• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone catch the Northern lights tonight?

clarky

Banned
Not bad with all the light pollution from northwest England 10 minutes ago..........

8ejX16g.jpeg

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It was hardly visible with the naked eye, but I was able to capture it with my mobile phone. Unfortunately I don't have much of a view of the sky where I live (in Amsterdam). And then there's the light pollution of the big city.

PS I've edited my original photo, because it was much brighter than what I actually saw.

uM4REq8.jpeg

Last edited:

badblue

Gold Member
Just waiting for sun to go down, then I'll be hanging out in the back yard watching the sky. fingers cross for clear sky.

All I've ever seen has been the pale green where I am, which was pretty cool. Would love to see some more colors.

clarky

Banned
Just waiting for sun to go down, then I'll be hanging out in the back yard watching the sky. fingers cross for clear sky.

All I've ever seen has been the pale green where I am, which was pretty cool. Would love to see some more colors.
Good luck. we've been lucky so far. Going to pour another JW Black Label out and see what happens.

Not going to bed when Color out of Space is going on in the back yard.

Last edited:
Few more hours until sun down but rather excited. Being near Vancouver the clouds usually screw us over on shit like this.. but its supposed to be completely clear.

I can scratch that one off my bucket list. Dancing curtains of light clearly visible from my backyard just above the 45th parallel north! What a time to be alive.

Tams

Not bad with all the light pollution from northwest England 10 minutes ago..........

8ejX16g.jpeg
In the NW too, with very little light pollution and saw ziltch.

There is a wooded hill directly north of me, but youcd have thought there'd have been something.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m in downtown San Jose and the light pollution is waaaaay too potent to see anything 😢

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Aurora borealis?
At this time of year, in this part of the country?
In bloody England and Switzerland, in May?
I envy you guys.

Braag

My girlfriend woke me up at 1 am to come watch the northern light from the balcony. So I got up bare assed to watch them with her for a minute or two and go back to sleep.

Sybrix

Yup, was amazing.... but they don't look like the pics with the naked eye.

There was slight green hues in the sky with the naked eye but pictures really capture what's going on.

clarky

Banned
Yup, was amazing.... but they don't look like the pics with the naked eye.

There was slight green hues in the sky with the naked eye but pictures really capture what's going on.

Depends on how much light pollution you have amongst other things.

It was clear as day around ours at times.

Last edited:

Synless

I fucking missed it! Thought I might have more time to see it… but of course being Michigan and on the lakeshore we got a bunch of shit cloud coverage and thunderstorm. I had about a one hour window and missed it.

-Minsc-

Missed it last night. Heard people in a Discord who live in the UK talking about it. For some reason I thought they would never show up here so I never went out to check. My neighbors got some very good shots of it last night.

John Bilbo

I went out for a walk just now and saw some northern lights. It is almost midsummer here and the sun sets only for a couple of hours but still I managed to see some lights dancing across the whole firmament!

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Not only did it never reach into my area, but it had been thunderstorming prior and it was way to overcast to notice anything even if I had been within the zone of interest. :(

Tams

Zilch twice now. Yesterday it was unusually light for the moon phase, but nothing really aurora like.

A few miles away some people got some okayish views, but nothing spectacular.

I must live in the only part of the UK that didn't get a great show.

FatallyYours

Gold Member
Zilch twice now. Yesterday it was unusually light for the moon phase, but nothing really aurora like.

Southern Manchester is a no show tonight. Was OK yesterday though!

Facism

same here, got shyte-all in my part of Warwickshire.

badblue

Gold Member
tonights_static_viewline_forecast.png

You just may get another chance tonight

I was hoping to head over the in-laws acreage tonight since they are well outside of the city light pollution but wild fire smoke has cover the skies tonight here.

As fait as it was last night, it was still pretty amazing to see.

Top Bottom