• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody have an Amazon Kindle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking into getting one of these whereas I travel a lot and it would be most convenient to have all my books stored in a little device like this rather than lugging 3-5 books along on every trip. It kind of looks like a ripoff though--Amazon even charges you to convert your own documents into kindle format and transfer them to your kindle, and the device itself still costs $350, which feels insanely steep. Also, I can buy used books for about $4.00 with shipping or $.75 at flea markets/used book retailers. With this, everything is $10.00 or more.

How do you guys feel about this little e-book device?

I've been interested in the Sony version. I always liked the look of it better.

I think I read some reviews that the Kindle wasn't as good as the other electronic books.

Javaman

Not being able to flip through pages quickly will always be an issue for me, one big enough to skip out on the whole E-book thing.

I was going to create the same thread yesterday...
what makes the kindle better than the sony is easy access to content on the amazon store. the kindle design imo is ugly.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I don't get everyone's problems with reading off of screens.

I've read books through the Stanza program on the iPhone and it doesn't bother me.

Grug said:
Reading large amounts of text on a screen makes me a sad panda.

Paper and ink 4 life.
Actually look at a Kindle screen in real life. The quality is far beyond a computer monitor or any other portable device you may have.

BTW, I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet: Kindle 2 is being revealed on Monday, so talking about buying a Kindle for the Kindle 1 features right now is dumb.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Actually look at a Kindle screen in real life. The quality is far beyond a computer monitor or any other portable device you may have.

yeah, the screen quality is incredible. i was standing around scoping one out at a display in borders one day, and it totally blew my mind that an electronic screen could be that pleasant to look at. i mean, i've never had any problem with the clarity of computer screens, but kindles have this clarity and softness of image or something that just makes it seem very natural to look at for a long time.

if they weren't so damn expensive, and if i traveled more and wanted to read a lot, i'd be all over one.

My wife has one and she absolutely loves it. It's not unusual for her to read a book a day, so no matter where she is when she finishes one she can jump right into another. I think she really likes the immediacy of it as well, since she can buy a new book off of it pretty much anytime, anywhere.

snacknuts

we all knew her
If I traveled a lot I would probably buy one in a heartbeat. The screen is amazing on them, and the ability to download newspapers and the like over a cellular network (and not having to find wifi) is a pretty nice feature.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yeah, defer this conversation until Feb. 9, hopefully that's when they're revealing Kindle 2.

Amazon even charges you to convert your own documents into kindle format and transfer them to your kindle
I thought I read that there was a way around this, so you didn't have to pay Amazon's conversion fee...?

and the device itself still costs $350
True, but that essentially includes a lifetime EVDO network subscription.

Macam

Banned

BTW, I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet: Kindle 2 is being revealed on Monday, so talking about buying a Kindle for the Kindle 1 features right now is dumb.

Quoting it again because he's right on both counts.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If they get the price down to $200 and add color I'll be all over it. Maybe a clamshell design too...

That said, the leaked Kindle 2 pics look really hot. Problem is it's more than a Xbox 360 or a Wii, and almost as much as a PS3.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

sony released their e-reader 2.0, and nobody wants it because they messed up the screen quality and the touch screen interface is pretty poor. not saying kindle 2.0 is going the same way, but you can't dismiss buying a 1.0 in these cases.

The quality is far beyond a computer monitor or any other portable device you may have.

Except for a Sony e-reader, iRex Iliad or other e-ink device. You probably knew that, but I wanted to mention those devices in this thread since too much of the media coverage of the Kindle has given the impression that it was the first e-ink device ever.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
mattiewheels said:
sony released their e-reader 2.0, and nobody wants it because they messed up the screen quality and the touch screen interface is pretty poor. not saying kindle 2.0 is going the same way, but you can't dismiss buying a 1.0 in these cases.

Touch screens were made for these types of devices... It's too bad they messed up the interface on the e-Reader, otherwise it could have been spectacular.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Andrex said:
Touch screens were made for these types of devices... It's too bad they messed up the interface on the e-Reader, otherwise it could have been spectacular.
it's pretty sad that sony made the 1.0 model look even more desirable with 2.0. The layout, the footprint, the screen quality and interface...everything's better on the first model.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
beelzebozo said:
if they weren't so damn expensive, and if i traveled more and wanted to read a lot, i'd be all over one.
:lol

What does this even mean?

beelzebozo said:

If you factor in the cost of bookshelves, it's really not expensive, plus you save space. It's just intimidating.

Do kindles have their own format or do they just use e-books? If I hook it up to my comp via USB can I upload my e-books onto my kindle without having to pay amazon $10 for them again?

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
JzeroT1437 said:
Do kindles have their own format or do they just use e-books? If I hook it up to my comp via USB can I upload my e-books onto my kindle without having to pay amazon $10 for them again?

According to wikipedia:
Kindle supports unprotected Mobipocket books (.MOBI, .PRC), plain text files, and Amazon's proprietary, DRM-restricted format (AZW). It does not fully support Portable Document Format (PDF), but Amazon provides "experimental" conversion to the native AZW format.[13] Amazon will also convert Microsoft Word files and structured HTML files through the same e-mail based mechanism. Users may also convert PDF files, to supported formats using third-party software.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
My coworker at my last job bought a Kindle.

She was buying books for less than $1.

What are you looking at that's $10? Best sellers? Are you gonna buy Twilight or something?

DJ_Tet

Banned
http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/06/technology/ebooks.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2009020612

Article on CNN.com about the new Kindle, doesn't have that much info. I look forward to hearing more on Monday though.

I've never seen one but I bet they are fairly impressive, and only getting better. I imagine in 2-4 hardware revisions they might be enough to replace what we've lost with magazines. Could you imagine a FMV version of EGM, with good articles, high-resolution screenshots and ads, and perhaps if you tapped the screenshot it would turn into a moving gif or avi? The possibilities are endless.

What if you could browse internet forums on your ebook reader? Blogging from your ebook reader instead of a bulky laptop? Visual paper could be the next big thing in our lives, but Kindle will likely be long gone by then.

Anyone ever used a Kindle? It's a pretty cool idea, especially the idea of reading a preview chapter from a novel and then buying it right on the spot. The only thing is novels are such a small subset of people's hobbies that it's not enough to drive this thing into people's hands. Newspapers and magazines need to start investing in this technology to save themselves.

Joe

kindle 2:

2-06-09kindle2.jpg
2-06-09kindle22.jpg

2-06-09kindl5.jpg

features a metal back, stereo speakers and supposedly $359 releasing feb 24th

DJ_Tet said:
Could you imagine a FMV version of EGM, with good articles, high-resolution screenshots and ads, and perhaps if you tapped the screenshot it would turn into a moving gif or avi? The possibilities are endless.
Yeah, right now, on the Internet.

deadbeef

I have a Kindle, but I don't use it enough to justify the purchase. I just wanted a new gadget. Make an offer, and I'll sell it to you.

neight

Banned
I want most of my book reading to be digital distribution but this thing is too damn expensive. A shame Amazon locks all their e-books to Kindle. Once the price is down to $200 I'll definitely consider it. At $100 it's a definite buy.

giga

At $360, that shit isn't going to sell. Especially when people are not spending extraneously...

the e reader has "technically" more content than the kindle but kindle has more actual novels and cheaper books faster than the sony store, and all new releases are 10bucks.
E-reader can read more formats natively like pdf. i havent found away to convert kindle format to pdf or another e book format the e-reader could use. as soon as that happens ill

probably get an e-reader.version 1 or ver. 3 (if 2 is as messed up as they say)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's almost like these companies deliberately make a hideous first gen device so they practically have to hit one out of the park with the next one (Kindle, Nintendo DS, T-Mobile G1)...

neight

Banned
hateradio said:
Kindle 2 looks much nicer and totally slick, however they need a proper LCD w/Color. Kindle 3.
The point is to make them as readable as paper not to have PDAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom