• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP probe finds drugs in drinking water

Status
Not open for further replies.
bububububuuuut people keep telling me that tap water is the safest place to get water from! my college geology teacher said so!

quadriplegicjon said:
jesus... americans really are that drugged up, huh?

Contamination is not confined to the United States. More than 100 different pharmaceuticals have been detected in lakes, rivers, reservoirs and streams throughout the world. Studies have detected pharmaceuticals in waters throughout Asia, Australia, Canada and Europe — even in Swiss lakes and the North Sea.
It's everywhere, man.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Damn, and here I thought I had quit taking my antidepressants/antianxiety medication.:lol

Crushed

Fry Daddy
brandonh83 said:
bububububuuuut people keep telling me that tap water is the safest place to get water from! my college geology teacher said so!
To be sure, the concentrations of these pharmaceuticals are tiny, measured in quantities of parts per billion or trillion, far below the levels of a medical dose.
lol

way more

Parts per trillion? Sheesh, I thought people were overreacting in the Southwest Airline thread. Why not just wear a tinfoil suit to avoid background radiation? I'm serious. You should wear a tinfoil suit.

Alex

I don't know what kind of places some folks live in, but the tap water here in WA (at least where I live) is fairly great. I can't really discern any difference between it and good bottled water.

womp

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Who still drinks tap water?

I do.

From the tap to this...

classic.jpg

And I have to say it tastes much better from it.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Even users of bottled water and home filtration systems don't necessarily avoid exposure. Bottlers, some of which simply repackage tap water, do not typically treat or test for pharmaceuticals, according to the industry's main trade group. The same goes for the makers of home filtration systems.

kottila

Millions and millions of liters of water with very diluted medicine. Someone should bottle it up and sell it as a homeopatic wonder drug.

xsarien said:
Which one?

Estrogen or estrogen like chemicals. Due to the birthcontrol pills.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
A little silly, is it not? The answer is only as good as the test.

It seems like every generation has a problem....

The baby boomers....

We have our share of chemicals/pollution.

I think this is when you try to build up your immune/detox system in your body, and hope your body is able to fight out the toxins...

We have created a toxic dump for ourselves, that we can't avoid.

EDIT:

What's the cleanest source of bottled water?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
To be sure, the concentrations of these pharmaceuticals are tiny, measured in quantities of parts per billion or trillion, far below the levels of a medical dose.

Maybe it works just like homeopathy and the water retains the "molcular memory" of the impurities.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Why I pretty much just stick to diet soda. People say it's "healthy" or whatever but you seriously can't know wtf is going into your water. Plus diet soda is also zero calories.

kottila

Phobophile said:
Maybe it works just like homeopathy (it doesn't), and the water retains the "molcular memory" of the impurities.

fixed for accuracy. The concentracions found in the water are extremely much higher than in homeopathic drugs anyway. You can't measure the active ingredient in those (because there isn't any).

andthebeatgoeson

Jason's Ultimatum said:
That article implies that doesn't make a difference.

Even users of bottled water and home filtration systems don't necessarily avoid exposure. Bottlers, some of which simply repackage tap water, do not typically treat or test for pharmaceuticals, according to the industry's main trade group. The same goes for the makers of home filtration systems.

Contamination is not confined to the United States. More than 100 different pharmaceuticals have been detected in lakes, rivers, reservoirs and streams throughout the world. Studies have detected pharmaceuticals in waters throughout Asia, Australia, Canada and Europe — even in Swiss lakes and the North Sea.

For example, in Canada, a study of 20 Ontario drinking water treatment plants by a national research institute found nine different drugs in water samples. Japanese health officials in December called for human health impact studies after detecting prescription drugs in drinking water at seven different sites.

In the United States, the problem isn't confined to surface waters. Pharmaceuticals also permeate aquifers deep underground, source of 40 percent of the nation's water supply. Federal scientists who drew water in 24 states from aquifers near contaminant sources such as landfills and animal feed lots found minuscule levels of hormones, antibiotics and other drugs.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
kottila said:
fixed for accuracy. The concentracions found in the water are extremely much higher than in homeopathic drugs anyway. You can't measure the active ingredient in those (because there isn't any).

And how was it possible that you took what I said seriously?

Novid

Banned
I Dont know if this was posted, but this story seems to be a follow up on this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=521535&in_page_id=1770

Major Points in Quotes:

The female hormones - present in women's urine, and passing through the sewage treatment unaffected - caused the part of the brain that controls their song to grow much bigger, causing them to sing at greater length and with even more virtuosity than usual.

The study confirms similar, if slightly differing, research on other birds, which scientists say is adding up to some of the first concrete proof of the effects of gender benders on the natural world.

Studies in more than 20 countries have shown that average amounts have fallen by well over half in the past 50 years, from an average of more than 150 million per millilitre to 66 million.

The result is that men are now less than half as fertile as hamsters.

The counts are continuing to plunge by two per cent a year, and no end to the decline is in sight. At this rate, the average man will be unable to father children within decades.

Increasingly the sperm crisis is being blamed on a whole host of chemicals, not just synthetic oestrogen, but a wide variety of substances that have become ubiquitous in daily life.

They include the common plastic PVC; dioxins, the notorious pollutants found almost everywhere; PCBs, one-and-a-half million tons of which have been used in countless products from paints to plastics; and phthalates, universally used to make plastics more flexible.

Recent tests by WWF (formerly the World Wildlife Fund) on 14 basic foodstuffs taken from supermarket shelves found that every single one contained PCBs, and most were contaminated by phthalates.

Both substances have been shown to have deeply worrying effects on babies and children.

Scientists at Rotterdam's Erasmus University have found that boys born to mothers exposed to PCBs grew up wanting to play with dolls and tea-sets.

And research at the University of Rochester in New York State has shown that the male children of women exposed to phthalates have smaller penises and other signs of feminisation of their genitals.

Communities exposed to high levels of these and other gender-bender chemicals, from the Great Lakes of North America to the Russian Arctic, have been found to give birth to twice as many girls as boys.

Normally 106 boys are born for every 100 girls, in what is thought to be nature's way of compensating for the fact that males were more likely to be killed hunting or in conflict.

But increasingly this ratio is slipping - it is calculated that 250,000 babies who would have been boys have been born girls in the U.S. and Japan alone.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
One actual concern from the environmental proliferation of these chemicals are endocrine disruptors that produce effects at extremely low doses.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
BTW, people living near farmland generally have worse sperm health than those living in large cities. Given how these things propagate, it becomes clear that property lines and boundaries exist only on maps.

way more

bigmit3737 said:
:lol :lol

And it has aspartame, which in really high doses causes cancer, so I have heard.

You would have to drink three lifetimes of diet soda in one sitting to replicate conditions that develop cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom