• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anonymous Twitter Poster Detailing 90s Hip Hop/Street History

Pretty much, that is why the music was so good

The music was good for a multitude of reasons whose number is greater and more important than "some knuckleheads thought killing each other over music was a smart, necessary idea and also good pr"

Portraying fictional characters in real life for the sake of securing malformed "authenticity" didn't make the music any better.

Just meant you probably weren't gonna get to enjoy it for too long before some assholes ruined it for everyone.

You can ignore him, he thinks Sonic 06 is a good game

in-house-agency-12.gif

If he would've said "warren G regulate" or something along those lines i would've been ok.

The music was good for a multitude of reasons whose number is greater and more important than "some knuckleheads thought killing each other over music was a smart, necessary idea and also good pr"

Portraying fictional characters in real life for the sake of securing malformed "authenticity" didn't make the music any better.

Just meant you probably weren't gonna get to enjoy it for too long before some assholes ruined it for everyone.

what rapper was killed over music

also all this info was well known already if you paid attention

IrishNinja

yeah, the connections here were crazy - we all know about supreme, haitian jack & them but there's so much more in here, was struggling to stay awake last night but had to read it all

Your cred just took a hit.

son couldn't get credit at a check cashing store

IrishNinja

Why you gotta do him like that fam?

blame the state of public schooling, or god

not a shock coming from a shenmue fan hahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i mean of course you have the longest jadakiss laugh on hand my dude

Saw a post about Ruck from Heltah Skeltah and immediately subscribed.

oh shit, for real? i need to check back

Attention-seeking kid.

it's not often i get hip hop heads with actual insights man, i'll take it
i really should listen to more combat jack though

blame the state of public schooling, or god

i mean of course you have the longest jadakiss laugh on hand my dude

oh shit, for real? i need to check back

it's not often i get hip hop heads with actual insights man, i'll take it
i really should listen to more combat jack though

Yea it was a really recent one, like from today. About a lawyer who got him off a murder charge!

Wasn't much on Jay's history because Jay's history is largely obscure/he's worked hard on maintaining an an image, but a quick timeline on some of Jay's past:

-Introduced officially to the game at around the age 14 or a few years earlier by his ex-close friend Dehaven as Jay references and started dealing drugs, Dehaven and Jay would fall out years later and so Dehaven's story has alternated over the years between painting Jay as the devil, as a liar who's embellished his past and took his (dehavens) story, or as an efficient businessman/dealer who took his operation far beyond where Dehaven took it, absolutely no consistency other than the fact that Jay was in the game (Jaz-O also alternates between painting Jay as the devil and trying to diminish his past or embellishing it, only the bare bones facts remain the same, no consistency, and any chain that Jaz was wearing was really Jay's chains):

"Jay was more efficient. I would overpay the runners so they would be happy and not steal, and he would pay exactly what they were worth,” Irby says. “I kept 15 runners and he had two people and was doing pretty much the same numbers.”

When it came to selling, Jay-Z was strict: No discounts for anybody.

“A lot of people thought of him as stingy,” Irby says. “If the product was $10, you couldn’t get it for $9.”

Here Dehaven tells a story if a conflict Jay allegedly got in which lines up with Jay's story from Dead Presidents of being shot at but the bullets missing, something Jay went on to describe as a misunderstanding between friends years later: "In 1990 he survived a near rubout at Marcy when another dealer working with Irby came gunning for him.

“Jay violated someone else’s space, sneakily,” Irby says. “I was disappointed with him. He put me in an awkward situation. A war was about to erupt.”

The rival pulled out a TEC-9 semiautomatic and missed with all three shots. The gun jammed and Jay-Z fled.

Sometime during this time period Jay was introduced to Emory by Dehaven who was a friend of his, Emory would become involved in their operation and become a brother to Jay (the Twitter has the gist of their story up until today), now neither associate with Dehaven and Jay alleges he's a snitch.

Separate from his runnings with them, Jay ran with NY Drug Kingpin/former stick up kid Calvin Klein in the late 80s/early 90s as Jay references on his song Allure:

"I never felt more alive than riding shotgun
In Klein's green 5, until the cops pulled guns"

1f42aa7d4684edbd96c1a734bf9f3ccb.455x600x1.png

"The line is referring to when Hov and Klein were arrested together. In 1989 they were at a house party in Maryland when a fight broke out between their crew and the hosts. They were arrested and charged with attempted murder, attempted murder to maim, battery assault, and possession of a deadly weapon.

Klein paid the victim $50,000 in return for him dropping the charges on one of the two. Klein already had prior attempted murder convictions, so Jay offered to take the charges and stand trial in his place. Luckily for us, Klein recognized Hov’s rap potential and took the weight of the case. Hov was acquitted and released. He would later testify on Klein’s behalf and help his 40-year sentence be reduced to four years.

After being released on drug convictions in 2004 Klein claimed that Hov embellished his past in his raps:

I give him 10% of his life that he talked about; I gotta give him something [laughs] … He is from Brooklyn, he lived in Marcy Projects, his name is Shawn Carter, he got that right. Calvin Klein, a Brooklyn Don, my legacy speaks for itself. Jay had to take parts of that in order to be who he is.

Later, in a 2014 interview with Complex, Klein recanted on his earlier statements:

You have to kind of look at his history. How many times have you caught him in a lie? You have to give him the benefit of the doubt … Was Jay-Z a good hustler? I’m a hell of a hustler too, but he’s a hell of a hustler. You gotta give it to him. He took nothing and turned it into something."

Jay and Calvin Klein later had conflict when Jay offered him assistance post-jail in the form of a 10 million dollar deal:

"Jay is someone who back in the days used to hustle with the team," he said. "We just had a little Brooklyn rush. When I came home in 2004, Jay called and let me know what I wanted to do."

Klein also says that their business relationship became strained because of the Klein's prison sentence. The two were close to purchasing the Civic Center in 2004, but the deal didn't fall through.

"I called him and he said "Did we get it?" I said "No, they wanted too much." He told me, "I gotta get you straight. Next time you call me make it make sense.'"

After this Jay went back to hustling in the DC/VA area until he exited the game to fully take rap seriously on the urges of DJ Clark Kent.

There's a lot more including rap drama I don't feel like detailing.

IrishNinja

ive enjoyed byron's work but the man's a huge fan of alex jones

you know why your boy jigga is relevant here right? dude ain't put out an album that wasn't booty buttcheeks since the bush era

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
C-17G5hXgAABmXC.jpg

Damn Haitian Jack in the 80s looks like one of the Get Down brothers lmao

But seriously, this twitter account has gems, so much information it's hard to process

Afrikan

Damn I don't ever be on Twitter like that...but going to have to spend an evening going through this.

Does anyone know if dude touches on Bay Area Rap scene in the 90's ? IMO the Best yet grimmest of times.

Curious if he touches on San Quinn and Messy Marv. For sure I'd think he'd go into detail about Mac Dre's death. But curious about the fall out of Mac Dre and Mac Mall... besides the stuff I remember.

Damn I don't ever be on Twitter like that...but going to have to spend an evening going through this.

Does anyone know if dude touches on Bay Area Rap scene in the 90's ? IMO the Best yet grimmest of times.

Curious if he touches on San Quinn and Messy Marv. For sure I'd think he'd go into detail about Mac Dre's death. But curious about the fall out of Mac Dre and Mac Mall... besides the stuff I remember.
Some people asked him about West Coast and Southern content, but he stated someone else is going to have to do those threads and that he isn't the guy for it.
https://mobile.twitter.com/justsunlade/status/859912059600781312
https://mobile.twitter.com/justsunlade/status/859912861346222081

I mean, the 90s rap game from 89-98 is basically GoT

Lies, deceit, small slights being taken as major offenses, constant fucking, hits being put on people, carrier pigeons, the whole shabang
Rap history was as intricate as that from the start, down to legendary events like the blackout.

Top Bottom