• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe gets called out by IGNs review editor for misquoting their Titanfall review

AngryJoeShow

Neo Member
Here's the thing that wasn't shown in the OP.

Dan tweets no less than 5 rude sarcastic character attacking tweets directly at my handle & other twitter users before I even reply.

Granted, I was annoyed by that time that the dude who is supposedly a "real" journalist couldn't handle himself more professionally say send me a private message, direct email hell even snail mail. If I needed to make a correction I would have made the correction, I'm open to that if its warranted.

But that's just the thing, none of this was warranted and if someone from IGN wants to throw down and get dirty on twitter what does one goof ball on youtube care? I've a right to defend myself in public when someone is bashing me, especially someone who is representing IGN, wouldn't you?

Basically the dude is upset that I made a point that most major outlets praised the game highly before and even in their reviews, gave the game high marks but yet left out some of the games glaring commissions and issued 9s and 10s anyway. I help make this point by showing some examples on screen while talking about this idea, some of which was ign's "believe the hype" quote from a preview article, their 8.9/10 review score, another outlets 10/10 review score and a full page ad from that same 10/10 review site.

His major points where:
1. IGN issued the game a 8.9 and not a 9/10! Which not only is that the stupidest point to ever make showing how much importance IGN places on stupid decimals between a good game and an amazing game, but the fact is I NEVER said IGN gave it specifically a 9/10, I just said many outlets. His point is invalid.
2. I showed the believe the hype quote which was from a preview and was eventually used by titanfall, EA, and Origin to sell the game, putting it in bold right up there with other review scores from other outlets. If hes mad that I mentioned that perhaps he should be mad with those companies who used that quote from a preview to sell their game not me, again another stupid point to be mad and talk crap about Angry Joe over twitter for. Misdirected frustration it really seems like.

and this is the doosey...
3. Basically he is saying IGN didnt hype up the game, and didnt issue it a high score so im misrepresenting them. Ill leave it up to you whether Believe the Hype and a 8.9/10 is a higher score.
4. Another funny thing is he mentions they do address the many things missing in the game (for example no private matches at launch) yet its addressed in the most vague general way passingly, yet despite all the games short comings and lack of content BOOM 8.9, because darn you respawn and EA so much is missing so deduction of 0.1 is in order from that coveted IGN 9.0! LOL.

Im sorry but I couldnt believe the dude picked me to get upset at over this. Then he puts the icing on the cake with this: https://twitter.com/DanStapleton/status/456764308811026432
"Fun math fact: IGN has 4x the YouTube followers Joe does."

Sure they do Dan, they are also a multi million dollar company with 400 employees who all keep it running where as im 1 guy, seriously 1 frigging dude youtube wearing all different hats to get everything done just barely. How can I seriously hope to compete and why am I a target of IGN?

Maybe this?
i.imgur.com/nyDugib.jpg

unbias

Seems more like he's just unwilling to let Joe get away with being an immature kid.

Yes, that is what he was doing, being dad, and being concerned about his maturity level. Seriously? Joe obviously looked stupid with the way he responded, but the actual criticism from Dan was quite weak, to the point of going public with it seemed immature, specially they way in which he handled it. If you are going to bitch about maturity, at least give us a baseline to where you think maturity is needed and where it is not, because the entire way the discussion started and went down seems pretty immature. The difference seems to come down to who you like and or agree with more.

The only thing that really stood out to me is IGN saying the Xbox Live Community will be the best place to enjoy the game.

How so? Because you have your friends there? Thats the only thing i can think of considering IGN's nonexistant PC coverage.

We all remember that "Build a PC for Crysis 3" video, so embarassing.

megamerican

I'm somewhat surprised IGN even cares about their credibility at this point. Joe could have handled it better, but being called out publicly over something this trivial I can understand why he flipped out.

theRizzle

To me, an 8.9 is indistinguishable from a 9 if you are talking specifically about a 100 point review scale. I get that on IGN's scale, the difference between an 8.9 and a 9 is considered to be a different "tier" of game, and they seem to be pretty particular about making that point.

Fine, but what is the difference between a 9 and a 9.1 in their eyes? If it's nothing, then I can't see how they can make such a big deal about 8.9 to 9.

This is why 100 point scales are silly.

More in-depth or just longer? I've seen a couple of his review videos and there isn't much actual analysis.

No more in depth. That's why I said more in depth and didn't say longer.

He goes into the specifics and calls out specific moments in the game to illustrate his points. Many reviewers just say things but don't explain which is a big frustration of mine.

GoaThief

he didnt even specifically mention IGN
We've been over this already

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=108504831

To which your sole response was

Are you fucking serious [regarding IGNs criticism of the campaign]?

/snip

Oh ya, they definitely complained about that one!
Which I've responded to a couple of times already;

I'd say that calling the campaign "background noise" and not being able to tell what the story is actually about, is indeed criticism.

If it isn't, then what is it?

&

See, this is where opinion comes into play. I don't believe it was softballed and it appears pretty damming to me. You disagree and that's fine. The point is this; the claim is there was no criticism of the campaign. There clearly and factually was criticism of the campaign. Therefore IGN has been misrepresented, and let's not pretend Joe's video is anything but vitriolic too.

Neither Joe or the IGN guy come out of this with any glory, both as ridiculous as each other. IGN's whole score thing is a joke anyway, just like the site itself.

unbias

We've been over this already

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=108504831

To which your sole response was

Which I've responded to a couple of times already;

Your response wasn't accurate, he said criticize and focus on it. IGN didnt do that. You can have the opinion that is what happened, but I think that is ridiculous, specially if you think that weak of a criticism is "damning". I literally find it incredibly hard to believe.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm gonna have to back Angry Joe here, Dan Stapleton's comments and arguments are really stupid.

Does he really expect people to believe that there's a huge difference between 8.9 and 9? (Not that Angry Joe ever mentioned that IGN gave the game a 9 anywhere in his video, or atleast from what I remember).

I give Joe a 9.0

I give IGN a 8.9

My scale

8.0 - 8.9 = Shitty and not worth your time
9.0 - 10.0 = God Tier

But seriously Joe isn't a professional journalist, he's a video game enthusiast like most of us here.

If the argument had taken place on this forum, I'm pretty sure Dan would have got banned.

*Edit One*
For clarification, when I said "professional journalist", I meant gaming press.
Gaming Press = The professional journalism of the gaming world?

*Edit Two, Son of Edit One!*
This should be added to OP, missed it in Joe's Post.
nyDugib.jpg

unbias

I give Joe a 9.0

I give IGN a 8.9

My scale

8.0 - 8.9 = Shitty and not worth your time
9.0 - 10.0 = God Tier

But seriously Joe isn't a professional journalist, he's a video game enthusiast like most of us here.

If the argument had taken place on this forum, I'm pretty sure Dan would have got banned.

Neither are they(most of the gaming press), they just have more practice dealing with press related issues.

AniHawk

twitter is one of the best things of all time. amazing how people routinely make complete asses out of themselves with such a small character limit.

OneUh8

Dan tweets no less than 5 rude sarcastic character attacking tweets directly at my handle & other twitter users before I even reply.

Granted, I was annoyed by that time that the dude who is supposedly a "real" journalist couldn't handle himself more professionally say send me a private message, direct email hell even snail mail. If I needed to make a correction I would have made the correction, I'm open to that if its warranted.

But that's just the thing, none of this was warranted and if someone from IGN wants to throw down and get dirty on twitter what does one goofy ball on youtube care? I've a right to defend myself in public when someone is bashing me, especially someone who is representing IGN, wouldn't you?

Basically the dude is upset that I made a point that most major outlets praised the game highly before and even in their reviews, gave the game high marks but yet left out some of the games glaring commissions and issued 9s and 10s anyway. I help make this point by showing some examples on screen while talking about this idea, some of which was ign's "believe the hype" quote from a preview article, their 9.8/10 review score, another outlets 10/10 review score and a full page ad from that same 10/10 review site.

His major points where:
1. IGN issued the game a 8.9 and not a 9/10! Which not only is that the stupidest point to ever make showing how much importance IGN places on stupid decimals between a good game and an amazing game, but the fact is I NEVER said IGN gave it specifically a 9/10, I just said many outlets. His point is invalid.
2. I showed the believe the hype quote which was from a preview and was eventually used by titanfall, EA, and Origin to sell the game, putting it in bold right up there with other review scores from other outlets. If hes mad that I mentioned that perhaps he should be mad with those companies who used that quote from a preview to sell their game not me, again another stupid point to be mad and talk crap about Angry Joe over twitter for. Misdirected frustration it really seems like.

3. Basically he is saying IGN didnt hype up the game, and didnt issue it a high score so im misrepresenting them. Ill leave it up to you whether Believe the Hype and a 8.9/10 is a higher score.
4. Another funny thing is he mentions they do address the many things missing in the game (for example no private matches at launch) yet its addressed in the most vague general way passingly, yet despite all the games short comings and lack of content BOOM 8.9, because darn you respawn and EA so much is missing so deduction of 0.1 is in order from that coveted IGN 9.0! LOL.

Im sorry but I couldnt believe the dude picked me to get upset at over this. Then he puts the icing on the cake with this: https://twitter.com/DanStapleton/status/456764308811026432

Sure they do Dan, they are also a multi million dollar company with 400 employees who all keep it running where as im 1 guy, seriously 1 on frigging youtube wearing all the hates. How can I seriously hope to compete and why am I a target of IGN?

Maybe this?
i.imgur.com/nyDugib.jpg

Unreal Joe. That guy has just buried a nice hole for himself.

RVone

Neo Member
So, basically, Dan's strategy on this is to just keep repeating that IGN was misquoted. Even though there isn't actual misquoting in the video (a case can be made about misrepresentation, but that's an entirely different matter) he just keeps repeating it until it is true. I guess that's a school of journalistic thought one could adhere to.

Haunted

I've come around on B-tier internet celebrity bitch fights on Twitter lately. I used to think they were annoying, but now they're mostly funny because of the inevitable outside shaming involved a couple (hours? days?) later.

8.9 is a good score.

9.0 is an amazing score.

He said it right there!
:lol

edit: for the record: I think Joe's reviews and rants have a surprising depth to them, something you usually don't get from annoying [Adjective]Gamer Youtube channels.

Chaos17

But that's just the thing, none of this was warranted and if someone from IGN wants to throw down and get dirty on twitter what does one goofy ball on youtube care? I've a right to defend myself in public when someone is bashing me, especially someone who is representing IGN, wouldn't you?

Basically the dude is upset that I made a point that most major outlets praised the game highly before and even in their reviews, gave the game high marks but yet left out some of the games glaring commissions and issued 9s and 10s anyway. I help make this point by showing some examples on screen while talking about this idea, some of which was ign's "believe the hype" quote from a preview article, their 9.8/10 review score, another outlets 10/10 review score and a full page ad from that same 10/10 review site.

His major points where:

Sure they do Dan, they are also a multi million dollar company with 400 employees who all keep it running where as im 1 guy, seriously 1 on frigging youtube wearing all the hates. How can I seriously hope to compete and why am I a target of IGN?

Maybe this?
i.imgur.com/nyDugib.jpg

Knowing all the details just make me...
tumblr_m78eq5rnk61rbsg6jo1_400.gif

RoKKeR

The lack of professionalism shown by this IGN guy is truly embarrassing. These people call themselves journalists, what a joke.

I find it amusing that the video actually shows a screenshot of the IGN review with an 8.9/10. In the context of the line Joe gave he was concerned about the high scores different outlets were giving Titanfall saying things like, "believe the hype, 10/10, 9/10." That line indicates he's referring to three separate outlets (IGN preview, EGM review, IGN review respectively). I'm not a huge Joe fan, but it almost feels like Dan Stapleton didn't even watch the entire review.

From the IGN review:

There’s a laudable attempt to infuse a two-sided campaign into the multiplayer through a fixed set and order of nine of the 15 maps, in which NPC faction commanders give context to the goals and game modes of each battleground.

LX_Theo

Banned

His major points where:

Maybe this?
i.imgur.com/nyDugib.jpg

You can't honestly be whining about him not being professional about it when you acted like as much of a child as him.

With that kind of a preview article, what point is a review? They have already explicitly said to believe the hype, to run out and buy an Xbone and Titanfall, that COD gamers will likely flock to Titanfall, etc.. So any review is meaningless because the game is just THAT good. IGN is a joke and I'm glad Angry Joe called them out on it. That IGN's reviews editor got his panties in a twist a month later over the difference between their advertisement preview and the review, and a 0.1 decimal difference in scores, is hilarious.

AwShucks

I don't read IGN anymore, I don't know hardly anything about Angry Joe. But given the disagreement and what I've seen I would back Angry Joe here.

On that note, there IS a difference between 8.9 and 9.0. It's up to you as the reader to decide how much that difference matters to you. In this case it won't matter to most people. Apparently it matters a LOT to IGN.

unbias

With that kind of a preview article, what point is a review? They have already explicitly said to believe the hype, to run out and buy an Xbone and Titanfall, that COD gamers will likely flock to Titanfall, etc.. So any review is meaningless because the game is just THAT good. IGN is a joke and I'm glad Angry Joe called them out on it. That IGN's reviews editor got his panties in a twist a month later over the difference between their advertisement preview and the review, and a 0.1 decimal difference in scores, is hilarious.

Ya, the saddest part about all this is people are not focusing more on the fact that Dan was aggravated that Angry didn't properly contextualize that most of the excessive praise and hype coming form them, was before the game was even out. How the fuck is that better?

Superflat

Dan, who as an employee has the responsibility of representing IGN and keeping a professional reputation, comes out looking far worse out of all this -- especially that "IGN has 4x more followers than Joe" BS. Angry Joe is a single guy on Youtube who has no one to answer to but himself, and has an immense following that no single person on IGN can match.

marrec

Banned

Joe, I bashed your 'Angry Joe' personality in the past and will continue to find it borish, but this is me just talking to the guy who puts on a show for the camera...

Why couldn't you just take the high road? I mean, I understand your followers expect a certain level of discourse out of you, but if Dan is being an insufferable twat, then why return in kind? You, as an independent critic of Video Games, have nothing to prove to Dan Stapleton of all people. IGN has ZERO credibility and Dan fighting for some scraps so publicly with you is only going to reduce yours.

Obviously you don't have to take my advice and you don't owe me or Dan Stapleton a single fuck, but a classy and measured response would have blown the dude's mind.

But then there wouldn't be a huge GAF thread on it would there?

Hmm...

Iorv3th

Does Dan's bosses think it's a good idea for him to go on twitter and start shit with other people in the gaming community and piss off potential consumers? If I ran IGN he wouldn't be working there anymore..... who am I kidding if I ran IGN none of them would.

His major points where:

Maybe this?
i.imgur.com/nyDugib.jpg

"I was told a long time ago, ghosts and spirits don't like the fumes from ether, and I just wanted to affect him with my weapon and get to his soul".

hengyu

New level of stupid. Joe didn't make any claim that the "believe the hype" line was from a review, and even if he did, "misrepresent other critics for personal gain"? Seriously?

Gotta say I agree with Joe's video. Having played Titanfall, it simply can't hold my interest for very long, and I find myself gravitating back to games that came out before year one ATF (after Titanfall). It's not shaping up to be the revolution that IGN and many other sites had built it up to be before launch... it's just a slightly faster CoD with some parkour and a dearth of content.
The Twitter rampage seems to have been started by IGN, and stems from IGN mistaking Joe's blanket statement as calling out IGN specifically. Shit is crazy stupid, but honestly IGN deserves all the flak that gets thrown at them in the wake of being constant Titan ballwashers for months and months.

RoKKeR

Dan, who as an employee has the responsibility of representing IGN and keeping a professional reputation, comes out looking far worse out of all this -- especially that "IGN has 4x more followers than Joe" BS. Angry Joe is a single guy on Youtube who has no one to answer to but himself, and has an immense following that no single person on IGN can match.
Absolutely.

mclem

I help make this point by showing some examples on screen while talking about this idea, some of which was ign's "believe the hype" quote from a preview article, their 9.8/10 review score, another outlets 10/10 review score and a full page ad from that same 10/10 review site.

Doubling down on the misrepresentation, huh? :)

I said earlier in the thread: I do feel it wasn't representative. I don't think it was egregiously misrepresentative - it conveyed a reasonable sentiment - but it wasn't strictly accurate, and I do feel that was an unwise decision.

Also, on the one hand, I do agree, 8.9 is practically 9.0, and may not deserve the vitriol - but on the other hand, the key here is how scores are percieved, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to percieve 8.9 as more significantly lower than 9.0 than the strict mathematical difference dictates; witness Twilight Princess's 8.8 fiasco. You wouldn't get a reaction like that if people weren't percieving the fact that the highest-value digit was lower than it 'ought' to be.

In short: Not only are reviews subjective, interpretations of review scales are also subjective, and we're going to hell in a handcart :)

Then he puts the icing on the cake with this: https://twitter.com/DanStapleton/status/456764308811026432

Wow. The fact that a huge media outlet like IGN only has four times the subscribers as ONE GUY isn't something to brag about. What a fail, Stapleton... (besides the fact that IGN could easily afford to, and probably does, purchase sock puppet subscribers to fluff their numbers)

DocSeuss

Absolutely, you have that right when someone is bashing you.

Unfortunately, that's not what you did. What you did was go and fuck up.

While your point was worth making, you made them incorrectly, and he took umbrage with that. You maligned his job. Most people would get upset about that. You could have responded simply saying "hey, woah, no need to get upset, I didn't realize that it was that big a deal or something." Instead, you escalated to the point where you've convinced myself, and others, that you aren't worth listening to. And you didn't have to. Doesn't matter that he was being a douche, because you initiated it.

Pretty simple rule to live by: if something you did upsets someone, even if you didn't think it was a big deal, you still do your best to deescalate, instead of turning into a whiny, angry child.

Your remarks about why he's upset show you don't understand why he's upset, so here, I'll make it clear:

You conflated something someone in a different department said with something his department said. You blamed him for something he did not do. Sure, someone else on the site did, but that someone else was in a different department. You trying to extrapolate this into some narrative where a guy in the industry is butthurt because you were illuminating us with the truth or whatever... that's not accurate in the least. You used a dumb quote from one department to represent a dumb quote from another department.

It's not rocket science, it's basic journalism 101. You should know this stuff. You should live by it.

Top Bottom