• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animation & Video Game Artbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyRiven

It's been awhile since I posted, but I found a real treasure at Blizzcon this year! It's called "The Other Side of the Mists" and it's a Chinese WoW tribute artbook. The cover even has an interesting and kind of fuzzy texture to it!

BY58autCcAAAV7q.jpg:large

Here's some of the amazing artists featured in the book!

6kart
breathing2004
linxz2010
liuhao726

Really happy to add this to my collection of Blizzard artbooks. I also highly recommend The Art of Blizzard and the World of Warcraft Tribute artbooks, if you're looking for that sort of thing. :)

-PXG-

I just got the MGS 1.5 and MGS 2 books yesterday. My collection is pretty big now. I might post updated I pics.

My Frozen artbook just ship first time I use Amazon.com without a Forwarding service wonder how long it will take to get here also have no reference point for Disney Art-Books hoping to see a lot of unused scenery.

Anyone got the Last of Us art book? How's that?

Currently waiting on Design Works for Dark Souls. Hope it's good.

So far I've got:

The Art of Bioshock Infinite, The Art of Journey (my favourite), the making of Guild Wars 2, 2 of Hyrule Historia (Japanese version), and Okami Complete Works (this was my first ever - had it about 5 years or so now - Japanese again). Journey's my favourite, and up until now I thought it was going to end up being really rare, but it's just recently got a second print run I believe.

Wanted the Portal 2 art book, but that got scrapped.

LadyRiven

Journey's my favourite, and up until now I thought it was going to end up being really rare, but it's just recently got a second print run I believe.

I think the first print run of the Journey art book has more staff autographs in it than the 2nd, for what it's worth! I could be remembering wrong, though.

No Amazon listing (yet ?). Would you recommend using a proxy for this one ?

Yes, most definitely! Now I am totally biased towards Xenogears as it is my favorite RPG, but it has been my favorite game artbook in my collection for years.

this is a cool topic. I like this Nico guy. Looking through his website now.

If you like his work, I highly recommend the How to Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda artbooks. They are chock full of 2 page spreads covered in his magnificent sketches.

I'm sooo buying that! I've been wanting to buy it for a long time but the 15,000 Yen price tag kept me at a distance :p

I'm really glad that fans who missed out can finally obtain a copy at a reasonable price. My other pipe dream is to have it localised by Udon, but I think for now the epic fan translation will have to suffice.

I'm also very interested in what this could mean for the future of the Xeno-series, if anything. This book being re-published is really seemingly very random, but a welcome gift indeed. Speaking of which, I can't wait to hear any news whatsoever on the upcoming Monolift Soft X game for Wii U.

I'm really glad that fans who missed out can finally obtain a copy at a reasonable price. My other pipe dream is to have it localised by Udon, but I think for now the epic fan translation will have to suffice.

I'm also very interested in what this could mean for the future of the Xeno-series, if anything. This book being re-published is really seemingly very random, but a welcome gift indeed. Speaking of which, I can't wait to hear any news whatsoever on the upcoming Monolift Soft X game for Wii U.

I would love for a localized version too, but it sure would be a massive undertaking!
Same thing for the Xenosaga Ep I artbook I bought recently. Full of explanationsas if there was no tomorrow.

Next X showing I think it will be either during April's supposedly big Nintendo Direct or E3.

Futureman

If you like his work, I highly recommend the How to Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda artbooks. They are chock full of 2 page spreads covered in his magnificent sketches.

I think I will when I get some extra monies. I work at a bookstore and was looking through the Frozen art book the other day. I do character design as a hobby, fun stuff.

LadyRiven

I would love for a localized version too, but it sure would be a massive undertaking!
Same thing for the Xenosaga Ep I artbook I bought recently. Full of explanationsas if there was no tomorrow.

Next X showing I think it will be either during April's supposedly big Nintendo Direct or E3.

I'll be looking forward to that. I want a Wii U, but I'm basically holding out until there's a bunch of games I want it for, and X is the biggest one!

I also have the Xenosaga Ep 1 artbook. Now that you mention it, I wonder if there's a fan translation. There was an English one that was a pre-order bonus from GameStop when it came out, but I don't think it's a direct copy of the JP one.

I think I will when I get some extra monies. I work at a bookstore and was looking through the Frozen art book the other day. I do character design as a hobby, fun stuff.

Oh really? I'd love to see your work! I still need to see Frozen; I will probably want to get the art book right after I do. :)

I think the first print run of the Journey art book has more staff autographs in it than the 2nd, for what it's worth! I could be remembering wrong, though.

Really? I'll have to look that up. Gorgeous book though.

Just got the Dark Souls: Design Works through as well. It's got an interesting rough texture to the cover of the book - almost like sandpaper (but not quite as rough, obviously!). Plenty of concept art, but there seems to be a bit more final, fully rendered promotional art than I would have wanted. I dare not look through too much of it, because I've yet to see much of the game. If only they'd done one for Demon's Souls (I have actually finished that).

meijiko

Saw this thread bumped, which finally made me take pictures of my collection. Some of it I suppose is only tangentially related to animation/video games, but whatever.

KSL1p4A.jpg

This stack almost broke my poor coffee table.

gGO3Ekq.jpg

fzxVMLc.jpg

We've also got the English and Japanese versions of Hyrule Historia, but I ran out of space.

Pixiv has some of my most favorite artbooks in the world, as they highlight a ton of amateur artists I would never have seen otherwise. The variety of styles and subjects makes them well worth the price, though I'm behind in tracking down the latest books (there's no excuse for this; Kinokuniya is about a 50 minute bus ride away).

The Sky has to be my favorite art book set to ever be released stateside. I remember as a kid, playing FFVII for the first time, I saw some of Amano's work and I hated it. It wasn't nearly anime enough for me. Now I can't get enough of his work, and I've bought several of his other works just because it's Amano.

Kyne

Saw this thread bumped, which finally made me take pictures of my collection. Some of it I suppose is only tangentially related to animation/video games, but whatever.

*snip

We've also got the English and Japanese versions of Hyrule Historia, but I ran out of space.

Pixiv has some of my most favorite artbooks in the world, as they highlight a ton of amateur artists I would never have seen otherwise. The variety of styles and subjects makes them well worth the price, though I'm behind in tracking down the latest books (there's no excuse for this; Kinokuniya is about a 50 minute bus ride away).

The Sky has to be my favorite art book set to ever be released stateside. I remember as a kid, playing FFVII for the first time, I saw some of Amano's work and I hated it. It wasn't nearly anime enough for me. Now I can't get enough of his work, and I've bought several of his other works just because it's Amano.

I'm sort of surprised you don't have Dawn by Yoshitaka Amano. :eek: (had FF 1-4 artwork)

meijiko

I'm sort of surprised you don't have Dawn by Yoshitaka Amano. :eek: (had FF 1-4 artwork)

It's been on my wishlist forever, but I never got around to buying it for some reason. I still plan to get it, but it'd be a little redundant with The Sky I think.

Two other annuals worth checking out are EXPOSÉ and Spectrum - both feature art from artists all over the world in a variety of styles, and often you'll see art created for videogames and movies in them.

I am addicted to these now!

meijiko

Two other annuals worth checking out are EXPOSÉ and Spectrum - both feature art from artists all over the world in a variety of styles, and often you'll see art created for videogames and movies in them.

I am addicted to these now!

Oh man, thank you! I had no idea these existed.

B.K.

I need to get the 25th Memorial Ultimania Vol. 3. I have the first two, but haven't gotten the third yet.

I got my first Art Book a few days ago (Dark Souls: Design Works) and I really like it. So now I have ordered 2 more (Halo 4, The Last of Us) and I think I'm gonna start a collection. Nothing fancy, just some games, films, etc. that I liked graphically. The list is growing pretty fast though, Okami and How to train your Dragon are next (in February)

BTW: Does anyone know if there is an Art Book for the 2008 Prince of Persia?

LadyRiven

I'm going to have to look up Femina Fauna! I started following Camilla d'Errico on Facebook just a few months ago. I'm also a huge pixiv nut, and I love the pixiv Girls collections especially because of how much full page artwork they have. I'm actually behind on the annuals and also the girls books now, but since I plan to cut back on anime figures this year, maybe I'll end up buying more art books. ;O

As for posting artbooks that aren't entirely game/animation related, I'm always very happy to see those too. I'm crazy about 'em all!

Edit: First post updated w/upcoming releases and such.

LadyRiven

I got a nice surprise at Barnes and Noble this week! I found this book I'd been meaning to buy for awhile in with the bargain books! It's definitely worth this price and then some.

They also had "Harry Potter Page to Screen", which is a MONSTER-sized book on the Harry Potter films, for ~$20. It originally retails for $75, but I already had a copy so I didn't grab one of the sale ones. Just a heads up if anyone's been wanting either of them but hasn't wanted to spend the money.

Edit: Oh yeah, they had Star Wars: Frames for $50 too!

B.K.

There are a few books I want to buy, but they're all out of print. Amazon's marketplace sellers have them pretty cheap, but they don't ship internationally. Some of the marketplace listings though say they're fulfilled by Amazon. If they're fulfilled by Amazon, that means they'll ship internationally, right?

LadyRiven

There are a few books I want to buy, but they're all out of print. Amazon's marketplace sellers have them pretty cheap, but they don't ship internationally. Some of the marketplace listings though say they're fulfilled by Amazon. If they're fulfilled by Amazon, that means they'll ship internationally, right?

I *think* so, but I'm not positive. I would email Amazon's customer service to find out!

Nice, looks like Ys: The Art Book is releasing this Friday (so Monday for two-day shipping on Amazon).

Wasn't expecting that for another month at least.

Toad.T

Banned
I would so love it if they somehow put out the Marioverse equivalent to Hyrule Historia. But the odds of that happening are about as good as. McDonalds going bankrupt. Alas.

Fireblend

Banned
I want so many of these, but in the end they're not a priority so I've resisted buying them.

- The Pixar one
- The Okami one
- The Frozen one
- The Ghibli one
- The Wolf Children one
- The Sky (FF one)

T_T

esterk

Great thread, love me some art books. Some of my favorite are the books of Kazuma Kaneko. He does some really cool design work for SMT and the art books are nice hardcover that contain one piece a page. Very classy.

I want so many of these, but in the end they're not a priority so I've resisted buying them.

- The Pixar one
- The Okami one
- The Frozen one
- The Ghibli one
- The Wolf Children one
- The Sky (FF one)

T_T

If Amazon or the like haven't jacked up the price, pick up The Sky. The packaging alone is worth the price along with the artbooks.

Mistle

I have a heap of Disney/Pixar "Art Of" books. Some better than others, but they're all awesome. Also have Bioshock Infinite's and the Zelda Historia

Laieon

I really wish Disney would reprint some of their older Art Books. I would absolutely love "The Art of Tarzan", "The Art of Mulan", and the "The Art of Hercules", I just can't find them at an affordable price anywhere...

Meesh

I'm new to collecting and admiring art books, sadly all I have to show for it yet is:

*Monster Hunter Illustrations book 2
*Eyes of Bayonetta.
* :( (my sad face of not owning more books)

Thinking about picking up something Ghibli though.

LadyRiven

I really wish Disney would reprint some of their older Art Books. I would absolutely love "The Art of Tarzan", "The Art of Mulan", and the "The Art of Hercules", I just can't find them at an affordable price anywhere...

I agree, and I think they would sell really well, too! The Art of the Lion King was one of my first art books. They should re-release the books when they re-release the movies every few years.

Acrylic7

I agree, and I think they would sell really well, too! The Art of the Lion King was one of my first art books. They should re-release the books when they re-release the movies every few years.

I actually saw the Lion King art book a few weeks ago at a thrift store but I was broke. So I just got the Hunchback of NotreDame art book instead. It was significantly cheaper. Man I hope its still there when I get paid.

LadyRiven

I actually saw the Lion King art book a few weeks ago at a thrift store but I was broke. So I just got the Hunchback of NotreDame art book instead. It was significantly cheaper. Man I hope its still there when I get paid.

Sweet score! I can't say I've ever found any art book gems at a second hand store; closest thing I've found is a couple of the Escaflowne film manga really cheap. I was pretty happy about it since it's my all-time favorite anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom