• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - is that really it? or do you expect more related announcements?

• Thread starter Deleted member 774430
  • Start date

Would you be satisfied if Animal Crossing: New Horizons is just what they showed so far?

• Yes, it would be enough for me (considering the seasonal events and possible DLCs)

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • No, nothing they showed so far stand out and they need to show more

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member

Isn't that odd that in 40 days Animal Crossing releases and we haven't heard much of it since the last Direct? Even that one was just a rehash of some of the stuff they showed at Nintendo Treehouse at E3.

Is that really it? Either they don't want to spoil things or there really isn't much more in this game, cause everything i've seen so far doesn't feel particularly new, nothing that stands out.

Basically here's everything we know you can do in this game:

- You start with a tent in the deserted Island. (eventually you can build a house a suppose, but it's not confirmed)

- craft tools in the workbench to then gather new resources and craft more items

- sell stuff to Timmy &Tommy, and do Nook sidequests (Nook miles)

- You can place furniture inside the house/tent or outside

- The usual Animal Crossing activities like catching bugs and fish, socialize with the other inhabitants or invite friends locally or online.

We've seen many survival games doing all those things before, the closest that comes to my mind and the one i'll probably keep comparing when New Horizons releases, is probably The Sims 2: Castaway ("Island" if you live in Europe).

That game also had a fairly advanced crafting system for furniture, leisure items and clothes, and you could even build houses from scratch with different materials and bigger projects to build like a boat to visit the other islands.
The Sims 2: Castaway

pic1148582.jpg

1.png.8802257027524459d3ce02c6372cce5d.png

Animal Crossing

latest

If this is it, i'll probably skip it unless it turns out there is a lot more they didn't want to spoil or if they announce more in a Direct closer to the release. (it has to be in the next weeks, the wait is almost over)

Last edited by a moderator:

data_jack

I pretty much know what I'm getting gameplay and mechanics wise. Nothing revolutionary is going to come out of any new trailers or reveals (I hope I'm wrong!) but I really want deets on interconnectivity in the game, online compatibility, and so forth. I read that a single island "instance" is going to be locked to each Switch game card, so details on different islands or Kapp'n getaways would be welcome.

Sakura

Have any of the other Animal Crossing games had significant differences between them? Or at least more new content than what we know is in this one? They've all kinda felt the same to me.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
It’s a life sim, not sure what more people are expecting out of it. The formula works and that’s what matters.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I mean, the formula is unique in the whole genre and works to the point you get rip off wannabes like Hokko Life and Castaway Paradise, why would the original try to be more like survival games (wtf?) or the sims instead and change it up that much losing that valuable formula that others clearly strive (and so far fail) to copy?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
It’s a life sim, not sure what more people are expecting out of it. The formula works and that’s what matters.

As someone who has played all The Sims games (eventually gave up with 4 as i couldn't stand EA's BS anymore) there's A LOT more you could with this.

For instance:

"you can place furniture inside or outside your home" -> yes but what's the purpose besides decorating your home? Is there a benefit on placing a TV in your living room?

Is a bed just a decoration or does it have a purpose? can you sleep in that bed?

What about customization? can i apply textures to that furniture?

I struggle to find the purpose as this world doesn't seem interactive enough, and a list of daily tasks isn't compelling enough for me. That was my main gripe with Pocket Camp.

Again maybe we're missing a killer feature they have yet to announce (Street Pass integration was a big one in New Leaf) but everything they've announced so far, it's something you've probably done like hundred times in other survival games especially in a post Minecraft world.

Alexios

So you want them to add some kind of management meta game for those things to have an "effect" beyond just wanting them just because and if you don't want them not losing anything for not having them? That's not what the games are about I guess (from what I've seen, never played any).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
So you want them to add some kind of management meta game for those things to have an "effect" beyond just wanting them just because and if you don't want them not losing anything for not having them? That's not what the games are about I guess (from what I've seen, never played any).

It's hard for me to understand the appeal as i've only played Pocket Camp and found it extremely boring, repetitive and limited.

The Sims 3 had a "Create a style" tool where you could apply any texture to anything: clothes, furniture, cars,... i want something like that. In Pocket Camp the closest thing was the customization for your camper.

Like New Horizons has DIY recipes to craft your tool, but can i collect resources to color those items? Similar to what you can do in Breath of the Wild yo customize your outfit.

As for the game i want more meaningful activities like build a minigame around fishing with a meter and experience points, or make cooking more interesting with thousands of recipes.

StormCell

For the little I have played of this series, the purpose of the game is to visit it daily, do a set of tasks that are meant to be fun and somewhat compelling (a light challenge), be surprised by a few things that change from one day to the next, cultivate your friendships with the other villagers, and, if you have anyone else in your home who plays, check out what all they've done. That's it. That's the full extent. This is a game that is designed to live and breath with you but is not at all designed to be this in-exhaustive game that you can't put down and you sink hundreds of hours into over the course of several months. This is a game that is by design meant to be an after-school or after-work light/fun experience that is just enough to keep you coming back all year long while not dominating your daily life.

Alexios

It's hard for me to understand the appeal as i've only played Pocket Camp and found it extremely boring, repetitive and limited.
Oh. Okay then. I get why it's hard to understand the appeal of a series you haven't even played outside some mobile spin off, yeah, I'm in the same boat with AC as I said, but since I've not really played any in the series I also don't try to pretend I know what it offers, what it lacks and what it should do different. Lol I guess.

Sure, "more" customization always sounds like a good thing to add. Never said that's a bad thing.

Though again I don't know how much there is included already and what the game goes for exactly, maybe if you can make your own it defeats the point of "working" towards getting more pre-designed stuff? That's not what I commented on your previous post over for you to answer with that.

Hope you don't judge Super Mario Odyssey or Galaxy and other entries by Super Mario Run or Assassin's Creed by Assassin's Creed Pirates and Fallout by Fallout Shelter and so on and so forth whether you played other games in their vague genre or not.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Oh. Okay then. I get why it's hard to understand the appeal of a series you haven't even played outside some mobile spin off, yeah, I'm in the same boat with AC as I said, but since I've not really played any in the series I also don't try to pretend I know what it offers, what it lacks and what it should do different. Lol I guess.

Hope you don't judge Super Mario Odyssey or Galaxy and other entries by Super Mario Run or Assassin's Creed by Assassin's Creed Pirates and Fallout by Fallout Shelter and so on and so forth.

I'm a big fan of other sim games, i mentioned The Sims, but i also love Stardew Valley, Story of Seasons and Rune Factory. My knowledge doesn't come just from Pocket Camp, and i'm not trying to "pretend" anything.

It's just Nintendo so far has announced so little on what you can actually do in this game, so i want to see where there is the depth and if there is one or it's just on the same level of Happy home designer. (which i saw and thought it looked shallow on many aspects)

Ultimately the decision is whether to buy this or Rune Factory on Switch.

I hope Nintendo does something soon. If feels like there's still 80% of the game we know nothing about. At this point it seems like New Leaf with crafting, on an island. There's got to be more. Also, what's the hub of New Horizons? Is it a separate island you travel to? Is it part of your island that you build up? I'm can't believe we're a month out and there hasn't been some new trailer or something.

It will keep to the basic Animal Crossing formula and I am good with that as going in blind with Nintendo games has never really let me down yet.

Top Bottom