• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anti-Trump Marches And Rallies Planned For April 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
To voice our displeasure? What's the point of any protest?

It would help if the protests were focused on something, not just "we don't like trump for many reasons".

The whole point and message is so muddled with all these protests, people are constantly going "what are they protesting exactly?" Trump isn't going away, if there is specific issue that needs to be protested, then it needs to be made front and center.

Lowmelody

It would help if the protests were focused on something, not just "we don't like trump for many reasons".

The whole point and message is so muddled with all these protests, people are constantly going "what are they protesting exactly?" Trump isn't going away, if there is specific issue that needs to be protested, then it needs to be made front and center.

Pick anything he has ever said about any issue ever.

That sure was easy.

daveo42

Banned
I missed the Women's March on Saturday, so I'm making sure I'm available on the 15th to attend this one. I'm sure there will be more opportunities between now and then to also march against Trump.

Was at the one in Boston over the weekend. I feel like these would be way more effective if it happened during the work week. Shutting down a chunk of every major city while business is going on will garner more attention I think.

These Protests should also direct people into how to register to vote etc.

Good point, they should also try to educate people on how to talk to their representatives to express their feelings on the issues.

Misha

Banned
That's holy Saturday. I'm not sure if that would be good due to sending more of a message or if it would be bad cause people would be away with families and unable to join

I can't say I know how religious you'd have to be to celebrate all of Easter weekend though since it might also be an indicator that they wouldn't protest in the first place

WedgeX

Banned
Was at the one in Boston over the weekend. I feel like these would be way more effective if it happened during the work week. Shutting down a chunk of every major city while business is going on will garner more attention I think.

Depends what the goal is. If the goal is to educate cities about Trump, sure. But nearly all cities are comprised of Democratic majorities. The goal that makes the most sense to me at present is to show anti-Trump numbers and increased organized opposition. Having it on a weekday decreases the number of people able to show up and leaves the crowds dependent on students, the better off, the most zealous, and those out of work. Weekends allow all of the above plus hourly workers and those without enough paid time off.

this would be better if the message behind the march isn't just about his taxes

should be marketing it as a march against everything as a whole.

That's holy Saturday. I'm not sure if that would be good due to sending more of a message or if it would be bad cause people would be away with families and unable to join

I can't say I know how religious you'd have to be to celebrate all of Easter weekend though since it might also be an indicator that they wouldn't protest in the first place

Based on what I saw at the march I was at this movement is very anti-religion so I doubt it'll be much of an issue.

Good point, they should also try to educate people on how to talk to their representatives to express their feelings on the issues.

Depends what the goal is. If the goal is to educate cities about Trump, sure. But nearly all cities are comprised of Democratic majorities. The goal that makes the most sense to me at present is to show anti-Trump numbers and increased organized opposition. Having it on a weekday decreases the number of people able to show up and leaves the crowds dependent on students, the better off, the most zealous, and those out of work. Weekends allow all of the above plus hourly workers and those without enough paid time off.

If the goal is to convince voters then it is best to do so in a way that doesn't piss off commuters. If your goal is to convince the people who have already been voted in then the best way to get the message across is absolutely to disrupt the economy.

The people in power don't give a shit what people on the street think. They only care about their balance sheets.

Altairre

this would be better if the message behind the march isn't just about his taxes

should be marketing it as a march against everything as a whole.

You can always do more for other things and honestly I think that's how it should be. A general protest is fine especially to kick things off but down the line you should make it clear what it is specifically you're protesting against.

If the goal is to convince voters then it is best to do so in a way that doesn't piss off commuters. If your goal is to convince the people who have already been voted in then the best way to get the message across is absolutely to disrupt the economy.

The people in power don't give a shit what people on the street think. They only care about their balance sheets.

This is what I'm saying.

Blader

You need a "VOTE MIDTERMS" rally.

Yes, but those elections are 22 months away. We need candidates running campaigns before anyone can rally around them.

The only people going "what are they protesting exactly" are the ones who are dismissive of protests. The message was loud and clear to anyone who attended, watched or read about it.

You'll also get fewer people to attend. Protesters still gotta work. Not everyone is living off that sweet George Soros money.

Misha

Banned
Based on what I saw at the march I was at this movement is very anti-religion so I doubt it'll be much of an issue.
Then the biggest issue would be people with religious families that they aren't quite willing to break ties with (that's my issue). Would be interesting to know how many people are in that kind of a situation. Probably more likely in areas like the Midwest but yeah it's a fairly specific situation

Blader

Just realized this is marathon weekend in Boston... so there'll be tons of people around, but I wonder how they'll coordinate with the city around the race stuff happening Saturday morning.

KingK

You need a "VOTE MIDTERMS" rally.
Yeah. It's goddamn embarrassing how huge the number of people I've talked to in real life who didn't even know midterms were a thing, many of whom also didn't know the difference between the Senate and the House (thinking "congress" was all one thing, and that Obama had control of it his entire presidency).

Civics education (and public education in general) in this country is a complete farce, and one party is actively trying to make it worse because it suits their interests.

This is good. I missed last weekend's march I am definitely going this time.

Anyone has sign ideas? I am think about

RELEASE
TAX
RETURNS
CON MAN

By the way I tried to buy that stupid inflatable Trump Chicken but the smallest one on taobao is 2 meter. That's too large to me to carry.

Not

Banned
Protest Trump hiding his taxes on tax day, makes sense.

On my birthday. Dope.
not going as I don't want to spend my b-day in jail

Not a single person in the women's march in DC got arrested. Not sure the streak'll continue forever, as there's bound to be sabotage if it turns into a regular thing, but you should be fine dude.

And even if you do get arrested for peacefully protesting, that's the most American fucking thing you can do.

Iksenpets

Banned
Why not anything in March?

Something tells me that something will happen in the next month or two that people can organize around to do a protest between now and tax day. It's hard to organize a protest just around every day being a good day to protest Trump, but he's going to give plenty of ammo in the next few days. I could see making room for some sort of healthcare protest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom