• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

bjork

Maybe it's
Nostalgia Critic
or
Board James

According to the most recent post, it's that dude that was on the wrestling video they did a little while back. That's the only thing I've ever seen him in, so I don't know if it's a good or bad thing.

bjork

They sure went nuts with the sugar glass in this one. I guess there's only so much you can say about some of these items, though.

It wasn't exactly funny, but it was one of the most over the top things I've seen in awhile. They really went all out with the set destruction. I thought it was pretty fun, especially since it only lasted 10 minutes. If it had gone any farther I think it would have been too much, but as is, it worked for me.

2016 hasn't been a great year for AVGN :(

I don't agree with this at all. Berenstein Bears, Paperboy, and Mega Man were all pretty good.

I have no idea who this bald guy is, but I did find him to be really amusing at this part in the video...

IAC8aLq.gif

shanafan

Genuinely didn't find any of that episode funny at all.

2016 hasn't been a great year for AVGN :(

Too much Mike. Too much Ryan.

Mike just bosses James around when he plays, and same for Ryan. I still watch all of their content, but Mike can get on my nerves. Ryan doesn't have a good camera presence either. Their PS4 Pro video really showed how clueless they can be about modern games. I give James a pass since he is more focused on retro, so that's fine. But for Mike who plays modern games, he hasn't aged well with the video game generations.

I want a James and Bootsy video. Bootsy is just a really chill player, so it would be neat to see more of just James and Bootsy play together.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I kinda wanted to turn off the video midway, never happened before. It was mostly both of them breaking bottles and shit with a few minutes of gameplay between that. I dunno, didn't felt like AVGN really.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Definitely a weird episode.
Haven't seen Keith Apicary in years! Does he still have a channel?

A friend made a good point, this is meant to capture the essence of 90's Sega's edginess with the over-the-top nature of their commercials. Plus it helps to be familiar with these awful Sega peripherals.

They clearly had fun with this episode, and it's definitely something original.

Timu

Definitely a weird episode.
Haven't seen Keith Apicary in years! Does he still have a channel?

A friend made a good point, this is meant to capture the essence of 90's Sega's edginess with the over-the-top nature of their commercials. Plus it helps to be familiar with these awful Sega peripherals.

They clearly had fun with this episode, and it's definitely something original.
Really? He was on a James and Mike Mondays episode months ago. And I believe so.

Yeah episode only got a few chuckles out of me AVGN really doesn't cross over well with other reviewers. The only one that worked was toxic avengers and I still didn't find it that funny.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Keith Apicary, that's a name I haven't heard of in years. Just remember him being related to Screwattack in some way, but his material never seemed to be up my alley.

Edit: Yeah, this was......eehhhhh....but maybe I wanted this to be similar to the NES Accessories episode where he actually talks about the device itself instead of doing a skit & barely talking about it. "Genesis Accessories" or something.

tauke

Ok episode but I remember seeing such gadgets at the video games section when I was young and think it is really cool to play with it instead of your typical gamepad.

I love how they went all out in creating a "stunt" AVGN episode with all the breakable props hehe.

grim-tales

I thought the slapstick was funny in the episode but I wanted James to talk about the accessories more and what made them so frustrating/bad etc (see the NES episode as an example), this was certainly different from a usual episode but its good that James tries different things.

thefro

This was surprisingly really funny for the slapstick but I can understand why some wouldn't like it as the game accessories were completely secondary. Something different.

Yeah episode only got a few chuckles out of me AVGN really doesn't cross over well with other reviewers. The only one that worked was toxic avengers and I still didn't find it that funny.

Disagree. I thought this one was good and the episode with Pat the NES Punk and the NWC was one of the better episodes of the series.

The actual reviews of TMNT stuff he does with Nostalgia Critic are fine as well (not the whole fake feud and fighting stuff).

I think the only bad one was the Captain S crossover way back in the early days.

grim-tales

I liked the NWC episode with Pat, it showed a different side to the Nerd, getting really excited about a rare game instead of angry,

AlexBasch

Okay, fuck it, I'm a dumbass who doesn't appreciate the quirky, mature and highly intellectual comedy of Wes Anderson or something, but I laughed my ass off to the trashing and slapstick jokes.

Specially the fire extinguisher and the frying pan for some reason, they didn't look "plastic" or whatever so it kinda took me by surprise when James just threw the thing towards the other dude's face.

Let the guy have some fun. I can understand some of you not liking the lack of depth on those things, but he had the chance to trash a set and smash bottles just for the hell of it.

Eila

The Abobo let's play was great. These two dudes were really into it.
Newest AVGN eh. The bald guy is funny, though.

Shoyz

Thought it would have been better if AVGN was more critical of the toys, but it was funny. Keith and James really seemed to fit together somehow.

jholmes

I kinda wanted to turn off the video midway, never happened before. It was mostly both of them breaking bottles and shit with a few minutes of gameplay between that. I dunno, didn't felt like AVGN really.

Yeah, this sort of reminded me of the end of the Super Mario Bros. 3 episode... like, I hope enjoyed making this, because I didn't enjoy watching it. Didn't laugh once, was mostly just bored.

Too bad, he's really brought the funny around Christmastime before.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think the reason I didn't care for the episode was it wasn't like the NES Accessories, where he actually TALKED about said accessories, or the Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle episode where, despite all the fighting/destruction, he still took the time to talk about each game, even if most of them were just more of the same.

It could've been a funny blend of the two episodes mentioned above but with Genesis Accessories, but it was more focused on "let's just do slapstick using this stuff sometimes" than "let's talk about this stuff."

I really wanted that backpack with a speaker as a kid.

Episode wasn't great but it seemed like they had fun so I enjoyed watching it. Would've liked more Keith and less slapstick. Keith is good with slapstick but he usually knows how to not overdo it.

jholmes

It wasn't the best, but I do appreciate all the effort he put into this episode. Just making that set can't be easy.

That's the thing, he puts all this effort into sets and costumes and effects and sometimes it's like, man, put a little effort into the jokes while you're at it. Was I supposed to laugh the sixth time a bottle fell on someone's head?

Also I always wanted to find out more about the Activator, really it's barely mentioned in this thing.

grim-tales

I think the reason I didn't care for the episode was it wasn't like the NES Accessories, where he actually TALKED about said accessories, or the Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle episode where, despite all the fighting/destruction, he still took the time to talk about each game, even if most of them were just more of the same.

It could've been a funny blend of the two episodes mentioned above but with Genesis Accessories, but it was more focused on "let's just do slapstick using this stuff sometimes" than "let's talk about this stuff."

That's a good point, I just rewatched the episode and found it very funny when I realised it was like a parody of 90's infomercials (I liked it the first time but thought "He should focus on the games more")? As it wasn't quite what I expected.
I think the thing with the slapstick/absurdist comedy is, in eps like Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout/Crazy Castle, Mega Man, and SMB3, the slapstick was part of the plot and had a point to it. In NES Accessories he did silly stuff as well as looking at the games. It can vary with me but there are great episodes that combine the review with storytelling, humour, stunts etc.
I can appreciate he put a LOT of effort into building that set though, it kinda felt like watching a cartoon or Three Stooges episode, or something similar, the episode was something different and lighthearted.

Cepheus

I'd honestly be up for more slapstick like this in future episodes. I miss the fights the Nerd would have with Bugs Bunny/The Joker etc and stuff like this really helps give the episodes character.

Also, I swear the way James slapped Keith with the shirt stick thing was a reference to something Mike did with it in that old video where they tested the headset out in the Nerd room.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So James took a quote from the Atari 5200 review and made a fake movie trailer out of it.

I approve.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Loved the holiday episode. The effects and the way it was directed were hilarious.

shanafan

Does this GIF remind you of Bootsy every time? It does for me, lol.

9sxHPBx.jpg

This guy looks like Bootsy, or either I can see Bootsy portraying this character.

shanafan

Speaking of Bootsy.. he tweeted that there are no let's play plans for him in the near future :(

Seems there are no plans to continue Mike & Bootsy episodes. I'm sure I'll pop up in some future Cinemassacre projects down the road, though

Top Bottom