• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Annoying shenanigans in old PC games.

StereoVsn

I can play Deus Ex happily on my Series X, not that's the point.

I still have the likes of these and all won't play on my modern PC (without work around) so its wrong IMO for DF to make out the PC is the BC King

t0e4qOv.jpg

TMLKbv3.jpeg
I am not certain about your point about the games here? You should be able to get most of them working on PC. Get a optical or floppy drive, copy the files, find instructions on what you need to do and run them?

I can show you my library of PS1, PS2, and PS3 games that will not run on my PS5 no matter what I try. How about I throw in some Saturn, or Dreamcast games which won’t run on anything modern either. Or my collection on Nintendo games that won’t run on a Switch.

Most games (at least the more popular ones) from the picture above you could get to run on PC… alongside with vast majority of console games from previous generations .

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Played AC3 on W11 with no issues. The trick? Well first be aware that I don't encourage piracy, if you can you should ALWAYS buy your games.

BUT

For old games like AC3 the best solution is to play with a crack, like that the game launched and performed just fine. It's true for many old games.

yamaci17

I often fix very old dx7-9 games with dgvoodoo. you get proper alt tab, higher resolution etc. Get familiar with dgvoodoo, it will help with very old games a lot

Dx9 games, I often use dxvk, then dxgi swapchain setting on NVIDIA to ensure I can get perfect VRR with those games as well (I hate vsync, even for old games. I'd prefer VRR do the syncing at any framerate, capped or not)

Aside from that, if a game is really stubborn or not support gamepad, I take the emulation route

Also AC 3 not running "specifically" in Windows 11 is bullshit. The game ran fine on W10 since 2015 or so. And both Windows 10 and 11 share the same OS core. Like, there's literally nothing different betweem that can cause the game to not run all of a sudden. This is not 2000s anymore. One thing w11 has over w10 is optimization for windowed games and it actually makes older games MORE compatible with modern systems than windows 11

LVwQ1nX.png

What this setting does is it can promote dx11 games to modern flip models where you get perfect VRR and alt tab compatability and low input lag. This way you don't have to run dx11 games with fullscreen exclusive mode where alt tabbing is horrible. You can run them borderless or windowed and this setting will promote them to the new flip model presentation

I will install ac 3 this night to prove a point. Even if there's a problem, I'm sure it will take mere minutes to fix it

Last edited:

Krathoon

Played AC3 on W11 with no issues. The trick? Well first be aware that I don't encourage piracy, if you can you should ALWAYS buy your games.

BUT

For old games like AC3 the best solution is to play with a crack, like that the game launched and performed just fine. It's true for many old games.
Yeah. I think it was the DRM that was the problem. They probably did not update it.

StereoVsn

If you want to play old PC games on your new hardware, you have to buy them again, like in GOG.

Same thing people bitch about on console.
You really do not need to do that. GoG just does the legwork for you. Hell sometimes they run outdated versions of software that helps games run and there are better options out there.

On consoles unless you hack the crap out of your PS5 on the older firmware it’s not going to run the PlayStation games before PS4.

Edit: Also, DRM is often the primary reason for various issues like the others said. It pisses me off to no extent when companies don’t even bother to strip it out from their older titles and even more so when they push new and shitty DRM to old titles (hey Capcom, fuck you).

Last edited:

Crayon

I've heard a lot of old games will run more reliably through proton/wine than native. I haven't compared with windows but it makes sense to me.

BlackTron

If you want to play old PC games on your new hardware, you have to buy them again, like in GOG.

Same thing people bitch about on console.

Even if this were true (it isn't), the selection of old games available on PC is not even a contest compared to consoles. On console, it's news to get games like Battlefront on Switch. On PC, that's not news. All those games are already there several times over. Both the original release and the Steam/GOG/whatever ones. From eternities ago.

I played Starcraft/Broodwar using a folder with mounted disk images my friends all used to play LAN back in the day (it made sure we were on same version) right up until I finally bought the "remaster" on sale for conveniences' sake. It was still working on Windows 7. I still have that image/my disks in case something happens to my bnet account 🤷‍♂️

If you think selecting compatibility from a drop-down is bad, I installed OTVDM to make my PC run 16-bit applications like Chip's Challenge. Here's the thing...it took 2 minutes of finding something on the Internet and using it, and I actually had the option to do it on a PC. You won't make your PS or Xbox do this no matter what you do; "just working" is not a requirement for being king of BC, actually doing the job is.

P.S. I thought this thread would be about annoying design choices in old PC games. Not that you need to fiddle with them to make em work on a 20-30 year new hardware. "Shenanigans!"

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Automatic voice language selection based on system language and zero options from menu was so awful that it alone made me PC player almost exclusively, having the choice of changing the language using a mod or (as i did most of the time) manually changing game files almost in any game I played was crucial for me.

Having to skip games due to that impossibility was sad but preferred than ruining my experience, and being stuck in nasty combinations like anime + English voices (or Spanish voices just because I wanted Spanish text) had always been a NO for me, a complete skip, even on 3DS and Wii I rather had my consoles hacked so I could play Undub versions so I don't skip games.

Luckily that's almost never the case these days and games on PC and consoles these days will let you change text and voice languages independently in the menu or at least voice language.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Compared to no bc on other consoles or limited bc like on Xbox (only some part of library)?

Pc gamers can access pcgamingwiki and make pretty much every old game work on their system.
To add to this, some games even run better than how they did back then, specially thanks to community patches with Thief Deadly Shadows being a good example of this.

Compared to no bc on other consoles or limited bc like on Xbox (only some part of library)?

Pc gamers can access pcgamingwiki and make pretty much every old game work on their system.
That's being selective mind and I 'talked' of workarounds not that I get Geoff Crammond F1 to work at all and there are workarounds on consoles if you want to hack them. Some clever people have used the 360 original BC for OG Xbox to make more games available

It is not the case on the PC that I can put some of my old PC games in they play fine, like what DF and the like make out.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That's being selective mind and I 'talked' of workarounds not that I get Geoff Crammond F1 to work at all and there are workarounds on consoles if you want to hack them. Some clever people have used the 360 original BC for OG Xbox to make more games available

It is not the case on the PC that I can put some of my old PC games in they play fine, like what DF and the like make out.

I think the bigger issue is predictability. If I have a PS3 console, I know I can put a PS3 game in and it'll work fine. Keeping a PS3 on-hand is totally reasonable. Relying on BC can be a bit iffy, depending, but there's a viable option that you know will play the game as intended, which is... use the original hardware. BC's gotten a lot better with the current generation, to the point where running a PS4 game on PS5 is very reliable and won't even introduce additional input lag or anything like that, which is pretty impressive.

With an old PC game, it's not always so clear. You can try it on modern hardware, but the DRM or something else might have broken it completely, or it could be something like Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow where, with tweaks, it can mostly work but there are a bunch of graphical elements that are messed up. Or maybe the sound won't work properly because it's not intended to be run at 192khz audio, or maybe the Aureal or EAX surround option won't work anymore. Who knows? But if you were to try and solve this by, say, building a dedicated PC just for games from around that era, you run into the issue of "when does a new version of Windows, a new video card, or a new sound card break compatibility with something?" And that's not a clear answer. You're probably going to want a video card that can run games from that era like a dream, but going with a contemporary option might give you lackluster performance and going with a newer option might break some of the older games. And all of that is looking past the point that really, it'd be nice if it just *worked* without having to solve a bunch of issues that may or may not have well-documented solutions.

Krathoon

Really, I like the original Ultima 7 games in DOSBox. I am not much on the Exult engine.

I don't think it 100% runs the game right.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think the bigger issue is predictability. If I have a PS3 console, I know I can put a PS3 game in and it'll work fine. Keeping a PS3 on-hand is totally reasonable. Relying on BC can be a bit iffy, depending, but there's a viable option that you know will play the game as intended, which is... use the original hardware. BC's gotten a lot better with the current generation, to the point where running a PS4 game on PS5 is very reliable and won't even introduce additional input lag or anything like that, which is pretty impressive.

With an old PC game, it's not always so clear. You can try it on modern hardware, but the DRM or something else might have broken it completely, or it could be something like Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow where, with tweaks, it can mostly work but there are a bunch of graphical elements that are messed up. Or maybe the sound won't work properly because it's not intended to be run at 192khz audio, or maybe the Aureal or EAX surround option won't work anymore. Who knows? But if you were to try and solve this by, say, building a dedicated PC just for games from around that era, you run into the issue of "when does a new version of Windows, a new video card, or a new sound card break compatibility with something?" And that's not a clear answer. You're probably going to want a video card that can run games from that era like a dream, but going with a contemporary option might give you lackluster performance and going with a newer option might break some of the older games. And all of that is looking past the point that really, it'd be nice if it just *worked* without having to solve a bunch of issues that may or may not have well-documented solutions.
Wait are you saying keeping 20 odd consoles in working condition is easier than having to look up some fixes?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Back in the day, you needed to manually install joystick and mouse drivers (I believe Win 95 solved it?). Not only was it a hassle for my brother who handled the family PC back in like 1991, but those drivers ate up performance. I was more of a console gamer back then, but I remember my bro getting pissed when things wouldnt install properly or game performance tanked when it was installed.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Back in the day, you needed to manually install joystick and mouse drivers (I believe Win 95 solved it?). Not only was it a hassle for my brother who handled the family PC back in like 1991, but those drivers ate up performance. I was more of a console gamer back then, but I remember my bro getting pissed when things wouldnt install properly or game performance tanked when it was installed.
Yeah PC gaming used to be a lot more hassle in general. Soundcard drivers I remember being a real pain.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
If we're going to move the goalposts, then sure. A lot of older PC games are going to be stuck at low resolutions, have stuttering issues, have audio issues, have a propensity to crash, etc.
Move goalposts? You don't know that PC basic BC features (that should be basic on consoles too) includes improvements in resolution, frame rate, etc???

And how many games will be stuck at low resolutions, stuttering issues, etc, without workarounds?

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Move goalposts? You don't know that PC basic BC features (that should be basic on consoles too) includes improvements in resolution, frame rate, etc???

And how many games will be stuck at low resolutions, stuttering issues, etc, without workarounds?

A lot. There's theory, which is that PC should be able to endlessly enhance old games, and then there's the reality. Admittedly, it depends on how far back you're going, but anything pre-2000 is going to be iffy. And if it requires Dosbox, that's all but guaranteed to be a mess.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah PC gaming used to be a lot more hassle in general. Soundcard drivers I remember being a real pain.
When my bro had issues getting things to work, his most pissed state of mind wouldnt even be cussing or retrying. That's when he was at his most calm state because he'd sit there and keep trying as I'd watch in anticipation of the gae or driver working so we could try it out.

He was most pissed off when he'd try and fail to get it to work (or the performance tanked so bad), that he'd literally just shut off the PC, get up from his chair in dead silence and leave the room. Wouldnt say a word. He'd then try after dinner again or the next day.

LOL

Another time he got pissed was when he bought a $50 Epyx joystick and it broke after a few months. That was when I had Genesis and SNES and those consoles and gamepads were built like tanks and never broke.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
A lot. There's theory, which is that PC should be able to endlessly enhance old games, and then there's the reality. Admittedly, it depends on how far back you're going, but anything pre-2000 is going to be iffy. And if it requires Dosbox, that's all but guaranteed to be a mess.
Examples? And is more than consoles?

pre 2000 8k GZDoom is iffy, indeed. /s

pepodmc_

Things like this are why the whole "PC has infinite backwards compatibility" notion is nonsense. There's a lot of annoyances, both major and minor, in getting many old games working, and plenty just straight up won't work on modern machines or hardware.

Anyway, I think the most annoying would be anything involving Games for Windows Live. Some games refused to save after a certain point in time, and others are flat-out broken. An absolute drain on PC gaming, courtesy of Microsoft trying to "support" PC gaming.
The infinite backwards compatibility still exist even in those cases, out of the box

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yes. Let me explain, for example, how getting a Sega Saturn up and running works:

Plug it in.
Except when capacitors leak, clock battery (think it was soldered) needs to be replaced, PSU goes belly up and more.

Maintaining old consoles in proper working condition isn’t a joke. It’s a fun hobby, but it ain’t just “plug it in”. Also since we are talking about BC, where are you plugging in the SEGA Megadrive cart?

Except when capacitors leak, clock battery (think it was soldered) needs to be replaced, PSU goes belly up and more.

Maintaining old consoles in proper working condition isn’t a joke. It’s a fun hobby, but it ain’t just “plug it in”. Also since we are talking about BC, where are you plugging in the SEGA Megadrive cart?
Man.. keep crossing my fingers my consoles all running spiffily back to NES and SMS. Well, a Game Gear died on me but that's about it so far. I know time isn't on my side, but getting X or Y running again shouldn't be the worst thing.

But I also love playing all my old PC games. Both options are nice and I use them both (PC and original hardware).

StereoVsn

Man.. keep crossing my fingers my consoles all running spiffily back to NES and SMS. Well, a Game Gear died on me but that's about it so far. I know time isn't on my side, but getting X or Y running again shouldn't be the worst thing.

But I also love playing all my old PC games. Both options are nice and I use them both (PC and original hardware).
I think Famicom/NES, Megadrive/Genesis, and SFamicom/SNES are simpler so have less shit to go wrong.

PSX, N64, Saturn, OG Xbox, Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube all potentially have more issues. And let’s not forget X360 and PS3.

And man, GBA, GameGear, TurboGrafx Portable and other handhelds can easily have problems as well.

It’s always a good idea to open them up and eyeball internal batteries, capacitors and PSUs. Especially if you get a used system, don’t just boot it up.

Edit: One thing I don’t mess around too much is original PC hardware. I built couple of systems, one Win98 and one XP, but haven’t used them much. Really need to get a decent 4x3 LCD or a CRT monitor at some point.

Edit 2: Really wish I stuck some of my CRT TVs/Monitors and 4x3 LCDs in storage and just kept them :(. Then again I also wish I got into bitcoin when it was starting out and a coworker was telling everyone to start mining. 😉

Last edited:
Top Bottom