• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angelina Jolie's Unconventional Method for Casting Her Latest Movie

Gunblade47

Neo Member
i mean its weird but i dont think it is that cruel as people are thinking.

so they put money in the table and tell the kid to think something on what to spend the money on, then they tell her that he would pretend to steal it and they would pretend to catch her and that she is going to tell a lie to try to get away with it.

it seems that the winner kid only won because she was the one who spend the most time just watching at the money, and she got sad when she had to return it.

You're right. Absolutely nothing wrong with waving your money around in the face of orphans and asking them what they'd do if they had it only to take it away. Completely understandable thing to do.

ISOM

so they put money in the table and tell the kid to think something on what to spend the money on, then they tell her that she would pretend to steal it and they would pretend to catch her and that she is going to tell a lie to try to get away with it.

it seems that the winner kid only won because she was the one who spend the most time just watching at the money, and she got sad when she had to return it.

Agreed. I really don't resonate with the reactions in this thread. It doesn't seem as bad as people are trying to make it.

LotusHD

Banned
i dont get... she should have hired kids from LA? No kids should be cast ever because of disappointment when not selected?

With all the complaints about whitewashing, now people complain about someone trying to hire and pay unprivileged kids that have suffered unbelievable hardships.They are not trained actors, there has to be some kind of selection process and not everyone will get to act in the movie. They have went to the audition for the movie, they are not snatched from the street.

So apparently instead of taking them off the streets and getting them into acting in Hollywood movie, she should have left them on the streets because thats going to be better for them.

Do people think these kids are living their dreams right now? Anyone ending up casted will likely be able to change their life considerably for the better.

From the Vanity Fair article in OP:

According to the article, she shot it in Cambodia, entirely with local cast and in Khmer language with help of best known Cambodian director and basically all of the country, with 3500 people participating on the sets as well as 500 soldiers from the army with the help of ministry of culture.

But not, she is evil. Wtf.

Yea, god bless Angelina Jolie

i dont get... she should have hired kids from LA? No kids should be cast ever because of disappointment when not selected?

With all the complaints about whitewashing, now people complain about someone trying to hire and pay unprivileged kids that have suffered unbelievable hardships.They are not trained actors, there has to be some kind of selection process and not everyone will get to act in the movie. They have went to the audition for the movie, they are not snatched from the street.

So apparently instead of taking them off the streets and getting them into acting in Hollywood movie, she should have left them on the streets because thats going to be better for them.

Do people think these kids are living their dreams right now? Anyone ending up casted will likely be able to change their life considerably for the better.

From the Vanity Fair article in OP:

According to the article, she shot it in Cambodia, entirely with local cast and in Khmer language with help of best known Cambodian director and basically all of the country, with 3500 people participating on the sets as well as 500 soldiers from the army with the help of ministry of culture.

But not, she is evil. Wtf.
Yeah, on balance I'm not negative on the project and I look forward to seeing it.

13ruce

Banned
How are some surprised she could be this cruel to children. Here is something she said about her own kids:
"The world has this opinion about the difference, then you wonder if there is a difference. In fact I found the opposite. I think I feel so much more for Madd and Zee because they’re survivors, they came through so much. In some way they’re strangers because they had this life before me. Shiloh seemed so privileged from the moment she was born, I have less inclination to feel for her. I have the do the opposite from what I expected! I met my other kids when they were six months; they came with a personality. A newborn really is this…blob [the interviewer suggests]…! But now she’s starting to have a personality. The three of them are very funny together, very loud and in each other’s faces. She’s grown up with Zee screaming in her face in the morning! But, yes I’m conscious that I have to make sure I don’t ignore her needs, just because I think the others are more vulnerable."

wtf she speaks as if they are exhibits or something like that. Your own childs girl c'mon...

Keri

so they put money in the table and tell the kid to think something on what to spend the money on, then they tell her that he would pretend to steal it and they would pretend to catch her and that she is going to tell a lie to try to get away with it.

She took a group of disadvantaged children, who are almost certainly in desperate need of money, and then taunted them with money, by asking them to think about what they need it for and pretend to steal it, so she could see which one was more desperate (because having a desperate child as a lead will really sell the film). Then, as to all but one child, they were told to return the money and go.

How are some surprised she could be this cruel to children. Here is something she said about her own kids:
"The world has this opinion about the difference, then you wonder if there is a difference. In fact I found the opposite. I think I feel so much more for Madd and Zee because they’re survivors, they came through so much. In some way they’re strangers because they had this life before me. Shiloh seemed so privileged from the moment she was born, I have less inclination to feel for her. I have the do the opposite from what I expected! I met my other kids when they were six months; they came with a personality. A newborn really is this…blob [the interviewer suggests]…! But now she’s starting to have a personality. The three of them are very funny together, very loud and in each other’s faces. She’s grown up with Zee screaming in her face in the morning! But, yes I’m conscious that I have to make sure I don’t ignore her needs, just because I think the others are more vulnerable."
Could you explain what's wrong here? I've read it twice and I'm not getting how this has anything to do with cruelty to children.

What is it with rich people doing social experiments with poor people? This kinda shit happens way more often than you would think like the poor are fucking animals to be studied.

"well she shoot it there and used entirely Cambodian actors" yeah cause that makes it okay to fucking torture children.

This place sometimes.

TissueBox

Eh.

I'll check the movie out.

Land of Blood was noble, albeit middling. Jolie's fascination with the pains of real, cruel injustice in regions with war-torn/impoverished history is one potential step in a right direction, but I just hope she has the cool and composure to make something potent from it without looking under-cooked one day.

Wallach

maybe she should have just had a fucking audition and not some fucked up social experiment at the expense of some already troubled children

When did this trend of hardcore method acting start? You've got Jared Leto being a complete weirdo to 'get in the mindset' for the Joker, Leo DiCaprio eating actual raw bison meat for The Revenant, and Angelina Jolie fucking with kids to get the perfect actor.

When did Hollywood folks forget that acting is just that, acting.

When did this trend of hardcore method acting start? You've got Jared Leto being a complete weirdo to 'get in the mindset' for the Joker, Leo DiCaprio eating actual raw bison meat for The Revenant, and Angelina Jolie fucking with kids to get the perfect actor.

When did Hollywood folks forget that acting is just that, acting.

Daniel Day Lewis (aka the guy who refused to get treated for pneumonia because they wouldn't have had the cure in the time his movie was set in) winning 3 Oscars...

LewieP

For what it's worth she's like royalty in Cambodia, where she's probably the most beloved/famous Hollywood/celebrity figure, possibly second only to Beyoncé. There's quite a lot of national pride/nationalism, so to have someone from that world demonstrate a clear and sustained interested and fondness for their country is a big deal to the people here.

The kids would have known it was an audition. I don't think it's especially cruel, and if the (local) casting director was the one coordinating it, it's probably not that unusual behavior here. There's lots of cultural norms that wouldn't seem acceptable in other places.

I was in Siem Reap a week before the premier for this movie, a shame I missed it, but I didn't hear about it until after I got there, and I'd already arranged my travel.

She took a group of disadvantaged children, who are almost certainly in desperate need of money, and then taunted them with money, by asking them to think about what they need it for and pretend to steal it, so she could see which one was more desperate (because having a desperate child as a lead will really sell the film). Then, as to all but one child, they were told to return the money and go.

Spot on. It's a special level of evil. Leopard doesn't change stripes I guess.

Daniel Day Lewis (aka the guy who refused to get treated for pneumonia because they wouldn't have had the cure in the time his movie was set in) winning 3 Oscars...
I know it's supposed to be impressive and all, but I just can't be all that amazed at deluding yourself into believing you are the character.

Seeing someone be themselves and suddenly turn into someone else is more impressive to me.

That sounds ... interesting.

I mean, I read it as "Kids asked to think real hard about something they want the money for, take and then come up with a lie about why they wanted it when some one pretends to catch them".

Seems pretty interesting to me. Sounds like you're trying to find acting skills by asking them to make up a real lie on the spot to get something they want and act it out. I don't think it's about "whose the most desperate" but "who can act the best". But that's just how I read it.

This is the same idiot that felt less for her biological child, Shiloh, because she was "more privileged" than the children she adopted. She also called her a "blob".

http://www.mtv.com/news/2754646/angelina-calls-baby-shiloh-a-blob/

Fucking moron.

Calling a new born a blob is pretty spot on though. Much of what they do is cry, sleep, eat and shit. She does say that it was a contrast to her other kids which she got when they were 6months old or something and that now that her baby is that age they started showing their own personality.

Top Bottom