• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Weiner gets 21 months in prison in sexting case

Cairnsay

Banned
Almost two years of this man's life gone for sexting. Unbelievable.
For sending pictures of his penis to a kid? That really seems like a just punishment to you?

Seriously? I don't know how anyone can read that and still argue that 21 months is harsh. As others have said, he got off incredibly lightly. He should have got 4 years+.

Busty

Banned
For sending pictures of his penis to a kid? That really seems like a just punishment to you?

willywonka-lift-charlie-worried-original-13482381245.gif

He clearly is in need of serious rehabilitation so they should have given him the max to let him work out whatever the hell is going on in his head.

Gattsu25

Banned
He was soliciting a 15-year old and knew it. He is a child predator, plain and simple. Try to imagine this from the perspective of a sophomore in high school receiving solicitations from a married 50-year old politician. It's creepy and gross and immoral and highly illegal. He got off way, way too light given the maximum sentence and his own inability to control himself.

You seem only able to see this from Wiener's vantage point. Think of what this did to the child.
Exactly.

zeioIIDX

Look, instead bashing Spoiled Milk and making him/her feel like shit, it'd probably be more helpful to explain to him/her why everyone else in the thread has an opposing view on the law. I'm just saying. That's more constructive than just going "Ew, gross...you must like pedophiles you sicko!"

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's almost like sending sexually explicit images to a kid is considered a criminal offense or something

Kemal86

Anyone who spends a decent length of time on GAF is bound to read a really heinous post.

This tho, this is up there in the "WTF did I just read" hall of fame.

Anthony Weiner is a pedophile and child predator. Full stop.

How many more child predators and pedophiles would 'act out' if they knew the worst punishment they would get is 2 months probation?

Snagret

Look, instead bashing Spoiled Milk and making him/her feel like shit, it'd probably be more helpful to explain to him/her why everyone else in the thread has an opposing view on the law. I'm just saying. That's more constructive than just going "Ew, gross...you must like pedophiles you sicko!"
Shame can be constructive, too.

TheMan

I knew of his sex addiction, but didn't realize it extended to minors. Did he know she was underage?

Beefy

It's not hard, but the sentencing here is completely unjust. We should not be putting people in state prison for electronic messages. It's bonkers.

What's bonkers is you sticking up for a perv

The dude sent a sex pic to a underage girl. That shit aint right.

Sounds like a good amount of time, to me.
I don't get why so many people seem to think it's not enough. Sentencing is supposed to be not just punishment, but a gateway to rehabilitation. Right?
Make him get therapy instead of more expensive time locked away, therapy using nothing but his own money.

It's not hard, but the sentencing here is completely unjust. We should not be putting people in state prison for electronic messages. It's bonkers.
You're much worse though.
What's wrong with you? To the victim, where is the difference between seeing a real life dick and seeing the image?
Next thing you're going to tell me weirdo sex calls are fine, I mean, it's just sound waves coming from a machine.

Cranster

Banned
He's not an 18 year old high school student, he's a 53 year old man who was high up in a major political party! The guy is a Predator and deserves a harsher sentence.

JCHandsom

I don't get why so many people seem to think it's not enough. Sentencing is supposed to be not just punishment, but a gateway to rehabilitation. Right?
Make him get therapy instead of more expensive time locked away, therapy using nothing but his own money.

It's also important to keep sex offenders separated from the general public.

The sentence seems reasonably fair to me.

Not a defense of his actions in the slightest, but I'm certainly not in favor of the absolutely excessive sentences some in here are calling for.

Pedophilia is disgusting and so is sexual harassment. But I just have a different opinion about what constitutes a reasonable punishment in this country for nonviolent crimes.

If you have a daughter and maybe some day some old creep starts sending pictures of his Weiner you might feel differently.

Should be 10 years considering his position status whatever

yuoke

Banned

You're much worse though.
What's wrong with you? To the victim, where is the difference between seeing a real life dick and seeing the image?
Next thing you're going to tell me weirdo sex calls are fine, I mean, it's just sound waves coming from a machine.
I don't believe there should be any rehabilitation for pedos. This isn't a drug addiction.

El Sloth

Banned
People with money and influence, even the shitty ones who have had their reputation publicly run through the mud over and over again, getting away with lighter punishments than regular folks.

Nothing out of the norm here. I guess just be glad he's doing any time at all and not some probation bullshit? I wish things were different.

It's also important to keep sex offenders separated from the general public.

I'll bite. Is it always?
Why can someone who kills be rehabilitated and "let loose", and someone committing a sexual crime can't?
Modern medicine and therapy are powerful. Technology to control whereabouts exists. Browsing Privacy can be limited and removed.

There is rarely a need for banishment.

I don't believe there should be any rehabilitation for pedos. This isn't a drug addiction.
Of course. It's mental illness, one of the dangerous varieties.
Which is not a defense of the act.
But it can be treated.

Edit: I'm not saying just trust them.
I'm saying that if professionals think something can be done, something should be done.
I believe therapy and privacy control can also keep people safe way beyond any prison sentence.

Media

He pled down to a lesser charge so you know he did even worse shit than just send dick pics. He likely got pictures of her too.

He's disgusting and anyone defending him should be ashamed. He got off light here but I shouldn't be surprised.

Derp2Herp

Neo Member
Seems like a lot when you compare it to that 19 year old who got no time for kicking a coat hanger up the rectum of a mentally disabled black teammate

Arol

I knew of his sex addiction, but didn't realize it extended to minors. Did he know she was underage?

From what I remember when it was blowing up, he knew she was underage and from my understanding it was unsolicited or trying to use his position to get leverage over her or something like that.

Can't really google the case right now.

Maybe someone else can give more details.

I do remember the case though, like someone mentioned before, he was suppose to be some rising star for the Democrats at one point.

Raptomex

Pedophilia is disgusting and so is sexual harassment. But I just have a different opinion about what constitutes a reasonable punishment in this country for nonviolent crimes.
Um, you're crazy. This punishment is not just enough. Dude should be registered as a sex offender, too, as far as I'm concerned. Don't fuck around with children.

He was soliciting a 15-year old and knew it. He is a child predator, plain and simple. Try to imagine this from the perspective of a sophomore in high school receiving solicitations from a married 50-year old politician. It's creepy and gross and immoral and highly illegal. He got off way, way too light given the maximum sentence and his own inability to control himself.

You seem only able to see this from Wiener's vantage point. Think of what this did to the child.
Ok, I was thinking of this solely in terms of a single lewd action, not as child predation. Maybe you're right. If this was a one-off, my statement would stand, but grooming is different, yeah. I didn't realize how long these communications were taking place.

Scuffed

He should have gotten more but I always think child predators get off lighter than they should. Trying to sex minors is the lowest of the low.

Does anyone know the maximum he could have gotten?

What Wiener did was the direct precursor to the violent aspect of the crime. He was luring the minor.

GhaleonEB

Yes.

Weiner asked the teen to "engage in sexually explicit conduct via Skype and Snapchat, where her body was on display, and where she was asked to sexually perform for him," prosecutors said in a sentencing memorandum. Weiner was fully aware of the girl's age when they were communicating, prosecutors said.
Can we stop the "he sent dick pics what's the big deal" defense now.

For a bit of perspective, Jared Fogle, who actually had sex with multiple minors, got about 16 years.

So people wanting Weiner to get 10+ years are being pretty unreasonable.

Hesh

This sort of cognitive dissonance is wild.

JCHandsom

I'll bite. Is it always?
Why can someone who kills be rehabilitated and "let loose", and someone committing a sexual crime can't?
Modern medicine and therapy are powerful. Technology to control whereabouts exists. Browsing Privacy can be limited and removed.

There is rarely a need for banishment.

I'm not saying that he can't be rehabilitated, just that certain things can't be written out or undone.

There's a reason the registry for sex offenders is publicly available and why that information has to be made known to employers.

He'll never be and should never be "let loose" from that, rehabilitated or not.

Media

For a bit of perspective, Jared Fogle, who actually had sex with multiple minors, got about 16 years.

So people wanting Weiner to get 10+ years are being pretty unreasonable.

Weiner asked the teen to "engage in sexually explicit conduct via Skype and Snapchat, where her body was on display, and where she was asked to sexually perform for him," prosecutors said in a sentencing memorandum. Weiner was fully aware of the girl's age when they were communicating, prosecutors said.

Can we stop the "he sent dick pics what's the big deal" defense now.

He did much much worse than just send some gross pics. Dude was grooming a little girl

Also please remember that he pled guilty, which usually means making a deal for a lesser charge in exchange for not drawing out a costly trial

Socivol

He got off easy. He knew it was a fucking kid and in one of the pictures he is laying in the bed with HIS kid. He deserved much more, especially because he has a pattern of doing this sexual shit.

JCHandsom

Ok, I was thinking of this solely in terms of a single lewd action, not as child predation. Maybe you're right. If this was a one-off, my statement would stand, but grooming is different, yeah. I didn't realize how long these communications were taking place.

Backpeddle harder

Top Bottom