• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apogee Games and other classic Dos games

I just tried playing Mega Man 3 on Dosbox. Everything moves waaaay too fast. Also, old PC games without music are unsettling.

You need to turn the cycles way down. That game requires a very slow computer. You can change the cycles in DOSBox via a keyboard hotkey; I believe it's Control+F11/F12 by default. Drop it down to maybe a couple of hundred cycles to get that game to run well...

You need to turn the cycles way down. that game requirse a very slow computer. You can change the cycles in DOSBox via a keyboard hotkey; I believe it's Control+F11/F12 by default. Drop it down to maybe a couple of hundred cycles to get that game to run well...

Thanks. You also reminded me of an old computer tower I used to have that had either a turbo or slowdown button on it (maybe both) that I used to use on games. I can't remember which one that was, or why it would've been on the tower. I'm also sure it wasn't good for that computer.

12-weshouldworktogetherbrah.gif

WeirdDreams_Amiga_19.png

PC gaming was huge for me when I was younger. I also used to play some type of NFL football manager game on my Packard Bell but I can't find anything online about it. The games above are Bioforge and Weird Dreams.

xk0sm0sx

Hi, on this topic, anyone remember a shareware dos game that starts with "Elf"?

I remember there were lots of trees, apples, and two barriers at each side of the stage, and the folder name is called "Elf"

Moraff's World

MWOpeningScreen.JPG

I spent so much time on this. And of course on NetHack and other roguelikes.

Some other obscure ones I enjoyed:
Overkill
Ancients: Deathwatch
Omni-Play Basketball (the first sports game with a franchise mode? and not the Magic Johnson version, which was substantially different)

Also quite a few BBS games: The Pit, Land of Devastation, Barren Realms Elite, Trade Wars 2002, Legend of the Red Dragon, etc. Proto-Facebook games, basically, but designed for a more hardcore audience.

used to love playing heartlight. it's free now.

http://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Heartlight_PC.html
Heartlight_PC.png

also blockout. not sure how legal that download for blockout1 is, but blockout2 there is fine
http://www.blockout.net/index.php?option=com_ionfiles&Itemid=51

Apogee, now released as freeware, apparently.

yeah, been freeware for a while.

biomenacetitle.jpg

War has changed

biomenace is freeware as well

http://www.3drealms.com/downloads.html

some other fun freeware there too. and the expansion to shadow warrior and EROTT.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is essentially my teenage years in writing form. id, 3D Realms and Apogee are 3 names I especially associate with my teenage years. Wolf 3D started my love for first person games/shooters years and years ago.

I remember being 11/12 years old and up to that point I had played mostly consoles or Atari computers. Something like Rescue on Fractalus was my very first experience playing games when I was around 3-4 years old. Anyway years later on PC my dad says to me 'Son, I've got a game for you to try' and it was Wolf 3D. I was fucking amazed by it. What's this perspective ? Ooooh a gun. Screaming Nazis! I played the shareware of Wolf 3D religiously and then my dad got me the full game and I played that to death as well. Fighting and Killing Mech/Mini Gun Hitler is still one of my favourite experiences in a game "Eva, Auf Wiedersehen!"

Then of course Doom came out and again my dad says to me "I've got a new game called Doom, the guys who made Wolf 3D made it!"

Needless to say I near enough shat myself with excitement and when I got to sit down and play it my mind was blown even more. Demons! Awesome shotgun! Hell! Keycards! Needless to say I spent most days playing that too and then when Doom 2 came along I poured even more time into that. Doom 2 is a game I especially bonded with my dad over, he's always been into PC games/PC building and that was the game where I got my own PC to play it instead of always playing on his. That's probably why PC gaming is so special to me as that's very much how me and my dad have bonded over the years.

Another very special game as part of my childhood was Rise Of The Triad, I actually got the shareware version of that from a cover disk. I think it was one of the first FPS which used dual guns and of course I loved the shit out of it. Cool traps, gibs, "No! Don't Shoot!", Dog mode and bouncy pads. It's part of the reason I'm so excited about the new game

But yet so many games from my PC gaming childhood related to Apogee, 3D Realms, Interplay and loads of others. Commander Keen, Hexen, Hexen 2, Heretic, Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage (with swear pack "I'm gonna fuck yee!").

It's also the era that introduced me to my favourite developer Monolith Productions - Blood (ok I know that was mostly 3D Realms and Blood 2 was a disappointment), Noone Lives Forever 1 and 2, Shogo, Get Medievil etc (up to and including their modern stuff which I've loved as well)

Thinking back actually it's amazing to think how much of my gaming life is PC centric despite playing every console, handheld etc. I wouldn't want to think of the hours I've spent playing games :p

TLDR - I realise I've written essentially a blog post about my PC childhood.

AaronMT86

So glad I found this thread. I vividly remember going on a walk with my father to the computer shop in 1993 (?) and seeing rows of computer disks in zip lock baggies on the shelves and stumbling upon a Monster Bash [1] poster at the end of the aisle. Picking up that shareware game right there and then was my first dip into the world of Apogee Software at the time.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Bash

It's a bit hard to go back to a lot of these games nowadays. I never had an NES or SNES, I grew up on PC shareware platformers, but a lot of these games turn out to be quite a bit jankier than my memories would have it. Still: can't nobody say that iD Software weren't making all-time classics.

I had this exact CD!

Neo Child

Banned
It's a bit hard to go back to a lot of these games nowadays. I never had an NES or SNES, I grew up on PC shareware platformers, but a lot of these games turn out to be quite a bit jankier than my memories would have it. Still: can't nobody say that iD Software weren't making all-time classics.

I had this exact CD!

i had a similar disc my dad used to get called "golden games"

yknow was just a gold cdr disc with the name wrote on with a sharpie

probly his mate at work gott'em idk

currently recording an lets play on tyrian & wacky wheels 2player for my channel

Krejlooc

Banned
I have a 486 DX II with a Soundblaster 16 set up in my gaming room connected to a switch that will either output it to a CRT Computer monitor or the CRT TV screen using a VGA->SVideo converter. Got a few gravis gamepads and other retro controllers.

Rather than using an old harddrive, I popped in a CF->IDE kit that let me use CF Flashcards as harddrives. I found a kit from startech that let me mount the CF kit on the front of the PC as a drive bay and bought a bunch of 4 gb CF cards in bulk.

I went through, installed dos on each one, then edited the autoexe.bat to load up a single game per card. That way, I can swap games in and out of the system when it's turned off and they'll automatically load the correct game. This means no batch files to set the correct system settings.

Works incredibly smooth. I've been playing old games like Epic Pinball, Jazz Jackrabbit, RoTT, Terminal Velocity, One Must Fall, etc.

Those games are still awesome.

WarpathDC

Apogee was one of my favorites back in the day. I would go to keyword: Apogee on AOL and download all their shareware games. Sharewares were so generous back in the day, they were enough to satisfy me

So true. I never owned Doom or Wolfenstein but played the shareware versions for HOURS.

AlexIIDX

Oh man, my sister and I used to play Cosmo and Bio Menace all the time...wonderful nostalgia.

Also this game rocked and had SICK music

body-blow.png

Krejlooc

Banned
Oh man, my sister and I used to play Cosmo and Bio Menace all the time...wonderful nostalgia.

Also this game rocked and had SICK music

body-blow.png

I have the Amiga CD32 version of this game (Ultimate Body Blows) along with Body Blows galactic. I preferred Shadow Fighter personally.

Hocus pocus

Wacky wheels

Both classics i used to play on my grandparents computer

Funny you started this thread as i just downloaded them the other day

Dalius

Lots of good memories in this thread... I won't repeat any listed but 90% of the games in the thread formed my childhood.

Another great one was Novastorm. I believe it was also on the PS1, but I played it on DOS. It was like Star Fox with weird pre-rendered graphics, but it was AWESOME!

1128-novastorm-dos-screenshot-the-first-end-level-bosss.gif

novastorm_b.jpg

XaosWolf

it was all about this shit right here

41qt4GQbOiL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
51ACYRt3XUL.jpg

Holy shit, this CD was amazing. Thanks to my Dad for bringing home things like this for me and my brother.

God of Thunder, Cosmo, Halloween Harry, Hocus Pocus, Jill of the Jungle, Bio Menace, Duke II, Math Rescue, Secret Agent and Crystal Caves. Apogee = my jam factory.

Xane

zs0wnSM.jpg

I still play this, among many others. This thread is already nostalgia apocalypse for me.

Oh god, yes. I'm really missing these kinds of SHMUPs where you can actually use the score to upgrade your ship. There just aren't any being developed anymore. Tyrian 2000 and Jets 'n Guns comes to mind but that may very well be it.

lazygecko

Stargunner definitely needs more love. For an Apogee DOS game it was released very late, in 1996 I think. And it seemed poorly recieved at the time because 3D was the name of the game and the 2D shmup genre had gotten pretty saturated.

Another awesome forgotten DOS title was the 1994 survival horror game Ecstatica. You were stuck in an isolated medieval village and constantly stalked by what I assume was a werewolf, but it really looked more like some kind of monkey. Hard to tell with the 3D sphere graphics. The difficulty was really punishing but it was always amusing seeing all the different ways you could die

Sciz

Whoa they look like copies of Commander Keen 1-3, do they play alike, too?

There are similarities, in that they've got nonlinear level design with a focus on flipping switches and there's only one weapon. Crystal Caves puts the focus on collecting all of the treasure in a level, though, and Secret Agent is largely a reskin of CC. Both good games, although they're the sort of shareware that crams everything into the first episode and the paid episodes are glorified level packs.

Oh god, yes. I'm really missing these kinds of SHMUPs where you can actually use the score to upgrade your ship. There just aren't any being developed anymore. Tyrian 2000 and Jets 'n Guns comes to mind but that may very well be it.

Man your post bums me out knowing these types of shmups are rare.

My dad played endless hours of raptor. Still holds up graphically and gameplay.

Krejlooc

Banned

06_142.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'd like to recommend Ultionus: A Tale of Petty Revenge to everyone in this thread. It's a new game that's basically ripped straight out of the early 90's. Get huge Jill of the Jungle vibes from it (well, except in space).

Also, does anyone remember a game called Inner Space? It was an awesome shmup with tons of different ships. Loved it when I was younger. I went looking for it a year or so back, expecting to find it as abandonware or something, but it turns out that the author is still selling it on his website (that looks like it hasn't been updated for nearly 20 years), for like $30. Christ, man, let it go. :lol Or at least drop the price on your nearly 20 year old game.

Nikodemos

Stargunner definitely needs more love. For an Apogee DOS game it was released very late, in 1996 I think. And it seemed poorly recieved at the time because 3D was the name of the game and the 2D shmup genre had gotten pretty saturated.
AFAIK, it was also pretty hard, even on the lower difficulty levels, unlike, say Tyrian, Raptor or even Highway Hunter.

Another awesome forgotten DOS title was the 1994 survival horror game Ecstatica. You were stuck in an isolated medieval village and constantly stalked by what I assume was a werewolf, but it really looked more like some kind of monkey. Hard to tell with the 3D sphere graphics. The difficulty was really punishing but it was always amusing seeing all the different ways you could die
IIRC the werewolf was invulnerable; you needed to get close to end of the game in order to find something to kill it with. There was also a sequel, which was somewhat easier.

oatmeal

Banned
Oh! Now I know why Alien Carnage didn't sound familiar...the shareware disk I had was called Halloween Harry. Hearing that name again...my God.

Nikodemos

What I loved about Blake Stone was that you could stealth it. Not for long, true, but at the beginning of a level you could nail the handful low-level guards with your mini-blaster and, as long as they didn't shoot at you or push the alarm button, you were relatively safe. Of course, further in the level you were pretty much forced to bring out the dual blaster or even the plasma cannon, but it was a very nice touch. The mini-blaster had infinite ammo as well (though it fired slowly due to cooldown).

Lijik

My three jams as a kid were Jazz Jackrabbit, Crystal Caves, and Hocus Pocus. Replayed them recently too
mtENs3M.gif

As a kid I knew the shareware levels from back to front, even weird empty areas out of the level you could only get to using the jetboard cheat! I remember Episode C having some tough as nails levels (especially Deserto) but I think I just wasnt as patient back then.

tumblr_n5t070HOKL1qejutxo2_1280.png

" Weird to think that some kids might grow up thinking these are “Flappy Bird pipes.”
Never played the other two episodes, but the first one was a lot of fun! I totally forgot you could blast out the air pumps and make Milo's head explode

KG5Ao7G.gif

I swore for years up and down that Hocus Pocus still held up, but upon replaying it im not so sure. The core gameplay is fun enough, explore big fantastical castles to find a certain number of collectibles but the game doesnt do enough to shake things up. I was getting really bored by the end of the first episode, definitely a game meant for short bursts.

Top Bottom