• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anonymous poster on Operation Sports reveals all about Joe Montana 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think (hope?) that if these rumors are true, or kind of true, or especially if they are completely false, the marketing/pr team involved is scrambling to change their campaign and get ahead of this.

You dont want the only info about your game to be some random rumors on a forum, especially if they are completely false/misleading. For instance if the rumors oversell the game and higher expectations, youd want to get in front of that. If this is just a glorified mobile game, i wouldnt want people thinking im about to announce a AAA madden killer

So hopefully we hear whats really going on sooner rather than later

Sounds like a job interview setup Question. Where your biggest weakness is actually your biggest strength. Setup to seem like the game is a mess but then the M Night twist is.. it is awesome? Dude can't sit by and just let them feed us info slower than he wants? Is that the whole point of this? This seems fake or just planted positive press. I don't have an XBOX so I can't get it but I don't buy Madden games either. I will be interested to see how it turns out. NFL is a huge audience and this could be a real money maker. EA won't be happy.

Derpyduck

Banned
I don't even like NFL but the hyperbole is interesting. I suppose that I'm wondering why MS would go up against Madden if they didn't have a viable game - they will be crushed if it doesn't pass muster.

Let's all leave this quote here for now and revisit it in 3 months time.

Given MS's close relationship with EA, I don't think releasing a competitive NFL game to rival EA's Madden is something EA would welcome.

flkraven

Hmmm. It's quite telling that Madden 15 is already in EA Access. I wonder if they were prediciting this level of competition.

Sounds like a job interview setup Question. Where your biggest weakness is actually your biggest strength. Setup to seem like the game is a mess but then the M Night twist is.. it is awesome? Dude can't sit by and just let them feed us info slower than he wants? Is that the whole point of this? This seems fake or just planted positive press. I don't have an XBOX so I can't get it but I don't buy Madden games either. I will be interested to see how it turns out. NFL is a huge audience and this could be a real money maker. EA won't be happy.

Good! Its about time someone did something about that.

Tobor

So a game we've never seen a screenshot of is releasing in 4 months and it's the best football game ever made and is a holy grail for Microsoft and will crush EA and win the console war.

Uh huh.

Sounds like HipHopGamer was right all those months ago. He started talking about a new NFL2K game, then everything went hush. Sounds like this is what he saw.

Majanew

Banned
Montana is no longer relevant so I doubt this is true at all.

a brand now.

Lol. People that like the NFL know who Montana is as he's brought up every single season because he's considered the greatest QB of all-time. Was even talked about this year during Brady's trip to the Super Bowl. If this info is legit, once people become aware of the game and that it's the NFL and not some make believe league, it should sell well. Unless it sucks.

The info about the graphics and animations is great. I like that sweat pools up on the players. Just need the rain to bead up on the helmets and drip down.

Please let this be true. Madden needs some damn competition!

I really want this to be true. I love football and football games, but Madden has been not worth buying for years IMO and I only played 25 and 15 because they were on EA access. Give us a viable alternative to Madden please

Yes, but it won't be Microsoft. I don't think they would dare.

To be fair, they sort of have an excuse since they paid half a billion for "something" from the NFL, doubt it was just fantasy sports.
If they explicitly went and just bought the license, that would look obvious, but this way they can say it was included in that price and they HAVE to do something with it. Play it like they were forced to do it. Poor MS. :)

Mikey Jr.

So a game we've never seen a screenshot of is releasing in 4 months and it's the best football game ever made and is a holy grail for Microsoft and will crush EA and win the console war.

Uh huh.

Seriously.

I would find this more believable if they said it was releasing in 2016.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
"I didn't sign an NDA so let me just tell you all the information my friend who did and whose career I'm bout to ruin told me."

This seems kinda fishy really. Seems weird for Microsoft to bank so much on EA and EA Sports to just turn around and make their own game, with 2k being involved even?

Betrayalton if true though.

Ploid 3.0

Dang oh wow, nice on MS for making a football game, I wish Sony still made Gameday but after their transition to PS2 and 989 I understand them leaving that franchise in the dust.

Majanew

Banned
To be fair, they sort of have an excuse since they paid half a billion for "something" from the NFL, doubt it was just fantasy sports.

Well, the NFL coaches carry MS Surface tablets and Xbox is the official sponsor so every time you watch an NFL game, you have Xbox logos slapping you in the face.

Thoughts?

http://freeonsmash.com/gaming/is-joe-montana-football-with-2k-sports-becoming-a-reality/

- The game is called Joe Montana NFL Football 16. This is an NFL game. First-party stipulations that the NFL has always left open & the NFL’s exclusive relationship with Microsoft allows for Microsoft to have an NFL game. Microsoft Studios is the publisher. Microsoft is deadly serious about gaining ground and winning the console war (doubtful to happen at this point though) and throwing tons of money at incubation and trying to buy new IP that they can turn into big series’ titles is top priority for them right now. They believe this game can be many times bigger than MLB The Show due to the larger NFL fanbase, and because so many XBOX One owners identify as serious NFL fans.

First thought is:

If this is true, then Microsoft is dumb as fuck for not revealing this game at the Super Bowl.

Second thought, based on the first thought:

This reads like "Tales From My Ass."

Wasn't there a "leak" early last year about 2K Sports guys quietly scanning NFl players faces and recording new motion capture?

Everyone said it was just bogus, but now...

Kilau

Microsoft turning their backs on EA and Madden is surprising. I don't care enough about sports games to buy a whole system for one but I would be interested in the Windows 10 version if that pans out.

If they get rid of that horrible suction-blocking that Madden uses and implement an actual multi-player collision-detection system that isn't just stupid-ass canned animations that singles out 1 or 2 animation-triggered collisions and puts up an invisible wall that no other players can penetrate, then I'll pre-order this game right now.

This needs to be at E3. If it's REAL, Madden is going to get humiliated with side-by-side comparisons.

wildfire

Banned
I'll be amazed if the leap in graphical fidelity is Order 1886 tier. Up until last year, I haven't touched a sports game in decades but I know enough that EA Sports deserves to be fully embarrassed over the last 2 years output.

EL CUCO

Microsoft is deadly serious about gaining ground and winning the console war... They believe this game can be many times bigger than MLB The Show due to the larger NFL fanbase, and because so many XBOX One owners identify as serious NFL fans.
This sounds like Fanboy dribble. Two completely different sports, and not to mention The Show has ZERO competition.

They need to focus on going head to head with Madden, which has a ton of mind share already.

Let's assume this is true...why not make the announce trailer during the Super Bowl to capture the ~115 million viewers? Why wait until 4 weeks before release at E3?

Just doesn't really add up based on that. That would have been the easiest marketing money ever spent.

Haunted

Fucking over EA by making an actual attempt to partner with 2K and directly compete against Madden would be one of the boldest moves in recent memory. Looking forward to it if true!

Smells like bullshit though.

Microsoft turning their backs on EA and Madden is surprising. I don't care enough about sports games to buy a whole system for one but I would be interested in the Windows 10 version if that pans out.

Microsoft will still have Madden. This is 2K's way of releasing a football game without all the NFL licensing stuff in the way. The fact they plan on releasing it roughly a month before the Madden release is great as it will put pressure on EA to put out a better product.

Based on the quality 2 CGI pictures that Joe Montana tweeted and the general lack of development info, I would be amazed if this game wasn't mobile. Id love a new NFL console game, but this doesn't look like it.

The ONLY way I can figure they didn't announce sooner and kept it under wraps was because they had to wait for some sort of licensing clause to expire to allow 1st parties to make NFL games?

Sounds like EA still owns the exclusive 3rd party license.

And why would Joe Montana himself tease this if it was fake?

Microsoft could be using this as a super-Megaton for E3. XB1 and Windows gamers are going to go nuts if this is all true.

Could be an elaborate April fools joke being set up. But I would welcome another 2K football game and I don't often play sports games.

Derpyduck

Banned
The ONLY way I can figure they didn't announce sooner and kept it under wraps was because they had to wait for some sort of licensing clause to expire to allow 1st parties to make NFL games?

Microsoft could be using this as a super-Megaton for E3. XB1 and Windows gamers are going to go nuts if this is all true.

I own neither XB1 or a gaming PC. I would still go nuts for this. If it's indeed from the 2K team, this is potentially a system seller for me (XB1, not PC).

Based on the quality 2 CGI pictures that Joe Montana tweeted and the general lack of development info, I would be amazed if this game wasn't mobile. Id love a new NFL console game, but this doesn't look like it.

That sounds more likely, actually, since there alreafy is a non-EA mobile NFL game on the market.

Still, the seed has been planted.

Phil Spencer should make an inquiry.

;)

Haunted

The game clearly exists and is being made, what's being called in question is the NFL deal, the game not coming to Sony platforms and the exaggerated claims about graphics and realism compared to Madden.

statham

We know a game is being made, but we don't know if the rumors are true that 2K or Microsoft is involved, It could be something for Fire TV or Ipad still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom