• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Announces Ability to Download Apps Directly From Websites in EU

Bernoulli

M2 slut
The eu is going to force them again to changes the conditions

We’re providing more flexibility for developers who distribute apps in the European Union (EU), including introducing a new way to distribute apps directly from a developer’s website.

More flexibility​

Developers who’ve agreed to the Alternative Terms Addendum for Apps in the EU have new options for their apps in the EU:

• Alternative app marketplaces. Marketplaces can choose to offer a catalog of apps solely from the developer of the marketplace.
  • Linking out to purchase. When directing users to complete a transaction for digital goods or services on an external webpage, developers can choose how to design promotions, discounts, and other deals. The Apple-provided design templates, which are optimized for key purchase and promotional use cases, are now optional.

Distributing directly from your website​

Web Distribution, available with a software update later this spring, will let authorized developers distribute their iOS apps to EU users directly from a website owned by the developer. Apple will provide authorized developers access to APIs that facilitate the distribution of their apps from the web, integrate with system functionality, back up and restore users’ apps, and more. For details, visit Getting ready for Web Distribution in the EU.

Last edited:
Hilarious that they are only doing it in the EU. I knew they wouldn't allow this in the US. Which is their biggest market share and I'm pretty sure where they make the most money.

//DEVIL//

Hilarious that they are only doing it in the EU. I knew they wouldn't allow this in the US. Which is their biggest market share and I'm pretty sure where they make the most money.
People can just go to that site and download it. No ?

It shouldnt matter where you live. Obviously they are not going to advertise it.

StereoVsn

Note the caveats, that’s a lot of conditions, but first steps I guess.

I am just afraid from security perspective we are going to get to same crap we have on Android.

At this juncture I am going to have to get some O365 E3 licenses for my family and manage them through Intune MDM, lol.

Unknown?

Could you circumvent this with a VPN or is it firmware and/or hardware based?

Hudo

Maybe I can get an iOS version of Firefox that uses the actual browser engine and not Webkit. And also proper extension support.

People can just go to that site and download it. No ?

It shouldnt matter where you live. Obviously they are not going to advertise it.
It says to EU users so I don't think it will work on Iphones in the US. How they stop it I do not know but I'm sure it's simple enough for them to do that.

Could you circumvent this with a VPN or is it firmware and/or hardware based?
That I don't know. Not sure how they are going to lock it down.

It will be interesting how this turns out. The first app that comes out and ruins phones will be in the news everywhere when it happens. Apple just won’t warranty the stuff
This is interesting. I can see bunch of phones with malware. Alot of my family members get fooled by a calendar trick scam. Basically calendar that adds events and notifications like “youre phone has virus download this app”.

LordOfChaos

Wish we'd force them to do this in North America too. Obviously they'll rent seek and gatekeep as much as possible apart from what the law forces out of them, and even then allow as little as possible they can legally get away with until the law notices that too and comes around again.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wonder if this will drive EU sales as folks from non EU countries import iPhones.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I day let people do what they want but don't let them connect to the same service of people who don't.

I don't want an android level malware infestation.

MayauMiao

This is interesting. I can see bunch of phones with malware. Alot of my family members get fooled by a calendar trick scam. Basically calendar that adds events and notifications like “youre phone has virus download this app”.
If that were to happen I bet Apple is going to use this as an excuse why they need to block side loading again.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I am torn right now.

On the one hand, I hate Apple. This means that I love to see them get smacked down.

On the other hand, I hate government overreach, and this feels a lot like government overreach to me. If I make a product that is designed and contracted to be used a specific way, I don't see why the government has the right to come in and tell me to change it unless I'm actually harming people. In this case, people are not being harmed by Apple's fee. They can choose to not release an app on iOS, or they can pay the fees and still bring in 70% of their revenue on a product that they didn't design/develop/create/et cetera.

I just can't see this as a good thing, even if the intention is good. Maybe someone can open my eyes, though.

sofakng

Neo Member
I'm really glad that Apple is protecting the rest of us. Can you imagine what would happen if the rest of the world can download outside the app store? /s

On the other hand, I hate government overreach, and this feels a lot like government overreach to me. If I make a product that is designed and contracted to be used a specific way, I don't see why the government has the right to come in and tell me to change it unless I'm actually harming people. In this case, people are not being harmed by Apple's fee. They can choose to not release an app on iOS, or they can pay the fees and still bring in 70% of their revenue on a product that they didn't design/develop/create/et cetera.

I just can't see this as a good thing, even if the intention is good. Maybe someone can open my eyes, though.

This is a good tl;dr and there's a link to the full document at the bottom. Samsung users will be very happy with it!

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
My prediction has been that Apple is going to stop selling in the EU directly. This kinda supports that direction. It's gonna be an interesting battle.

It will be interesting how this turns out. The first app that comes out and ruins phones will be in the news everywhere when it happens. Apple just won’t warranty the stuff
I'm really not sure why so many people are championing for the ability to load malware to their iPhones. I can't imagine the tech support nightmare that this will present for Apple.

Imagine Sony or Microsoft being forced to allow people to load any game or app they wish onto their consoles directly from websites. What a security hellhole that would be. It would be like PC gaming.

reinking

Gold Member
I'm really not sure why so many people are championing for the ability to load malware to their iPhones. I can't imagine the tech support nightmare that this will present for Apple.

Imagine Sony or Microsoft being forced to allow people to load any game or app they wish onto their consoles directly from websites. What a security hellhole that would be. It would be like PC gaming.
I think most normal phone users championing this are not iOS users. It seems to be driven more by hate for Apple. I can see where developers want to bypass Apple chargers and loosen restrictions on software. Unfortunately, it is loosening restrictions that will allow the bad people to do bad things. I just hope things stay tidy for those that do not do dumb things like download software from untrusted sources.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
I am torn right now.

On the one hand, I hate Apple. This means that I love to see them get smacked down.

Ask Bing, Grok, Gemini and the like and you'll be enlightened. You will see the world through another lens, you will be finally free. But of course first we have to smack you in the head with a frying pan.

Top Bottom