• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Summer 08 - Show info and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Blassreiter finally ended :( Such a underrated show.

Clevinger said:
I'm a little late, but damn Baccano! was good. The most I've enjoyed anime in a long, long time.

Is there any hope for a second season?
I don't think so since the DVDs were included lots of extra episodes of the aftermath and future.

Fireblend

Banned
So, I for one can't fathom how Geass fans will defend the show's last episode. What a trainwreck, it wasn't even nearly as amusing as it could have been (I was really hoping for some sort of deus-ex-machina time-traveling plot device, but no D:). Anyway I'm glad that shitty show is over and can't wait for superior Gundam to begin. fuck taniguchi, Sunrise = master trolls, etc, etc...

Clevinger said:
I'm a little late, but damn Baccano! was good. The most I've enjoyed anime in a long, long time.

Is there any hope for a second season?
I could only dream for a second season of Baccano :( if it wasn't for Gurren Lagann it would be my favorite show from last year for sure. I'd be more than content if a translation to the novels was announced; maybe now that the show's been licensed it will be more likely... and there's so much content from the novels that a second season isn't that unlikely, we can only hope...

Bebpo

Banned
Well, I guess that was a slightly better ending than SEED-DESTINY. The show still doesn't make much sense, and the finale was empty and emotionless because again there was no motivations behind the characters involved, but the final 5 mins or so was at least AN ENDING unlike Destiny.

It's still weird how they basically threw the original plot about C.C. & Geass powers out the window and just went off on some other tangent for the ending. I would've liked to see how Taniguchi originally envisioned the plot.

Maybe they'll fix it in Super Robot Wars like they're fixing Destiny in various games by re-writing the plot into a normal flowing plot that has logic.

ending spoiler:
It's still a shame the show couldn't just have Lelouch WIN. It would've been ballsy to have an L-like character that Lelouche was last season who is vicious and evil in his quest towards his goal, actually win and get away with it. But instead they went the cookie-cutter way which is like L, any protagonist who is a little evil has to die in the end. *shrug*

I actually think the only way they could've saved the ending is to do a "OMG I WOKE UP AND THE ENTIRE SHOW WAS A DREAM" ending, since then it wouldn't have to have made sense.

More importantly...
GUNDAM NEXT WEEK. FUCK YES!

Defuser

I'll bet there will be a Code Geass movie/OVA to clear the rest of the stuff up,they still left too much stuff hanging.

What's CC real name? or what about the Geass cult? oh,for a final finale,it sure have some bad animation at the end.

Anyway,I'm glad thats over and next is Gundam 00!!!

Pellham

Banned
Bebpo said:
Well, I guess that was a slightly better ending than SEED-DESTINY. The show still doesn't make much sense, and the finale was empty and emotionless because again there was no motivations behind the characters involved, but the final 5 mins or so was at least AN ENDING unlike Destiny.

It's still weird how they basically threw the original plot about C.C. & Geass powers out the window and just went off on some other tangent for the ending. I would've liked to see how Taniguchi originally envisioned the plot.

Maybe they'll fix it in Super Robot Wars like they're fixing Destiny in various games by re-writing the plot into a normal flowing plot that has logic.

ending spoiler:
It's still a shame the show couldn't just have Lelouch WIN. It would've been ballsy to have an L-like character that Lelouche was last season who is vicious and evil in his quest towards his goal, actually win and get away with it. But instead they went the cookie-cutter way which is like L, any protagonist who is a little evil has to die in the end. *shrug*

I actually think the only way they could've saved the ending is to do a "OMG I WOKE UP AND THE ENTIRE SHOW WAS A DREAM" ending, since then it wouldn't have to have made sense.

More importantly...
GUNDAM NEXT WEEK. FUCK YES!

Uhh I think you meant
Light, not L
? Cause last time I checked, that character you mentioned didn't have any evil in him.

Lelouch planned his death, so I don't think it's really the same. He only did it after losing everything, so it's somewhat understandable, though I think the writers could have come up with a better ending/plot. It could have been worse though. He could have ended up with Kallen or something stupid like that.

Lelouch did not die, fucking sunrise is trolling you guys seriously. Their going to milk this series till the cows come home. Fucking Horo ending indeed.

Jason

Moyashimon manga has been licensed by Del Rey.
rock.gif

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ets-moyashimon-amefurashi-maid-war-chronicles

B.K.

Bebpo said:
I would've liked to see how Taniguchi originally envisioned the plot.

Originally envisioned? Was the plot changed during development?

Prime crotch said:
Anyone else saw Eve no Jikan? It's like an Assimov story if he were alive and hooked up on anime drugs.

I want to watch it. It looks interesting. I'm going to wait until more episodes are subbed before downloading it though.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'm surprised that after all this convoluted crap story they at least managed to have a good ending for Geass. It wasn't amazing, but at least they didn't leave themselves open for a sequel like the vast majority of anime does. Well done.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I felt Geass' last episode lacked something. It was a decent finale, but it wasn't as entertaining as it may have been. Kind of mad that
Prickzaku "won"
, in its own creeped out way.

NeonZ

R2 Final episode spoilers

ending spoiler:It's still a shame the show couldn't just have Lelouch WIN. It would've been ballsy to have an L-like character that Lelouche was last season who is vicious and evil in his quest towards his goal, actually win and get away with it. But instead they went the cookie-cutter way which is like L, any protagonist who is a little evil has to die in the end. *shrug*

Lelouch probably isn't dead. When Nunnally touched him, she saw his memories, an ability that only had been shown by CC, so, he must have received her Code. CC probably was talking to him directly in the final scene, not just thinking out loud.

Anyway, Code Geass ended up rather forgettable, after all. It was a fun ride, but that's it.

Deadly

What the hell is CC's real name? Seriously how could they forget about that?! I'm hoping on some picture drama epilogue or an OVA epilogue of some sort.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
NeonZ said:
Anyway, Code Geass ended up rather forgettable, after all. It was a fun ride, but that's it.

On second thoughts, this ending could have been a lot worse. It could have been Macross Frontier's last episode.

Barrage

Bebpo said:
ending spoiler:
]

Bu he did win, essentially. The only reason he didn't remain Emporer of the friggin' world is because he didn't want to be. Who was gonna overthrow him? Ogi?

And yeah, there will be speculation that he somehow lived-especially since you never see the face of who's driving the Carriage.

Still, they left too many unanswered questions, and didn't develop certain characters at all-Anya and Geno in particular.

B.K.

Barrage said:
And yeah, there will be speculation that he somehow lived-especially since you never see the face of who's driving the Carriage.

Not to mention that the final scene makes it appear that C.C. was talking to Lelouch, like she did with Marianne.

Bebpo

Banned
Barrage said:
Bu he did win, essentially. The only reason he didn't remain Emporer of the friggin' world is because he didn't want to be. Who was gonna overthrow him? Ogi?

Still, they left too many unanswered questions, and didn't develop certain characters at all-Anya and Geno in particular.

There's different kinds of win though. The haha, I win by sacrificing myself according to plan is just NOT Lelouch's character and not very satisfying.

Satisfying win would've been if he killed the Emperor and became the new emperor and laughed it off...the end.

I think a different ending they could've done would have been for Lelouch to beat the emperor, become the new emperor, be a dictator for realz (no bullshit zero requiem) and then ironically a rebellion rises up against him that mirrors his rise against the previous emperor and the cycle repeats.

Anyhow, I think the "Zero Requiem" plotline idea was what completely destroyed the final few eps.

Pellham

Banned
Bebpo said:
There's different kinds of win though. The haha, I win by sacrificing myself according to plan is just NOT Lelouch's character and not very satisfying.

Satisfying win would've been if he killed the Emperor and became the new emperor and laughed it off...the end.

I think a different ending they could've done would have been for Lelouch to beat the emperor, become the new emperor, be a dictator for realz (no bullshit zero requiem) and then ironically a rebellion rises up against him that mirrors his rise against the previous emperor and the cycle repeats.

Anyhow, I think the "Zero Requiem" plotline idea was what completely destroyed the final few eps.

I agree, it would have been awesome if Lelouch just stayed as emperor til the end.

Man now i'm going to be depressed that such an awesome ending did not occur.

Barrage

Bebpo said:

The problem with that is that the show always focused on it's (admittedly) bloated supporting cast...an ending of Lelouch sitting on the throne would've not only had people going "wait wat happened to X and Y" but also would make the same mistake of ignoring the CC Geass stuff that the real ending did.

I think the Zero Requiem stuff was just the writers saying "fuck it" and dishing out fan service because they knew the fanbase wanted to see Lelouch and Suzaku team up. It did make the last few episodes muddled, but I don't think it ruined them.

On the bright side, we can now show off our lists of characters who should've stayed dead!

Mine:
Cornelia
Guiltford
Ogi

Off the top of my head, more'll come later.

BTW Orange would've been on the list if he didn't go completely badass in the final ep. He was the highlight of the finale (well, him and the music.)

Bebpo

Banned
I found it funny how NO ONE DIED during the giant war finale even though characters were getting blown up left and right.

It's like they wanted to do a Gundam final war battle but wanted to keep it happy.

Dave1988

Well, whadda you know? Code Geass ended better than I had anticipated. I'll remember CC as a funny trainwreck instead of total shit.

Also,
Lulu kicking the bucket (or is he? Lesser characters survived nukes so why should a puny sword wound kill the protagonist?)
was so obvious after the last week's preview.

Barrage

Bebpo said:
I found it funny how NO ONE DIED during the giant war finale even though characters were getting blown up left and right.

It's like they wanted to do a Gundam final war battle but wanted to keep it happy.

Odd how the show kept semi-useless charcters like Ogi and the japenese general dude whose name escapes me live 'till the end, but killed a character like Rolo who was interesting so early.

jman2050

Code Geass "peaked" at episode 22.

The only thing that would've been more predictable than Lelouch offing himself would be a reset ending. Anyway, glad that funny trainwreck is over :lol

Dali

Blimblim said:
I'm surprised that after all this convoluted crap story they at least managed to have a good ending for Geass. It wasn't amazing, but at least they didn't leave themselves open for a sequel like the vast majority of anime does. Well done.
You say that, but wait until they find all the Dragon Balls. Code Geass Season 3 comin' at cha!

edit: I don't really care that some of you ass bags didn't make any attempt to hide the ending as I don't watch or plan on watching Code Geass. Just FYI that's a real dick thing to do.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Let's watch CG's finale. I'll post impressions and determine if CG did end up being a train wreck (hey, I like it) or will be something entertaining at least.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
It wasn't that bad. They did bring the series to a conclusion, and even though there are some ties left it was still a good finale. This one episode seems to "fix" what many thought was broken after 22. At the end, I still like CG as a series and I rank it as one of my favorites. Not the best ever of course (hai there Gurren Lagan and Hajime no Ippo!) but definitely did it's purpose.... entertain.

Now... GUNDAAAAAAAM ZEROOOO ZEROOOOOOOOO

Oh and he's definitely alive

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Des0lar said:
Meh, I liked the CG ending. Don't care if there's a season 3.

Season 3 would be pushing it. There's no need. They did give us a "satisfying" finale in the sense the plotline of the rebellion was closed.

S. L.

the CG finale hat a strong (uc) gundam vibe to me minus the 'everyone dies'.
i thought it was quite satisfying.

lets hope they also manage to turn 00 around into something more memorable

Relix said:
It wasn't that bad. They did bring the series to a conclusion, and even though there are some ties left it was still a good finale. This one episode seems to "fix" what many thought was broken after 22. At the end, I still like CG as a series and I rank it as one of my favorites. Not the best ever of course (hai there Gurren Lagan and Hajime no Ippo!) but definitely did it's purpose.... entertain.

Now... GUNDAAAAAAAM ZEROOOO ZEROOOOOOOOO

Oh and he's definitely alive
me too, Now i have nothing to watch on sundays hmm i hope Gundam 00 season 2 isn't as boring as the last part of the first season.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
flintstryker said:
me too, Now i have nothing to watch on sundays hmm i hope Gundam 00 season 2 isn't as boring as the last part of the first season.

Opposite for me. I really got hooked into Gundam 00 after Ep 11 and the last ones were my favorite. Code Geass will still hold a spot on my heart for one of the most exciting and entertaining anime, especially with the top notch production values (Season 2 oozed money) and the kick ass music score.

Tamanon

Banned
Relix said:
Season 3 would be pushing it. There's no need. They did give us a "satisfying" finale in the sense the plotline of the rebellion was closed.

I'm thinking if anything they'll have an OVA.

duckroll

The Birdy ending was...... about as good as they could have made it knowing there's another season starting in Jan I guess. I wonder if they're saving budget for the next season too. It seems that while there were some pretty large scale events towards the end, it was kinda low-key in terms of action/animation/direction. I'm still looking forward to the next season, but that was kinda a let down of a "finale". It was entertaining, and not much more.

Relix said:
Opposite for me. I really got hooked into Gundam 00 after Ep 11 and the last ones were my favorite. Code Geass will still hold a spot on my heart for one of the most exciting and entertaining anime, especially with the top notch production values (Season 2 oozed money) and the kick ass music score.
true watching code geass really gets the blood pumping only few other animes have done it as awesome as geass (Guren Lagan, Hajime no ippo etc.)

Ronok

I actually really liked the Code Geass ending and although it is probably just my head being clouded by illness I thought it was pretty sad.

ending spoiler:

Lelouche was never really vicious and evil. He gave off an image of being such, but, he never really had evil intentions. :-/ For him to suddenly decide to control the world like that would be stupid.

Defuser

duckroll said:
The Birdy ending was...... about as good as they could have made it knowing there's another season starting in Jan I guess. I wonder if they're saving budget for the next season too. It seems that while there were some pretty large scale events towards the end, it was kinda low-key in terms of action/animation/direction. I'm still looking forward to the next season, but that was kinda a let down of a "finale". It was entertaining, and not much more.
I know what you mean,it didn't give quite a impact since that thing is destroying a city was resolved fast plus the villain died way too early.

Anyway just 6 more days till Gundam 00!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom