means the theater mode view for Youtube that has those black bars that go next to the video.
no i mean on an s8 youtube has black bars on the sides because the videos are 16:9 and the screen isn't. like, it's the same aspect ratio as youtube's been for years so the viewing experience isn't any difference, yet some people complain about there being black bars.

Jeffrey

Luckily the borders of s8 is black and amoled = you don't really think about it. Not a huge deal for better or worse.

IronRaven

!!!

no i mean on an s8 youtube has black bars on the sides because the videos are 16:9 and the screen isn't. like, it's the same aspect ratio as youtube's been for years so the viewing experience isn't any difference, yet some people complain about there being black bars.

Oh. But still, I can see why people would be bothered by that.

!!!

Because it's annoying not using the extra screen space. It basically puts it back in the size of a 5.5 inch screen but with less viewable on top and bottom too thanks to the curved edges. It's a worse viewing experience than on standard phones for video watching imo.

kaiyo

Because it's annoying not using the extra screen space. It basically puts it back in the size of a 5.5 inch screen but with less viewable on top and bottom too thanks to the curved edges. It's a worse viewing experience than on standard phones for video watching imo.

More like a 5.1" screen

Groof

i know why people are annoyed by it, but you're not really losing anything. and besides they have the scaling option if you really want to use the entire screen. they can't really control the content

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Mentally, it's there for some folks. Viewing YouTube content on my S8+, I can /feel/ like I'm missing out

Ymmv, I guess

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
They need to have a full screen YouTube app with content that has been edited to fit on your screen.

Ty4on

The only thing holding me back from the Mi6 is the ROM. The HW - maybe with the exception of the camera - looks great.

HigXx

Tempted to just wait and see how the XZ1 looks instead of diving right into XZ Premium the now.

If XZ1 takes the XZP Camera then surely it will be a winner

kaiyo

Tempted to just wait and see how the XZ1 looks instead of diving right into XZ Premium the now.

If XZ1 takes the XZP Camera then surely it will be a winner

If you want 5.5 inch (4k HDR) screen than get XZ premium.

XZ1 seems to have something new with the camera, full pixel continuous shot?

So..the XZ1 > XZs...

That won't cause consumer confusion at all
Don't know why they are even using 1... Just use 2, who signs off to these naming?

Hieberrr

I just ordered a OnePlus 3T to replace my Moto X Play. It was a bit more expensive than I would've liked in Canada, but there is no way the OnePlus 5 is going to be priced the same or less. For what I'm getting, I'm haply with it. Plus anything to get rid of my Moto X Play. Not that it's a terrible phone or anything, but the battery drain and weird battery problems (auto shut off at 15%, but can turn it on again to use until 0%) was just too much.

llehuty

So, a quickie non-flagship question.

A friend wants to jump the 200-300€ android range, which one would you recommend?

Honor 6x
Xiaomi mi5
P10 lite (p8 lite?)

I myself have a Honor 6x and I'm very happy with it, but he told me he would like something closer to a 5' screen size.

LeleSocho

Banned
Asking for a friends, what are the best go to websites where to buy unlocked smartphones aside amazon if i'm in the US?

A friend wants to jump the 200-300€ android range, which one would you recommend?

Honor 6x
Xiaomi mi5
P10 lite (p8 lite?)

I myself have a Honor 6x and I'm very happy with it, but he told me he would like something closer to a 5' screen size.

Honor 6x, P9 Lite, P10 Lite and P8 Lite (but only the 2017 version) are essentially the same phones differentiating only in the camera, build quality and screen size... they all are mid range phones that work great.
The Mi5 is last year's flagship so it's certainly better but if your friend is European it does lack some LTE bands and in general it requires some annoying work with flashing the international rom and installing the play store etc. etc... not really recommendable unless you really like doing that stuff.

Jeffrey

Honor 6x
Xiaomi mi5
P10 lite (p8 lite?)

Moto G5 is like 5.2"

Asking for a friends, what are the best go to websites where to buy unlocked smartphones aside amazon if i'm in the US?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com

No tax in most states too.

Top Bottom