• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any get their groceries delivered?

No, from what I've seen those packaged meal things are crazy expensive versus cooking yourself from scratch. Add in that I enjoy grocery shopping and definitely want to pick out my own produce and meat and it's just not for me.

Nista

Yeah we started getting a meal box delivery this year when my SO was doing a bunch of overtime. We're in California so it's organic local produce, and the one time one of the greens was bad they refunded us immediately.

They aren't really saving you money over eating out, but if you aren't getting home until most restaurants are closed, it's nice to have a quick meal to make. And it's fun picking from recipes each week, and I can stay away from any food allergies cause they offer 10-12 recipe choices that vary. It also cuts down food waste unless you a savvy shopper to try and get ingredients for only 2 person meals.

Crispy75

With two small children, it's an absolute godsend. 20m on a laptop after the kids are in bed, then 5m putting it away on delivery day. Can't get any easier, and will worth the few £ delivery fee.

Yeah my wife found a pretty good service here in Osaka that we have been using ever since she was pregnant with our first child. We still buy fresh stuff locally but get weekly deliveries of quite a variety of stuff.

Ron Mexico

Best move we ever made when it comes to saving money on groceries was Amazon Fresh. We don't buy a bunch of shit we don't need and don't have to fight with the crowds to get it. Cutting out the excess useless impulse buys at the store pays the monthly fee and then some.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Instacart half the time. In Texas our grocery chain is HEB and they are 3x more frustrating than shopping at Wal-Mart.

I use a service here in Bangkok called Paleo Robbie. They have a pre-made meal delivery service and a grocery with fancy grass fed meats. Steaks and chicken are amazing. Sausages are great too. The pre-made meals are mostly really good, but I'm doing keto now and they put sweet potatoes and other shit in almost all of them. The only one with a good keto profile is the saag chicken meal with cauliflower rice, which is good as balls. Really happy with the service, though it is pricey.
I buy produce, eggs, and other stuff at the Tesco Lotus across the street.

h1nch

I used Blue Apron for about 6 months. I like the biz model but eventually quit because of the lack of flexibility with their weekly recipes. If they can engineer more flexibility/choice for choosing weekly recipes, I'd likely jump back in.

The best thing I took away from the service though was several really good recipes, including my new favorite recipe for making quick/easy chicken breasts. I also discovered new dishes to cook that I would otherwise never have tried.

Yes - since I don't drive, I do larger grocery orders through Peapod, Stop & Shop's delivery service.
There was a grocery store near where I used to live where you could come in and do shopping and they would deliver the order for you if it was over $50.

The way it works is: you pick some recipes that you like, how many meals you want to make and how many people you are cooking for and then they deliver a box of groceries of raw ingredients for you to make the meals you ordered.

That's a completely different thing, though.
That's ordering meals, not just doing regular grocery shopping.

I've started getting core basic groceries and toiletries from Amazon Prime Now and saving the store trips for certain particulars like fresh produce and meats.
Havent quite made the jump to meal kit delivery, but Ive been eyeing Blue Apron for a while. Might give it a spin soon.

Hazmat

I use Amazon Prime Now from time to time if I don't have time or really don't feel like going to the store. It's awesome to put in an order for a bunch of non-perishable stuff around 2:00 and have it waiting at my front door at about 7:00 when I get home.

Retro

My wife and I have had groceries delivered probably a dozen times and it's kind of nice honestly. I personally hate shopping, especially in crowded places, and the store that delivers for us always seems cramped and packed.

We don't buy anything we would want to personally pick out (produce, meat, etc.) but having someone bring big / bulky stuff like toilet paper, cat litter, bottled water, etc. along with our monthly staples (canned goods, pasta, frozen goods) is fantastic. Not having to push a cart through hoards of people is worth the surcharge alone, but avoiding lugging all that stuff up to our apartment might actually be better.

When we need fresh stuff, we just run out to the smaller, less-crowded store and I'm out in a couple minutes. Doing it that way also cuts down on waste, when we would make big grocery trips and buy a bunch of produce at once it'd end up going bad before we could get to it.

When I lived in Washington state, two groceries near me offered home delivery and had their stores online. I didn't have a car so this was great. I'd shop for everything I needed online (other than produce usually) select a delivery window and paid $10 or less for the service. My groceries would arrive in a refrigerated truck. It was the best way to shop.

Danneee

We did try that for a while.

But switched to another service that just lets us choose groceries and stuff ourselves and then deliver them. So much better as we aren't stuck with meals we don't want and groceries that we can't use.

Conformation bias. Same with wine tastings. It's all marketing bullshit.

I really don't see the advantage when you live in a place where you can get things from a drive, or even a walk.

Because the shit they feed black people is bull. You don't see no fucking Harris Teeter or Whole Foods in black neighborhoods. That second tier and third tier shit they feed us causes all kinds of problems down the road and not to mention you have people with disabilities in these communities who can't walk or drive and this allows them for healthier options without going through a lot of trouble. It's also a lot cheaper than going to Whole Foods.

dc3k

I rarely buy groceries, but I tried out GoodEggs a couple of weeks ago. Everything went really well. Same day delivery is really nice, and they'll even take back the boxes and ice packs from previous orders for recycling.

riotous

Banned
What's the yearly fee? I did the free trial month but it's $14.99 a month after that so I cancelled.

I guess it's $15 a month now like you said.

Just nice that my wife can order food and start dinner before I get off work; save me from making an extra stop on my way home during the "rush hour" for grocery stores, that is worth the money on it's own, but either way the prices and selection great where I live.

hitme

I rarely buy groceries, but I tried out GoodEggs a couple of weeks ago. Everything went really well. Same day delivery is really nice, and they'll even take back the boxes and ice packs from previous orders for recycling.

Protip: They don't really recycle ice packs. ;)

Trust me. ;)

tirant

No way, quality of the product is very low, typical industrial, all looking the same, tomatos and veggies. You cannot smell them or look at them before buying. It is also way more expensive than local markets. Not worth it for me currently.

jmood88

When Goodeggs (RIP) was still in New Orleans, I got stuff delivered, but that was because I was getting food from farms that I wouldn't have access to otherwise.

Rootbeer

Banned
Me. I use safeway.com every few months when I cbf to leave the house. Sounds a bit different from what you are being proposed but I'll offer my thoughts anyway. Not due to being lazy, just cause I do a lot of work from home and want to avoid going out. Free delivery if you order $150 or more (with some conditions on what you have to order... usually very easy to meet the reqs), otherwise you can get delivery for as cheap as $3 if you choose some of the more flexible delivery methods they offer.

Pros
  • Can use coupons and promos loaded on your club card just like in store
  • Special delivery-only promos for free or discounted items
  • They bring it right to my door, they'll even bring it inside and put it on your counter if you want.
Cons
  • While item selection is generally really good, they only offer about half of what I'd find if I just went to a local store. This is a bit frustrating because the online orders are FULFILLED by local stores, yet not all of the items in the store are available for online delivery o_O
  • Prices on some items get marked up. A 12 pack of soda for example is a few dollars higher than it would be in the actual store. However, if you have a coupon on your club card for a lower price than the online price, it gets honored. So you have to be smart about what you order.
  • Sometimes they can't find items and while you have the option to opt-in to substitutions on a per-item basis (including describing what you find a suitable substitution), about 5% of the time they can't find what I wanted, so they bring nothing for that item.
  • Need a pretty big order to get the reasonable/free delivery charge, otherwise you may have to pay $13 or so for a delivery. So it's not something you want to do unless you have a lot you want delivered, or if you just like burning money.

On the whole... I really like it, but it takes careful planning on ordering if I want to avoid being overcharged.

Top Bottom