• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT6| Not So New Leaf

To anyone here getting a Switch tonight, I sincerely hope it is as awesome as you want it to be. And if you didn't preorder it, I wish you luck in snagging one! It'll be a few months before I get mine, so I'll still be on the New Leaf grind for a good while.

On a Switch related note, I'm curious how this game's communities will be affected with Switch being released. I expect threads like the ACTurnips and ACTrade reddits to not have as many posts, at least in the short term so Switch hype can cool off just a tad. I'll reserve on buying turnips for a few weeks and monitor subreddits for signs of life.

One of the main things I have left to do is get some furniture sets completed. I'll need to make a list of what I actually am looking for first.

A chat room, for more immediate assistance.

https://discord.gg/tf2TRgF

Oh sweet, I'll have to add this room soon.

That spider crab is so dang creepy!

But so delicious :D

To anyone here getting a Switch tonight, I sincerely hope it is as awesome as you want it to be. And if you didn't preorder it, I wish you luck in snagging one! It'll be a few months before I get mine, so I'll still be on the New Leaf grind for a good while.

On a Switch related note, I'm curious how this game's communities will be affected with Switch being released. I expect threads like the ACTurnips and ACTrade reddits to not have as many posts, at least in the short term so Switch hype can cool off just a tad. I'll reserve on buying turnips for a few weeks and monitor subreddits for signs of life.

One of the main things I have left to do is get some furniture sets completed. I'll need to make a list of what I actually am looking for first.

Oh sweet, I'll have to add this room soon.

But so delicious :D

From what I've gathered...AC fans on reddit do not equal Nintendo fans.

The AC people on reddit are freaks about AC and that's really it.

GAF though is obviously different however.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Reminds me of the early days of this community when we organised set collecting days where people hosted complete sets in their town for people to pick up and put down again. Kind of broke one of the elements of the game (the slow build up of your catalogue) but it was ever so useful.

ferunnico

Neo Member
My impressions so far: I started playing late at night, which was apparently not the best time to start playing ACNL, since all the shops were closed. So unfortunately there wasn't much for me to do after the introduction. Still, I immediately fell in love with the style of this game. The music, the characters, the dialogue, the sound effects - everything is so incredibly charming! It also reminded me a bit of Undertale. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Toby Fox was partly inspired by Animal Crossing. Today I played during the day, so the shops were open and I could experience my first taste of the gameplay loop: Collect stuff, sell stuff, buy stuff, occasionally visit the museum and donate stuff. I can definitely see the appeal in what at first glance just seems like busywork.

I also won furniture from a fortune cookie but then accidentally sold it at Re-Tail. But it turned out that the special item type for the day was furniture, so the Re-Tail lady paid double, which put me over 10,000 bells. Then I paid Tom Nook so I don't have to sleep in a tent anymore and apparently I can move into my new house tomorrow. So I guess everything worked out okay in the end?

I've also got a couple of questions. I could probably google the answers but I don't want to look at any guides or wikis yet and also I think it's fun to get opinions and information from the GAF Animal Crossing community directly.

Should I save MEOW coupons for something or feel free to just spend them whenever I like some of the furniture the camping guy sells?
And which items should I sell on the flea market? I did actually look that one up, so I know that the villagers pay more for them than Re-Tail does. I assume you sell all the common stuff like fruit and sea shells normally and then only put rare items on the flea market. Does that make sense?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
My impressions so far: I started playing late at night, which was apparently not the best time to start playing ACNL, since all the shops were closed. So unfortunately there wasn't much for me to do after the introduction. Still, I immediately fell in love with the style of this game. The music, the characters, the dialogue, the sound effects - everything is so incredibly charming! It also reminded me a bit of Undertale. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Toby Fox was partly inspired by Animal Crossing. Today I played during the day, so the shops were open and I could experience my first taste of the gameplay loop: Collect stuff, sell stuff, buy stuff, occasionally visit the museum and donate stuff. I can definitely see the appeal in what at first glance just seems like busywork.

I also won furniture from a fortune cookie but then accidentally sold it at Re-Tail. But it turned out that the special item type for the day was furniture, so the Re-Tail lady paid double, which put me over 10,000 bells. Then I paid Tom Nook so I don't have to sleep in a tent anymore and apparently I can move into my new house tomorrow. So I guess everything worked out okay in the end?

I've also got a couple of questions. I could probably google the answers but I don't want to look at any guides or wikis yet and also I think it's fun to get opinions and information from the GAF Animal Crossing community directly.

Should I save MEOW coupons for something or feel free to just spend them whenever I like some of the furniture the camping guy sells?
And which items should I sell on the flea market? I did actually look that one up, so I know that the villagers pay more for them than Re-Tail does. I assume you sell all the common stuff like fruit and sea shells normally and then only put rare items on the flea market. Does that make sense?

Just buy whatever seems interesting, doesn't matter too much unless you're using amiibo/amiibo cards and want something specific.

Villagers only buy stuff you put up at Re-Tail if they're physically present there, ping (get the white lines and the surprised look on their face), and walk up to the item, then you can talk to them and they'll ask you whether they should buy it or not.

Niraj

I have a beautiful statue, moving painting, jolly painting, worthy painting, fine painting, and flowery painting if anyone needs any of those

LoveCake

Any UK/EU players that I could add, I don't have anyone that I can contact anymore, I used to use SwapNote before it got cut to arrange to meet friends I had on 3DS, I did add a lot from some 3DS forum, I had some of them steal some of my Jacobs Ladder plants before as well :(

I can only get on most evening hence the UK/EU time request.

Unicorn

Finally did a system transfer from my 3DS XL to my N3DS. after 504 hours on an XL this simultaneously feels like a new iteration of my town, but also a smaller version. the consistent and stable 3D adds a whole lot of depth, but the smaller screen makes things feel cramped. Also, I feel like there's some ghosting and maybe that's the TN screen?

Also the side-access stylus of an XL was so much easier for moving things than awkwardly pulling the toothpick out from the bottom of the n3DS.

Can someone suggest me a good android app to keep track of the things I've collected so far / what I'm still missing / what you can collect in this season etc?

Niraj

13695542793_20dd79d8d7_o.png

13695544653_2b47261519_o.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hope everyone got their missing villager pictures during April Fools so they can get rid of them guilt free.

Persona7

Banned
Did Nintendo ever reprint those damn Welcome Amiibo cards? The previous sets are damn near endless yet I haven't seen the last series since launch. Literally never got a restock either.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A shame Harvey doesn't actually seem to stock all Welcome Amiibo items meaning a good majority are locked behind the cards.

I bought this when it came out, but got distracted by other games quickly. I just came back to it to find a bunch of amiibo stuff added. I started a new town and I walked up to one of the characters and they said something like 'It's a good day to collect figurines.' Were they talking about figurines in the game, or are my citizens actually trying to sell me amiibo?

I bought this when it came out, but got distracted by other games quickly. I just came back to it to find a bunch of amiibo stuff added. I started a new town and I walked up to one of the characters and they said something like 'It's a good day to collect figurines.' Were they talking about figurines in the game, or are my citizens actually trying to sell me amiibo?

They're trying to sell you amiibos lol

Unicorn

I wish this was ON Switch, I am having this problem. My poor mayor has bed hair again. :(
Best hair.

Seeing the AC track in Mario Kart has me really excited for the next game. Given the Wii U was skipped over (hopefully for the best if it gave the team more time to develop or create new and interesting things) the Switch game should be a blowout.

Robin64

Best hair.

Seeing the AC track in Mario Kart has me really excited for the next game. Given the Wii U was skipped over (hopefully for the best if it gave the team more time to develop or create new and interesting things) the Switch game should be a blowout.

I would be very dissapointed if it turned out to be another City Folk repeat, by which I mean almost identical in every way to the handheld version that preceeded it. But I have enough confidence they realised that was not what we want.

Unicorn

So.... was the Amiibo update to ACNL and consolation prize or bait and wait until the Switch AC?

What I mean is, did they have work going into an AC for Wii U (there was that free plaza thing that was then removed), but the short lifespan and work beginning on Switch put a cork on that project? Did they take some of the work they were doing - namely Amiibo integration - and just port it for 3DS with the New 3DS amiibo function to iron out that implementation while also not putting resources to waste while also also letting fans have something to tide them over for another ~year until E3 Animal Crossing news for Switch?

I'm glad ACNL has received basically almost 5 years of support and hope future titles receive the same amount (or MORE) of attention and continued support (Freely, please!), but I'm also cynical in that even though it was long in the tooth they added the update as a stop-gap due to Wii U failure.

All of that said, I am super hopeful that bodes well for the next entry. IF they had had a Wii U project (which, given the plaza side-thing, Happy Home Designer tool-set, and Amiibo Festival) where they were working on assets, HD implementation, amiibo, and all those bells and whistles, then I think a Switch version could be happening fairly soon and could be pretty robust given any work on Wii U would "easily" carry over to Switch (purely from MK8D and BotW port/development). All that time on Wii U development and side project for streamlining or refining of features IN ADDITION to whatever allocated time they may or may not add for Switch iteration could make for an even better base package than ACNL was.

I hope I'm not just hyping myself up to be disappointed by a City Folk-esque New Leaf: Welcome to the Amiibo City entry.

Elija2

I think I recall one of the people working on Animal Crossing saying that the games work best on a portable system, so maybe they never even began developing a full-fledged AC game on the Wii U.

They probably did the Amiibo update because they wanted to give people more reason to buy the AC Amiibos, and they just decided to port over some stuff from Happy Home Designer because why not. I'm sure it also led to a boost in sales for the game itself.

If it's true that the Switch is going to be Nintendo's only home/portable console for this generation, I'm expecting longtime support for the next AC game. And considering they listened to complaints and fixed a few things in the Amiibo update, I'm also expecting a lot of good improvements that should hopefully make it the best AC game ever.

Unicorn

I haven't had a chance, since basically release, to get back into custom patterns. I pretty quickly loaded up on path textures via QR codes and had to hold those on my character.

A little bit ago I made the time-sink jump into an alternate character to offload that burden and open up my slots to make designs again. I don't know what really inspired me to make this, but I was inspired today and spent about 2 hours looking at movie clips to catch the details. From my one of my top favorite movies (saw this multiple times in theaters):

I'm still looking for the right headpiece (have a handful of things ordered from Nook) to complete the look. Man, I hope the editors go all out in the next game and let us recolor or design more clothing options. Fuck yes for the completely custom palettes you can create now as something like this would have been impossible in previous games.

I sank so much time into custom patterns, making puzzles, themeing houses, and creating characters as overall town plans.

It's a serious time sink once you start to design a plausible room around the dumbest of furniture options.

Unicorn

Was looking into filling the last few slots of my museum and I'm missing mostly stuff from now until September (King Salmon).

Fucking I can't find a mosquito. The 3 times I looked away for a second I get bit. Fuck this shit.

Also, I have never caught a tarantula. I happened upon 1 last night and it wrecked me. I remember I spent 6 hours one night in Wild World and never found one (11-4 am in-season).

I'm cursed.

Niraj

Happy 4 years of service, launch-day mayors! First time I got the ceremony and the present legit made me tear up.

Good times. Hard to believe it's been four years already.

edit: so that sapling clock is a new anniversary item, must have come with the update. Nice.

piggychan

I don't have a 3DS anymore and today I was wondering why I was craving AC... I still have the wii and gamecube versions so put on City Folk. Wow I forgotten what a difference between ACNL and City Folk was.

Game runs really smooth on wii.

Top Bottom