• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anti-Trump protests underway outside Detroit church

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revolver

I think you're looking at it too extremely. I think the general idea is that Labor Day weekend is a long weekend off from politics for most, and generally speaking, that tends to be true from my experience.

It's just I keep hearing the media and a lot of surrogates saying how people don't start seriously looking at the candidates until after Labor Day. Which I find ridiculous.

SirNinja

"A lot of you people don't know that Lincoln was a Republican..your schools have failed you."

Even more people don't know that Republicans back then were basically the Democrats of today (and vice versa). Both parties essentially transitioned to being the other, especially during:

• 1896: William Jennings Bryan brought the Populist Party into the fold
  • 1912: Theodore Roosevelt runs as a Progressive, rather than a Republican, highly fracturing the the Republican Progressives
  • 1932-45: Franklin Roosevelt adopts most of said Progressive platform into the Democratic party, esp. social policy
  • 1964: Lyndon Johnson makes civil rights part of the Democratic platform, which made them lose the majority of southern whites
It's more complicated than that, of course, but those are the biggest turning points.

Point is, though: the Republicans of today are NOT the "party of Lincoln". Ignore those who make that claim, as it doesn't take much more than a cursory glance at U.S. history to disprove it.

"A lot of you people don't know that Lincoln was a Republican..your schools have failed you."

The easiest way to counter that is to refer to Lincoln as a liberal then ask the person what happened to the Republican party.

I do that so much now it pisses people off.

"Lincoln was a Republican!"

"You're right, he was hella liberal and fought against the conservative democrats who wanted to keep slavery...what in the hell happened to the party of Lincoln!?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom