• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anti-Trump protests underway outside Detroit church

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump’s visit to Detroit has become a roller-coaster ride of changing details and controversy as the campaign and a pastor challenged parts of a New York Times story about a heavily scripted interview the candidate plans to give.

By earlier Saturday, a crowd had lined up outside the church waiting to enter. A group of community and religious leaders began a silent five block march to the church to protest Trump's visit and Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan and U.S. Rep. Brenda Lawrence held a press conference a block from the church touting the successes of the city.

The Saturday visit, which is open to the public, was scheduled as part of Trump’s continued outreach to African-American voters. Native Detroiter Dr. Ben Carson, who is advising Trump after pushing for an end to welfare dependency during his own failed presidential bid, plans to tour a neighborhood with the New York businessman in the city where he grew up after a church service and interview with the Impact Network.

Carson will accompany Trump to Great Faith Ministries International Church on Grand River, where they will attend a morning worship service at 11 a.m. Saturday. The church’s pastor, Bishop Wayne T. Jackson, said he plans to interview Trump privately for a television program on his African-American Christian cable channel, the Impact Network, before the service.

After initially saying the Trump interview would air live, the network said the interview will air Thursday on its cable channel and online at watchimpact.com.

The network also said in a statement Friday that Trump would greet the audience at the church on Saturday but not address “political matters.”
Detroit News

CNN has been broadcasting a lot of it.

EDIT: The link I posted is streaming the protest.

MIMIC

Banned
Trump suddenly taking interest in African-American issues is so hilarious. I mean, it's how many days to the election and he's just now reaching out to a particular demographic?

Try as he might, it really is too little, too late (not to mention that he is already plagued with ties -- or whatever you wanna call it -- to KKK leaders)

Trump suddenly taking interest in African-American issues is so hilarious. I mean, it's how many days to the election and he's just now reaching out to a particular demographic?

Try as he might, it really is too little, too late (not to mention that he is already plagued with ties to KKK leaders)

He's interested as long as he can speak down to them in a predominately white area or the safe space of the private meeting in a church.

thuway

Try as he might, it really is too little, too late (not to mention that he is already plagued with ties -- or whatever you wanna call it -- to KKK leaders)

His entire campaign will make an incredible NetFlix Comedy Special.

Wag

of course he brings Carson.

maxresdefault.jpg

His minority outreach isn't really a minority outreach. It's an outreach to moderate whites, particularly women, who are uncomfortable with his unapologetic racism up to this point. He, and everyone else knows, he's lost any real minority voting. This is just a sham to try and get as many white voters as possible.

i would love him to say "we're gonna build the wall" in that church

Apparently, he won't be discussing political issues. So, yeah, no one seems completely sure what this is even going to be about.

Arkeband

Banned

He's pretty up front with why he's doing it, when he first realized he had abysmal support from women, he was like "CMON LADIES WHERE'S MY LADIES AT" at his rallies and now he's doing the same thing for the black vote.

His minority outreach isn't really a minority outreach. It's an outreach to moderate whites, particularly women, who are uncomfortable with his unapologetic racism up to this point. He, and everyone else knows, he's lost any real minority voting. This is just a sham to try and get as many white voters as possible.

But thats not what his attractive blonde supporter on CNN says. She says Donald has always been there for African Americans and the media is using double standards.

MIMIC

Banned
Trump's campaign is like cramming for an exam. He's pulling an all-nighter and just got to the "black people" chapter.

Shadybiz

The scripted interview is a joke.

I would love to see the audience boo him out of the church. Probably won't happen...but I'd love to see it. Hilarious!

Trump's speaking like he's never seen these words before. Even using his finger so he doesn't lose his spot on the page.

MIMIC

Banned
These prepared remarks. My soul is cringing

"The African-American community is one of God's greatest gifts."

LMAO OK. We totally believe you on that.

HeySeuss

It's funny listening to him read his speech as though it's the first time he's seeing it having no practice. He's making sure he adds his Trumpisms.

It's funny listening to him read his speech as though it's the first time he's seeing it having no practice. He's making sure he adds his Trumpisms.

I was laughing when he said some line and then he comments "this is true, this is very true"

Really just sounded like he's reading someone's speech, like "oh hey here's something I agree with!"

And a bunch of parts here and there he just powers through reading like a 6th grader with an assigned reading in class

Bronx-Man

Banned
If he gonna's pander to a group he knows he has no chance in hell to win, it should at least be hispanic voters. It'd earn him some good points with Ranch Prius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom