• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Antony Starr confirms he’s not voicing Homelander in Mortal Kombat 1

Mortal-Kombat-1-Homelander.jpg

One fan commented on Instagram, asking Anthony Starr if he would be voicing the character, to which he got a direct reply: “Nope.
ndh5ubbeztzb1.jpg

Fans were disappointed with the news and wondered who would be replacing the actor’s voice that has become synonymous with the laser-beam shooting hero.
“My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined,” one fan complained.

“Not to be dramatic, but this is the most devastating one-word answer in human history,” another person agreed.

However, other fans still held out hope that Starr could still feature in Mortal Kombat 1, claiming that it’s possible that people have misinterpreted his one-word answer.

“People keep hounding him for answers on this I wouldn’t be surprised if he said no just to stop the questions.”
This sad news for fans came just after the news that DLC character Tremor, the earth-wielding ninja, will be released on November 16, confusing players as he arrives only a week after Omni-Man.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
What is it with Netherrealm and their incessant urge to shovel characters from completely different IP into their games anyway?

Are they afraid Mortal Kombat has not enough identity to stand on its own legs, or is it just a cheap ploy to sell more dlc?
Trying to follow the guest character trend. They've been doing it since MK9 haven't they?

What is it with Netherrealm and their incessant urge to shovel characters from completely different IP into their games anyway?
It started since MK9 and MKvsDC.
Are they afraid Mortal Kombat has not enough identity to stand on its own legs, or is it just a cheap ploy to sell more dlc?
No to the first question, and the second question depends on how you view certain dream matches in a video game. Some people enjoy the idea of having Jason fight The Predator or having Rambo fight The Terminator.

People were okay with MK9, MKX, and MK11 DLC. The main issue here with MK1 is pricing. They are doing Overwatch 2-style content pricing and it's pissing everyone off.

I don't know if u know about homelander , as a comic villain he's not that popular but the boys is huge around the world ,he's basically evil superman and Anthony played him extremely well.
As a guest character homelander is perfect for mk

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Why do you need to pay actors to voice their characters if you can rob people who's playing the game and ask them pay $10 for Fatalities? Fuck WB!

Bridges

Trying to follow the guest character trend. They've been doing it since MK9 haven't they?
Yeah, they had Freddy Krueger as the last DLC character for 9. Which at the time was just a fun and fitting addition that was pretty cool as the first guest (also had Kratos on PS3 but I view that a little differently).

IIRC, Freddy sold way more than the other DLC characters that were actually MK related like Rain. So then they must've realized that's where the real money is and just went way overboard with guests.

Since then we've had Leatherface, Alien, Predator, RoboCop, Joker, Rambo, Spawn, Terminator, Omni-Man, Peacemaker, Homelander... And then on the Injustice side they have slots go to Raiden, Scorpion, Ninja Turtles, Hellboy... A lot of these characters do fit in really well but it sucks when they're prioritized over legacy characters.

I wish they'd just make a third franchise alongside MK and Injustice that brings together film characters so that they can stay separated.

I do think Omni-Man and Homelander are awesome choices for guests but tbh I'd rather have Stryker back

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Antony, stay away this kusoge. Rememer how MK is the best selling series in the genre? Well fucking SF6 has a bigger online base, based on Steam. NRS fucked up. The bland style, the adsurdly bad animations and no worthwhile SP content that keeps the casuals in? Not there. My biggest dissapointment of the year. I loved MK9, MKX and MK11. But MK1 is ass.

PS. I did not mention Smash Ultimate because I don't consider it a fighting game. It'a total masterpiece though and one of favorite game ever. I main Pyrrha and Mithra!

MAtgS

Nobody cares about new kharacters. That's the problem with all fighting game franchises these days, new characters can not live up to the legacy of a given game's classic cast. This isn't even to say that any post-classic era characters were inherently badly designed or anything (in the broad general rule of thumb sense anyway) but that players are simply less likely to have an invested interest in someone they don't have a history with. Guest characters are kinda what drives DLC engagement nowadays.

Last edited:

GloveSlap

That's lame. That should be the first thing they work out to decide whether it's worth doing. Even licensing his voice for AI copy would be better than not having him at all.

MonkD

Yeah, they had Freddy Krueger as the last DLC character for 9. Which at the time was just a fun and fitting addition that was pretty cool as the first guest (also had Kratos on PS3 but I view that a little differently).

IIRC, Freddy sold way more than the other DLC characters that were actually MK related like Rain. So then they must've realized that's where the real money is and just went way overboard with guests.

Since then we've had Leatherface, Alien, Predator, RoboCop, Joker, Rambo, Spawn, Terminator, Omni-Man, Peacemaker, Homelander... And then on the Injustice side they have slots go to Raiden, Scorpion, Ninja Turtles, Hellboy... A lot of these characters do fit in really well but it sucks when they're prioritized over legacy characters.

I wish they'd just make a third franchise alongside MK and Injustice that brings together film characters so that they can stay separated.

I do think Omni-Man and Homelander are awesome choices for guests but tbh I'd rather have Stryker back

I don't mind guest characters, and the ones for Injustice where great.

But I don't understand why Fighting games haven't adopted more of a Games as a service model. I'd rather just buy a new season pass every year instead of having a rebooted/trimmed roster every 3 years. I don't even feel like there has been that much of a fundamental difference in how they play to warrant a new game. Feels more like the decision to make a new games comes first, and then they decide on how to make it "unique" from the previous one. Especially scummy now that both Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat started selling insanely overpriced cosmetics in their latest releases.

I'm not even looking forward to whatever the next Smash Bros is going to be. Because there is no way their going to top the roster of Ultimate unless they pull a Mario Kart and rerelease the game and add new content. Which is the path I'd hope other fighters would adopt.

Tarnished

Very odd, I'd love to know why. Either they cheaped out or he couldn't be bothered, it's not like he needs the cash.

Top Bottom