• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

dickroach

funniest episode in a long time
production value's also way up

i don't get why "sponsored" is in the video title. it's off-putting. good for them for getting a few bucks from a sponsor, but it's still weird.

Dereck

Did you guys notice that James was green screened into the game and also BEHIND the dialogue box? I'm trying to imagine how the editing process was.

I'm referring to where he jumped into the water.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That was a really funny episode but it didn't feel like a traditional one. Can't quite put my finger on why, though. Still enjoyable.

Timu

I'm guessing AVGN hasn't played Sonic Adventure when he talked about Sonic meeting real humans, but that a was great episode, loved the jokes and editing in it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
11 years is pretty old in gaming/internet years. & I feel like this is more of an exception due to the high demand of the game. I don't see him reviewing any other PS360 era games anytime soon unless it's infamous shovelware like Ninjabread Man.

Zatoth

Enjoyed the episode.

The green screen effects of him being in the game reminded me of the Super Mario Bros. show.

120905_feature_superbros_featured-600x333.jpg

KalBalboa

Banned
I have a question for fans of Rolfe:

How's his reputation feeling these days? I'm still a fan of his output and consider him to be a decent guy, but I wonder what the world thinks of him about a year after his Ghostbusters 2016 segment.

I personally saw zero issue with what he said. He was frank about not wanting to encourage remake culture and that he'd vote with his wallet, but there was a major witch hunt that ensued against James after that video went live.

Do you think the odd stigma some had about him has subsided since?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It was quickly forgotten, but it was a bit unfortunate that he had a video with that Gamergater right before the Ghostbuster Incidient.

But it was funny how suddenly everyone was a expert on James Rolfe when it came to throw around with accusations.

Kudo

Majority of people supported him, as seen by the like bar in Youtube.
Noisy people just started the fight out of thin air when anyone could see the movie was going to end up like it did, and I think James Rolfe couldn't have handled the situation any better, just ice cold silence, props to him for that.
I don't think it affected him in any way, if anything it increased his fanbase, possibly with the wrong crowds though but can't help it.

Changing topics, I don't know why this isn't uploaded on their main channel but:
Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Live Stream - Part 16 - Cinemassacre Plays
James finally made an appearance in the streams it seems during Breath of the Wild launch giving it a try.
Really enjoyed watching the clip, you can see James is not that familiar with new gen games yet.

maharg

idspispopd
I know I just threw a grenade in here and that's a bit of a dick move when I'm gonna just drop it after this post, but he also sees Godzilla *remakes*. And Classic Movie Monster *remakes*. Like, ffs, all his favourite movies are or have been remade and he likes some of the remakes better than the originals.

There's a definite element of hypocrisy to his protest, and denying that is silly. Just... stop taking it so fucking personal that some people on the internet took issue with something he said. You don't need to defend him. He's not at risk of losing anything. Everyone has blind spots and he announced one of his in bold letters with a clickbait title. Of course people reacted.

I like James. I like what he does. That doesn't mean I or anyone else have to like every random opinion he has.

shanafan

I watch everything Cinemassacre.. even the bad Let's Plays with Ryan and Mike. Well, they are fine but Ryan can be too much at times. I really do miss Bootsy. Going from Bootsy to Ryan is just a sharp contrast.

Anyways, I didn't personally care for James's opinion about the Ghostbusters movie. I saw the movie, and I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. But, if he doesn't want to see it, then he doesn't want to see it. I just shake my head with a small smile "Oh James..", and move on to the their next video.

I think it actually blew over quite quickly because the YouTube comment section still likes to talk about a certain part of Mike's body constantly.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I know I just threw a grenade in here and that's a bit of a dick move when I'm gonna just drop it after this post, but he also sees Godzilla *remakes*. And Classic Movie Monster *remakes*. Like, ffs, all his favourite movies are or have been remade and he likes some of the remakes better than the originals.
Still. Godzilla doesnt do Remakes. And he brought up his hate for Remakes up in Monster Madness a lot of time years before Ghostbusters.

I felt that the reaction towards James' Ghostbusters video was sort of unfair. ComicBookGirl19 had very similar opinions, but no one seemed to care. They both wanted the original cast to pass the torch, rather than completely reboot the series as if they never existed. For the most part, people seem to have forgotten about the video and it never really seemed to phase James or Cinemassacre as a whole.

Personally, I liked the Ghostbusters movie. It wasn't the original, but I thought that it did some pretty good stuff. My biggest problem was with some of the characters and how they were portrayed.

maharg

idspispopd
Yes, the one that he saw.

The hypocrisy isn't that he didn't *like* it. It's that he refused to *see* it and proclaimed as much in a 6 minute long clickbait youtube video specifically about how this one movie is apparently a bridge too far.

Pretty sure he's still gonna go see the next Dracula movie too, whenever that happens, no matter how bad it is.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
He hasnt even seen the Kaijuverse Godzilla until recently and wasnt very positiv about it.
King Kong is the only movie where he didnt hated on the remakes

Timu

Yeah, the hate James got over that Ghostbusters vid is a bit much. Plus the movie wasn't all that good anyways. James would had probably hated it if he saw it.

James like the 2nd American Godzilla originally but rewatching it he realized it's a lot more flawed then he remembered. He's mostly excited for KK vs GZ

Psycho killer Mike got rid of da Bootsy
I don't know if the tweets Bootsy made a while ago still exist but it sounds like Mike, and maybe James, just ghosted him and started ignoring him. He says he might still do Bootsy Beats on his own YouTube channel.

Honestly, I've stopped watching almost every video saved for the rare AVGN episodes, especially because of the Ghostbuster video, the Monday show with the gamer gate people, and the kind of toxic fan base that grew after those things. And that said, they haven't been good in a while. That Christmas episode is easily the worst thing he's put out, and barring the Power Rangers episode, I can't tell you the last time I really enjoyed one. I really liked the Beatlejuice episode, but that was more than 2 years ago. Mega Man and Paperboy were fine. But stuff like The Crow, or Darkwing Duck... can't remember a thing about them.

Top Bottom