• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe gets called out by IGNs review editor for misquoting their Titanfall review

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Except previews and reviews are written and edited by seperate departments have separate uses and as you describe, previews serve to hype and reviews critique and inform.

By claiming a preview is a review you are crediting a piece of work to a staff that had nothing to do with the piece.

Joe is dumb for doing it.
Yes, in a perfect world this would always be true. IGN has a different take though.

RPGCrazied

Going to go with Joe on this one. Sure he could've not resort to name calling, but the IGN guy is just to much. Fighting over .1 is crazy.

Both of them are acting incredibly immature but I have to say, if this is how IGN lets its employees handle criticism (from YouTube, of all places) in public I hope no one shows them that video where the EA logo hands the IGN logo money.

Except previews and reviews are written and edited by seperate departments have separate uses and as you describe, previews serve to hype and reviews critique and inform.

By claiming a preview is a review you are crediting a piece of work to a staff that had nothing to do with the piece.

The preview and review were written by the same person..

Holy shit, this blew my mind.. what the hell kind of thinking is this. Where a 0.1 determines whether something is great or amazing.. haha, oh man...
Well to be fair you have to draw the line somewhere. It probably means something along the lines of "this game is great, and when compared to the other games which are great it's one of the best of those games." You can't just be like "eh 8.9 means both amazing and great," because you do have to draw a line.

Maybe I'm wrong but aren't we talking about the Review's Preview, which is IGN's published, work in progress, rough draft of the final Review, written by the same guy (in this case Ryan McCaffrey)?

Edit: I'd be interested to see the timing of the removal of the "Believe the Hype" comment...to see if it happened before or after Angry Joe's video on Titanfall. IGN often finishes the review half a week after release date, or further out, after they've had time to fully play the game, assumedly (is that a word?).

Flipyap

CFKR8no.png

lol. The review scale is so fucked.
The straw that broke the camel's metacritic bonus.

The preview and review were both written by the same writer from the same outlet. And the "preview" contained an awful lot of purchasing advice for something that's not supposed to be a review. You can't write a preview telling everyone to run out and buy the game day one and then hide behind a review you write a few days later that contains actual critiques.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
is there someone that somehow "agree" with IGN on this?
I'm trying to see their "point", but I can't...

Humza3

Neo Member
I feel sorry for Dan Stapleton he has so much more to lose than Angry Joe. Angry Joe doesn't really have to worry about future and current employers as much as Dan has to.

FiggyCal

Banned

Could've sworn Ryan McCaffrey who reviewed the game also did the preview.

Edit: And in fact he did.

Numbered game review scores are a joke and have been for a while. They all ignore 90% of the numbers and live in the 8-10 range. Thats crazy.

It should be something like

0 - DONT BUY, dont even think about buying
1 - getting it as a gift for free is ok, otherwise avoid
2 - Rental at best
3 - buying it used is ideal, but make sure you research the game a bit first
4 - not bad, not day 1, but its a fun game
5 - get it day 1 if you are a big fan, otherwise its a good game
6 - pretty fun game, should check it out
7 - great game, you should totally check it out, worth $60
8 - REALLY great game, worth $60 day 1 easily
9 - Amazing game, will always be known for being a great game and a classic. day 1, $60 everyone should buy
10 - If you don't buy it, you are insane. Something to enjoy in the game for anyone. Great writing, graphics, audio, everything top notch.

All the above come with the reminder that it applies only if you like that genre of game as some people just dont like certain genres such as RPG or TBS or FPS. If its your genre the chart applies to you.

There should never be any decimal points. Arguing that an 8.9 is a totally different level than a 9 is crazy when you are dealing with the decimals and quality of a game. When someone sells something for $59.99 you dont think, "oh that is a totally different price than $60.00....TECHNICALLY it is, but realistically it isnt.
There is no need for granular scores like this. A x out of 10 system basically works like this

<7 avoid
7 meh
8 good
9 great
10 masterpiece

There really isn't much more information you need from the number in a review, the text will do the rest. The scale from 0-10 is stupid since it isn't used, but it's not really a problem. Giving scores like 8.x definitely is, because the decimal means nothing.

Atrophis

The IGN preview was published and is therefore fair game to criticism. If they want to argue semantics of whether it was a review or preview (let's be fair, it is a rough draft of their review, a preview of the review), they can, but it looks extremely silly if not unprofessional, especially since it was PUBLISHED. The difference to me between Joe and IGN, is that IGN are supposed to be the professionals, and Joe is just some guy from Youtube. He's an amateur. You expect him to argue over Twitter, whether he's in the right or not (and to me, he's far more in the right here than Dan Stapleton).

In either case, Joe's point stands - the game is fun, but it doesn't deserve a score anywhere near 9 or 10. What's crazy about IGN's final review is that it mentions quite a few of the problems of Titanfall, yet still gives the game an 8.9 out of 10. That seems extremely shady.

It was a review. Just because the article is in their preview section and doesn't have a score doesn't mean it isn't a review. He tells you to buy the game and claims it will redefine action FPS for fucks sake!

DocSeuss

I like Kotaku's review scale. Should you buy this game: Yes or No. That's all you really need. Anything else you need to know they'll tell you in the summary of the review or you can read the entire review for yourself.

I'd personally like a "yes/no/later" system. Maybe it's buggy. Maybe it's asking too much for the price. Some games deserve a chance, just... not right now, y'know?

Yado

Going to go with Joe on this one. Sure he could've not resort to name calling, but the IGN guy is just to much. Fighting over .1 is crazy.

I think it's more about giving his viewers the impression that the review score and the quotes that were lifted from the preview are from a final review while glossing over the criticisms they did in fact make.

rpmurphy

I like how quick you guys are to jump on IGN just because you hate them. Angry Joe is clearly in the wrong here. He quoted a preview quote and made it look like was part of their review, then he claims they gave it a 9 when they didn't. Then angry Joe calls him names the entire time.

Angry Joe is the idiot in this argument.

conman

The lunacy of splitting hairs and semantics. The domain of a doomed argument. Haven't read IGN in over a decade. Good to be reminded why.

McBryBry

I'm a person who normally supports IGN but this is a tad on the ridiculous side. There's no reason to start an argument over .1, and both quotes illustrate was Joe was saying, whether they were from a preview or review. His name calling and what not was a bit much but still, .1?

On a quick note, I'm not surprised by the quotes either. I don't read a review if it's by Ryan for that exact reason.

FiggyCal

Banned
I wish review sites would do away with grading system. Just have your readers read the god damn review.

When I'm looking for a game to buy, sometimes all I want to know is if it's worth the purchase. I don't need to know all the ins and outs of a game before I play it for myself. Metacritic does a pretty good job at telling me if a game is worth my time.

I like how quick you guys are to jump on IGN just because you hate them. Angry Joe is clearly in the wrong here. He quoted a preview quote and made it look like was part of their review, then he claims they gave it a 9 when they didn't. Then angry Joe calls him names the entire time.

Preview and review are basically the same thing...

Shame on any publication trying to make them vastly different.

ElRenoRaven

IGN employee making IGN look like idiots.I want to say that shocks me but of course that isn't hard anymore because at this point IGN has become a joke. To actually try and argue over a point one is ridiculous as hell. Also it's pretty obvious the point Joe was trying to make. I think someone's just crying cause someone talked bad about IGN.

Just reminds me why I never freaking visit that site along with pretty much any gaming news site anymore.

The exchange is silly. They should turn this lemon into lemonaid and livestream a titanfall match. All they have to do at that point is just not be mean or embarass themselves too much. Could be decent promo for the new content patch, I think there were new maps added -I don't own it/havent' played it.

Ovek

7Member7
IGN is just showing the broken industry, well being broken ;)

That and any time someone from IGN speaks publicly they come of as self important dicks, but the same could be said for Joe too....

The .1 difference is stupid but I feel that the IGN guy has a legitimate point about showing a preview when talking about reviews.

Coxy

Or the difference between a yellow or green on metacritic or an exact score, which affects dev bonuses and sales of the game. Such a flawed system. It's not like games were selling less before such important was placed on metacritic and arbitrary exact scores.

Sessler explains it well

none of which any reviewer should even think about when reviewing a game

Axass

Twitter once again proves to be the big red "be a stupid" button everyone wants to press.

I feel sorry for Dan Stapleton he has so much more to lose than Angry Joe. Angry Joe doesn't really have to worry about future and current employers as much as Dan has to.

You feel sorry about someone spouting that 0,1 nonsense and deliberately stirring up shit a month after the fact happened? Woah.

Camwi

There is no need for granular scores like this. A x out of 10 system basically works like this

<7 avoid
7 meh
8 good
9 great
10 masterpiece

There really isn't much more information you need from the number in a review, the text will do the rest. The scale from 0-10 is stupid since it isn't used, but it's not really a problem. Giving scores like 8.x definitely is, because the decimal means nothing.

If that's the case, what's the point of using 1-10 instead of 1-5, since there's only five possibilities?

BajiBoxer

Banned

Not that simple at all, which has been very well explained throughout the thread.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
It wasn't a 10!
It was a 9.9, get your facts straight Joe. You have no journalistic integrity and are blight on the industry.

Meanwhile:
SLQJc.gif

MC Safety

I can almost understand expressing your displeasure in a case like this.

A dispute of this sort should have been handled with one brief, professional e-mail. An extended Twitter slapfight makes everyone involved seem horribly childish.

Top Bottom