• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Futureman

any one use the illustration app Procreate in here? I'm thinking it might fit all my needs for digital illustration.... 4K canvas size, layers, adjustable brushes, .PSD export.

I don't know why Adobe themselves can't make an iOS app with those features. It seems like they have a smattering of different iOS apps that can do parts of that, but not one single app that is good for digital illustration.

edit: HMMM AstroPad seems pretty great as well...

Guess Who

Banned
To be honest I think the biggest thing holding back legit pro software on iPad at this point is App Store economics. Selling $100+ software on the App Store would be an extremely uphill battle.

Blackhead

Redarse
Gruber says iPad pro has 4GB Ram:

Calls it a wager. Usually he says things like this as more than just a guess.

Adobe too

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/10/adobe-claims-ipad-pro-has-4gb-ram/

Awesome. Oh just realised this doesn't have the 3D Touch/Force Touch. I hope Apple included some way to do the popover Safari links

I want the pencil to work with all future ipads of all sizes. Id love an ipad mini with the pencil.

Agreed I've always wanted an official pen for iOS but the iPad Pro looks too big for comfortable note taking (anybody tested the palm rejection yet?), seems more geared to the artist types. I'd prefer an iPad mini with the pencil or even an iPhone Plus

To be honest I think the biggest thing holding back legit pro software on iPad at this point is App Store economics. Selling $100+ software on the App Store would be an extremely uphill battle.

For the smaller developerz yeah but Microsoft and Adobe are already setup with subscription cloud strategy. Really no reason for Adobe not to offer a suitable professional suite for this iPad

(anybody tested the palm rejection yet?), seems more geared to the artist types. I'd prefer an iPad mini with the pencil or even an iPhone Plus
You can see palm rejection being showcased in the reveal movie.

Also, try the samsung note4 for a phone with sketching abilities. It works wonderfull. Although i think a mini or even a ipad air is a better size for on the go sketching.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
you have to use iTunes but I can usually plop MKVs and AVIs and the like in there without hassle

A+ news. This is why I got away from iOS ~3-4 years ago, but I'm contemplating going back to it after having some headaches with Android. Sure, all that storage is nice. But if I can get a couple hundred for my Note 4...iPhone 6s+ and iPad Pro may be in my future.

But I do need to play with it before I buy it. That's my biggest thing. I do wonder how iPad apps will translate over to the larger screen. That's going to be another weird issue to overcome.

Somnid

I'm quite happy with what they seem to have here. I mean it's super cringe-worthy seeing them pat themselves on the back over things Microsoft has been doing for years but that's how things go, you steal good idea to make a good product. Having a tablet with real stylus support (and unlike Android will actually get apps because it's a first party effort) is great, we should have had this since iPad 1. Surface has too much PC baggage (shame the public shunned RT), I don't want shitty background apps like Adobe Cloud running on a tablet. I want very predictable and manageable applications with good security. Quadraphonic audio is another things I've been waiting to see someone do for years because it makes a lot of sense. A little bit disappointed it didn't also get 3D touch but I can live with that.

Of course then it boils down to: it's too expensive. I mean $800 for the device isn't the worst (storage aside), but the accessory cost is insane. $100 for the stylus is a lot and $160 for a crappy keyboard cover (keyboards and tablets mix terribly especially without a separate trackpad) is obnoxious, might as well just get a Macbook. But overall my hope is that other manufacturers looking to match Apple will pick up styluses and we'll see them on small and cheaper devices moving forward.

Riptwo

I'd bet that there's still a market. I've bought iOS audio apps in the $30-50 range pretty frequently, since they're still a steal compared to a lot of desktop tools. I've also bought stuff like Final Cut Pro X through the Mac App Store, so $100 for the right apps wouldn't be a huge barrier for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm interested to see how app developers combine desktop and iPad pro apps to work together. Ideally you'd be able to easily bring a document across from eg Lightroom or photoshop on the PC/Mac, edit on the iPad pro, and sync back to the PC. Not sure if the limited file management of iOS will get in the way for that, but Lightroom on iPad seems ok.

As for how professional it is, people need to stop thinking solely about the classic desktop apps. Most of the big developers like Adobe will provide excellent apps for iPad pro and if the performance is there (low lag on the pencil, good resolution and pressure sensitivity) then it'll be a great tool for content creation and editing.

I also hope future iPads support the pencil - my kids would be able to use their iPads for drawing etc. Art academy on 3DS is great fun, something like that on an iPad mini or air would be even better.

Futureman

the future iPads will need to have specific hardware built in for the Pencil to work. I could see, at least for the time being, Apple keeping this a part of the "Pro" feature set.

I bet the iPad Pro 2 will have 3D touch and 64 GB low end storage.

It's a shame that ios9 is the OS and not Mac OS 10. By that alone the surface is Superior.
This is simply the largest problem this tablet has. Using a mobile operating system for a 13" screen makes this device a companion device that is too large to be particularly mobile without it being a primary device.

This is simply the largest problem this tablet has. Using a mobile operating system for a 13" screen makes this device a companion device that is too large to be particularly mobile without it being a primary device.

I think the new multi-tasking stuff will go a long way to remedy that. It's not as useful at OS X yet but I could see using this as a primary device.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
There are not that many missing desktop solutions I'd want on iOS. I can think of Mindmanager and the Nik Collection, and that's it. I hope both will come to the iPad Pro, which seems easily powerful enough to handle it.

Servbot24

Banned
I think I'll need to see how professional artists integrate this into their workflow before buying. I don't expected to do finished marketing illustrations, but I do want to be able to do presentable drafts which can easily be exported to Photoshop.

I don't really see why people are comparing this to the Surface. They're completely different classes when it comes to products. iPad Pro doesn't even have a proper file system or a USB port, or anything close to full desktop functionality. This thing can't replace a laptop when it comes to functionality just because they added stylus support to an iPad and made it bigger. The operating system needs to be overhauled.

Future

I think the new multi-tasking stuff will go a long way to remedy that. It's not as useful at OS X yet but I could see using this as a primary device.

Have you used your existing iPad as a productivity device? I went a good year trying to do this doing everything from word processing to presentations and notes. Bought a Bluetooth keyboard as well.

The biggest issues for me had nothing to do with side by side multitasking. It was the lack of a universal file system and just low quality apps compared to desktop equivalents. Using my fingers to move the cursor on the screen for text was also pretty ridiculous

I mean it was possible to get around those things, but when I went back to a normal laptop I just had to laugh at all the bullshit I was going through to do basic shit that takes 5 seconds on a laptop due to iOS. I feel this iPad will probably be very interesting as a high tech drawing pad for artists, but I will be shocked if anyone actually uses it in favor of a true productivity device for productivity

Guess Who

Banned
iOS 9's changes to iCloud Drive make it a pretty robust replacement for an actual filesystem, assuming apps actually adopt it. There's very little most people need to do with a ~real filesystem~ that can't now be done through iCloud Drive.

Using my fingers to move the cursor on the screen for text was also pretty ridiculous

They've largely fixed this in iOS 9 with the new two-finger selection.

Have you used your existing iPad as a productivity device? I went a good year trying to do this doing everything from word processing to presentations and notes. Bought a Bluetooth keyboard as well.

The biggest issues for me had nothing to do with side by side multitasking. It was the lack of a universal file system and just low quality apps compared to desktop equivalents. Using my fingers to move the cursor on the screen for text was also pretty ridiculous

I mean it was possible to get around those things, but when I went back to a normal laptop I just had to laugh at all the bullshit I was going through to do basic shit that takes 5 seconds on a laptop due to iOS. I feel this iPad will probably be very interesting as a high tech drawing pad for artists, but I will be shocked if anyone actually uses it in favor of a true productivity device for productivity

I've been using it as my main device during business trips for a while now. Between the iCloud drive app and cloud services in general for my work documents it's been perfectly fine for me. I will admit though this probably wouldn't have been as easy if I was a designer working with large image files and whatnot. Also, like the poster above me mentioned, text selection is easier now with the two finger trackpad-like feature.

JaggedSac

I'm interested to see how app developers combine desktop and iPad pro apps to work together. Ideally you'd be able to easily bring a document across from eg Lightroom or photoshop on the PC/Mac, edit on the iPad pro, and sync back to the PC. Not sure if the limited file management of iOS will get in the way for that, but Lightroom on iPad seems ok.

As for how professional it is, people need to stop thinking solely about the classic desktop apps. Most of the big developers like Adobe will provide excellent apps for iPad pro and if the performance is there (low lag on the pencil, good resolution and pressure sensitivity) then it'll be a great tool for content creation and editing.

I also hope future iPads support the pencil - my kids would be able to use their iPads for drawing etc. Art academy on 3DS is great fun, something like that on an iPad mini or air would be even better.

One would think cloud services would make this a standard feature in today's world.

toneroni

A+ news. This is why I got away from iOS ~3-4 years ago, but I'm contemplating going back to it after having some headaches with Android. Sure, all that storage is nice. But if I can get a couple hundred for my Note 4...iPhone 6s+ and iPad Pro may be in my future.

But I do need to play with it before I buy it. That's my biggest thing. I do wonder how iPad apps will translate over to the larger screen. That's going to be another weird issue to overcome.

I use aceplayer a lot to transfer videos these days on iOS.
Plays pretty much everything with audio track/sub support and I can transfer using WiFi, FTP or play through my NAS.
I think this is can be a laptop replacement if you're not a super power user or do most of your stuff on the web. Would be good for some people with older ipads that need a replacement. Still haven't replaced my ipad4 yet even with an SP3 since its so much easier to get on it and use it for quick things.
Kind of wish there was a good mix of those two. SP3 with better apps or iPad pro with "desktop OS" while keeping iOS app support.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've been using it as my main device during business trips for a while now. Between the iCloud drive app and cloud services in general for my work documents it's been perfectly fine for me. I will admit though this probably wouldn't have been as easy if I was a designer working with large image files and whatnot. Also, like the poster above me mentioned, text selection is easier now with the two finger trackpad-like feature.

Depending on you line of business though, leaning too heavily on iCloud Drive isn't ideal. Flying, or travelling by train with intermittent signal, or staying I hotels with crappy wifi - you still need a decent chunk of local storage or at least some control over what remains local on your iPad in case you will be away from a connection for a while.

It would be nice to get mouse support though. Simoly moving a cursor around a document is clunky and slow. Haven't tried the two finger thing but mous support would still be nice.

In terms of comparisons with surface pro, it is basically a race between how quickly MS can really ootimise Windows 10 for touch, vs how quickly thousands of separate developers can bring out a meaningful raft of productivity apps. And I'd guess the devs will win. Of course if you absolutely have to use a particular app that is only on Windows then a surface is your only choice. But you don't *need* a desktop OS to have professional grade apps.

muu

Depending on you line of business though, leaning too heavily on iCloud Drive isn't ideal. Flying, or travelling by train with intermittent signal, or staying I hotels with crappy wifi - you still need a decent chunk of local storage or at least some control over what remains local on your iPad in case you will be away from a connection for a while.

It would be nice to get mouse support though. Simoly moving a cursor around a document is clunky and slow. Haven't tried the two finger thing but mous support would still be nice.

In terms of comparisons with surface pro, it is basically a race between how quickly MS can really ootimise Windows 10 for touch, vs how quickly thousands of separate developers can bring out a meaningful raft of productivity apps. And I'd guess the devs will win. Of course if you absolutely have to use a particular app that is only on Windows then a surface is your only choice. But you don't *need* a desktop OS to have professional grade apps.

I'm likely going to get a Surface 4. It's not a tablet that I want though, I want the small superlight PC. If it runs VMs with aplomb it'll make working wherever easier, and field deployment will be much easier than carrying around my current 17inch mammoth.

Apps could be great for individuals, freelancers that can use whatever they want. Just can't see it transferring to a structured workplace very well.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
If only the software wouldn't suck so hard when used in tablet mode.

Also I love it when the fan goes on when watching a movie and it gets quite hot between me and my Surface 3.

Yeah, here's to hoping that SP4 fixes these things. I think the surface will always lag behind the ipad in terms of tablet mode use.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I use aceplayer a lot to transfer videos these days on iOS.
Plays pretty much everything with audio track/sub support and I can transfer using WiFi, FTP or play through my NAS.
I think this is can be a laptop replacement if you're not a super power user or do most of your stuff on the web. Would be good for some people with older ipads that need a replacement. Still haven't replaced my ipad4 yet even with an SP3 since its so much easier to get on it and use it for quick things.
Kind of wish there was a good mix of those two. SP3 with better apps or iPad pro with "desktop OS" while keeping iOS app support.

I use my desktop for most everything. My iPad 2 is mostly for games and browsing the web. If I were to get an iPad Pro, it would be my primary portable computer/toy. My wife uses our iPad 2 for recipes and Pintrest and such, so we would definitely keep it for stuff like that. Her Air we bought a few months back has been INCREDIBLE, and her 15" 2010 MBP would be a fine choice for me if I wanted a laptop. I'm just going to sell that thing to help fund the iPad Pro I think.

That said, I'm not looking for a device to act as laptop replacement. I am fortunate enough to have a job that allows me to fund the purchase of new toys like this. It's not something I need to replace something I don't have - it's simply a really fun and powerful toy. If I can watch movies and shows on it while traveling, do some word processing stuff, and play fun games and dick around with apps, I'll be content.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If only the software wouldn't suck so hard when used in tablet mode.

Also I love it when the fan goes on when watching a movie and it gets quite hot between me and my Surface 3.

For that reason alone I'd never even consider a surface pro. A tablet should be fanless. Period. I want it to be a solid slab of glass and metal without any whirring fans inside.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm mildly interested. Mainly because of the bigger screen, which would be nicer for reading PDFs of scholar research articles that's one of my main uses for my iPad Air (and iPad 2 before it).

But it's a bit pricey just for that convenience, and I'm not sure the added size is worth the form factor trade off. Will have to check it out in person.

I doubt I'd get the pencil. My handwriting is god awful, so I'd rather type and highlight things rather than write on documents. And I don't have any artistic ability so I don't care about that.

Keyboard looks fine, but pricey. I'm happy with the Logitech Keyboard I got for my Air for like $50 on sale. Plus I don't use it super often as I have a work-provided Dell XPS 13. I'll just use the ipad and keyboard sometimes for simple writing out of the house since the battery is way better than the laptop (since it's a couple years old) and it's more portable.

aka_bueno

Without at least one usb input and a proper file system, ugh...

Does anyone know if this thing has palm rejection?

For anyone curious about the palm rejection....

"That aside, while we were scribbling with it the pen seemed to work more or less as Apple described. It responded to light and firm presses, and as we tilted the pen the lines we were drawing changed. Palm and wrist rejection also seems to work well—at one point an Apple rep running a demo laid his entire forearm on the iPad's screen without affecting the pencil. Apple includes an undisclosed number of replacement tips for the pencil, since they'll wear down over time (the representative we talked to compared it to a ballpoint pen refill), and Apple will also sell replacement tips separately"

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/hands-on-with-the-ipad-pro-its-keyboard-and-its-pencil/

If the iPad pro really has 4 gb then the price $799 starting point is really good. Many hands on have mentioned now that the apple pencil is the best stylus ever created for the iPad

So hold up. There's no real way to get a nice angle to draw on this thing is there? You're pretty much always going to be drawing on a flat surface?

Top Bottom