• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP Exclusive: Boy Scouts chief expected a fiery Trump speech

LuffyZoro

I see what you're saying, I just think the organization gets a bad rap when from the perspective of the boys in it, none of these adult concerns actually matter. The idea it's a conservative indoctrination service is absurd.

It mattered to me when I was in boy scouts, and is one of the reasons I got out as soon as possible.

MrNelson

Banned
Speaking as an Eagle Scout here, this shit is absolutely disgraceful and not at all in accordance with the core values of the organization. I hope people can recognize and distinguish between the fucks at the top and the actual good work scouting does at the ground level.
Unfortunately, it seems plenty are happy to lump all of us in with the trash at the top.
Fuck boy scouts, burn em down. Nazi youth fucks.

I'm embarrassed at my 12 year old self for ever being part of this cunt organization.

Fuck this organization
I'm proud to be an Eagle, and as I've said before, the people at the top have very little to do with what Troops do on a local level. Don't shit all over the good that the organization does just because of what a few assholes at the top do.

I'll add to my last post. I don't necessarily think inviting Trump was a mistake. But I do agree that a tepid "meh" *shrugs shoulders* response is inadequate here in response to what was certainly a stupidly inappropriate campaign-style speech from Trump. This really needed to be one of the times where he has someone write a speech for him and he doesn't deviate from the prompter at all.

Randall Stephenson has too much at stake to be impartial. He should have stepped down during Trump's transition to avoid this conflict of interest, instead he bet on Trump being restrained. Bad bet.

Glix

I agree that they should have invited him, and that it isn't their fault he is a giant orange asshole.

That being said, every response they have given about it since, has made me have less respect for the leadership of the BSA.

Chococat

Unfortunately, it seems plenty are happy to lump all of us in with the trash at the top.

I'm proud to be an Eagle, and as I've said before, the people at the top have very little to do with what Troops do on a local level. Don't shit all over the good that the organization does just because of what a few assholes at the top do.

Sorry, the top represents you. You represent the top. You want people to stop lumping you in with the bad guys- stop supporting the bad guys. If the lower chapter are so good (and many of them are), they have the power to oust the up part or break off from them. You have the power to speak out against the leadership. Instead you choose to be upset at people who don't like the bad things Scout leaders do.

Top Leadership was always terrible. My troop was ran by the atheist dean of our local community college and a Vietnam vet, who was one of those hardcore survivalist types.
We did all sorts of neat stuff, but I guess both of them have since been butted out of the organization.

Mathieran

Banned
Well I don't ever plan on letting my son join the scouts when he gets older. I mean I already heard enough shit about them but this solidified it.

Fuchsdh

I agree that they should have invited him, and that it isn't their fault he is a giant orange asshole.

That being said, every response they have given about it since, has made me have less respect for the leadership of the BSA.

I agree. He's the President, like him or hate him. And you give him the minimum respect and courtesy, even if he wouldn't give it back.

But that doesn't mean that you have to remain silent or 'neutral' when his actions are against the core values of the Scouts. You are an organization essentially about creating forthright citizens. You don't just throw your hands up and say "everyone has opinions" and act like that's all you need to do.

Euron

Many Boy Scout troops are operated out of churches so the organization itself inherently leans toward Conservatism.

Although Trump directly contradicts much of what the Boy Scouts (and Religious Conservatism) claim to stand for, his pandering combined with their continued allowance of Trump's leadership of their political party allow this to occur.

MrNelson

Banned
Sorry, the top represents you. You represent the top. You want people to stop lumping you in with the bad guys- stop supporting the bad guys. If the lower chapter are so good (and many of them are), they have the power to oust the up part or break off from them. You have the power to speak out against the leadership. Instead you choose to be upset at people who don't like the bad things Scout leaders do.
Excuse me? I can denounce what BSA leadership does and chastise those that choose to paint all the boys and parents that give their free time to their local Troops with a broad brush at the same time if I want. They are not mutually exclusive positions to hold.

Laieon

I don't agree with this for the simple reason being that the vast majority of scouts are too young to really understand the current political climate in America and are just in scouts because they enjoy camping, nature, and stuff. Since it's inception, only 2%-6% have reached Eagle. If you're older than 18, you're ineligible. The youngest are 11 (and that's not counting Cub Scouts, which is the same organization but even younger kids). Are you really angry that literal children aren't "speaking out against the leadership" and not "ousting the up part"?

MarionCB

Well, you can't expect the CEO of AT&T to offend Trump right as they are asking him to OK their $85 Billion merger that by all rights shouldn't be allowed to go ahead in the first place. Case in point of why they shouldn't have the CEO of AT&T as head of the BSA, really. If the BSA wasn't a garbage organisation, that is.

The President of the United States is not fit to be around children. Or human beings.

Enzom21

The apology:

“I want to extend my sincere apologies to those in our Scouting family who were offended by the political rhetoric that was inserted into the jamboree,” Chief Scout Executive Michael Surbaugh wrote in a letter to the organization. “That was never our intent.”

“For years, people have called upon us to take a position on political issues, and we have steadfastly remained non-partisan and refused to comment on political matters,” Surbaugh added. “We sincerely regret that politics were inserted into the Scouting program.”
Full letter.

megalowho

Such a hypocritical organization, they knew exactly what they'd get. If they stood by the values they preach they'd never be here in the first place, or at least actually denounce the speech instead of sorry if you were offended, long standing tradition, everything's politics now.

h1nch

About as good as it'll get. Still running into the same problem Disney is though. You can't invite the president or have a hall of presidents without it being political in some manner.

Love how Stephenson doesn't have the balls to make this statement himself

Top Bottom