• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feeling physically sick from the Witness?

Crunch2600

Neo Member
I think the movement and camera is just too stiff. No smoothing, no glide/floatyness. Just totally rigid. I think that contributes to motion sickness.

I've noticed this as well. It doesn't seem right, but I guess I just don't understand it too well. The Witness seems to be one to one with your mouse movement and, as you say, rigid. How is this different for say, Counter-Strike?

I do get a headache when playing. Though this is because the game puts your mind into overdrive. Imagine playing a shooter. Your brain is going at a smooth 65 mph, just smooth sailing. It's almost a brainless experience. Now jump into the witness and throw in having to solve puzzles and it takes you back to the SAT tests in school. Your brain is now going at 100 mph and overheating.
WTF are you talking about? FPS are brainless experiences but puzzles are overwhelming? Also i've never had a headache from an exam.

It's a similar concept to overclocking your cpu. If there isn't enough computing power to sustain the new speed then the system can crash.

Ok this must be a joke post.

hesido

OK, don't sit too close folks. I got my share of bad stomach after I got in too close and played for 45 mins that way. Or is this mass delusion?

farisr

Alright, so I played the game on the ps4 for a few hours and I've been fine now. I played the PC version before. Same distance, same monitor.

So I guess... I'm used to it now?

Mik2121

I've been playing with a small circular sticker in the middle of my screen to work as a crosshair (it's smaller than the circle that shows up when you press X) and on my TV instead of the projector, which means the screen is smaller, and I've been able to go through the game for a few more hours! I had to quit this morning since I had to go to work, but otherwise it worked?

Something worth trying. The character movement still bothers me though.

I haven't bought this yet, but it's good to know about beforehand. Only a few games give me motion sickness, usually a headache makes me put the controller down before it gets too bad.

drotahorror

Could someone explain the sick feeling you get when this happens? I'm just curious. Like are you dizzy, your stomach gets upset, nauseous?

mindsale

I'm no stranger to first-person game. Dishonored made me a little ill, but not the teleporting. Just the sway. Head-bob, maybe? I can't quite pin it.

The Witness isn't bothering me so far. It's got a really jarring minimalist aesthetic and I think movement within that space just seems disorienting because everything's so plasticine and otherworldly. But the movement is so slow and deliberate (even when "sprinting") that I don't think I'll have too much difficulty pressing onward.

ShadowLag

Add me to the list of people affected. Watching the GiantBomb quick look absolutely destroyed me, I had to rest for awhile after that.

I'm actually playing the game on PC, and the sickness causing effect isn't as strong while I'm playing myself, but it's still there, and I can only play in short intervals. I'm not really sure what the problem is, but there are a lot of good suggestions in this thread.

mattp

Could someone explain the sick feeling you get when this happens? I'm just curious. Like are you dizzy, your stomach gets upset, nauseous?
bad headache and dizzy. could lead to nausea if you play too long

edit: and i dont know about other people, but it tends to last foreverrrr. like it might gradually get better, but i'll still feel kinda gross/woozy for up to the entire day. so fucking annoying
example: i watched the giantbomb quicklook last night around 8. when i went to sleep at 1 i still didn't feel well

Vlaphor

Been playing for awhile and feeling fine here. Playing it on a 47in screen and sitting moderately close to it. I don't generally get motion sick from games, so maybe you have to have some kind of predisposition that this game triggers.

rbanke

Yes I've been getting a bit nauseous. I get it on small FOV first person games. I'm playing this on PC but at the couch (55" at about 8' away) and it hasn't been too bad but I played for a few minutes at my desk and felt sick almost right away. I'm playing with the default FOV because Jonathan Blow mentioned it may cause issues with some puzzles if the aspect was off so I did t wanna mess with it.

farisr

Been playing for awhile and feeling fine here. Playing it on a 47in screen and sitting moderately close to it. I don't generally get motion sick from games, so maybe you have to have some kind of predisposition that this game triggers.

I don't get motion sick from games either and play tons of FPS games that are really fast paced, quick head turning and what not, but the couple of hours that I played yesterday made me feel nauseous.

Today however, I feel fine. And it was a much longer session compared to yesterday as well. Nothing has changed environment/setup wise. Same tv, same distance, still using a controller etc.

Skux

Does the game have a targeting reticle on the screen? They can act as anchor points and help prevent motion sickness.

AllenShrz

Im not entirely is a FOV situation because you are not moving fast, I think it has to do with the combinations of bright colors and "watching a screen within a screen" on that world.

I tired on my PC monitor and big TV, both times I felt a bit sick.

newsguy

Played more tonight. As much as I'm loving this game, I'm equally dreading it due to nausea. I literally feel like I have a hangover for 1 to 2 hours after I've quit playing. It sucks that PSN won't refund this because it's bad enough that I don't think I'm going to continue

Ventara

Oh, man, I get motion sick really easily. I'm really interested in picking this game up down the line, but may have to pass if this is the case for the game. Nausea hits me usually within 5 minutes and it just completely ruins the experience for me.

Still might give it a go as the game looks absolutely amazing.

Mikef2000

Yep, I'm screwed too. PS4 user here. Played about 30 minutes before I had to stop because I was sweating from nausea. I play blops3 daily with no problem.

Hopefully they can patch in a solution because I really wanted to play this game, but I don't want to have a barf bag to do so.

Nintenyearold

Neo Member
I was hoping to share this game with my fiancée since she enjoys logic puzzles, but watching me play makes her sick if I move the camera at full speed :(

Bossniak

Happened to me as well tonight. Playing it on PC with a 360 controller. I think its the low sensitivity for the controller that is causing it for me. I cant seem to change it for the controller just for the mouse.

ghostjoke

Banned
Ugh, an hour in and it hit hard. Went to google for FOV fix and this topic pops up. Going to take a break to recoup and then edit the files for a more reasonable FOV. Might try switching to m/k to see if that helps too. Wanted to just lie back and relax with a controller but ugh, it's so much worse when you haven't experienced it in a while. Good game though.

I've been playing FPS games since the '90s, with all manner of FOVs, and very soon after I started watching the Giantbomb quicklook I started feeling nauseous. I don't think is simply a FOV thing, and I doubt a reticle would make much difference. I'm wondering if part of it is the pretty severe bloom going on which makes everything a bit fuzzy, combined with the FOV. It also seems like the turning movement isn't totally linear, like it drags a bit? It's really weird, like that feeling of being on a boat in large swells. I'm surprised this didn't come up during QA testing.

PrimeRib_

+1 afflicted.
Strange, I've played hundreds of various types of games and not one, ever, caused anything like this. Played last night for 40 minutes, exhausted my eyes so I went to bed. Felt light headed today and didn't think much of it, considering I was so busy. Booted up this evening and after 35 minutes, started getting dizzy so I turned it off. 3 hours later and as someone else described, it feels like a hangover: dull headache, slight nausea, dizzy.

This is completely f'd up. What did Blow put in this game?!?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So I played this using Remote Play for Vita, using Standard Quality video to force the game to 30fps. Played about three hours with zero problems. This is literally the only way I can play until a patch comes on.

Thankfully it's a perfect fit for the Vita so I don't really mind too much.

champloo

I've been playing with a small circular sticker in the middle of my screen to work as a crosshair (it's smaller than the circle that shows up when you press X) and on my TV instead of the projector, which means the screen is smaller, and I've been able to go through the game for a few more hours! I had to quit this morning since I had to go to work, but otherwise it worked?

Something worth trying. The character movement still bothers me though.

This is worth a shot.
I just wrapped some rope over my TV last night while playing this, It became much more tolerable for my wife.(I also made her sit as far away as possible)

Conspiracy theory:

Jonathan Blow put a secret inaudible sound that plays during the whole of the game that's a huge puzzle that hasn't been solved yet. Unfortunately, the sound makes people who are sensitive to it sick.

Lkely Reality:

Dude forgot how2BasicFPS accessibility, and forgot to put a crosshair and a comfortable FOV in game, and added accelerating movement.

wig

Oh wow. I wasn't a believer as I had played it last night for about an hour without any issues. Played it again today for about 30 minutes and had to stop playing because I felt like I was about to vomit. I wonder what's causing it.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
Yea, I am liking this game but my sickness is making it really hard to enjoy it.

I have literally never felt sick during any other game. Hopefully, this gets patched soon. I feel like the longer I wait to play, the more likely I will forget the mechanics I learned that are necessary for the game.

cilonen

I'm always amazed to hear that some experience motion sickness from gaming. I've never experienced this. Haven't played The Witness tho but still, if the WipEout games aren't gonna do it for me I don't know what will.

WipEout isn't first person. I've never had an issue with a WipEout game. It's linked to First Person and framerate for me. Head bob can be a nightmare too.

cilonen

Stomach clenches, uncomfortably hot and sweaty then like a pressure headache at the temples, then outright I'm going to throw up, now.

Sande

I had to go lie down after about an hour. Later I was a little more careful with how erratically I moved and turned but it was still pretty bad. I might have to put the game on hold until they patch the FOV/camera sensitivity.

So I played this using Remote Play for Vita, using Standard Quality video to force the game to 30fps. Played about three hours with zero problems. This is literally the only way I can play until a patch comes on.

Thankfully it's a perfect fit for the Vita so I don't really mind too much.

I got a tinge of nausea after two hours. I took chubigans advice and played another hour (after taking a break) on the vita remote play. It felt better. Maybe it's the big tv+fov that started to get to me? At least I know I can put my vita to use again.
I play a ton of BF4 and Far Cry games. Last run Of nausea was from HL2 on that boat.

stupei

Console games need to start making at least some FOV options standard. Talos Principle is a great game but I have to take breaks when I play it on PS4 too.

It's funny to see people recommending remote play. I have a friend who is very sensitive to motion sickness in games and she does this a lot for games with a low FOV. I didn't realize this was a common solution.

Moozo

It does give me a bit of a headache, as with other low-FOV games like Far Cry and Borderlands, which I had to stop playing completely. Don't get motion sickness though.

Top Bottom