• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko - Heavyweight Boxing Championship- Saturday 4/29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

Q1CIdNL.jpg

Promo text:
ANTHONY JOSHUA MBE FACES FORMER WORLD RULER WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO FOR HIS IBF WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE AND THE VACANT IBO CHAMPIONSHIP AS WELL AS THE WBA SUPER CHAMPIONSHIP ON APRIL 29, 2017 AT WEMBLEY STADIUM CONNECTED BY EE, LIVE ON SKY SPORTS BOX OFFICE.

Anthony Joshua: ”This fight will be one of the biggest nights in my boxing career, it marks the highest point of my climb through the professional ranks. It is three years since I turned professional, I have taken the time to gain experience, fight men who have fallen and some who have fought hard and through this I am learning my trade, how the business works and gaining the ring craft which is sometimes underestimated as everyone wants to see the mega fights right away.

It is the perfect time for me to move up another step and contest my heavyweight championship belt against one of the legends of our sport. There is no doubt this will be a titanic battle with a huge amount on the line, just like every fight, but when I enter the ring I will be prepared for victory as I have been with all my other fights. The legend against the champ – it's time to write history."

Wladimir Klitschko: ”I'm looking forward to this fight of the year, just like boxing fans all around the world. This is the first time in a decade that I'm the challenger again. I will fight against a champion who I consider the best of the young generation. Basically experience will take on youth. This makes this fight that unique. I will be ready for the challenge!"

It is the biggest boxing event in British boxing history. 90,000 tickets have been sold out for Wembley Stadium:

VYe2u0A.jpg

The fight is today on Sky Boxoffice in the UK and live on Showtime in the US at 4:15pm est.

9pw241L.jpg

--

Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybMpSms7oCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k13nqx8gWS4

I can only see an AJ win tonight, Klitschko is a couple of years long in the tooth. I don't think it'll be an early knockout but I can see it being over within 7-8.

Hope AJ wins decisively and put Wlad out to pasture, however I think Wlad has a decent punchers chance despite being well past his prime.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Biggest fight ever?

Is this guy the new Frank Bruno (this should tell you how long it's been since I lived in the UK)?

Syder

Very excited for this fight.

Joshua already looks like a star and it'd make the heavyweights really interesting if he can put Wlad down.

Biggest fight ever?

Is this guy the new Frank Bruno (this should tell you how long it's been since I lived in the UK)?

He's compared alot to Bruno because of his build and personality, almost everyone here love him.

Does very little trash talking towards his opponents, seems like a very genuine guy.

He's compared alot to Bruno because of his build and personality, almost everyone here love him.

Does very little trash talking towards his opponents, seems like a very genuine guy.

From an American standpoint, Frank Bruno sucked and looked like a deer in headlights when he fought Tyson. LOL

However admittedly we weren't shown his fights previously, so to most of us Yanks thought he was some no name British fighter.

From an American standpoint, Frank Bruno sucked and looked like a deer in headlights when he fought Tyson. LOL

However admittedly we weren't shown his fights previously, so to most of us Yanks thought he was some no name British fighter.

Yeah he went downhill later on and had his issues with mental health too but the main reason people stuck with him was because he was a great guy, did a lot of events and just gained a great following of people liking what he stood for.

Even to this day when he is spotted the crowds go crazy.

Joshua lucky he's 14 years junior, dude has a pretty shit technique but he is physically at his prime. If Blobby the traveler could beat Wlad though, this one ain't gonna be much of a fight but heading to the pub to watch this, ain't dealing with a stream for this one.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
This will be tough and he'll maybe need to smarten up but this is a passing of the torch. AJ is going to be a superstar.

Looking forward to this even though I won't be watching. Joshua looks fantastic and he's obviously hungry for it, but on the other hand the Klitschko brothers have been great and it would be great to see Wlad go out with a victory. Gonna be a great match regardless of who wins.

GRW810

AJ has so much potential. I think he will put in a good showing and go on to big things in his career, regardless of tonight's result.

Which is just as well, because I just have a feeling Klitschko is eager and focused to bounce back from his Fury loss. I can't see him being anything but fully prepared, and as good as AJ is, a top-form Vlad will be too strong.

As a Brit, I hope AJ can really step up and do what it takes.

Yeah he went downhill later on and had his issues with mental health too but the main reason people stuck with him was because he was a great guy, did a lot of events and just gained a great following of people liking what he stood for.

Even to this day when he is spotted the crowds go crazy.

Yeah, we weren't exposed to any of this. All I remember is that Tupac track specifically made for the Tyson vs Bruno fight for Tyson's ring walk entrance, and Tupac saying, "Throw your hands up Mr Bruno, Riiiiise, Mike Tyson 'bout to brutalize that ass tonight." LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlTe8VUf_Ug

How does boxing gaf view Deontay Wilder?

Raw Talent that packs a powerful punch. Very unpolished technical skills and low ring IQ. I don't enjoy watching him fight despite the excitement his KO's garner.

Looking forward to this even though I won't be watching. Joshua looks fantastic and he's obviously hungry for it, but on the other hand the Klitschko brothers have been great and it would be great to see Wlad go out with a victory. Gonna be a great match regardless of who wins.

I think Wladimir has actually been bad for the Heavyweight division and hold him personally responsible for killing America's interest in the glamour division. LOL

BadAss2961

I like him. He's not perfect, he appears vulnerable at times, but he has the potential to bring the heavyweight scene back to the spotlight in America. If he and Joshua go undefeated for another couple years, they could put together the biggest heavyweight fight in awhile.

Moze

Banned
Wlad is looking great. He looked much better than Joshua in the public workout.

A nobody versus a kinda-was. Exciting stuff! Take what you can get in heavyweight boxing though.

Erm...what? Joshua is one of the biggest draws in boxing right now. He is certainly the biggest in the UK and the UK is one of the biggest markets in the world. And Wlad dominated the division for 12 years. He is far from a 'kinda was'. He was the #1 for over a decade.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I expect more hugging than a bunch of one time frat boys meeting after a long time apart.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

He was actually a good puncher but not a technical or quick boxer.

He's beloved in the UK because he's genuinely and almost comically nice.

He rocked Tyson with like one or two decent shots but i have also never seen a Tyson challenger as obviously intimidated as Bruno was, and that's saying something.

He never stood a chance, especially with that attitude.

Wlad is looking great. He looked much better than Joshua in the public workout.

Joshua is weighing in about 10lbs heavier.

I thought Joshua would be the faster fresher fighter, but looking at their physique, Wlad will be the most agile and able to skilfully box.

Joshua looks almost bloated. Carrying a lot of bulk will be the death of him if he doesn't end Wlad early. Especially when he is not used to going the distance due to his knockout ratio.

If Wlad is still fit, Joshua might not be able to touch him.

We shall see though.

Moze

Banned
Wlad is clearly juicing. 41 year olds don't look like that.

All boxers are.

Joshua is weighing in about 10lbs heavier.

I thought Joshua would be the faster fresher fighter, but looking at their physique, Wlad will be the most agile and able to skilfully box.

Joshua looks almost bloated. Carrying a lot of bulk will be the death of him if he doesn't end Wlad early. Especially when he is not used to going the distance due to his knockout ratio.

If Wlad is still fit, Joshua might not be able to touch him.

We shall see though.

I agree. Joshua is going for power. He looks bloated and stiff. Wlad looked very quick on the pads, and miles better than Joshua. Of course that doesn't mean it is going to translate to the real fight, but it is all we have right now. I see Wlad winning this.

Erm...what? Joshua is one of the biggest draws in boxing right now. He is certainly the biggest in the UK and the UK is one of the biggest markets in the world. And Wlad dominated the division for 12 years. He is far from a 'kinda was'. He was the #1 for over a decade.

Wlad dominating the division for 12 years says more about the division than it does about Wlad.

Moze

Banned
Wlad dominating the division for 12 years says more about the division than it does about Wlad.

Dominating at that level for that long is far from easy regardless of the division lacking the talent it had in the 90s/early 2000s. Calling Wlad a 'kinda was' is just wrong.

PR_rambo

Banned

Very raw, athletically gifted fighter. Come very far with just his right hand alone.
If he didn't have the power he possesses, wouldn't be more than a bum. Luckily he is that powerful, nobody in the sport has more one punch power than him. He doesn't need momentum he doesn't need to set it up, just one right hand erases everything.

Very exciting guy to watch, I hope he continues his run and gets fights against Parker, Joshua, any of these guys.

Dominating at that level for that long is far from easy regardless of the division lacking the talent it had in the 90s/early 2000s. Calling Wlad a 'kinda was' is just wrong.

I agree calling him a "kinda was" isn't giving Wlad his credit, however I just wanted you to put in perspective the 12 years of domination.

El Topo

It's sad how his accomplishments are downplayed by some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom