• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anonymous Twitter Poster Detailing 90s Hip Hop/Street History

mr2xxx

Banned
Good read, knew some of the names but he did a great job expanding and connecting things. I Just hate using Twitter to read through something with so much info.

Basically only Puff and Jay are worth anything from that era

everyone else is either dead, in jail, or irrelevant. And for good reason

LionPride... tell me you are not this bad

Dudes like this is why I wish 1000 years of darkness on Kanye West, him and his wife Kazumi Mishima are out here poisoning the youth.

Dudes like this is why I wish 1000 years of darkness on Kanye West, him and his wife Kazumi Mishima are out here poisoning the youth.

Kanye is a fool these days, come at me Kanye stans. *screams HailMary!

gallery-1470912926-rockvsvin2.gif

Kanye is the best thing that could of happened to Hip Hop, all of the conflict of 90s Hip Hop was to lay the foundation for his arrival, the chosen one to carry on the legacy of the Roc set up by the kid from Marcy.

LionPride

Banned

Don't group me with him, I respect what the 90s did for hip-hop, I may not like a few of the rappers from then, but I acknowledge their influence

NandoGip

Lmao dont insult 90's rap, internet nerds who worship this shit will drag you!

I love rap from all eras, even todays, but yall really force it with this glorification of some of these guys. Ill admit the story is fascinating but tone it down

On topic though, the background he presented is really interesting. I feel like this adds another layer to the music, i might have to relisten to a couple of the 90's classics to see if i can catch the references better.

Holy crap at some of these stories. My older brother would tell me things from time to time, but I was a lot younger so it didn't really stick.

I need to spend a night or two reading through these.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
90s was weak af tho

fuck suge knight

This from the guy who posted:

So the Jay Z goes swimming thread got me thinking about Nas/Jay Z feud, then I started wondering what some of the greatest diss tracks of all time were. Here's a couple of noteworthy ones.

2pac - Hit 'Em Up
Nas - Ether
Eminem - Doe Rae Me
Jay Z - The Takeover
Ice Cube - No Vaseline
Eminem - The Warning

I see some 90s tracks there. ;P

And let's be honest, a lot of the 2000/2001 stuff that came out is really an extension of the 90s era.

Cedric

Man, I'm having a hard time following the structure here in these posts, I'm not hip enough.

This makes me think of the stories about how MC Hammer was the biggest gangster that ever lived. Dude put a hit on MC Serch haha

FZZ

Banned
This from the guy who posted:

I see some 90s tracks there. ;P

And let's be honest, a lot of the 2000/2001 stuff that came out is really an extension of the 90s era.

I clarified it more in the GAF-Hop thread

90s definitely had some of the best artists with fantastic output, but I think the pedestal people put it on is overblown and as a result people end up putting down modern Hip-Hop

I still stand by my thread with those being the greatest diss tracks, and I'd add Back 2 Back on there as well now.

Top Bottom