• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else becoming a big fan of level 5?

batbeg

I hope so - I hate soccer. I just think the mechanics look fun, on top of Level 5's usual penchant for excellent presentation.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I'm a big hater of Level 5, which is the proper side of the fence to be on.

Personally I really like their games, but I can see how some of them might be off putting.

Appreciated the aesthetics of DQVIII, found the battles too slow for my taste.

Spent a few hundred hours on the Dark Cloud games- the second one especially.

I've owned Rogue Galaxy since launch, haven't gotten around to more than a few hours (on the jungle planet) but I enjoyed what I played so far. Will get around to it some day.

Have Jeanne sitting in a 40+ PSP backlog at the moment. If I can ever take Monster Hunter out, I'll probably get around to it.

Have Layton still shrinkwrapped. Someday...

Really looking forward to Cardboard Senki since robot models have been my favorite hobby since I was little.

Would actually consider buying a PS3 if they make a Dark Cloud 3.

ksamedi

duckroll said:
I like Level 5 when they don't make RPGs.

I'm curious, what are your anticipated Level 5 games then? Surely you must be excited in some for or another for Ninokuni.

GhaleonQ

I haven't played Dark Cloud 1 or 2 since I started liking dungeon crawlers, but I didn't enjoy those.
Dragon Quest VIII is my least favorite Dragon Quest.
Rogue Galaxy was mediocre and I hate Star Wars.
Jeanne D'arc was pretty fun and I enjoyed the special mechanics, but everything that wasn't the gameplay actively annoyed me.
I was so disappointed with the Professor Layton series, since I thought they'd be story-based and have puzzles directly tied to the story. I did puzzle books constantly for about a decade, so I wasn't impressed with the puzzles, the music annoyed me (and I love that sort of music), and the story was bad.
And then, Inazuma 11 1 came out, was among the top 5 DS games at release (and 2 above it are among my 10 favorite games, ever). And then Inazuma 11 2 came out and was even better. And now, I cannot, in good faith, hate them.

lucablight said:
They need to get rid of Tomohito Nishiura and find a good composer. The music for Dark Cloud 2 and Professor Layton made me want to hurt myself. Not to mention every track sounds exactly the same.

Inazuma 11 1's and 2's are AWESOME (Mitsuda). "Riyo," the opening for the 1st one, is hilariously appropriate, especially. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBjsrSExoAc

Forkball said:
What's the big deal about Inazuma Eleven? Would I like this game even if I'm not a soccer fan?

Remember when people were going, "Oh, The World Ends With You shows how JRPG's evolved!" They were right, in that it evolved complex mechanics. Personally, my great hope for the genre was Inazuma 11, which evolved in the streamlined direction. Soccer's my favorite sport, but it's really just a groundwork for the half-second-random-battle RPG. The atmosphere is very soccer-like, though. Now, if you don't like Shaolin Soccer, you might not like the game.

Top Bottom