• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any rumors floating around about Bioware's New IP?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Been 2 e3s since they showed a pic of a field or whatever and stated they were working on a new ip (not talking about the canned 4v1 game).

Has there been any info released or leaked about this game?

Was hoping they would jump on the superhero train but I have a feeling they are going to go post apoc.

What do yall think?

The wind speaks to me. It tells me that in this game you'll form a party with a group of very distinct party members that each have a specific appropriate role.

The wolves they howl. They foresee that there is a romantic interest, possibly many, and you'll bang ok.

The raven's feathers, they float through the skies and guide me. They point towards you being a Jesus figure.

/kidding of course

If we haven't heard anything more about it outside of some unconfirmed rumors means it's either dead or fake
edit: thought the title said rumored first party bioware IP somehow. My mistake, if it's still in the works I imagine we'll see it at e3 next year.

kurahador

The only thing we learned was the cancelled one. I kinda doubt we'll hear anything about the other one for at least 2 years.

If we haven't heard anything more about it outside of some unconfirmed rumors means it's either dead or fake
Barack-Obama-Confused-gif.gif

The new mass effect isn't even out yet. I think one of the developers tweeted the mass effect development team of around 50 added over a hundred developers/programmers that worked on Dragon age. So the new ip team might not have much to show until after mass effect ships.

Rozart

The wind speaks to me. It tells me that in this game you'll form a party with a group of very distinct party members that each have a specific appropriate role.

The wolves they howl. They foresee that there is a romantic interest, possibly many, and you'll bang ok.

The raven's feathers, they float through the skies and guide me. They point towards you being a Jesus figure.

/kidding of course

jtIM3JS.jpg

I have no idea, OP. I'm all up for a Bioware Superhero game though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The last time they talked about it was in a Game Informer interview with Casey Hudson and other BioWare figures on the future of RPGs when Dragon Age Inquisition was the cover story.

At the time he said it was being imagined around the capabilities and connectedness of the new gen consoles so I imagine it's some kind of (potentially optional) online, open world connected title.

It's hard to infer from job postings as Edmonton works on all four games currently (DA, ME, SWTOR, and this).

Squire

Banned

It's not dead and not fake.

The Dragon Age writing lead was promoted to writing lead on this new IP after Inquisition launched, with one of the senior DA writers being promoted to lead in his place.

Edmonton is done with DA for a while, too, since Trespasser is confirmed as the last DLC for Inquisition.

The new IP seems to be very real is probably about to enter very real production.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The new mass effect isn't even out yet. I think one of the developers tweeted the mass effect development team of around 50 added over a hundred developers/programmers that worked on Dragon age. So the new ip team might not have much to show until after mass effect ships.
BioWare gave up on the smaller team model when they changed to fit this gen's tastes so now 400+ staff (scattered across the three branches) work on each title as they go into production.

This has had a notable knock on effect for each title's development time, yes (coupled with the notably larger scope of each title).

Clefargle

/kidding of course

Best first post

It's only been 14-15 months since they talked about it. I don't think there has been a word said about Criterion's new IP either, which was talked about on the same day. Give them time.

New IP's these days take years and years and years. Look at Horizon: Zero Dawn and Cyberpunk 2077.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AFAIK it still exists, but yes, most of BW have moved on to Andromeda to see that through full production. We don't really know much about it.

diaspora

IIRC Gaider and co are working on the new IP atm while Bioware Montreal is working on Mass Effect, the Austin branch and some of the Edmonton folks may be assisting. DA may be taking a break for a bit.

edit: I wouldn't be surprised if it's a brand new IP, not that I'd reject a Frostbite KOTOR or anything.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BioWare, as far as I know, follows a similar process to Ubisoft (and the rest of EA) and many other developers dealing with modern production requirements. Smaller senior staff are the first to work towards conceptualising and prototyping new projects (either in existing or new franchises), and once a game hits production the bulk of the company's workforce will see it through. So there's not really a Dragon Age team, Mass Effect team, and new IP team, in the sense of a whole team. Each of these projects appears to be lead by relatively different senior staff plus some crossovers (eg: Andromeda is lead by Montreal), but hundreds of people who've worked on Inquisition will also be working on Andromeda and eventually the new IP too.

diaspora

BioWare, as far as I know, follows a similar process to Ubisoft (and the rest of EA) and many other developers dealing with modern production requirements. Smaller senior staff are the first to work towards conceptualising and prototyping new projects (either in existing or new franchises), and once a game hits production the bulk of the company's workforce will see it through. So there's not really a Dragon Age team, Mass Effect team, and new IP team, in the sense of a whole team. Each of these projects appears to be lead by relatively different senior staff plus some crossovers (eg: Andromeda is lead by Montreal), but hundreds of people who've worked on Inquisition will also be working on Andromeda and eventually the new IP too.

Laidlaw essentially said most of this in his youtube interview with Ashe, though I don't know if he'll be involved himself as some staff may be continuing work on conceptualizing the next DA.

I wish Bioware could release a RPG every year. I'd like to see them get four major franchises, then they can keep their three to four year production schedule.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Laidlaw essentially said most of this in his youtube interview with Ashe, though I don't know if he'll be involved himself as some staff may be continuing work on conceptualizing the next DA.
There are generally about 20-30 senior staff that stay on each IP at all times, though sometimes those staff change as people move projects (for example David Gaider is the lead writer on the new IP and Patrick Weekes runs Dragon Age's writing team now).

diaspora

There are generally about 20-30 senior staff that stay on each IP at all times, though sometimes those staff change as people move projects (for example David Gaider is the lead writer on the new IP and Patrick Weekes runs Dragon Age's writing team now).

It was amusing listening to Laidlaw trying to explain this while also trying to avoid outright saying there would be a DA4 as confirmation.

GamerJM

Banned
I wish Bioware could release a RPG every year. I'd like to see them get four major franchises, then they can keep their three to four year production schedule.

They did this for a while

2007: Mass Effect
2008: Sonic Chronicles (lol)
2009: Dragon Age Origins
2010: Mass Effect 2
2011: Dragon Age 2
2012: Mass Effect 3

Before that they did it too if you count expansion packs,
1998: Baldur's Gate
1999: Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast
2000: MDK2 and Baldur's Gate 2
2001: Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
2002: Neverwinter Nights
2003: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide/Hordes of the Underdark

Sirim

/kidding of course
Should be first post on any BioWare announcement in the future.

It's probably in their design documents at this point right at the top.

Josh5890

I keep forgetting that they are working on something new. I think they just took a little longer than others adapting to this generation of consoles.

dragons in space!!!

basically it's dragon age...in space

you're welcome

In all seriousness, I didn't know thwy were working on anything other than Mass Effect: Andromeda

Squire

Banned
IIRC Gaider and co are working on the new IP atm while Bioware Montreal is working on Mass Effect, the Austin branch and some of the Edmonton folks may be assisting. DA may be taking a break for a bit.

edit: I wouldn't be surprised if it's a brand new IP, not that I'd reject a Frostbite KOTOR or anything.

It's brand new.

Rumor is Jade Raymond's studio is making a Star Wars RPG.

kurahador

What was the Bioware game that got canceled a few months after announcement? It was like a F2P game?

Shadow Realms. It was announced as f2p multiplayer game not unlike DA:I mp.

The game later on was delayed citing reason that they're adding single player components.
Few weeks later, cancelled.

mcfrank

KOTOR please.

Also I would love a console version of old republic with mouse and keyboard support since I don't have windows on my Mac anymore.

Renekton

It really depends on Frostbite: workflow, tools, whether rapid concurrent iterations are possible, etc.

I'm still in awe of games programming. Here I am waiting 7 days for approval to move a simple report change to production.

diaspora

While that was certainly part of it, the biggest issue is going to gigantic open worlds.

Maybe, didn't the Bioware panel recently discuss DAI as being one of the few if only games they've made where they had extra time prior to release?

edit: Also important to remember they released the game on 5 platforms too.

I'd like a more atypical setting to explore. They handle space travel better than just about any team I can think of in video games (though through some weird technicalities I suppose
Metal Gear Solid 4 and Bloodborne are plenty sci-fi... and Lovecrafts my favorite sci-fi writer... soooo.....
and I hear great things about Dragon Age, I think I want to get out of the standard, albeit fresh, takes on space voyage and familiar fantasy.

I feel like I have to add a thousand disclaimers. They shake up familiar formulas, but ultimately they still have the old feeling I guess.

Wait, a Super Sentai game. Yesssss...

Banned

/kidding of course
Probably true. And it will be glorious.

Top Bottom