• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angelina Jolie donates $100,000 to Syrian refugees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angelina Jolie donates $100,000 to Syrian refugees

U.N. Goodwill Ambassador Angelina Jolie visits Libya to help agencies bringing aid to Libyans in Tripoli and Misrata on October 11, 2011 in Misrata, Libya. Jolie was appointed as special envoy to the United Nations High Commissioner of Refugees on April 17, 2012. (Handout/AFP/Getty Images)

Actor Angelina Jolie has donated $100,000 in aid to Syrian refugees, the United Nations refugee agency said on Wednesday according to Agence France Presse.

It comes the same day the UN High Commissioner for Refugees warned there is a funding shortfall for Syria's refugees.

UNHCR spokesperson Melissa Fleming said "one month after the United Nations and its humanitarian partners issued an appeal for $84 million to help Syrian refugees in Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey and Iraq, less than twenty per cent of the funds have been given."

Fleming said "the refugees and the countries hosting them are beginning to show signs of strain. Many refugees arrived with little or no financial resources, so are mostly reliant on the efforts of the host community and organizations dedicated to supporting them."

In a statement marking the donation on World Refugee Day, Jolie said "the solutions to the world's growing number of displaced people were political as well as humanitarian," reported AFP.

"The international community should rededicate itself to preventing conflict, addressing it when it erupts, and solving it more quickly," she said.

Jolie is a special envoy of the UNHCR and has been working with the agency since 2001.

In her work with the UNHCR, Jolie has made over 40 field visits to conflict zones in Afghanistan, Bosnia, Haiti, Iraq and Sudan, according to Reuters and has personally donated over $5 million to build schools in Kenya and Afghanistan.
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/...angelina-jolie-donates-100000-syrian-refugees

$100, out of a little over $1300 my fraternity raised and donated to the Muslim Student Association on campus. Who then donated that to UNHCR with their and others contributions. Thanks for your contribution to nothing.
that's great man, im glad to see that people are helping out, warms the heart and what not. don't think i deserve thanks even though your being sarcastic, i think jolie could have coughed up some more cash though since she's a super millionare.

Lebron

that's great man, im glad to see that people are helping out, warms the heart and what not. don't think i deserve thanks even though your being sarcastic, i think jolie could have coughed up some more cash though since she's a super millionare.
I edited it out, it was uncalled for. Sure she could have donated a lot more, but $100,000 still will go a long way over there.

coldvein

Banned
i just saw on tv that she bought brad pitt a helicopter or something for like a million bucks. still nice of her though, i guess.

SUPREME1

Banned
But what if the refugees use the money to buy weapons? Then you have a US government employee directly arming rebels.

It's plausible.

But what if it goes to housing, clothing, feeding and caring for refugees forced from their homes by shelling committed by the Syrian regime? It's plausible.

Either way, I really wouldn't have any issue with it, seeing how it'd come down to:

Angelina Jolie's $100K vs. Russia's attack helicopters and UN Security Council veto.

Besides, I'm sure she's not donating to The Syrain People's Resistance Army Charity For The Armed Struggle Against Al-Assad's Murderous Regime or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom